Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an ultra light bike for short commute

Options
  • 15-04-2019 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Need some help finding a replacement bike. I’ve a short 2-3 mile commute for work, with stairs at home and at work to carry the bike.

I currently have a dutchie but need something lighter. I’d like something minimalist like a fixie but with gears. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I’d like something minimalist like a fixie but with gears.
    a fixie that's not a fixie? you're asling for a road bike.

your options are:
    cheap
    light
    strong

you get to choose two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

a fixie that's not a fixie? you're asling for a road bike.

your options are:
    cheap
    light
    strong

you get to choose two.

Cheap wasn’t one of the OP’s requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fixie but not? Belt drive. Lovely commuters. Tad expensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hi all,

Need some help finding a replacement bike. I’ve a short 2-3 mile commute for work, with stairs at home and at work to carry the bike.

I currently have a dutchie but need something lighter. I’d like something minimalist like a fixie but with gears. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Thanks

Brompton maybe? Or Montague if you like full size wheels. Pretty much designed for what you describe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cheap wasn’t one of the OP’s requirements.
    i know, but if it's only a two or three mile commute it'd be a waste to spend a lot of money on a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

i know, but if it's only a two or three mile commute it'd be a waste to spend a lot of money on a bike.

Waste money on a bike??? I don't think so... :pac:

it's against the forum charter, haven't you read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

It's can be expensive, but check around second hand on adverts:

Personally I have a 5K cycle each way: I got a Giant defy composite 2 for a reasonable enough price about 4 years ago and use it all the time.

It's incredibly light (composite framed), but it's a race bike with dropped handlebars, which might not be your jam.

I lock it up inside my job and inside my house. Any time it's locked up publicly I have 2 extremely heavy locks on it.. which increases my overall cycling weight. DOH.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

The first thing that comes to mind for me would be a Brompton for ease of lugging up and down stairs.

Since you've only a short commute, a single speed might be a good option? You don't really need gears, unless you've some hideous hill somewhere in those three miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Miklos wrote: »
    The first thing that comes to mind for me would be a Brompton for ease of lugging up and down stairs.

Since you've only a short commute, a single speed might be a good option? You don't really need gears, unless you've some hideous hill somewhere in those three miles.

That's my thinking also.

I have a folding bike that is a single speed with pedal back brake. I find it usefully lighter and less to maintain.

If I was starting over I'd get a brompton two speed bike with mudguards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If I ever had to go back to work, using something like this, to get there, would make it more bearable

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/fuji-feather-city-bike-2019/rp-prod179651

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If I were facing your choice, my personal biases would have me looking at it from this perspective:

* Things that I'd want on a commute bike despite them adding weight (though arguably you don't need some or all of these for a particularly short commute): full mudguards, pannier rack, dynamo hub, dynamo lights, relatively wide tyres (28mm minimum, probably 35mm max).

* Things I'd happily do without for a short commute: gears.

So personally I'd go with a single speed bike with clearance for wide-ish tyres, and with mudguard and pannier mount points.

Advertisement