Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Not going to comment on this again as it will derail thread but I don't care what their list says.

I've gotten several items with lithium ion batteries, including 3 separate deliveries of 10,000mah Samsung power banks. They can't all have "slipped through" as you put it. All delivered through Address Pal as they wouldn't accept a Republic or Northern address. All had the warning stickers etc and surprise surprise they all arrived no problems at all.
    So to suggest a Ps5 will be returned to sender because of a tiny battery in a controller is ridiculous and will only serve to turn people who want to use Address Pal away from it.
    There are a lot of regulations when it comes to shipping lithium batteries by air. Packaging guidelines, labels on the parcel, different regulations depending on the size/energy of the battery, whether it is a standalone batteries or contained within a device etc.

I think at the moment a lot of companies do not want the hassle of understanding & complying with the regulations so they just err on the side of caution/laziness and refuse to touch anything.

And then you have the other extreme where Chinese sellers couldn't give a hoot about regulations so they don't put any labels on their parcels and they get through just fine.

Last time I checked AnPost don't care about parcels containing lithium batteries coming into the country. Once they get in - no matter by air or road - they deliver them no bother. It's only when you are sending things out of the country that AnPost refuse to touch them.

I agree that not delivering a PS5 console due to a tiny 1500mAh battery sealed inside a sturdy plastic controller would be silly and contrary to the intent of the regulations.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Last time I checked AnPost don't care about parcels containing lithium batteries coming into the country. Once they get in - no matter by air or road - they deliver them no bother. It's only when you are sending things out of the country that AnPost refuse to touch them.

An Post have to take responsibility through Addresspal, that's why they have it on their prohibited list. It comes in on Aer Lingus passenger planes in the belly hold. As you say, An Post don't care once it has arrived in Ireland by any other method.

whiterebel wrote: »
    An Post have to take responsibility through Addresspal, that's why they have it on their prohibited list. It comes in on Aer Lingus passenger planes in the belly hold. As you say, An Post don't care once it has arrived in Ireland by any other method.
    They don't specifically mention lithium batteries on the AddressPal website.

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/terms-and-conditions

I think it's mainly sending things back where you'd run into trouble. Indeed that might be why Amazon are refusing to ship the PS5 here directly, not because they can't send things in, but because it's harder or more expensive for them to arrange returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Just FYI on address pal I have only used them a handful of times a few years ago (exclusively for powerbanks) but I always found them to take over 3 days to get from address pal uk to my local post office.
    Maybe they have got better in recent years but I always found them to be extremely slow compared to parcel motel or parcel wizard.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They don't specifically mention lithium batteries on the AddressPal website.

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/terms-and-conditions

I think it's mainly sending things back where you'd run into trouble. Indeed that might be why Amazon are refusing to ship the PS5 here directly, not because they can't send things in, but because it's harder or more expensive for them to arrange returns.

Take your pick from Dangerous, flammable solid or IATA restricted. That is why all products containing LI batteries are now marked as such for transport. They used to specifically say batteries. They should make it a lot clearer because most people don't see these things as dangerous when you carry them around everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Hope Sony do something along the lines of the Xbox Elite controller, really liked the paddles they released a couple months back for the DS4, especially for COD. Or if I could use the DS4 for COD on PS5 that would be great.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Take your pick from Dangerous, flammable solid or IATA restricted. That is why all products containing LI batteries are now marked as such for transport. They used to specifically say batteries. They should make it a lot clearer because most people don't see these things as dangerous when you carry them around everyday.
    This is a customer-facing website, if they didn't accept products containing lithium batteries they would specifically state it, not leave people guessing as to whether they fall under some vague categories.

They have no problem specifically stating it on the AnPost page relating to sending items:

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Sending/Sending-Guide/Prohibited-Items

This is a customer-facing website, if they didn't accept products containing lithium batteries they would specifically state it, not leave people guessing as to whether they fall under some vague categories.

They have no problem specifically stating it on the AnPost page relating to sending items:

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Sending/Sending-Guide/Prohibited-Items

I did say they should make it a lot clearer, because people don't realise that their shipments will arrive in to the depot with a hazardous label on it. In the An Post list it specifically states Lithium Batteries, AddressPal is a service sending parcels from the UK to Ireland, so why they don't just copy the list on to both sites, I don't know.
    Anyway I'm out, I was just trying to warn people of the problems others have experienced through the courier forum, with boxes being returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Seems in store in Gamestop or Smyths at launch are our best bet along with Argos and Harvey Norman which aren't doing pre-orders. Obv that's if you have missed out to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Going to be relevant to the PS5 eventually:

Microsoft have bought Bethesda Studios, which makes Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dishonoured, Doom and others. So they're likely to become Xbox exclusives in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Penn wrote: »
    Going to be relevant to the PS5 eventually:

Microsoft have bought Bethesda Studios, which makes Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dishonoured, Doom and others. So they're likely to become Xbox exclusives in the future.

Disappointing we won't be able to get Skyrim on the PS7 but ah well.

Xbox Pre-orders go out tomorrow, wonder if they'll be as crazy? For me PS5 has won this round 399 is an excellent price and I have no use for a drive myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

Inquitus wrote: »
    Xbox Pre-orders go out tomorrow, wonder if they'll be as crazy? For me PS5 has won this round 399 is an excellent price and I have no use for a drive myself.

I am very interested in either a Series S or X and I have a PS5 pre-ordered and a PC. Gamepass is a hellofa drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Series S for me for the other room.

Will do nicely as a media centre and console for EA games

Might spring for a Series S next year, but the PS5 will more than do me for this year's big purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Might spring for a Series S next year, but the PS5 will more than do me for this year's big purchase.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/21/welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/

It's fairly big in fairness,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Unlike Sony, MS have given plenty of notice and a defined time for them to start, it won't be anywhere near as bad. I think it will be much easier to get an Xbox than a PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

padair wrote: »

Woah this is historic.

Damn! Solidifies me getting an xbox anyway

Woah this is historic.

Sony has spiderman, horizon, god of war
    Microsoft just upped the anti,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

padair wrote: »
    Microsoft just upped the anti,

The anti…Sony?

• Advertisement

The anti…Sony?

Typo, ante

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Woah this is historic.

Would have felt the same way a few years ago around the time of Skyrim and fallout 3
    But after the last 2 fallouts and elder scrolls online i feel it’s no great loss to PlayStation. Unless of course Microsoft get them to start churning out some quality elder scrolls and fallout in which case I may need to get an Xbox just for that

As I said on the Gaming forum, I'm not too bothered by it, as they don't make many games I'm interested in. Tried Fallout 3 twice and couldn't get into it. Tried Skyrim and didn't enjoy it either. Haven't played Doom or Dishonoured. Deathloop looks alright but don't know if I'd be rushing to get it either.

It's definitely a huge get for MS though, and will definitely sway a lot of people. And it's another big sign of intent from MS that they're going at it hard for this gen. But between how Fallout 76 turned out, the godawful engine they use for those games, and the price MS paid for it ($7.5bn)... I'd have to wonder how good a deal it is and how much it'll actually bring to MS.

If the games go free on Gamepass, I'd imagine there'll be more Fallout 76 type of monetisation coming to those games, and I'm not sure it'll make so many people switch from PS5 to Xbox considering the games will be PC too.

Jim Ryan from Sony said about how they're not going to do the same as Xbox does with Gamepass because it's not sustainable. With the money MS are throwing at some studios, that may prove to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Has it been mentioned if PS4 and PS5 multiplayer games will be compatible? Like, If I'm playing Overwatch or Apex Legends on my PS5 will I still be able to team up with PS4 players?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Dishonored, Doom, Prey and the Evil Within were all games that I enjoyed. Wolfenstein was a case of diminishing returns. The first one in the reboot was great but it got less interesting with each new game. For some strange reason, I've zero interest in Doom Eternal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

For some strange reason, I've zero interest in Doom Eternal.

It is nowhere near as good as the last one, that's why barely anyone talks about it anymore.

As I said on the Gaming forum, I'm not too bothered by it, as they don't make many games I'm interested in. Tried Fallout 3 twice and couldn't get into it. Tried Skyrim and didn't enjoy it either. Haven't played Doom or Dishonoured. Deathloop looks alright but don't know if I'd be rushing to get it either.

It's definitely a huge get for MS though, and will definitely sway a lot of people. And it's another big sign of intent from MS that they're going at it hard for this gen. But between how Fallout 76 turned out, the godawful engine they use for those games, and the price MS paid for it ($7.5bn)... I'd have to wonder how good a deal it is and how much it'll actually bring to MS.

If the games go free on Gamepass, I'd imagine there'll be more Fallout 76 type of monetisation coming to those games, and I'm not sure it'll make so many people switch from PS5 to Xbox considering the games will be PC too.

Jim Ryan from Sony said about how they're not going to do the same as Xbox does with Gamepass because it's not sustainable. With the money MS are throwing at some studios, that may prove to be true.

With current game development times we will hardly see them much before the next Gen comes out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With current game development times we will hardly see them much before the next Gen comes out.

With current game development tools you just compile the game for one console and it will work (optimisation not withstanding). Anything not announced or with no publisher commitments will now be a Microsoft exclusive and these studios are all working on something. I doubt it will be that long before we see exclusives. 2021 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭GavK

Missed out on pre-ordering a PS5 last week. Would I have a good chance between getting one between launch day and Christmas ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement