Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I never remember so much anxiety over a console launch. Either I wasn't so heavily invested in the past or Sony has won the nex gen console war before it's begun.
    We'll all end up with crap systems and switching to the x-box in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

I will say that this thread has already been instrumental in helping people secure launch PS5s-myself included, yous are all heroes:)

I’ve already recommended to people who are still waiting to keep an eye on this thread as it’s possibly the best indicator for how to get one, and if I hear of any stock I’ll be updating here too.

I would say anyone who keeps an eye here should have little problem picking up one before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MrZibi

The Smyths website is some craic, I've gotten as far as entering my delivery address so far and then bam, the out of stock message!

same happened twice, so far no luck, need to automate chrome to refresh the page every few seconds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishnian

Cina wrote: »
    Reliable but the PS5 box isn't within their dimensions

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/pricing-sizing

Whoops.... I did an order with Amazon using them, should I change it to Parcel Motel? I haven't used it in a while, so not sure about the oversize rules and stuff like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Can someone please tell me if I'm happy enough to wait until mid-December to get my hands on a PS5 do I need to be pre-ordering now?!

ie. After the initial rush on 19th/20th November will there just be normal stock on shelves a few weeks later for the normal Christmas lead up?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

The Smyths website is some craic, I've gotten as far as entering my delivery address so far and then bam, the out of stock message!

My tip - make sure you're logged into the website. My debit card was there from previous orders so I just had to put in the CVV number which sped things up. I actually didn't get a confirmation onscreen - it crashed. I got the confirmation email though so it's ordered!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

McFly85 wrote: »
    I will say that this thread has already been instrumental in helping people secure launch PS5s-myself included, yous are all heroes:)

I’ve already recommended to people who are still waiting to keep an eye on this thread as it’s possibly the best indicator for how to get one, and if I hear of any stock I’ll be updating here too.

I would say anyone who keeps an eye here should have little problem picking up one before Christmas.

Ya threads like this are perfect example of Boards at its best for once! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me if I'm happy enough to wait until mid-December to get my hands on a PS5 do I need to be pre-ordering now?!

ie. After the initial rush on 19th/20th November will there just be normal stock on shelves a few weeks later for the normal Christmas lead up?

Thanks.

You won't see normal stock levels till well after xmas I'd say.

Thanks.
    Probably won't be, November will get Christmas traffic I imagine plus there could be a backlog of unfulfilled preorders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

Don't bother. Smyths didn't notify plenty of us who were registered from the start.

I know ! I signed up for their email notifications on day 1 of them taking interest - never got an email from Smyths :(

I only found out Ireland had opened preorders from an American Youtubers video! Sending US buyers to pre-order from Gamestop here as preorders hadnt opened in the states yet!

So I was about 1 hour late to order and were sold out.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Thanks.

I'd say you will need to preorder ASAP as there will be a lot of disappointed people who haven't gotten one by not preordering...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Argos.co.uk are worth a shot at midnight tonight. They say they're ready for pre-order from Friday.

Argos.ie don't give a date/time but I'd assume they're the same.

Harvey Norman could be another although they've nothing online yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Thanks.

Would say you'd still need to preorder now. ~4 odd weeks isn't much of a difference.

It's a long time until launch and a lot of preoders will be getting made as new batches get allotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Pipmae wrote: »
    My tip - make sure you're logged into the website. My debit card was there from previous orders so I just had to put in the CVV number which sped things up. I actually didn't get a confirmation onscreen - it crashed. I got the confirmation email though so it's ordered!

I think your Husband might be having an affair with yer wan Sally from the Accounts Dept.

- We should get together beautiful and sexay Pipmae Darling, start a new hobby maybe?...Next gen Console gaming perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

freakyJ wrote: »
    Called into Currys in Jervis about 20mins ago, was able to pre-order for 5 euro as a user above mentioned. They said I was the 5th person to preorder with them.

You had to go outside and talk to people though. Hard pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Argos.co.uk are worth a shot at midnight tonight. They say they're ready for pre-order from Friday.

Just rang tallaght HN n guy said they weren't doing pre orders for another few weeks.. keep and eye on the website he says!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya threads like this are perfect example of Boards at its best for once! :D

Yupp and to add to that, I found a 10% discount for any PS5 pre-order

PS5 - Pre-order Discount

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

MrZibi wrote: »
    rang smyths in Navan to ask and they are completly sold out but wait for update (email) but if they get more its safer to get down to the store to secure one.

I pre ordered mine in Navan at about 9:30 This morning, there was loads of people in there doing the same thing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Zero-Cool wrote: »

PS5 - Pre-order Discount

You absolute........:D

Anyone try asking in the chat yet?

i might later when its calmed down a bit
    This is the response I got from customerservicesdirector@amazon.co.uk

I sent a friendly and informative email mentioning that it was not on the prohibited items list, mentioning that they had shipped consoles here for years etc.
    "My name is Hazel I am a member of the management team at Amazon.

Amazon.co.uk can dispatch many items to virtually any address in the world. However, we can't send certain products to certain locations for operational and regulatory reasons.

For general information about delivery restrictions please visit our "Delivery Restrictions" help page:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=524836

I hope this information helps. Have a lovely afternoon."

Useless cut & paste reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

PS5 - Pre-order Discount

Yeah, you had to go and ruin it...

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Did 5 euro deposit in Currys Limerick. They don't have any idea how many stock they will be getting and it's first come first serve so I imagine they will keep taking deposits well past what they actually will have which is a bit dodge.

Also couldn't be told how many people pre-ordered ahead of me but can't imagine too many as they only started taking pre-orders around 45 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Some of you might like to try a web page monitoring browser extension or app - get a ping/SMS/push notification when a web page you're monitoring changes (for example, from "Currently unavailable" to "In stock").

I used Visual Ping years ago and found it good, but don't know how it fares these days. But there are others I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

The_Brood wrote: »
    I don't understand this selling out business, why don't Playstation make/ship enough consoles? They've been doing this for how many decades, surely by now they should be able to calculate demand?

I develop consumer electronics and there are loads of reasons for this.
    Some (possible) reasons:

1 - Factories can only handle so many units at a time. Each console goes through tests which last x amount of time so throughput is finite. The cost/benefit ratio decreases when you attempt to sell more units than you can handle. There's no point in building a bigger warehouse/factory/adding more assembly lines, testing facilities and staff. Most people who can't get a pre-order will just wait and still purchase a unit so why would the manufacturer give themselves higher overheads on day one when they can just restrict the number of units available on day one, save some money, and still sell the same number of units, only over a slightly longer period.
    Savings like this bring own the retail price of the unit which is essential too.

2 - Materials/Components have (sometimes long (6months+) lead times, a manufacturer will source the chassis in one place, the power supply in another, the ICs and passive components from others and it takes time to make these parts and ensure they're all coming in at the same/right time. Take the PS4, different day one models had different fans and things as they couldn't get the quantities of the same fans .

3 - Customer services can only handle so much. They sell 10,000 units on day one. Within the first 24 hours, they could potentially have say 120,000 hours of use/testing, this will identify bugs, people will complain etc. Sometimes numbers are purposefully limited so that it eases the burden on the teams responsible for handling this.

4 - Online resources are limited, you do not want 10k/100k/500k users (or whatever number they chose) logging on to your new servers at the same time, downloading update etc. so a decision is often made to restrict this by limiting numbers of units sold/available.
    Typically only a certain percentage of users are online downloading updates, browsing the store etc. at the same time. It's pretty certain that on day 1, all users will be doing this and it creates a surge in demand that is not usual.
    Why create services capable of handling 200% of normal usage just to pacify the day 1 surge in use? You don't, you drip feed products to the market to prevent this.

5 - it costs a lot of money to make things, similar to building housing estates in phases, manufacturers use the pre-order sales to fund the manufacture of more units. The risk involved in assuming you're going to sell 100k units and building them up front only to find there is little interest or worse, a critical issue with the production run means they need to issue refunds, is huge.
    To combat this, you build in stages, get 1,000 units out the door, are they OK? No, there's a faulty component, then you can fix this before the next batch. It means customer confidence is increased and the costs of rework are reduced as it's always more affordable and quicker to make changes as you go rather than opening boxes and stuff like that.

Oh, and in my experience, never buy a day 1 model of anything, ever. If it's a console, a phone, a stereo, it doesn't matter. The first versions of things will always have some bug, maybe small, maybe large. They'll be heavier, hotter, noisier, more expensive, less power efficient and so on. The development time goes in to making it work, not into making it perfect. That's why e're inevitably going to see a MkII PS5 out in 12-18months.

Hope that helps answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

PS5 - Pre-order Discount

ColorlessFabulousAmericanavocet-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Biscuit80

Cina wrote: »
    Reliable but the PS5 box isn't within their dimensions

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/pricing-sizing

Do we know the size of the PS5 box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Smyths had some again online just now but gone again

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

PS5 - Pre-order Discount

"Another Ps5 at 10% off,dont mind if I do......"

:mad: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The Irish Argos do not do pre orders like its UK counterpart.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement