Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

AUdio jack confirmed (by PlayStation product manager Toshimasa Aoki)

https://twitter.com/toshimasa_aoki/status/1247723771156287489

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I literally couldn't care less what colour it is. Surprised to see it's so important to some people.

Only time I find controller colour important is when you have multiple controllers, it's handy to have different

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It’s bit Mass Effect in terms of aesthetics but it’s grand.

There’s not much light at the back of it. I thought the original psvr was destined to work with the ps5 as well. surely that’s an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

ronano wrote: »
    Really like the new controller cept for the colour, I reckon they'll have to delay it but we'll see.

I don't mind the colour but I'm a bit worried about the shape of it and similarity to the X Box. I've always been a PlayStation fan and any time I've tried the X Box, I've found the controllers awkward and cumbersome. Perhaps that's down to a lack of practice but all the same, there have been enough bad experiences to have me bemused right now.

Maybe it's just me but having played the PlayStation from 1 to 4 I haven't noticed any major issue with the controller which would demand a significant redesign for 5, especially when the evolution from 1 to 4 have generally stayed true to the same design with improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,033 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I would have thought most people would be in the same boat as in the console is rarely visible no?
    Cienciano wrote: »
    I literally couldn't care less what colour it is. Surprised to see it's so important to some people.

I don't really like white anything. I've 1 pair of white socks from 2008 when I was in Templemore College and had to wear them. I have 3 white T-shirts, all used for Beat Saber sessions. And that's it. Cars, clothes, accessories, tech, I don't buy anything white if I can. The Galaxy S7 (black) came with a white charger and charging cable. I bought a black one the same day. White just looks manky to me.

As I said, it won't stop me buying it on launch if it's the only option, but I will be covering it asap. My console is right beside my TV, it's part of the view. Always has been, never had a console hidden. Anyway, I can't put the Pro into a press, it sounds like a jet engine outside of it, so I can only imagine it would melt if it was covered in any way!

Also, I can imagine it's so hard to make a new controller that doesn't look anything like any other one. I'd imagine there are very few 'shapes' left to experiment with, without it encroaching on one already out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

DF's initial impressions on the DS controller. Nothing really new in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Some cool fan made versions of the controller. I'd go for 2,3 and 9
    https://twitter.com/PS4_Trophies/status/1247969252033867776?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    DF's initial impressions on the DS controller. Nothing really new in it.

A load of waffle purposely stretched out for 10 minutes so they meet the 10 minute YouTube algorithm constraints. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

9 has the D-pad and face buttons as they should be!
    You could even keep the white of the touch pad with 9 and it'd work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ERG89 wrote: »
    A load of waffle purposely stretched out for 10 minutes so they meet the 10 minute YouTube algorithm constraints. :rolleyes:

They make great content, so if this is a necessary thing to do so they can continue making great content then so be it. No worse than the others doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

3, 6 and 8 for me, with 8 being the pick of the bunch IMO.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    9 has the D-pad and face buttons as they should be!
    You could even keep the white of the touch pad with 9 and it'd work :)

I wonder if they will change the colour scheme seeing as there has being a lot of people not liking it. A lot of the fanmade ones look cool. It would be cool if the faceplate could be easily removed allowing people to add custom ones. They could keep it as is but sell official face-plates like different colours or game tie ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I wonder if they will change the colour scheme seeing as there has being a lot of people not liking it. A lot of the fanmade ones look cool. It would be cool if the faceplate could be easily removed allowing people to add custom ones. They could keep it as is but sell official face-plates like different colours or game tie ins.

Probably not and I'd say the reason is a monetary one!
    Why only pay €15 or so for a cool new face plate, when they'd have you cough up €60 or so if they make coloured controllers :)

Hope I'm wrong, but that's how I see it going :(

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Probably not and I'd say the reason is a monetary one!
    Why only pay €15 or so for a cool new face plate, when they'd have you cough up €60 or so if they make coloured controllers :)

Hope I'm wrong, but that's how I see it going :(

Yeah honestly, you're right. No way would Sony do something like that. I care more about function and features over colour anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Colour changes wouldn't require tooling or manufacturing changes for the most part, unless you're taking metallic or anything else where paint is involved. Personally don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Varik wrote: »
    Colour changes wouldn't require tooling or manufacturing changes for the most part, unless you're taking metallic or anything else where paint is involved. Personally don't care.

Different colours would require a separate manufacturing line though (to keep assembly separate) which will probably be in short supply coming up to/during/after launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

Different colours would require a separate manufacturing line though (to keep assembly separate) which will probably be in short supply coming up to/during/after launch.

Not true. Maybe for a smaller company you'd have to have a separate line but not Sony.

Don't mind the controller, would be more concerned about the console at this stage.

In hindsight we can look at PSVR and see perhaps the beginnings of the PS5 design language. PSVR never really matched the PS4.

Didn't mean that they'd have addition colours, I meant as a replacement if they decided to change.

But don't see batch production causing much of an issue.

2, 3 and 7, with 8 a very close 4th!

Snap on X-Press covers, we're back in the last 90's with Nokia 3210's! Good idea though, the controller does have a slightly modular look with the touch pad. Would be cool, but don't think it would happen. Why spend even €15 on a colour change when you can spend probably a €5 on a sticker to do the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

My friend sent me this, no source or anything, but interesting concept:
    91758270_248622766311227_6775448597501575168_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=cNFJ1Pk7ml0AX_Pm4Nh&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=ee0f07ee1cf6e05eac8259aa6ed9096a&oe=5EB612CD

I think anything cube shaped after the SX reveal won't be a runner! Not bad looking, again would be lovely in all black. Don't know if the intention was to have the white panels basically say V, but nice touch. Wouldn't be too bothered by that look tbh, but I don't think it will look like that.

Can't wait until they show the PS5 and it's another 6/7 years until we see anymore fan made concepts, especially from new sites looking for some clicks.

A Japanese patent which maybe gives some insight into the adaptive triggers:
    https://t.co/DEcKOD22Gc?amp=1

There's a good few pictures if you scroll down. It's not exact because it's presenting two different designs and there are a lot of missing details but you get the general gist of it. There's a rod which pushes back against the trigger. The text also talks about withdrawing the rod all the way and then quickly slamming it into the trigger to give the feel of an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

A Japanese patent which maybe gives some insight into the adaptive triggers:
    https://t.co/DEcKOD22Gc?amp=1

There's a good few pictures if you scroll down. It's not exact because it's presenting two different designs and there are a lot of missing details but you get the general gist of it. There's a rod which pushes back against the trigger. The text also talks about withdrawing the rod all the way and then quickly slamming it into the trigger to give the feel of an impact.

It's gonna be some craic opening the DS up.

Controllers got 4 motors in it then, 2 resistance motors for the triggers and 2 LRAs for rumble, but no unbalanced weights that the old rumble needed. Even if the LRA are on the larger size that's still lighter than the existing DS4 and even if it's a little bigger . Could have a much bigger battery with the weight save and the larger controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

They'll also be damned expensive to buy separately I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I posted a month or so back about never liking the Playstation controllers, they were always a bit small and flimsy for me but I'm excited with this new one.

Might be time to properly invest in a PS5, I'm excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Will be lining up (if allowed) to get this day 1. Pre-order will surely be necessary. Got my PS4 off Gamesnash, pity they're not still around.

tenor.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement