Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

Back Compat is not high on my list either. I think it was trumpeted by Microsoft during the current generation to make up for the lack of current gen games.

For me back compat is not an issue at all. Have never understood the real fascination with it. It has been a thing since the PS2 days so not necessarily something I feel is exclusive to Microsoft. However, a lot of people to put a lot of stock in it so I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

In saying all that, Microsoft has done a tremendous job regarding backwards compatability this generation. I say this owning the X which has a lot of enhanced games from previous generations. Playing Panzer Dragoon Orta at 4K is something special (if not a bit of a novelty).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Going to get both of them in the long run anyway, didn't get the Xbox this gen as I have a fairly powerful PC so didn't see the need this time around....

I will get the Series X and PS5 probably at launch...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,725 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Backwards compatibility can be important at the launch of a console, as it might take a while after launch for other new games to come out and to start building up a library of games for the new console. I did find myself switching back to my PS3 a bit after the PS4 launch because there wasn't a lot to play on PS4 at launch.

So some backwards compatibility on PS5, especially where they say nearly all of the top 100 PS4 games will be playable or enhanced on PS4, is perfect imo. I can't imagine myself replaying many games older than that anyway at this stage, as most I would have were already remastered or re-released.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sony updated their blog about BC.

"We believe the overwhelming majority of the 4000+ ps4 games will play on ps5". "These games will play on boosted mode for increased frame rates and resolution where possible."

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1241066561596559360?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭solidasarock

Glad they cleared that up. They probably shouldn't have taken 2 whole days to do it.

Only worry is that line about some games needing additional work from the original developers.

In comparison Xbox's BC team handles everything in house. They dont change gamecode, they should tweak the emulator per game and get final approval from the rights holder. That seems like a better road to go down to get cool stuff done since most teams wont want to move someone to patching legacy games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Glad they cleared that up. They probably shouldn't have taken 2 whole days to do it.

Only worry is that line about some games needing additional work from the original developers.

In comparison Xbox's BC team handles everything in house. They dont change gamecode, they should tweak the emulator per game and get final approval from the rights holder. That seems like a better road to go down to get cool stuff done since most teams wont want to move someone to patching legacy games.

Tbf Cyberpunk will eventually get a patch to optimise performance on the next Xbox. I think other games will need to do it as well to maximize their performance. I'm sure they will do the same with PS4 but it's hard to know will those patches be available day one or not.
    Stuff like Ghost of Tsushima & Last of Us 2 can't exactly have been tested yet either but I hope they will get patches instead of re-releases on PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ERG89 wrote: »
    Tbf Cyberpunk will eventually get a patch to optimise performance on the next Xbox. I think other games will need to do it as well to maximize their performance. I'm sure they will do the same with PS4 but it's hard to know will those patches be available day one or not.
    Stuff like Ghost of Tsushima & Last of Us 2 can't exactly have been tested yet either but I hope they will get patches instead of re-releases on PS5.

CD Projket Red have said that there will be a free upgrade to the Series X version of Cyberpunk if you own the One version. So they must be developing for both generations.

I assume it'll be the same for PlayStation but they never specifically mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Likely that this will be delayed given everything that's going on as work on it is likely stopped now or significantly less than planned.
    Then when work gets back under way there will be further delays as their suppliers get back up to speed so there's a lot of knock on affects from the current lockdown.

Sidford wrote: »
    Likely that this will be delayed given everything that's going on as work on it is likely stopped now or significantly less than planned.
    Then when work gets back under way there will be further delays as their suppliers get back up to speed so there's a lot of knock on affects from the current lockdown.

If anything there will be stock shortages at launch but hard to see them not getting it out this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Back compat is a selling-point for me because I have a decent-sized PS4 library which i've spent good money on. I will want to play a lot of them again in the future. For me it's no different than movies, I rewatch old movies all the time.

Same here. I think my count is up to 150-ish at the moment and I've only played a fraction of those. I'm not as pushed on new fancier graphics as I would have been when I was younger so I'll happily play an older game. Having the option of playing new games and being able to dip into my PS4 library is very appealing.

It's hard to see how it won't be delayed. Sony are saying that because they have to but the amount of countries in lockdown and the potential lengths of these lockdowns.

I hope it will launch at end of year but everything is up in the air at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1247615850863091713?s=19

Haptic feedback, which adds a variety of powerful sensations you’ll feel when you play.

Share button is now the Create button.

Built in microphone.

Adaptive triggers into the L2 and R2 buttons.

Holy ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

That's not great looking is it?

Also I hope the buttons are actually buttons and not just small touch pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Looks very "space age"

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Forgive the ignorance but what are adaptive triggers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Forgive the ignorance but what are adaptive triggers?

It reads like it's a mix of sensitive buttons with built in feedback of some sort (likely rumble) but it's being billed as a new feature so might be more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

according to the internet

Firstly, the PS5 Adaptive Triggers are going to be special enhancements integrated into the L2 and R2 buttons. What exactly will these do? Well, developers will be able to program a sort of “resistance” for the triggers, meaning that you could need more or less trigger to push the button down. These adjustments can be made to fit what you see on-screen; as an example, a more powerful bow with a higher draw weight might give you more pushback on the PS5 Adaptive Triggers.

These Adaptive Triggers will work hand-in-hand with the new haptic feedback feature, an upgrade that is going to totally replace the older “rumble” technology found in current and past DualShock controllers. The combination of the two techs will mean that the DualShock 5 is going to feel much more immersive than its predecessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Don't like the dual colour. Gimme simple black.
    I do like the new look of the controller though and the big light bar is gone but replaced with 2 light strips.
    And USB C!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It'll be interesting to see if the haptics can genuinely add to the experience or whether they'll just wind up being something of a gimmick. I guess that will down to the individual developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Weird thing is it might be closer to the DS4 than the DS4 was to the DS3.

slight curve at the bottom of the hand holds.
    Sticks and face/d pad don't look much different in placement, there's no flattened area around buttons.
    plastic between buttons and the L/R1 is smooth without that flatten area so it looks a bit further but might not be.

So other than the internals, it's a bigger touch pad and they've change the form as much as possible without effect function. Not sure why they'd bothered. Longer thicker palm rest for the improved rumble but overall it looks like one of those protective skins you can get for the DS4.

It reads like it's a mix of sensitive buttons with built in feedback of some sort (likely rumble) but it's being billed as a new feature so might be more to it.

It's probably like Nintendo's HD rumble and Xbox triggers.

Not a fan of white and i would have been happy if everything was the same with a bigger battery. All the new features sound very thirsty and even they mention an improved battery, i have my doubts. Currently, i turn off vibration in most games just to save battery which is ****.

Interesting the share button is now the create button, surely do people can get livestreaming quicker.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Not a fan of white and i would have been happy if everything was the same with a bigger battery. All the new features sound very thirsty and even they mention an improved battery, i have my doubts. Currently, i turn off vibration in most games just to save battery which is ****.

Interesting the share button is now the create button, surely do people can get livestreaming quicker.

If the controller is white then the console is most likely white as well I'd imagine. Doubt they'd have two color options for launch would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

gimli2112 wrote: »
    according to the internet

Firstly, the PS5 Adaptive Triggers are going to be special enhancements integrated into the L2 and R2 buttons. What exactly will these do? Well, developers will be able to program a sort of “resistance” for the triggers, meaning that you could need more or less trigger to push the button down. These adjustments can be made to fit what you see on-screen; as an example, a more powerful bow with a higher draw weight might give you more pushback on the PS5 Adaptive Triggers.

These Adaptive Triggers will work hand-in-hand with the new haptic feedback feature, an upgrade that is going to totally replace the older “rumble” technology found in current and past DualShock controllers. The combination of the two techs will mean that the DualShock 5 is going to feel much more immersive than its predecessor.

So pressure sensitive buttons? I'm sure the PS2 and PS3 controllers had that and they had it on the face buttons too.

I remember in the Metal Gear Solid games you could gently press square to raise your gun and gently let it go to lower it with firing a shot.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If the controller is white then the console is most likely white as well I'd imagine. Doubt they'd have two color options for launch would they?

Yeah, looking that way. Currently, my ps4 pro has an inch space under my tv. If the ps5 is bulkier, out will have to go in the tv unit shelf (probably not because of overheating) or on the ground beside the unit which wouldn't be ideal. Mad to know what the console looks like now.

Also, not sure about the mic array unless it comes with a handy mute button somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

J. Marston wrote: »
    So pressure sensitive buttons? I'm sure the PS2 and PS3 controllers had that and they had it on the face buttons too.

I remember in the Metal Gear Solid games you could gently press square to raise your gun and gently let it go to lower it with firing a shot.

I remember this with "The Bouncer" and you did different moves depending on how hard you pressed the buttons, ridiculously hard to pull off the "soft touch" moves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Xboxesque

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement