Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing schools CID

Options
  • 16-04-2019 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

I currently have a CID 22 hours in my school but for various reasons I am considering looking for a new job. I am a Dublin based Home Ec teacher.
    I have been in my school 10+ years so a bit unsure on what is the story with CIDs? Do I need to work 2 years before I get one? Could I get one in less time? I don’t want to waste my time or any prospective school’s time in applying for jobs that aren’t “proper jobs”! Should I ring them before applying?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Hi,

I currently have a CID 22 hours in my school but for various reasons I am considering looking for a new job. I am a Dublin based Home Ec teacher.
    I have been in my school 10+ years so a bit unsure on what is the story with CIDs? Do I need to work 2 years before I get one? Could I get one in less time? I don’t want to waste my time or any prospective school’s time in applying for jobs that aren’t “proper jobs”! Should I ring them before applying?

Thanks

Back to square 1 unless youre redeployed. CID at the start of your 3rd consecutive year on your own hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Back to square 1 unless youre redeployed. CID at the start of your 3rd consecutive year on your own hours.

Not necessairily so. A school can offer a CID at any stage but must offer one after the 2 years.
    I've seen adds for posts with CIDs ....albeit for Principal/Deputy positions.

It'd be worth a shot OP to ask in interview as Home Ec is in short supply.... is this the gap year cos of the course duration change over?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 taking the leap

Not necessairily so. A school can offer a CID at any stage but must offer one after the 2 years.
    I've seen adds for posts with CIDs ....albeit for Principal/Deputy positions.

It'd be worth a shot OP to ask in interview as Home Ec is in short supply.... is this the gap year cos of the course duration change over?

Yes no graduates this summer!
    I have a mortgage and young family so tbh I really would only be interested in a handful of schools close to my home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know of someone in a similar high demand subject who would also like to move nearer where he grew up but is caught in this start again situation, since there appear to be no proper wholetime posts any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Anyone know what percentage of male HE teachers there are out there?

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I know of someone in a similar high demand subject who would also like to move nearer where he grew up but is caught in this start again situation, since there appear to be no proper wholetime posts any more.

Has your friend left? I think their will be “proper” jobs. Can you be made permanent straight away or given a cid? Has your friend ever asked?
    I will feel very cheeky asking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

bobbyss wrote: »

I've been in a lot of schools and only saw one and he was out of the classroom giving in-services on behaviour.

Has your friend left? I think their will be “proper” jobs. Can you be made permanent straight away or given a cid? Has your friend ever asked?

I thought this could happen but someone told me that you now have to wait for the two years before CID...would love clarification.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, he's still where he is.
    In the old days. you got a PWT job and that was that, as long as your probation year went OK, you were in.

Now you get a full hours CID, but who's to know if the hours will be there next year/school will shut etc..

Some school is missing out on a really excellent teacher of the first national language who just can't take the chance of going back to start the CID wait again, even if it is only a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

bobbyss wrote: »

There are currently 8 in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I thought this could happen but someone told me that you now have to wait for the two years before CID...would love clarification.

Me too! I have seen CID jobs (not home ec) advertised and permanent jobs advertised.
    I won’t leave my job if I have to wait 2 years.

spurious wrote: »
    No, he's still where he is.
    In the old days. you got a PWT job and that was that, as long as your probation year went OK, you were in.

Now you get a full hours CID, but who's to know if the hours will be there next year/school will shut etc..

Some school is missing out on a really excellent teacher of the first national language who just can't take the chance of going back to start the CID wait again, even if it is only a couple of years.

Did your friend ever put their cards on the table at the interview?
    I think there are big problems in Dublin with teachers. I recently received an email from my son’s future primary school to say the taster day has been cancelled as they now have no Junior Infants teacher!! My colleague told me another teacher (in the school in question) left midway through the year as they found the rent too expensive!!

Sorry to derail this thread but what does rpt mean and what does fixed term mean? Is one better than the other? Thanks a million

Sorry to derail this thread but what does rpt mean and what does fixed term mean? Is one better than the other? Thanks a million

Save typing

https://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/non-permanent-teachers/what-contract-do-you-have

Thank you, ok so basically fixed term means for a specific time ie a year could be career break or rpt or maternity or secondment?

My own job was always my “own hours” under the old rules I did 4 years then I got my CID.
    Are your own hours called “rpt”?

Thank you, ok so basically fixed term means for a specific time ie a year could be career break or rpt or maternity or secondment?

My own job was always my “own hours” under the old rules I did 4 years then I got my CID.
    Are your own hours called “rpt”?

Always try for RPT contracts but if you get two fixed term's, you are eligible for CID in year three provided there are hours in your subject. Fixed term's can start at any time where RPTs start first day of term for 12 months incl. holidays.

Always try for RPT contracts but if you get two fixed term's, you are eligible for CID in year three provided there are hours in your subject. Fixed term's can start at any time where RPTs start first day of term for 12 months incl. holidays.

So 2 rpts get you cid? Can you get cid straight away from rpt? Thanks

So 2 rpts get you cid? Can you get cid straight away from rpt? Thanks

Yes assuming there are hours in year three. I asked your second question in another thread but didn't get an answer. I always assumed you could.

Yes assuming there are hours in year three. I asked your second question in another thread but didn't get an answer. I always assumed you could.

Ok thanks so I must of been rpt all those years ago when I started in my own school on my own hours!
    Here’s hoping re CID/Permanent straight away....as otherwise I will just stay where I am ;)

Also with regard to references do they check before your interview or after? I wasn’t going to tell my work!!!!

• Advertisement

Ok thanks so I must of been rpt all those years ago when I started in my own school on my own hours!
    Here’s hoping re CID/Permanent straight away....as otherwise I will just stay where I am ;)

You probably had and had to wait for your fifth year for CID. You won't get permanent/CID straightaway and will have to reinterview after your first year. You have an in demand subject and I've seen lots of maternity leaves in the past year but I haven't seen a position offering a CID/permanency in any subject.

Also with regard to references do they check before your interview or after? I wasn’t going to tell my work!!!!

I presume after you've been interviewed - they wouldn't check all applicants references - it would take too long.

You probably had and had to wait for your fifth year for CID. You won't get permanent/CID straightaway and will have to reinterview after your first year. You have an in demand subject and I've seen lots of maternity leaves in the past year but I haven't seen a position offering a CID/permanency in any subject.

Ok on educationposts at the minute there are 3 permanent home ec jobs!

Ok on educationposts at the minute there are 3 permanent home ec jobs!

That's very unusual...maybe principals are fed up interviewing and watching people come and go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

There are currently 9 permanent second level jobs advertised - 8 in Dublin, and one full time CID. That doesn't include ETB positions. There were several last year too. I was offered two permanent Maths jobs in Dublin last summer. My former school appointed two people permanent straight away last August too. I know of 5 permanent positions that weren't filled in Dublin for this year. I think you have a decent chance of getting permanent in Dublin with Home Ec.

There are currently 9 permanent second level jobs advertised - 8 in Dublin, and one full time CID. That doesn't include ETB positions. There were several last year too. I was offered two permanent Maths jobs in Dublin last summer. My former school appointed two people permanent straight away last August too. I know of 5 permanent positions that weren't filled in Dublin for this year. I think you have a decent chance of getting permanent in Dublin with Home Ec.

Ok wow! Were both of the jobs you were offered advertised as permanent? Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Ok wow! Were both of the jobs you were offered advertised as permanent? Thank you

One was a voluntary school and it was advertised as permanent. One was an ETB where you apply for any positions arising in any subject in any school, the letter inviting to interview said it was permanent.

One was a voluntary school and it was advertised as permanent. One was an ETB where you apply for any positions arising in any subject in any school, the letter inviting to interview said it was permanent.

Ok that was great...well done :)
    I have my eye on a job but it is not advertised as permanent it’s rpt :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Does any of the hours have to be your own? I was covering a job share and always thought you had to have your own hours in year 3 - turned down a job share in school I liked working in last year in favor for a school where they were offering me full hours RPT. Contract system of hours and conditions in Ireland is so ridiculous. I left a permanent position to move closer home four years ago - still not CID and I have Irish.

• Advertisement

Snapgal wrote: »
    Does any of the hours have to be your own? I was covering a job share and always thought you had to have your own hours in year 3 - turned down a job share in school I liked working in last year in favor for a school where they were offering me full hours RPT. Contract system of hours and conditions in Ireland is so ridiculous. I left a permanent position to move closer home four years ago - still not CID and I have Irish.

Jobshare hours are your own hours. If I were in your position, I would also have taken the full hours RPT contract because the job sharer may only be taking one year or worse than that two, leaving you unemployed again after two full years in the school.

Advertisement