Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

iHungry wrote: »
    Is it worth the money to trade in a console fully boxed and all leads to CEX for the cash rather than try sell it on adverts? Mines a 1TB PS4-211

Yes do it - you might get an extra 20 on Adverts but is it worth the hassle? If it was 100 in the difference I would say adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭iHungry

Great thanks for the quick replies. Im going to register it now with CEX.

Am I right in thinking if I have PS plus my game saves data and game purchases pass to the PS5 when I eventually login? And all that's left to do is reset my console to factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Is your online account number the same as your membership number? I only signed up on the website recently, but was asked to sign up for full membership in the store when I brought in my goods. Having said that, the staff member in the shop didn't ask for ID or anything (maybe because I had already added my bank details to my CEX account online??).
    I had a key tag with barcode from years ago registered to my email. I'm guessing they just linked them

• Registered Users Posts: 44 luciddream

iHungry wrote: »
    Great thanks for the quick replies. Im going to register it now with CEX.

Am I right in thinking if I have PS plus my game saves data and game purchases pass to the PS5 when I eventually login? And all that's left to do is reset my console to factory?

Yep correct, whatever purchases you made on your PSN will be tied to that account so when you sign in on the PS5 they should all be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

How does one backup the save data on ps4? Anything else I should do before wiping it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

bennyl10 wrote: »
    a GS in dublin has said they expect about 30 PS5s, and to cover preorders to March at launch. leaving approx 300 unfulfilled in this store alone

If Smyths and Amazon seem to have a very strong idea of quotas i dont understand how GameStop can have 'no idea,..

30 per store equates to around 1300/1400 for Gamestop in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Yup..this was in a shopping centre in south Dublin. which would be one of the larger ones too you’d imagine..

Now that may change if Sony’s stuff about more units is true, but ya it’s not a lot

It explains why Smyths ran out so quickly too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Smyths had 2000 on first night allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

So ties in then if those figures are accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

bennyl10 wrote: »
    So ties in then if those figures are accurate

Yeah you would assume the 30 per store as you said and then 600/700 as internet orders perhaps to get to the 2000 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

im not surprised with covid 19 being a problem probably why store's got less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Wondering where this figure came from. Was this stated anywhere?
    How does one backup the save data on ps4? Anything else I should do before wiping it?

If you have PS+ there's 100GB of cloud storage available - https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/get-help/help-library/playstation-plus/playstation-plus/playstation-plus-online-storage-on-playstation-4/

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Where did you get those figures? Haven't heard of any allocation figures for Smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Interesting to see Smyths still have plenty of Xbox Series S units left. That's obviously going to be a big fail by Microsoft as nobody will want an under-powered machine and would rather pay an extra 100 for the PS5 Digital that's full power. Would be no reason to upgrade from the Xbox One to the Series S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I don't remember this lack of supply when the PS4 released. I'm hoping that Sony are playing a clever game to drive up demand and there'll be a massive release of units in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

loughrey wrote: »
    Interesting to see Smyths still have plenty of Xbox Series S units left. That's obviously going to be a big fail by Microsoft as nobody will want an under-powered machine and would rather pay an extra 100 for the PS5 Digital that's full power. Would be no reason to upgrade from the Xbox One to the Series S.

I agree, the only benefit of a Blu Ray drive is you can trade in games which is a dying trade anyways, noone watches blurays these days, so the €100 saved is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Notorious wrote: »
    I don't remember this lack of supply when the PS4 released. I'm hoping that Sony are playing a clever game to drive up demand and there'll be a massive release of units in the next few weeks.

Covid wasn't around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Inquitus wrote: »
    I agree, the only benefit of a Blu Ray drive is you can trade in games which is a dying trade anyways, noone watches blurays these days, so the €100 saved is a no brainer.

The benefit is paying €50-60 for a game on a disc and lower as the weeks go on vs €75 on PSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    The benefit is paying €50-60 for a game on a disc and lower as the weeks go on vs €75 on PSN.

This is why I'll always buy physical copies.. TLOU2 on the psn store is still 70 euro and will be for a while, in cex you can get it for 52 and nevermind if you check Facebook marketplace or adverts etc.

On top of that in a few weeks you could easily sell for 50-70% if not more of what you paid for it, can never do that with digital media.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

It's one of the only ways left to watch 3d movies. You just pop on your PlayStation VR headset and way you go.

3d movies are not released digitally anywhere.

• Advertisement

It's one of the only ways left to watch 3d movies. You just pop on your PlayStation VR headset and way you go.

3d movies are not released digitally anywhere.

3D is a failed tech for home use imho, but point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

loughrey wrote: »

I think the opposite early adopters wanted the most powerful tech out there hence the series X flew off the shelves.

Where the S will game traction is casual pick up and play consumers who value price, I know a few yesterday who bought one as they don't really game but have kids and may play fifa every once in a while.

I can see it becoming like the new wii if MS get round to actually showing what an excellent product gamepass is.

Having it set at 1440p won't hinder it for a fair few years as when we head into the covid recession a 4k TV won't be high on the purchase list and the value it and gamepass are will benefit it.

P. S I don't expect it to sell more than the wii it was an analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

You can back up your saves individually on a USB stick via the save data section in the settings menu. Alternatively you can back them all up in one go via the backup section at the bottom of the settings menu.

Go into accounts and deactivate it as your primary PS4 before you wipe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Apologies for possibly stupid question, but I assume I simply login to PS5 with my exisitng PS4 ID account details and my digital games / Plus subscription carries over?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

sticker wrote: »
    Apologies for possibly stupid question, but I assume I simply login to PS5 with my exisitng PS4 ID account details and my digital games / Plus subscription carries over?

Thanks

Yeah, assume so. That's pretty much how it worked with PS3 to PS4, though because PS4 had a lot of focus on adding social info (eg. for sharing, streaming content etc) there were a few extra steps involved. But yes your digital games and any PS subscriptions are tied to your account, not the console. Once you link the new PS5 to your account your subscription and licenses for games will carry over (though you'll have to download games again, download save files from the cloud or via USB etc)

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah, assume so. That's pretty much how it worked with PS3 to PS4, though because PS4 had a lot of focus on adding social info (eg. for sharing, streaming content etc) there were a few extra steps involved. But yes your digital games and any PS subscriptions are tied to your account, not the console. Once you link the new PS5 to your account your subscription and licenses for games will carry over (though you'll have to download games again, download save files from the cloud or via USB etc)

Can you use them on a PS4 and PS5 at the same time?

Can you use them on a PS4 and PS5 at the same time?

I have 2 PS4's in the house, but if I log into my profile on one, it disconnects the other.

Other player profiles can play the other but not mine at the same time.

That said, I'm not going to be in two places at once!

sticker wrote: »
    I have 2 PS4's in the house, but if I log into my profile on one, it disconnects the other.

Other player profiles can play the other but not mine at the same time.

That said, I'm not going to be in two places at once!

Son's on PS4, I am getting a PS5 obv having all games on one A/c would be best, seems like its a non starter sadly.

Son's on PS4, I am getting a PS5 obv having all games on one A/c would be best, seems like its a non starter sadly.

My son has his own account. If you set old ps4 to primary he can use ps plus. etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement