Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

No mention of a back button which I assumed was to be there in some form given the recent dualshock 4 accessory.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yeah, looking that way. Currently, my ps4 pro has an inch space under my tv. If the ps5 is bulkier, out will have to go in the tv unit shelf (probably not because of overheating) or on the ground beside the unit which wouldn't be ideal. Mad to know what the console looks like now.

Probably have another info drop in either early May or early June that shows the console, price and launch date.

I'm tempted to get it at launch but I'll be holding off on both PS5 and Serious X until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Also, not sure about the mic array unless it comes with a handy mute button somewhere.

The thin strip under the "PS" button looks like a mute button!
    There's certainly a mute symbol underneath it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Probably have another info drop in either early May or early June that shows the console, price and launch date.

I'm tempted to get it at launch but I'll be holding off on both PS5 and Serious X until next year.

I'm itching to get rid of my jetplane console so will be buying the ps5 on launch for that reason alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hopefully the mic is muted by default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Not a massive deviation from the DS4, but what they've changed sounds interesting. How the haptics and actuator driven triggers work could either be gimmicks or game changers. No rear pictures, are they hiding rear buttons/triggers?
    I'm impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,033 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The only thing that is worrying me, as mentioned above, is the 2 tone colour. The PS article I read about it said that traditionally it has been 1 colour, but they're going 2 tone this time. This reads to me that the console will be the same, and I hate white tech (and cars). A stupid move if there aren't 2 options available at launch. I was put off buying the Wii until I got a black one (iirc). Even the white in the PSVR annoys me, but it's not the "main" colour.

Also, yeah, mad to get a look at the console now.

Edit: Someone already did a mock up of an all black DualSense, and it's immediately nicer: link (image too big to post)

Oooohhh that black mock up is nice!

Yup. If there isn't an all black option at launch, I'll be checking those websites that create skins for your devices and buying one for the first time in my life. Just can't deal with white...

Yup. If there isn't an all black option at launch, I'll be checking those websites that create skins for your devices and buying one for the first time in my life. Just can't deal with white...

D Brand will have something out faily quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The only thing that is worrying me, as mentioned above, is the 2 tone colour. The PS article I read about it said that traditionally it has been 1 colour, but they're going 2 tone this time. This reads to me that the console will be the same, and I hate white tech (and cars). A stupid move if there aren't 2 options available at launch. I was put off buying the Wii until I got a black one (iirc). Even the white in the PSVR annoys me, but it's not the "main" colour.

Also, yeah, mad to get a look at the console now.

Edit: Someone already did a mock up of an all black DualSense, and it's immediately nicer: link (image too big to post)

There you go
    https://twitter.com/Mucrush/status/1247624037616037889?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 29,094 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So the haptic feedback is HD Rumble? I assumed the triggers just mean they're Analog triggers with vibration.
    The shape looks a bit like a 3rd party version of a PS controller

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So the haptic feedback is HD Rumble? I assumed the triggers just mean they're Analog triggers with vibration.
    The shape looks a bit like a 3rd party version of a PS controller

The triggers can adjust how much resistance the button gives, so they can make it harder or easy to press and change as you press down.

In driving game one could be a brake and feel light at first before firming up, and then change if you car took damage to make the brake feel spongy and not effective until you press it more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The all black mock up looks much nicer. The picture from the side makes the controller look a decent bit chunkier than the DS4, which is a plus in my book.

USB-C is nice and those adaptive buttons could be promising if used wisely, hopefully they don’t negatively affect durability either.

I’m hoping we can completely turn of those lights on the top, nothing worse than playing at night and the controller itself lighting up the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

TitianGerm wrote: »

What titles are comin for the xbox that are worth the system buy. Genuine question, because id love the option to play both if i had the cash. Reckon it'll be a year after release when i pick up the ps5.
    I hope xbox knock it outta the park even as a ps man.

One thing I want to know is will there be another USB C port on the front for audio or will they stick with 3.5m jack or maybe both.

Varik wrote: »
    One thing I want to know is will there be another USB C port on the front for audio or will they stick with 3.5m jack or maybe both.

Or possibly neither and go Bluetooth/wireless only! :eek:

Since getting the Wireless Gold headset, I'd imagine that's what Sony could go towards, with the push on fancy audio, they might require a minimum from a headset now. Could be alienating, but I could see the reasoning for it. We all know people would moan and complain about the fancy new audio being crap if they're using their €10 Argos bought in-ear headphones.

Then again, I doubt it. Can't see from the pictures, and they've deliberately only shown the front and top views. You can see a slot under the PS button, but that could be anything. Does look like a USB-C port though... Was also disappointed, as above, that there are no extra buttons on the back, but they could be trying the Elite route this gen too. Speaking of, the Back Button attachment cannot be got, and the only ones available are 2x or more the price.

AidoEirE wrote: »
    What titles are comin for the xbox that are worth the system buy. Genuine question, because id love the option to play both if i had the cash. Reckon it'll be a year after release when i pick up the ps5.
    I hope xbox knock it outta the park even as a ps man.

Well I have Game Pass Ultimate stacked to the end of 2021 so I wouldn't be buying any first party games anyway as they'll be included in that.

We don't really know what games are going to be on either system at the moment but Microsoft did acquire a lot of new studios three (I think) years ago so a few new titles should be in the pipeline.

With the series X being the more powerful console you'd think multiplatform games would preform better on it as well.

I just like technology though and had every console this generation and will likely have them all next gen as well.

I think it looks pretty bad, like a third-party controller. Not a fan of the two tone, particular the shape/lines of the two sections.

In the end it's no big deal, I don't care whether a controller looks good or not. I hope it works well and has good battery life.

There's no colours on the button labels which seems like a big omission. Having colour queues helps the brain to remember which is which, especially during annoying quicktime sequences. Maybe they light up in those colours?

You'd have to assume now that the launch system will be white & black ? Will be a bit funny if it looks like the white/black Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Really like the new controller cept for the colour, I reckon they'll have to delay it but we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,639 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think it looks pretty bad, like a third-party controller. Not a fan of the two tone, particular the shape/lines of the two sections.

In the end it's no big deal, I don't care whether a controller looks good or not. I hope it works well and has good battery life.

There's no colours on the button labels which seems like a big omission. Having colour queues helps the brain to remember which is which, especially during annoying quicktime sequences. Maybe they light up in those colours?

You'd have to assume now that the launch system will be white & black ? Will be a bit funny if it looks like the white/black Xbox One.

Does anyone actually look at a controller when they're playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Funny thing about the black v white debate is if it had been blacks people would be looking for it in white like always.

The white consoles and controllers always sell quick.
    There was a white Destiny one for PS4 as well as far as I remember.

Personally I’d like a electric neon green. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

AdamD wrote: »
    Does anyone actually look at a controller when they're playing?

I'm not bothered about the controller colour at all, I'm just concerned there's going to be a lot of white on the console itself as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'm not bothered about the controller colour at all, I'm just concerned there's going to be a lot of white on the console itself as well.

My console along with my Wii U (yes someone bought one) my Xbox 360 and my PS4 are all in a cupboard unit under the telly. You can hardly see them through heavily tinted glass doors. If they were white it’d make no difference at all to me.

I would have thought most people would be in the same boat as in the console is rarely visible no?

I get the controller as it’s in your hand all the time. As someone else said I hope you can turn off the stupid light. That’d be a pain in a dark room.

I think the extra gubbins inside forced them to go with fatter handles and an outline that's more akin to the Xbox controller. They don't want that comparison so the white is a visual trick to try and create the illusion of long & thin side handles.

For that reason I don't believe they will do an all-black model.

Women try similar tricks to make their waist look smaller:
    https://scstylecaster.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/kate-winslet-stella-mccartney.jpg?w=420&h=635

Interesting poll from bafta games. Gets a quick overview of the ps/xbox audience.

https://twitter.com/BAFTAGames/status/1247863504348078087?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Thst's worse than asking to soccer forum who's the best? Liverpool or Manchester United?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

I think the extra gubbins inside forced them to go with fatter handles and an outline that's more akin to the Xbox controller. They don't want that comparison so the white is a visual trick to try and create the illusion of long & thin side handles.

For that reason I don't believe they will do an all-black model.

Women try similar tricks to make their waist look smaller:
    https://scstylecaster.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/kate-winslet-stella-mccartney.jpg?w=420&h=635

I don't think anything they are planning to add will take up that much space. I thought it was a regular complaint that the DS4 was too small and most people preferred the fit of the XBox equivalent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,639 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sorry was specifically replying to this:
    Having colour queues helps the brain to remember which is which, especially during annoying quicktime sequences. Maybe they light up in those colours?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement