Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishnian

GavK wrote: »
    Did you get one through the Smyths Ireland or Smyths UK ?

Ireland, again... I was a while trying and refreshing and whatnot even when the preorders are done" message popped up, persistence is key I suppose! But don't forget some people are saying Argos are going to have preorder tomorrow, so if I were you I would stick around 12 tonight at least an hour to see if everything comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Markitron wrote: »
    Smyths have a message up saying no more pre-orders
    This message was there in the morning, and some managed to pre-order still

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Smyths seem to have totally disabled the order button now so looks like they are done.... For now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Can I throw in a random but kinda related question please?!

Any chance there's a bigger SSD due, I've a 2TB in my PS4 Pro and its perpetually full.

Going back to 825GBs would annoy the life out of me.

Even then - Will all of that 825GBs actually be usable - I know that a 1TB drive in Win 10 formats to ~931 GBs)

- Given that PS5 games with their ray tracing and other various next gen wonders are going to be massive then I think this 825GB SSD is going to feel smaller than the 500GB HD the PS4 launched with very quickly indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mango Joe wrote: »

Any chance there's a bigger SSD due, I've a 2TB in my PS4 Pro and its perpetually full.

Even then - Will all of that 825GBs actually be usable - I know that a 1TB drive in Win 10 formats to ~931 GBs)

Mark Cerny said they had to cap it at 1tb to keep costs down but you will be able to expand buy buying a separate ssd and fitting into the drive bay on the console. Sony should be releasing a list of compatible NVMe drives soon if they haven't already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 irishnian

jones wrote: »
    Smyths seem to have totally disabled the order button now so looks like they are done.... For now

True! Or it's to make people think that... haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

So Miles is coming to PS4 it seems, thank fook if that's true, now I don't need a PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I only bought a 1TB SSD few months ago, was sick of deleting games from the PS4.

Then I started playing MW : Warzone and that nearly ruined everything with update after updated after update. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

Currys are now out of stock in Ireland in stores.

Wha? I went in to Blanch PcWorld/Curries at 10:30 am today - and was told they definitely are not doing pre-orders on PS5 - grr.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I was in my local gamestop earlier today, put in my preorder and gave them 50 quid. He said about 8 people in before but all their first batch is gone. Like 10 odd consoles for a shop on release day seems very low to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    So Miles is coming to PS4 it seems, thank fook if that's true, now I don't need a PS5.

Yes it's true it's confirmed.
    Along with Horizon 2 and Sackboy coming to PS4 aswell.
    I said it ages ago and it got ignored and lost in the thread like this likely will too.
    Why do I bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I said it ages ago and it got ignored and lost in the thread like this likely will too.
    Why do I bother.

Sigh, life is tough...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I only bought a 1TB SSD few months ago, was sick of deleting games from the PS4.

Then I started playing MW : Warzone and that nearly ruined everything with update after updated after update. :pac:

Warzone rewrote the rule book with game updates. Every time there's one you think it's a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

leex wrote: »
    Smyth's in store said pre-sale was closed. May be a chance of more stock. They didn't know yet. Seemingly there is an email and text notification for presales. They recommended the text system.

Nope. They have my phone and my email and I registered months ago. Nothing.

Very disappointed with Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Kilboor wrote: »
    Not to derail but it's funny how Xbox came out in their 2013 press conference with pretty much what people are demanding today but back then there was a massive backlash.

The Xbox One was supposed to launch as a digital console for the most part, and games could be shared with friends online

People for get now, but at that time the Snowden leaks had just happened and Microsoft did their launch and basically said you've to have an always-on kinect camera in your sitting room.

So I didn't buy an xbox one until they got rid of Kinect. And I wasn't alone.

Mango Joe wrote: »

- Given that PS5 games with their ray tracing and other various next gen wonders are going to be massive then I think this 825GB SSD is going to feel smaller than the 500GB HD the PS4 launched with very quickly indeed.
    There won't be a bigger (stock) internal SSD in the short-term. In years to come, certainly, much the same as PS4, PS4 etc. Future SKUs get bigger storage.

The UI always reports storage in GiB, this is why 1TB in a PS4 shows as 931 in the UI.

825GB is 768GiB. Allowing for reserved space the UI will say you have about about 700 usable on day 1... maybe even less.

It's going to be feel cramped once you throw a few of the larger AAA games on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

Has anyone tried Power City? I got my PS4 couriered on launch day by ringing their HQ at the time. Things may have changed now but may be worth a shot to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

DID also stock consoles. They certainly won't have had a pre-order facility on their website, but it might be worth giving them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

Kimbot wrote: »
    I was in my local gamestop earlier today, put in my preorder and gave them 50 quid. He said about 8 people in before but all their first batch is gone. Like 10 odd consoles for a shop on release day seems very low to me.

My girlfriend went in 2 weeks ago and pre ordered it. They’ve been doing it since 2019. Has it all paid off but now people are saying I might not even get one on launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Intu

Hey guys I ordered two cause my friend was asleep but he's sorted one somewhere else.

So just a heads up that one will be coming up available for home delivery later on.

I'm just waiting for him to definitely confirm its gone before doing anything!

Rather one of ye get it than a scalper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

BSK wrote: »
    My girlfriend went in 2 weeks ago and pre ordered it. They’ve been doing it since 2019. Has it all paid off but now people are saying I might not even get one on launch?

If you only preorder it 2 weeks ago there’s a real chance you won’t get one in November..
    Depends how many are ahead of you in the que

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

There won't be a bigger (stock) internal SSD in the short-term. In years to come, certainly, much the same as PS4, PS4 etc. Future SKUs get bigger storage.

The UI always reports storage in GiB, this is why 1TB in a PS4 shows as 931 in the UI.

825GB is 768GiB. Allowing for reserved space the UI will say you have about about 700 usable on day 1... maybe even less.

It's going to be feel cramped once you throw a few of the larger AAA games on there.

The new I/O system and the SSD on the PS5 allows for better compression and faster loading of textures etc. Nowadays, Devs have to duplicate textures and such so that they load a bit faster, but with the improvements on PS5, they won't need to do that. So we should actually see AAA games having smaller storage requirements.

Edit: Here's an article with more info - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps5-ssd-hard-drive-size-expanded-storage-6300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Pre-Ordered mine the Start of August in GameStop Wexford. Just rang them them and they said I won’t get one at launch and it depends on what Sony gives them , whether I will get one before Christmas or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

http://www.adverts.ie/21568507

What a sad bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

MarkY91 wrote: »

What a sad bastard.

Happens at every console launch. There will be dozens of people selling them at those prices come November/December.

Theres a guy there who said who he will have 20 so thats 7500 spent. If I had that money lying around I would do that too if I could make a quick 4-5k of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There's an interview with Jim Ryan in the Washington Post, where he's mainly talking about their strategy for PS5. One little snippet is that he says the presence of PS4 versions of Miles and Horizon won't hold back the PS5 versions.
    No one should be disappointed. The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It’s about people having choice. I’m really quite pleased about the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

What a sad bastard.

And getting offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

What a sad bastard.

Holy ****e, he made it premium. What an asshole. The people making offers are just as bad tbh, they're encouraging this ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

Wing126 wrote: »
    Holy ****e, he made it premium. What an asshole. The people making offers are just as bad tbh, they're encouraging this ****.
    He want a €1000 greedy fecker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Why do I bother.

Do you ever stop moaning?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement