Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think I'll wait until digital foundry run more articles before jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Skimmed through the video and I choose to believe they just announced acquiring the Dead Space IP. :)

There was some wildly optimistic speculation of Sony purchasing some Konami IP's. I can't see it myself though.
    I can see Silent Hills happening as there seem to be a lot of smoke about it, if not Kojima is going to make something very similar to his original idea & I still hold out hope for Bluepoint to remake the original MGS eventually.

The launch Xbox One was a joke because it was both more expensive and less powerful. The worst of both worlds!
    I think this will be more straight-forward. The Series X is clearly more powerful and you would have to assume will be $100-200 more than PS5.

I think Sony will do a PS5 Pro 2-3 years after launch. PS4 Pro came 3 years after launch but if there's a perception that PS5 is underpowered they might rush a Pro system.

The rumoured cheaper Xbox is the wildcard. Some say it's cancelled, some say they just went quiet on it. If they came out with a $300 system that plays next-gen games at 1080p they would sell a lot of units at xmas. An awful lot of people just want to play Fifa and Cod as cheap as possible. If Microsoft had both the cheapest system and the most powerful, that would be pretty significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The launch Xbox One was a joke because it was both more expensive and less powerful. The worst of both worlds!
    I think this will be more straight-forward. The Series X is clearly more powerful and you would have to assume will be $100-200 more than PS5.

I think Sony will do a PS5 Pro 2-3 years after launch. PS4 Pro came 3 years after launch but if there's a perception that PS5 is underpowered they might rush a Pro system.

The rumoured cheaper Xbox is the wildcard. Some say it's cancelled, some say they just went quiet on it. If they came out with a $300 system that plays next-gen games at 1080p they would sell a lot of units at xmas. An awful lot of people just want to play Fifa and Cod as cheap as possible. If Microsoft had both the cheapest system and the most powerful, that would be pretty significant.

The current X will be the cheap option. Then in three years you'll see the X Plus or something like that which will effectively give you three tiers. Then eventually the One X will be retired the other two become the base and mid tier and a newer more powerful top tier will be launched.

Microsoft are moving towards cloud gaming and subscription services. The consoles are just one way they want you to use their services going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gradmedgirl

Any not just get the Xbox Series X, its the most powerful on the market, even more so than PS5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Oddly looking forward to the ridiculous arguments regarding which is better based on effectively nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's not nothing, it seems fairly clear the Xbox is more powerful, but that really means nothing. Meant nothing when the Xbox was more powerful than the PS2, the 360 than the PS3, or the PS4 being slightly better than the One in turn.

Comes down to game library, which is where the Xbox One failed badly. I mean the One X is head and shoulders above the PS4 Pro but noone really cares that much for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well it's obvious the Series X is better. I mean X is the roman numeral for 10 and 10>5 so therefore better. Though 10 is binary for 2 and 2 < 5 so PS5 wins

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If you've always got an Xbox, you'll get the Xbox.

If you've always got a Playstation, you'll get the Playstation.

If you're on the fence, the only thing that matters is price. No person is looking those consoles and thinking "Hmm, teraflops though..." because the difference in performance is like splitting hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

J. Marston wrote: »
    If you've always got an Xbox, you'll get the Xbox.

If you've always got a Playstation, you'll get the Playstation.

If you're on the fence, the only thing that matters is price. No person is looking those consoles and thinking "Hmm, teraflops though..." because the difference in performance is like splitting hairs.

Whynotboth.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Whynotboth.gif

tenor.gif

That's why!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Its disappointing that the PS5 doesn't have full backward capability with PS4.

sugarman wrote: »
    Exclusives.

That's what separated the XB1 & PS4 for most part of their life as they were close enough on performance and price at launch until both consoles introduction revisions and price cuts 3-4 years later.
    They were not close in price or performance at launch. Xbox One was significantly less powerful than PS4 and $100 more. It took them 6 months to release a $399 model without kinect.

They also massively bungled their pre-launch.

These factors were key in PS4s success (or Xbone's failure).

The superior library of exclusives became a factor later on, it was just the nail in the coffin rather than the thing that killed Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I think it's as close as it could be without limiting the PS5?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

They were not close in price or performance at launch. Xbox One was significantly less powerful than PS4 and $100 more. It took them 6 months to release a $399 model without kinect.

They also massively bungled their pre-launch.

These factors were key in PS4s success (or Xbone's failure).

The superior library of exclusives became a factor later on, it was just the nail in the coffin rather than the thing that killed Xbox One.

Bang on. It wasn't the power, it was the misjudging of the market and their belief that Kinect and the integrated options of the Xbox would prevail, which proved a colossal mistake.

The Xbox was beating the PS3 for a long time and eventually both broke even roughly speaking, but MS's terrible gamble on the Xbox One as a "family home device" cost them dearly, now they're dramatically behind.

They did get back some goodwill with the One X being the most powerful home console, but raw power will only take you so far. It's the exclusives that seal the deal, hence why the PS5 is still in the absolute best position, regardless of how powerful, or lacking in power, it actually is.

Microsoft need an absolute raft of "killer apps" to claw their way back to parity with Sony, let alone be the better console.

I say that as an Xbox/PS4 owner, and I prefer the Xbox, but they really dropped the ball last time around and I hope they learn from that, focusing on brute power is a minuscule part of the debate.

N64 was more powerful than PS1 (though I know cartridge played a role there, but case in point again), Gamecube/Xbox more powerful then PS2, etc.

Raw power doesn't ever amount to anything in console wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Whynotboth.gif

I got a 4K TV and an Xbox One X just because it had an UHD Blu-ray and I wanted to play red dead in the best possible version. I never play it and always fall back on my PS4, and particularly my switch.

So getting both can often be a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

It does.

Lifting this from reddit:
    Yeah, I'm going to try to inject some much-needed clarity into this thread. Here's the actual part where he talks about backwards compatibility.

The very first thing he says is "The Playstation 5 GPU is backwards compatible with Playstation 4."

He goes on to say that the way they achieved backwards compatibility is by putting PS4 logic into the PS5 chip. It seems like PS4 (and PS4 Pro) games can use a "legacy mode" to play exactly like they would on their native system. This sounds to me like every PS4 game will be playable in legacy mode, because the PS5 basically switches to behave like a PS4. No upgrades, but the games are playable.

Then he talks about playing PS4 games at "boosted frequencies" and the boost is "massive." This is where the "top 100 games" comment comes in. I believe he's referring to playing games in "boosted mode" rather than legacy mode, and most of the 100 games they tested will be playable like this on launch.

Even if that's not true, he's specifically talking about games they've tested, not which games will run. Nobody should be freaking out right now saying PS5 is only backward compatible with 100 games. The language is a little bit ambiguous, so I think we'll have to wait for a real announcement about backward compatibility features to be sure.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I found the presentation absolutely fascinating. I'm not pushed on the audio side of things, much more interested in the power/heat/fan noise. Headphones or loud volume is a no no for me with a toddler so i keep the volume to medium but the fans down out most of the sound and i need to have subtitles on. I would take quiet gaming over graphical improvements tbh. I love the sound of the quick loading, will be very interesting of they can manage what he says in terms of less design restriction as there won't be a need to hide segments of in-game loading.

Cerny speaks in a clear and rehearsed way. If he says almost all of the top 100 will be playable at launch you can take it literally, you don't need to put words in his mouth. "Oh maybe he means boosted mode" etc. No. He means what he says. It means most of the top 100 will work, and by definition some will not. Back-compat is using a whitelist system. Games will not be allowed to work at all unless/until Sony test and whitelist them.

I don't think it's a big deal personally, I am confident everything I own will be playable at launch or soon thereafter. But if we are being semantic it is not full PS4 backwards compatibility. It will be full enough so as to be effectively full BC for most gamers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Homelander wrote: »
    Bang on. It wasn't the power, it was the misjudging of the market and their belief that Kinect and the integrated options of the Xbox would prevail, which proved a colossal mistake.

The Xbox was beating the PS3 for a long time and eventually both broke even roughly speaking, but MS's terrible gamble on the Xbox One as a "family home device" cost them dearly, now they're dramatically behind.

They did get back some goodwill with the One X being the most powerful home console, but raw power will only take you so far. It's the exclusives that seal the deal, hence why the PS5 is still in the absolute best position, regardless of how powerful, or lacking in power, it actually is.

Microsoft need an absolute raft of "killer apps" to claw their way back to parity with Sony, let alone be the better console.

I say that as an Xbox/PS4 owner, and I prefer the Xbox, but they really dropped the ball last time around and I hope they learn from that, focusing on brute power is a minuscule part of the debate.

N64 was more powerful than PS1 (though I know cartridge played a role there, but case in point again), Gamecube/Xbox more powerful then PS2, etc.

Raw power doesn't ever amount to anything in console wars.

Agreed. I have no idea what half the stuff mentioned in the conference means. If it means games load incredibly fast, download/install faster, run better and have better graphics, I'm sold.

The key selling point for both is going to be Gamepass for MS and Exclusives for Sony. And both sides are going to start emulating the other more, with new exclusives from the studios MS bought/formed, and Sony likely putting more weight into PS Now to be a Gamepass competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

sugarman wrote: »
    Exclusives.

That's what separated the XB1 & PS4 for most part of their life as they were close enough on performance and price at launch until both consoles introduction revisions and price cuts 3-4 years later.

All these specs are meaningless. You're perfectly right, it's about the games and fun.

I'll do the same as I did for the PS4 and XBox One. Sit down and look at the games I like and want to play. There'll always be cross platform titles but I'll let the series or exclusives I want to play decide. Hence iniitally going for the PS4 for Uncharted, Infamous, The Last of Us, God of War, Bloodborne, Horizon, Wipeout etc.

Then I picked up the XBox for cheap last year for the Halo and Gears games, and also for Forza.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭solidasarock

Interesting specs.

Definitely not a raw power monster like the Xbox Series X but it seems like Xbox went into it wanting to make a no compromise brute that is probably going to cost a bunch and PS5 was designed on a budget and they had to get creative

Anyway.... my mild take is so far both consoles seem like they are not messing anything up majorly for a change. After the PS3 that generation and the XB1 last gen you always saw some clear hardware headaches from a mile away. Here? Nothing is jumping out at me. Sure the PS5 is weaker on paper but its a smaller gap then previous generations and at least both consoles seem to have the fundamentals right and no one has gotten "weird" with anything. Everyone has the same CPU and RAM. GPU is a 20% gap which isnt earth shattering and both have a SSD.

Only bummer seems to be the PS5 Backwards comparability situation. Their wording was so weird and open to interpretation I got to assume they messed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

backwards compatibility didn't really harm the PS4 (although I guess we'll never know for sure). There was so many fecking remasters anyway I bought a lot of them twice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Exactly. I'll never understand the want to have BC. Yeah, it's great. But I'm buying a new console, for new games, or at the very least games remastered or upgraded for the new console. Even with PS Now, I haven't touched anything pre-PS4. Makes no sense to me tbh.

Faster/No load time, improvements to the small graphical details that add to the experience, as I think the actual quality is already very high, it's the world around characters that need focus this time, imo.

Either way, I'll be getting the PS5 at launch. I've had all PS's, and missed out on the OG Xbox and One.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Taken from a post on reddit, which itself was taken from the Kotaku Splitscreen podcast, Jason Schreier talks about what developers think about PS5;
    ...the people I've been talking to over the past few months and the past couple years who are actually working on the PlayStation have pretty much unanimously all said: This thing is a beast. This thing is one of the coolest pieces of hardware that we've ever seen, we've ever used before. There are so many things here that are revolutionary, so many behind-the-scenes tools and features, APIs, and all sorts of other stuff that is way beyond my scope of comprehension.

...So let me be clear. So what I'm hearing from people actually working on these things is that the Xbox is not significantly more powerful than the PlayStation, despite this teraflops number, and that the teraflops --

This is going to lead to weeks and weeks of talk about how Xbox is the most powerful console, and so on. Meanwhile I'm getting texts even today from developers being like this is such a shame -- the PS5 is superior in all these other ways that they're not able to message right now or can't talk about right now. I heard from at least three different people in the past couple of hours since the Cerny thing being like, wow, the PS5 is actually the more superior piece of hardware in a lot of different ways, despite what we were seeing in these spec sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Any word on a new controller? I know it sounds crazy but the PS4 controller made me sell my PS4, it was still too small for me and the trigger buttons are horrendous.

Also regarding backwards compatibility, as someone who missed out on some of the critically acclaimed PS3/PS4 classics, I'd love to play them if I had a PS5 and not over a streaming service please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I have been watching and listening tentatively over the past two years whenever updates on where the next gen consoles are likely to be when realized.

From the info I have digested,
    The Xbox is aiming for more power in raw figures in the same vane as the PC market quotes for PC performance. Add a faster graphic card and get better graphics, Add a faster CPU and get a faster system... etc.

PS5 is targeting an all round integration of the package to enhance the end result, it is a much more holistic approach. the components are designed around each other to enhance each other.

I believe that the PS5 will be the better system overall as it is a ground up package.

So much more was not touched on by Cerny at the briefing, The haptic feedback controller for example.

I personally think that the news that most of the top 100 PS4 games will work on day 1 is fantastic news. I will have a lot of games to play on day 1.

We will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Exactly. I'll never understand the want to have BC. Yeah, it's great. But I'm buying a new console, for new games, or at the very least games remastered or upgraded for the new console. Even with PS Now, I haven't touched anything pre-PS4. Makes no sense to me tbh.

Faster/No load time, improvements to the small graphical details that add to the experience, as I think the actual quality is already very high, it's the world around characters that need focus this time, imo.

Either way, I'll be getting the PS5 at launch. I've had all PS's, and missed out on the OG Xbox and One.

Back Compat is not high on my list either. I think it was trumpeted by Microsoft during the current generation to make up for the lack of current gen games.

• Advertisement

Back compat is a selling-point for me because I have a decent-sized PS4 library which i've spent good money on. I will want to play a lot of them again in the future. For me it's no different than movies, I rewatch old movies all the time.

Obviously I could just keep the PS4 but it would be better if I could get rid of it, trade it in etc. So it's not a must but it's definitely a selling point. Makes me more likely to day 1 adopt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement