Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

The one thing I’d say based on what I’ve seen over the last few days is that Playstation seems to have an immediate lead this gen due to sheer brand recognition and loyalty. It’s almost separate to the reality of the machine itself - but I definitely get the sense that there’s a buzz out there about ‘the new PlayStation’ among more casual gaming friends and acquaintances in particular that you don’t get with Xbox.

Again, this is almost completely separate to the reality of the machines - Sony have made some clear missteps, and Microsoft have made some great, smart decisions. I also think it’s something that may differ between countries (in the US I’d reckon Microsoft has a much more substantial foothold). But whether it’s just a side effect of dominance this generation, or some good marketing for the kinds of people who aren’t frequently participating in threads such as this... Sony just seem to have a head start in terms of hype and buzz. And this is despite of things like 80 quid games (compared to the insane value of GamePass) and the pre-order cluster**** (hell, a cynic would even suggest the fiasco has only heightened hype by implying wild demand). We’ll see if that changes when the Xboxes go up for pre-order :)

The preorder disaster has only made the hype and buzz around the PS5 greater since my family and friends who don’t even game know it’s impossible to get “so it must be worth getting”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Keep an eye out for Harvey Norman too. I got my PS4 there on launch and didn't pre-book until a good bit after all other places had sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Keep an eye out for Harvey Norman too. I got my PS4 there on launch and didn't pre-book until a good bit after all other places had sold out.

did you get it delivered on release day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Biggest board game site in the UK, Zatu just emailed me saying they've preorders up. Might be a lesser known place to grab one from! I've used them for many board games in the past.

https://www.board-game.co.uk/product/playstation-5/

EDIT @ 12:05: Only digital available now: https://www.board-game.co.uk/product/playstation-5-digital-edition/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

JOhn Lewis has stocks today. UK delivery only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The one thing I’d say based on what I’ve seen over the last few days is that Playstation seems to have an immediate lead this gen due to sheer brand recognition and loyalty. It’s almost separate to the reality of the machine itself - but I definitely get the sense that there’s a buzz out there about ‘the new PlayStation’ among more casual gaming friends and acquaintances in particular that you don’t get with Xbox.

I think Sony have more faith due to the exclusives that they have coming up; God Of War: Ragnarok, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Demon Souls, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, Spider-man: Miles Morales, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo and of course my personal favourite Bugsnax coming in the next 18 months, Sure some will be on PS4 too but they have PS5 upgrades on day one.
    Microsoft's main selling point right now is gamepass and Halo Infinite coming in the spring. Nobody really knows on when Fable and Avowed will be coming right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Hideki99235

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I was told Harvey Norman will probably only be getting them in "around a week after launch"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ERG89 wrote: »
    I think Sony have more faith due to the exclusives that they have coming up; God Of War: Ragnarok, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Demon Souls, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, Spider-man: Miles Morales, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo and of course my personal favourite Bugsnax coming in the next 18 months, Sure some will be on PS4 too but they have PS5 upgrades on day one.

Absolutely for many people that is the main appeal. But in terms of brand loyalty, I think Sony have won over the crucial market of people who may never hear of or care about 75% or the games mentioned above - people who’ll play FIFA or COD as their main games, and maybe one or two others here and there. But it’s a hard thing to quantify, in particular since almost all gaming discussion online is dedicated to an enthusiast base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiaMaria

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Saying out of stock already!

By the time I had the address filled out and clicked pay it was out of stock. Is it possible that there will be consoles available after release. I've never preordered a console before. As this is a Christmas present am I going to have to spend my time waiting for the stock alerts,to pre order. .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

L-M wrote: »
    Can you pre order with Parcel motel?

Amazon - are usually ok with PM - maybe they will get order cancellations?

But some here have reported their Parcel motel orders have been cancelled by Argos - so I wouldnt risk using PM if you manage to get an Argos preorder.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

John Lewis are brilliant but for some reason you could not use Parcel Motel for PS5. I think because they said that it will be shipped direct from supplier so may not be covering North.

All other stuff can be ordered to Parcel Motel.

dan786 wrote: »
    John Lewis are brilliant but for some reason you could not use Parcel Motel for PS5. I think because they said that it will be shipped direct from supplier so may not be covering North.

All other stuff can be ordered to Parcel Motel.

They might accept address pal or the likes, few days of a wait for delivery though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Watched a YouTube video made a good point defending Sony about the surprise pre orders.

It prevented bots being scheduled at a specific time and automatically taking all the pre orders away from people actually wanting to get the console for themselves?

Anyone wanting to buy the increased insurance for Parcel Motel be careful. Its for 14 days and 3.50 for €500 worth of cover.
    I was looking at it and saw the options available, I clicked purchase thinking there'd be another screen giving me date options or something like that but it purchased 14 days cover instead from now :pac:
    Ps I was logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

quokula wrote: »
    It's really not - it's been standard practice since games consoles have existed that new ones come with new controllers that have new features the old controllers don't have. You can't use a 360 controller on an Xbox One, you can't use a Wii controller on a Switch, and you can't use a PS3 controller on a PS4. I'm amazed how many people are surprised by the PS5 doing something that has always been completely standard and normal.

Microsoft are making moves to eliminate the concept of generations, so that you've the same 2013 controller features with your new console as the old one. But Sony are sticking to the practice of generational improvements that has always worked in the past.

(If you're being pedantic, with the help of adaptors and jumping through hoops you can find ways to use older controllers on current gen consoles, the same will probably prove true with PS4 controllers on PS5)

Progress needs change, if controllers weren't evolving then we'd all be using something like an Atari Joystick FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Roll on Demons's's Souls

526702.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I have to say I was blown away by the Souls demo. When I saw it I was thinking this must be the new souls game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Roll on Demons's's Souls

526702.JPG

Last night I watched the video that image was taken from. It is mad how far things have come in 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Markitron wrote: »
    Last night I watched the video that image was taken from. It is mad how far things have come in 10 years.

Yeah just watched it myself, I only played DS recently on PS3 but that video definitely shows how much of an improvement it is.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yeah just watched it myself, I only played DS recently on PS3 but that video definitely shows how much of an improvement it is.

Yea, exacerbated by the fact that even in 2009, DS wasn't much of a looker.

Could you imagine if the re-did Dark Souls next, or better yet, Dark Souls 2. It might finally look like its reveal trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Is there any chance of trying a PC World in Dublin to preorder lads? I'd swing by on the way up to the big smoke if there was a chance? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

I've no interest in getting it on release, but my son wants it for Christmas.

Would I be best to avoid the absolute maniac situation going on now trying to reserve one, and wait until after release, closer to christmas and then trying to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Will there be any gameplay changes to Demon's Souls or is it going to be 100% faithful to the original?

Will there be any gameplay changes to Demon's Souls or is it going to be 100% faithful to the original?

We don't really know yet, based on the video from the other night it looks very faithful.

Would I be best to avoid the absolute maniac situation going on now trying to reserve one, and wait until after release, closer to christmas and then trying to get one?

Who is to say it won't be even more manic then? Just keep an eye out for pre-orders and jump on one if you see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I don't know I'm in same situation. If you can find one now grab it cause you never know and they ****ing scalpers will be buying um up too

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mikew1985

Bagged a digital version on box.

I'm more interested in the x for the majority of third party stuff but it's nice to have secured one. I won't get it launch day but should arrive within a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Is there any chance of trying a PC World in Dublin to preorder lads? I'd swing by on the way up to the big smoke if there was a chance? Thanks

Currys have said their preorder allocations are full unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Rickytumtum

Currys have said their preorder allocations are full unfortunately.

I walked into curry’s in swords yesterday and paid my fiver for preorder...but now I am starting to doubt it. There’s no order number on it. My phone number was taken, but nothing else. When I called the customer help line, I was told that I should have an order number. There has been no information available from curry’s as to how the preorder is going to operate - do I walk up with receipt in hand on launch day?

Does anyone have insight, and more importantly, did anyone who preordered in store actually get an order reference number, or do we all have blank and meaningless customer order confirmations?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement