Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,098 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    There's an interview with Jim Ryan in the Washington Post, where he's mainly talking about their strategy for PS5. One little snippet is that he says the presence of PS4 versions of Miles and Horizon won't hold back the PS5 versions.

With the increase in price I was wondering what price the PS4 versions will be. Reading the words "upgrade path" sounds like you'll pay a tenner or so for the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Wonder how long until we get the full line up for launch day including prices.

Wing126 wrote: »
    The new I/O system and the SSD on the PS5 allows for better compression and faster loading of textures etc. Nowadays, Devs have to duplicate textures and such so that they load a bit faster, but with the improvements on PS5, they won't need to do that. So we should actually see AAA games having smaller storage requirements.

Edit: Here's an article with more info - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps5-ssd-hard-drive-size-expanded-storage-6300
    Games will get bigger regardless. Due to increased scope, ambition etc. It's just a technological trend.

De-dupe of assets cuts games down by a certain percentage, which could be negligible for some or as much as 20% for others. It tends to be overstated.

This practice (of duplicating assets across the disk to speed access times ) is not really used on PC games for example because there's multiple layers obscuring the physical layout of the disk. A console gives much lower-level access. Despite this... PC games are getting pretty damn big.

I think in the early days of this next generation game sizes won't get too much larger because devs will be acutely conscious of how small these drives are (across the board). Give it a few years and they won't care. There'll be several 300GB+ games by the end of the generation, count on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I'd hazard a guess that, to use an earlier mentioned example, for the 100GBs of TLOU II the battle over efficiency v bloat might be won in the accounts Dept rather than the devs aiming for every efficiency with an associated time penalty and the inevitable increased costs.

Game sizes will trend upwards massively and you'll be expected to continuously uninstall as you go......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With the increase in price I was wondering what price the PS4 versions will be. Reading the words "upgrade path" sounds like you'll pay a tenner or so for the upgrade.

They've already said that Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West and the Sackboy game will have free PS4-PS5 upgrades.

• Advertisement

How will the ssd affect game install times? If you are going to be installing and uninstalling large files regularly I hope this will speed the process up.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Pre-Ordered mine the Start of August in GameStop Wexford. Just rang them them and they said I won’t get one at launch and it depends on what Sony gives them , whether I will get one before Christmas or not.

Preordered mine in gorey on the 3rd sept. They are saying they will not know for a while. Im starting to doubt it. Which makes me wonder will those who preordered on the gamestop website last night get one before the likes of ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

CastorTroy wrote: »

A concept already wholeheartedly embraced by Activision and COD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

dan786 wrote: »
    Happens at every console launch. There will be dozens of people selling them at those prices come November/December.

Theres a guy there who said who he will have 20 so thats 7500 spent. If I had that money lying around I would do that too if I could make a quick 4-5k of them.
    Wouldn't be a bad way for revenue to catch people out with it. Say they will meet person and pay them the money. Take their details and make sure they complete a tax return for current year if not make a compliance case on them if 2020 tax return not completed and they declare this income. Just watch their page and see how many they sell and u know how much they need to declare then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Wouldn't be a bad way for revenue to catch people out with it. Say they will meet person and pay them the money. Take their details and make sure they complete a tax return for current year if not make a compliance case on them if 2020 tax return not completed and they declare this income. Just watch their page and see how many they sell and u know how much they need to declare then.

Revenue dont give a toss. Theres sellers on Adverts selling 10+ phones a day who have sold a few thousand phones already. Also all the shops in Dublin 1 area sell them without declaring tax through Adverts and Donedeal using their shop names and are paying zero taxes on them.

So doubt a few consoles will be their priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

My local DID has said they will be getting stock but no indication on how many and no preordering. I might queue for one on release day and if it doesn't work out, I have one coming from Amazon which I don't expect until the Friday at least.

Time to book some annual leave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

R.F. wrote: »
    Preordered mine in gorey on the 3rd sept. They are saying they will not know for a while. Im starting to doubt it. Which makes me wonder will those who preordered on the gamestop website last night get one before the likes of ourselves?

I’ve a feeling I won’t get it either . The lad didn’t seem too confident .

I should have got one from Smyths last night . Raging I didn’t now either.

dan786 wrote: »
    Revenue dont give a toss. Theres sellers on Adverts selling 10+ phones a day who have sold a few thousand phones already. Also all the shops in Dublin 1 area sell them without declaring tax through Adverts and Donedeal using their shop names and are paying zero taxes on them.

So doubt a few consoles will be their priority.
    ahh your right I don't mind people selling one for even 100/200 more but a joke 500 more and joke chap has 20 pre ordered as well. Just shows they do this in life as well just annoying for normal Joe soaps.

bigron2109 wrote: »
    I’ve a feeling I won’t get it either . The lad didn’t seem too confident .

I should have got one from Smyths last night . Raging I didn’t now either.

Yeah I doubt you will as I have mine pre ordered since Dec gone in gamestop said he would be highly sure I would get one but can't say 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I can't believe people are surprised by Gamestop saying they won't be able to fulfil their preorders. It was absolute foolishness for anyone to go with them for this release.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Stephen.Walsh_

Do we think there’ll be ps5 bundles on release? I remember there being a killzone or knack on in release for ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Do you ever stop moaning?

F*ck it I won't bother trying to be nice and trying to help people here anymore.
    You never get any thanks for it here anyway just snarky sarcastic comments back.
    HatefulAunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I’ll have to keep a eye out for other places so and just get my €50 back from GameStop so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I can't believe people are surprised by Gamestop saying they won't be able to fulfil their preorders. It was absolute foolishness for anyone to go with them for this release.

Ya I don't like being all I told ya so when comes to this stuff but Gamestop are bunch of *****. There was no way I was going near them. I hope people just get what they ordered. I can't wait to see the back of that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Beef or Salmon

Argos midnight tonight so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

For what? You can't pre-order items with Argos here.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Pretty sure people in this thread have confirmed that's UK only. Argos IE just don't work the same way, never have preorders.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Pre-ordered mine back in June. May just play Spiderman MM and sell it on.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    For what? You can't pre-order items with Argos here.

If you live near Newry pre order there and get it there at that store

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    There's an interview with Jim Ryan in the Washington Post, where he's mainly talking about their strategy for PS5. One little snippet is that he says the presence of PS4 versions of Miles and Horizon won't hold back the PS5 versions.

Tbf, he's hardly going to say any different. Could you imagine him saying those versions did hold back the Ps5 versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Haven't really been keeping up with the news to be honest, do I have any chance of picking one up on pre-order or launch day?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Haven't really been keeping up with the news to be honest, do I have any chance of picking one up on pre-order or launch day?

Unlikely as the demand for the PS5 is completely unprecedented, way more than the PS4, likely because the lockdowns around the world are keeping people at home more so there's a higher than average demand for computer games. Production is also slower than planned because of the Covid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Am I missing something here?
    Screenshot-20200917-190500-e-Bay.jpg
    image hoster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Am I missing something here?
    Screenshot-20200917-190500-e-Bay.jpg
    image hoster
    That mad money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

They say in the description it's coming from "a smoke and pet free home", must up the price a bit!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement