Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

dan786 wrote: »
    Dont want to sound mean but in all fairness if that was the case you should have been looking last night not a day later. Most retailers sold out last night and then Amazon sold out in 30 mins this morning.

24 hours ago there was no info on preorders, price or release date..... Sony specifically told people they were not going to drop the console without warning. They did exactly that

Nobody expected retailers to instantly release the preorders at 12am, when you consider Microsoft had a proper date/time communicated

https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft-responds-to-ps5-pre-order-chaos-with-promise-of-exact-pre-order-time-for-xbox-series-x-xbox-series-s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

24 hours ago there was no info on preorders, price or release date..... Sony specifically told people they were not going to drop the console without warning. They did exactly that

Nobody expected retailers to instantly release the preorders at 12am, when you consider Microsoft had a proper date/time communicated

https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft-responds-to-ps5-pre-order-chaos-with-promise-of-exact-pre-order-time-for-xbox-series-x-xbox-series-s

Exactly. Sony have handled this very poorly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭recyclops

Realistically sony/retailers ****ed this up and people where caught out, can't blame people for that.

What happened to the Sony invite only pre orders we all got emails about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,286 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Exactly. Sony have handled this very poorly.

I wouldn't just blame Sony..

Retailers started taking preorders without even contacting people who had registered interest. I know some got the Smyths mail but I categorically didn't. And I registered two email addresses just in case. If I hadn't got lucky with a Boardsie tip off last night, I'd be livid.

Further, retailers have an appalling preorder system where they take no money allowing people to order multiples with no collateral. Never mind just randomly opening preorders. And then Currys and Gamestop have a cowboy approach to the whole thing where its likely neither have the stock to match.

Nobody is coming away from this looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

loughrey wrote: »
    Really hope Smyths cancels orders where a person has ordered more than one. Should be a strict quota of one per customer to give everyone a chance and eliminate Irish scalpers
    I hope not I got two one for me and one for my nephew.I wouldn't do that ebay thing I say they probably do a second wave of perorder for people who don't get one at launch and get one before xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 MrManBuz

Dont want to sound mean but in all fairness if that was the case you should have been looking last night not a day later. Most retailers sold out last night and then Amazon sold out in 30 mins this morning.

Smyths did have a few today but as far as I know they were cancelling duplicate orders hence they were coming in and going out of stock.

You only option now if to keep looking and pray that there is a second wave of preorders but will be very hard to get one pre Xmas.

Argos are the only ones left but you will have to stay up all night and they only get 10 per store so will likely be gone to staff/friends/families before they even open.

When you say Argos, are we taking Argos UK here or the Irish branch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I wouldn't just blame Sony..

Retailers started taking preorders without even contacting people who had registered interest. I know some got the Smyths mail but I categorically didn't. And I registered two email addresses just in case. If I hadn't got lucky with a Boardsie tip off last night, I'd be livid.

Further, retailers have an appalling preorder system where they take no money allowing people to order multiples with no collateral. Never mind just randomly opening preorders. And then Currys and Gamestop have a cowboy approach to the whole thing where its likely neither have the stock to match.

Nobody is coming away from this looking good.

Oh I don't disagree. But seems like one or two etailers were caught as much on the hop as the public were. The ones who were taking unofficial preorders for weeks, or neglecting to give notification emails etc can **** right off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

MrManBuz wrote: »
    When you say Argos, are we taking Argos UK here or the Irish branch?

UK do pre-orders that go live at midnight.

Irish dont do preorders so will be release day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

I was in there today trying to get one for a friend and the manager turned the screen to show me the message sent around all to stores from management at 1pm that they had already filled their allocation in the previous hour and not to guarantee any more consoles.

He showed me that he could still preorder consoles but the price was 99,999 to indicate that they hadn't stock to match it right now.

Definite mixed messages there depending who you spoke to.They told me at 2.30pm that they couldn't take a pre-order for the disc-less version but had availability for the dearer one. They were very vague with collection date. I chanced it for the sake of a fiver but will be keeping an eye out in other stores also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Going to try Argos tonight for shipping to my northern address. Fingers crossed.

Apparently they take the payment in full there and then, Hope that's true as every post on twitter is "Can I leave a deposit" "Do I have to pay outright" "Can I get it on Credit"

Might put a few people off if it's taken straight away.

• Advertisement

UK do pre-orders that go live at midnight.

Irish dont do preorders so will be release day.

I bet the website I going to tank come midnight, but I'll be there nonetheless. I wonder will they block non UK based orders, even if its for collection within the UK. Newry isn't far from me so I'd happily drive up there for it.

Don't particularly feel like queueing up at 3am come November 19th if I can't get a pre-order, but may not have a choice if I don't get a pre-order 😂

What's the story with Curry's, Harvey Norman and DID electrical? They all seem to be getting PS5s in stock but not a word from them as far as I've seen. I contacted Curry's and HN and all I got was a "we don't know when they'll go up, just wait and sign up for the email notification".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Why is everyone so keen to ensure they have one for launch? I can understand if it's a Christmas present for a kid but as has been said there's nothing really at launch, what's wrong with waiting?
    Full disclosure I got caught up in the hype and tried pre-ordering one but I'm over it now.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Why is everyone so keen to ensure they have one for launch? I can understand if it's a Christmas present for a kid but as has been said there's nothing really at launch, what's wrong with waiting?
    Full disclosure I got caught up in the hype and tried pre-ordering one but I'm over it now.

It will be even harder to get one after launch date and second wave might not be till January.

Anyone planning to use Argos UK , note that they cancel all orders to Parcel Motel, Parcel Wizard, Addresspal etc so dont bother if that was your plan. Also Argos tend to use their own delivery vans their so the shipping label just contains a unique code to tell drive the address so full address is not printed on them so could get lost after its delivered to one of the above services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I get that but what's the big deal waiting until January? I remember playing Shadowfall when the PS4 launch, it wasn't a particularly awesome experience.
    I'd get it if there was a must have launch title or something people really wanted to play, immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,887 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

For me, it's the same excitement as a game I'm looking forward to that i have to get launch day. I really want to play demon's souls. I also really want to play cyberpunk without my ps4 pro fans going absolutely ballistic. Then there's next gen NBA 2K which I'm looking forward to as well. The fact that I'll have made 550ish when i sell my ps4 along with my already sold vr and ps3 and i haven't really lost out on 500 quid so makes the purchase much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I also got caught up in the hype and tried to order one.

I messed up though and bought 5 PS1s instead of 1 PS5.

I get that but what's the big deal waiting until January? I remember playing Shadowfall when the PS4 launch, it wasn't a particularly awesome experience.
    I'd get it if there was a must have launch title or something people really wanted to play, immediately.

CyberPunk 2077 - one of the biggest titles this year

Anyone planning to use Argos UK , note that they cancel all orders to Parcel Motel, Parcel Wizard, Addresspal etc so dont bother if that was your plan. Also Argos tend to use their own delivery vans their so the shipping label just contains a unique code to tell drive the address so full address is not printed on them so could get lost after its delivered to one of the above services.

Will they have an instore collection option I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭recyclops

Unsure if this was posted but it's a very good article on the shambles of the last 24 hours.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-17-ps5-is-a-surefire-hit-but-sonys-broken-promises-are-eroding-trust

It's a good article hard to argue with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is that gold PS5 still available?

MrManBuz wrote: »
    Will they have an instore collection option I wonder?

In Ireland ? It will be sold to staff before they open doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yeah I also find the rush to pre order strange as without a GTurismo 7, GOW2 or maybe deathloop on launch nothing is screaming must have this now.. although I'm really looking forward to just walking into Smyths in the new year and getting one then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

I'm getting it at launch as I want to get rid of my Xbox and want the new Call of Duty but not waste money getting the Xbox version when I know I'm getting rid of it. Want to get the PS5 and Cold War together. Will sell my Xbox to Cex and make about 150 so it'll be a cost saving for me. After launch the resale value of the last gen will plummet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Here's the second one

https://www.adverts.ie/playstation/ps5-disc-version/21574145

It's flying up in price :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,887 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

loughrey wrote: »
    I'm getting it at launch as I want to get rid of my Xbox and want the new Call of Duty but not waste money getting the Xbox version when I know I'm getting rid of it. Want to get the PS5 and Cold War together. Will sell my Xbox to Cex and make about 150 so it'll be a cost saving for me. After launch the resale value of the last gen will plummet

Yeah i can currently get 237 cash for my pro off cex but I'm trying to figure out when to sell. I have Mafia 1 bought and releasing next Friday so hoping i can squeeze a week out of that and sell it early October. Keeping an eye on cex for any dramatic decrease.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Here's the second one

https://www.adverts.ie/playstation/ps5-disc-version/21574145

It's flying up in price :D
    He won't get a €1500 for a ps5 lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

You hear the same arguments all the time with pre-orders of new consoles in fairness and I don't necessarily disagree in that there isn't really anything to look forward to at launch in particular. I've one pre-ordered and for me its mainly the enjoyment of new tech, i'm the same with iPhone every year although I think i'll skip this one and invest in an iPad Pro early next year instead. I've also sold both my One X and PS4 Pro for around €590 including the few physical games i had so it hasn't cost me anything as such.

I'll be missing out on the new sports games as well as Cyberpunk so when it launches i'll have FIFA, Cyberpunk and a few of thos PS Plus collection games to get stuck into while waiting for the real next gen games to land.

But I do agree that in terms of games theres never really a point in getting one for launch that I can remember and I've been buying them at launch for a few generations now.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yeah i can currently get 237 cash for my pro off cex but I'm trying to figure out when to sell. I have Mafia 1 bought and releasing next Friday so hoping i can squeeze a week out of that and sell it early October. Keeping an eye on cex for any dramatic decrease.
    I imagine getting closer to launch of the ps5 it will drop a good bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement