If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamaha YSP-2700 and connection via SPDIF

Options
  • 16-04-2019 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hello,

I have been looking at buying the Yamaha model mentioned above to boost the sound coming out of my TV and the various devices that I have connected to it (Blu ray player, Sky + box both via HDMI). My TV is a bit old at this stage, Philips 42 inch plasma (42PFL5603D/10). There is no optical audio output but there is a SPDIF output, which i understand is a digital audio output signal. The port on the TV is a circular one. 
    The TV works fine so not looking to change that one for the moment (its on the list though once 4K gets a bit more mainstream).

My question is what cable do i need to connect the TV to the yamaha unit?

Why does the yamaha unit have so many HDMI ports and other inputs for it? (not complaining just curious)

Thanks in advance
    Burger.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

burger1979 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have been looking at buying the Yamaha model mentioned above to boost the sound coming out of my TV and the various devices that I have connected to it (Blu ray player, Sky + box both via HDMI). My TV is a bit old at this stage, Philips 42 inch plasma (42PFL5603D/10). There is no optical audio output but there is a SPDIF output, which i understand is a digital audio output signal. The port on the TV is a circular one. 
    The TV works fine so not looking to change that one for the moment (its on the list though once 4K gets a bit more mainstream).

My question is what cable do i need to connect the TV to the yamaha unit?

Why does the yamaha unit have so many HDMI ports and other inputs for it? (not complaining just curious)

Thanks in advance
    Burger.
    Hi Burger,

Does your TV have an HDMI input? If it does you can use the YSP2700 almost like an AV receiver with your Blu Ray and Sky + box connected to the inputs on the soundbar and the soundbars HDMI output connected to the TV. Connecting it this way will give you better sound for both Sky TV and your Blu Ray and it will read more sound formats through HDMI. Having more HDMI slots just gives more connectivity.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I have 4no HDMI inputs on the television (3no on the back and 1no on the side). There are 3no devices connected, Sky + box, blu ray player, and chromecast unit. 
    So I could connect those devices to the yamaha unit (not the chromecast) and then connect that to the tele via the HDMI output on the yamaha? 
    If i was to do this, what would control the master volume? Example, I turn on the sky box and TV and the soundbar with the new setup, the TV then produces no sound, and all sound comes from the bar?

does the bar come with a HDMI cable supplied in the box?

thanks for the advice, some stupid questions but just want to get it right from the off. 

burger

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I have 4no HDMI inputs on the television (3no on the back and 1no on the side). There are 3no devices connected, Sky + box, blu ray player, and chromecast unit. 
    So I could connect those devices to the yamaha unit (not the chromecast) and then connect that to the tele via the HDMI output on the yamaha? 
    If i was to do this, what would control the master volume? Example, I turn on the sky box and TV and the soundbar with the new setup, the TV then produces no sound, and all sound comes from the bar?

does the bar come with a HDMI cable supplied in the box?

thanks for the advice, some stupid questions but just want to get it right from the off. 

burger

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi burger,

thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

If your TV has HDMI control ( ie ARC / CEC) then you will be able to control the main functions of the YSP2700 via the TV remote including power and volume - and in this setup you would be better to turn off the built-in TV speakers and let the YSP2700 do all the hard lifting as it will sound radically better than the standard TV speakers.

The YSP2700 comes with optical cable in the box but does not come including a HDMI cable but we do a super short HDMI cable from Audioquest at just €25.95 including shipping:https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200471-audioquest-pearl-hdmi-1m-hdmi-lead.aspx

If you did not want to change the set-up of your existing TV in how it is connected, the YSP2700 also has a Co-Ax Digital input and you could use the Co-Ax output from your TV straight into the YSP2700 and leave your devices connected via the TV but we would not recommend this for various reasons - direct HDMI connection will work out way better!

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I didnt mean to post twice above, apologies for that. I have found the Philips spec page on my TV unit on line (https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/42PFL5603D_10/lcd-tv-with-pixel-plus-hd/overview). I noticed that there is CEC built into the unit (refer to overview section and about half way down the page, there is a video on it), something i didnt think the TV had as I thought this was some newer form of HDMI communication/spec that only applied to newer TV's. The HDMI connections are listed as V1.3 though thats the only thing, and i dont know if this has am impact on the CEC usage with the soundbar??

Also it doesnt state if any of the particular HDMI connections have the CEC or do they all have that?? (refer to specifications page).

Even if it didnt have the CEC/ARC Contorl on the TV, i can still use the soundbar as as AC receiver as stated by David above, I would just need a new HDMI cable??

Thanks for all the help, and apologies for any confusion caused, just want to make sure that i get it right.

Also are you open Easter Monday?

Burger.

• Advertisement

Hi again Burger,

that 5603 was a fantastic TV - way before it's time and great PQ - we sold 1000's of them and unfortunately most of them refuse to stop working!!

In relation to the CEC/ ARC on the 5603 that was a pretty early version, I can't remember exactly but it is possible that not all HDMi's on the 5603 were CEC enabled but generally they were - however as it was a pretty early (2008) ARC/CEC I could not guarantee 100% that its protocol will control the YSP2700.

On using the YSP2700 as the main hub for all your sources, yes! - that is 100% the correct way to use it.

On Easter Monday - yep, unfortunately we ARE open - normal Bank Hol hours - 13:00 - 17:00 but we are closed on Easter Sunday..

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi John,

PM Sent.

Burger.

Thanks Burger,

I'll revert asap :)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.