Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Rickytumtum

Did anyone else walk into curry’s and get a pre order? As I posted earlier, I managed to get one about 1.15pm today..paid a fiver cash, got a receipt and kinda blank invoice which basically says customer to collect in store. There is no order number, and only my phone number was taken...it just seems totally devoid of information. Does anyone have any insight into whether it is reliable or not, or is it similar to the GameStop €50 but zero guarantee of anything this side of Xmas? Lady in curry’s was zero help when I preordered and had zero info for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

Did anyone else walk into curry’s and get a pre order? As I posted earlier, I managed to get one about 1.15pm today..paid a fiver cash, got a receipt and kinda blank invoice which basically says customer to collect in store. There is no order number, and only my phone number was taken...it just seems totally devoid of information. Does anyone have any insight into whether it is reliable or not, or is it similar to the GameStop €50 but zero guarantee of anything this side of Xmas? Lady in curry’s was zero help when I preordered and had zero info for me.
    curry's can be abit iffy try preorder some were else as well just to be on the save side given perorder open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

I wouldnt trust Currys Ireland, they barely get any stock in.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Currys are basing theirs on a virtual queue rather than closing it once their allocation has finished so no guarantee with them. Only Amazon and Smyths are basing it on allocation so you're practically guaranteed with them if you get your preorder confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Am I missing something here?
    Screenshot-20200917-190500-e-Bay.jpg
    image hoster

Clearly people are bidding with no intention to pay the scalper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Same story with me around 2.30. They were very vague on the date it would be available for collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads the missus preordered this for me with Gamestop, not realising that they're basically pulling a fast one. Do you know if it's possible to get a refund from them if the preorder isn't fulfilled before Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Lads the missus preordered this for me with Gamestop, not realising that they're basically pulling a fast one. Do you know if it's possible to get a refund from them if the preorder isn't fulfilled before Christmas?
    On the website it says contact their customer support if you want to get a refund at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I'll tell you in the next few days. I made a F up also by ordering but I requested a refund this morning when I realised it was them pulling a fast one. They emailed me a support ticket number and said they're reviewing my request.

Managed to get two at Smyths after 15 cancelled orders last night. Not sure how their system works but finally I can cancel my Gamestop one. I ordered online with them the second it went live so definitely guaranteed on launch but as its GS will not take my chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

You can at anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

dan786 wrote: »
    Managed to get two at Smyths after 15 cancelled orders last night. Not sure how their system works but finally I can cancel my Gamestop one. I ordered online with them the second it went live so definitely guaranteed on launch but as its GS will not take my chances.

GS orders from last night are not guaranteed

Sure they told me my order from March is not guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Homelander

Jesus, the PS5 is actually a ridiculous size. It's the size of a PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Clearly people are bidding with no intention to pay the scalper

What's the consequences for winning bidder, just bad feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

dan786 wrote: »
    That a smart move wouldn't trust GS at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Wing126 wrote: »

Some difference v my current PS4 slim. Best start clearing space under tele!

GS orders from last night are not guaranteed

Sure they told me my order from March is not guaranteed

I checked with one of their head office manager he said they are if ordered online. They had a separate online allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

loughrey wrote: »
    Currys are basing theirs on a virtual queue rather than closing it once their allocation has finished so no guarantee with them. Only Amazon and Smyths are basing it on allocation so you're practically guaranteed with them if you get your preorder confirmed

I was in there today trying to get one for a friend and the manager turned the screen to show me the message sent around all to stores from management at 1pm that they had already filled their allocation in the previous hour and not to guarantee any more consoles.

He showed me that he could still preorder consoles but the price was 99,999 to indicate that they hadn't stock to match it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Gutted they will have it in America etc a week earlier. Must resist watching any unboxings etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 rach784

Been searching all day for one, missed out pre ordering with smyths last night, anybody help!!where can i get one guaranteed for xmas 11 year old son its all thats on his christmas list. been searching all day on symths been close to getting one then out of stock anybody manaed to get one lately from them worth keep checking or not. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Am I missing something here?
    Screenshot-20200917-190500-e-Bay.jpg
    image hoster

Delivery next week, probably a prototype.

Moving away from the ordering side of things, I'm still bewildered by Sony's decision to release Spiderman and Horizon on PS4 this year.

Sure, it will make more money in game sales but it really makes getting a console in November slightly hollower as most games with be available on the PS4 so there's no "need" to get it.

Worse again, the post launch market will likely suffer for console sales significantly as if people can't get a console, decide to get PS4 versions of games, why would they bother to upgrade in Q1?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

there's such a large player base on PS4 they don't want to miss out on the sales, would be my guess
    PS5 will sell anyway just not as well initially

gimli2112 wrote: »
    there's such a large player base on PS4 they don't want to miss out on the sales, would be my guess
    PS5 will sell anyway just not as well initially

Yeah, I don't disagree on that. It's the likely reason.

I just think if anyone was on the fence about the console (either financially or due to desire) who has a PS4 is now likely thinking there's now no need to get a PS5 and they'll put their money to an X Box until something significant comes the way of the PS5.

Extremely short term and almost cannibalising some part of its market.

rach784 wrote: »
    Been searching all day for one, missed out pre ordering with smyths last night, anybody help!!where can i get one guaranteed for xmas 11 year old son its all thats on his christmas list. been searching all day on symths been close to getting one then out of stock anybody manaed to get one lately from them worth keep checking or not. thanks

Dont want to sound mean but in all fairness if that was the case you should have been looking last night not a day later. Most retailers sold out last night and then Amazon sold out in 30 mins this morning.

Smyths did have a few today but as far as I know they were cancelling duplicate orders hence they were coming in and going out of stock.

You only option now if to keep looking and pray that there is a second wave of preorders but will be very hard to get one pre Xmas.

Argos are the only ones left but you will have to stay up all night and they only get 10 per store so will likely be gone to staff/friends/families before they even open.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

plus you'll have eejits like me who'll double dip on HZD

I'm sure they've run the numbers and this maximises the money for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah ps5 basically is how much do you want to play demon souls.

Everything else can be got on ps4 for cheaper.

Yeah, I don't disagree on that. It's the likely reason.

I just think if anyone was on the fence about the console (either financially or due to desire) who has a PS4 is now likely thinking there's now no need to get a PS5 and they'll put their money to an X Box until something significant comes the way of the PS5.

Extremely short term and almost cannibalising some part of its market.

To further this strange narrative, Sony's Jim Ryan told GamesIndustry.biz in May:

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

Releasing your two flagship games on the previous generations console completely blows this up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Really hope Smyths cancels orders where a person has ordered more than one. Should be a strict quota of one per customer to give everyone a chance and eliminate Irish scalpers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement