Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential parking in King's Island area

• 15-04-2019 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been living on Wolfe Tone Street with the residential parking permit, but I have to move in the near future. There's a place going at Abbey River Court on King's Island, but the Council won't issue permits for that area. The only nearby garage is Barrington's, and that's €100 a month.

Does anyone know of any alternatives that residents in the area avail of, or is it just the cost of doing business?

My work days are Wednesday to Saturday, so I'm caught for Mondays and Tuesdays during the day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

The car park up by the castle is free and open every day

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry for the thread bump, was investigating other areas.
    My main worry would be overnight parking. Is the King John's car park open all year round?
    People obviously live in the vicinity and own cars, I'm just wondering what do they do?

I may chance my arm for the first week or month, but if I start getting tickets (or worse, clamped), I'll take the hit and pay for the car park (900 for the year).

Thanks again for the assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

The castle car park used to close in Oct & re-open in April. I’m pretty sure it opens all year round now though.

Worth mentioning it’s opening hours are roughly in line with that of the castle. It’s closed before 7 in winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Is this parking area owned by the hotel or is it disc controlled? It might be worth looking in to.
    Street view link

Google Maps Link

478674.png

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote:
    Is this parking area owned by the hotel or is it disc controlled? It might be worth looking in to.

I missed that! That looks great! According to the sign across the road beside the hotel garage, it's a public secure park. Thanks a million for pointing that out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I missed that! That looks great! According to the sign across the road beside the hotel garage, it's a public secure park. Thanks a million for pointing that out!

You might need to double check about restrictions there because I'm really not sure.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

It seems to be designated as 2 hour parking under the Northern District as per the Council:
    http://www.limerickparking.ie/LCC/Home/PDFMap

I will try my luck for a month as regards Mondays and Tuesdays; if I end up getting stung on a regular basis then the car park is my only option.

Thanks again for helping out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

The picture posted by h3000 the onstreet parking is disk parking but the area behind it (the square area?) as far as I know is not. I've parked there on many occasions when at conferences in that hotel and never put up a disk or anything (blind luck maybe...). Worth noting is that area fills up very quickly in the morning and I wouldn't expect a space after 8.30am

It's worth a shot anyway! It boggles the mind how people living in that apartment complex get by penalised (in effect) for having a car... Maybe I'll ask some of the other tenants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I find it hard to believe that the Council won't/don't issue resident permits for this area. There is no mention of 'excluded areas' on their website.
    Surely the residents of Athlunkard St/Island rd can get permits (which would be where you would be looking to park....)

Is it just Residents of the Abbey River Court Apartments that are being refused, or all local Residents ?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, that was what I was told over the phone. I asked to change my address for the permit, they asked where, and when I told them Abbey River court, they said they don't do that.
    From the Application for Residential Parking Permit:

Applicants should be aware that residents of certain residential developments do NOT qualify for Residential Parking Permits, as parking for these developments has been provided for, under the Grant of Planning Permission.

It appears that the residents of the apartment block are expected to park in the multi-story.

Advertisement