Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon crack

Options
  • 15-04-2019 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I am from drogheda and yesterday got a crack on my carbon seat stay anyone recommend someone reasonable priced to fix it ,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I don't think you will anybody to repair a seat post.
    Apart from anything else, it wouldn't make financial sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Exactly, with carbon repairs costing €300 or more I don't know why you would want a seat post repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mikoooo

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I don't think you will anybody to repair a seat post.
    Apart from anything else, it wouldn't make financial sense.

Sorry I meant to say seat stay not post.

tuxy wrote: »
    Exactly, with carbon repairs costing €300 or more I don't know why you would want a seat post repaired.

Sorry I meant seat stay not post .

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Hmmm... Am i reading wrong? He says seatstays not seat post? That's makes a difference imo.
    Anyway Carbotec in Palmerstown can do it easily I believe.

Edit: now it's clear :).

• Advertisement

sin_26 wrote: »
    Hmmm... Am i reading wrong? He says seatstays not seat post? That's makes a difference imo.
    Anyway Carbotec in Palmerstown can do it easily I believe.

Edit: now it's clear :).

Thank for the feedback, they quoted 350 ,is that a reasonable price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mikoooo wrote: »
    I am from drogheda and yesterday got a crack on my carbon seat stay anyone recommend someone reasonable priced to fix it ,thanks

Give bill a call
    http://www.customcomposites.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I am from drogheda and yesterdsy cracked my carbon seat stay ,can anyone recommend someone who is reasonable priced to fix it ,thanks .

Carbontec do superb and quality repairs. https://www.facebook.com/carbontecire/
    Fixed mine and its as good as new.

Beware cheap and cheerful offers as you really need it done properly.
    Lots of bodge jobs floating around out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Thank for the feedback, they quoted 350 ,is that a reasonable price ?

Only you can answer to that :). How much you like your frame? How prepared your budget are etc.
    Try to check multiple sources to get idea. And at the end of the day you can fix it yourself ( seatstays are probably the easiest to repair). Check YT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What make/model and age frame is it? If it’s a newish high end frame then €350 might be a reasonable price but for something a few years old and not particularly high end then it’d make more sense to buy a new frame set.

• Advertisement

What make/model and age frame is it? If it’s a newish high end frame then €350 might be a reasonable price but for something a few years old and not particularly high end then it’d make more sense to buy a new frame set.

It is a canyon ultimate cl sl ,4 years old

http://www.cycleplus.ie/

I got a carbon seat tube and down tube repaired by these people a few years ago.
    I would highly recommend them.

I think, there's a chap in Julianstown, that does carbon bike repairs.
    He's on the left side of the road just past the village, heading south, beside the coal yard.
    I know nothing about him, but handy for you. It might be worth your while looking him up.

Edit.
    I've just realised that this is the chap that ted 1 is talking about

It is a canyon ultimate cl sl ,4 years old

painted or raw finish?

ted1 wrote: »

I was on to bill,he gave me a good quote but wants me to strip the bike,not sure what he means by stripping the bike ,its only on the seat stay the crack is

painted or raw finish?

Black mat finished

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭cletus

I was on to bill,he gave me a good quote but wants me to strip the bike,not sure what he means by stripping the bike ,its only on the seat stay the crack is

I'd assume it means he wants the frame only, but I'd say if you asked him he'd tell you...

ted1 wrote: »

I got a good quote from him but he wants me to strip the bike , not sure what he means the crack is only on the seat stay.

Black mat finished

Mine was a Canyon, same finish.
    Cycleplus did a great job, matching the finish, virtually indistinguishable from original.

I'm in Drogheda, if you want to have a look at my repaired bike.

Mine was a Canyon, same finish.
    Cycleplus did a great job, matching the finish, virtually indistinguishable from original.

I'm in Drogheda, if you want to have a look at my repaired bike.

I'll get in touch with them thanks eamonn.

As I remember, I only had to take the wheels off the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Wayne at http://www.cycleplus.ie/ is a great guy and mechanic. I’d definitely recommend him.

Just to update, I got my frame repaired by carbon composites Ireland in julianstown at a very reasonable price,and to be honest they did an excellent job and I would highly recommend them. Thanks everyone for their advice.

Advertisement