Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

Would it be a waste of money buying a PS4 Pro at this stage? I'm not an early adopter by any means and wouldn't normally be picking up a PS5 on release, but don't want to invest money in a PS4 pro now if it is essentially end of life. Has it been confirmed the PS5 is backwards compatible? And will the current gen PSVR work with it?
    It depends how keen you are to play games right now. If you can wait i'd wait.

Having said that you could get plenty of mileage from a PS4 Pro depending on how big your backlog is and how many forthcoming games you're interested in.

Personally I think PS5 will have a fairly quiet first couple of years, in terms of essential system-exclusive titles. The first wave of launch titles will be mostly cross-gen and remasters. The titles after that will surely be delayed due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

My own PS4 is on the way out. I mean it's still working but I don't give it another year so I think I'll upgrade. Yeah, these tech demos always look amazing. I remember that FF demo. These things CAN run in real time as it says but that's when there is no AI running and will limited, extremely well plotted camera/light position options. Having said that, the Unreal 4 tech demo was eventually even surpassed.

As with any generation it will be a couple of years before we start noticing a real boost in quality. Compare the environments in Final Fantasy XV compared to say, Killzone at launch. Or even Battlefield 4 and 5. Both on same console and on same game engine (Frostbite 3).

Regarding release date. Initially I was concerned by the last of info we were getting. Microsoft were dishing out info after info after info (Please, I'm not a fanboy of any of them. I have all 3 current gen systems but PS is my go-to machine). But we were hearing so little from Sony. Surely we should know everything by now.

But then I thought, no, it's usually at E3 that we get the price, release date and general reveal of the product. I remember watching E3 live at about 3AM streaming to my TV. Expecting them to be inline with Xbox only for them to come out with that mike drop :)

Of course Covid will have had an impact on manufacturing and development for ALL systems (Despite what they say) but I can still see a 2020 launch for PS5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LaAlgerie

I can't wait for the improved sound on the console. In the previous presentation, Mark Cerney admitted the sound was far better on the PS3.

SSD goodness. :)

I like the design of the controller but not the Xbox-ness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That SSD does really seem to be making the difference. I watched the Sony developers presentation (Interesting but dry) and obviously it's gonna be all about how great their machine is but it does make sense: You can have all the CPU and GPU power in the world but if you simply can't get the data to them fast enough then there is your bottleneck.

I know it's not exactly comparing like with like but I have being playing Destiny 2 on Stadia and PS4 and it shocking to see the difference in load times. Again, apples and oranges but goes to show what is possible. Load times on Stadia are about 1/4 - 1/5 of PS4 (And I'm assuming Xbox).

My only real concern is backwards compatibility: Do I want to play a PS1 or 2 (or even 3) game on my PS5? No. But I would certainly like to be able to transfer my PS4 games: Uncharted, The Last of Us (And especially 2), Final Fantasy Remake etc.

I know backward compatibility in some form is something we have come to expect in the last generations but it would kill me to lose a few games and I'm not going to have both generation machines under my tele. In fairness, Microsoft really have shown Sony up on that front. I'm old enough to be around pretty much from the start of home consoles (Although I didn't have one personally until Gamecube). And I remember that there was no such thing as backwards compatibility :) And my god but games were expensive then. 70 pounds for streetfighter..... in the early 90s? Jesus Christ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

^^^ I remember my mother paying £65 punts for Donkey Kong on the Coleco Vision back in 1982. We played that fukker to death ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Few rumours that the design will be unveiled via an online blog on June 2nd. Would be awesome if true, only a week away!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Does this dude have any track record for predicting stuff?

If PS5 is still on track to launch in late 2020 then an unveil in the next few weeks is a no-brainer. You don't need to be an insider to figure that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'll be looking to get the PS5 on launch which will more than likely mean pre-ordering it. I'm really hoping to use Gamestop to trade in my PS4 Pro but seeing as the VR is on sale today and Gamestop don't have any in stock online or in store, It's gonna be hard to trust they'll even be open by the time PS5 comes out. Will be hard to trust unless you can drop a fiver deposit or something and trade the ps4 on launch day.

Will either be that or pre-ordering with Smyths and selling my ps4 to CEX closer to launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Decided to just pick up a PS4 on Amazon. Regular PS4 with two controllers for £209. not bad considering I only have a HD TV and wont be updating for another year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'll be looking to get the PS5 on launch which will more than likely mean pre-ordering it. I'm really hoping to use Gamestop to trade in my PS4 Pro but seeing as the VR is on sale today and Gamestop don't have any in stock online or in store, It's gonna be hard to trust they'll even be open by the time PS5 comes out. Will be hard to trust unless you can drop a fiver deposit or something and trade the ps4 on launch day.

Will either be that or pre-ordering with Smyths and selling my ps4 to CEX closer to launch.

I thnk everyone is just out of stock at the moment of consoles. Most ecommerce stores are getting black friday traffic at the moment. They would have loads of stock in store that they probably cant touch as well due to the covid rules. When the stores are all back open for retailers there stock levels will be much higher. They have had trade deals for every launch so will have them for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well there goes my trade in plan. just got word that my local gamestop will be closing permanently from the end of this month.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Well there goes my trade in plan. just got word that my local gamestop will be closing permanently from the end of this month.

Was that the only one in your area? Will probably seeing a good few more closures.

I live in Donegal so only one in the county. Says my nearest will be Sligo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I live in Donegal so only one in the county. Says my nearest will be Sligo

There's multiple in some counties i could understand reducing but closing the only one in a county is fairly impactful.

Yeah so nearest one is now about 90 mins drive from me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Any idea which other ones are closing? I've a few hundred put into a PS5 deposit and I don't wan to lose it :D

RedXIV wrote: »
    Any idea which other ones are closing? I've a few hundred put into a PS5 deposit and I don't wan to lose it :D

Just posted in the covid 19 gaming thread

"GameStop announced store closures tonight Longford Charlestown and Letterkenny gone out in emails to customers up on Facebook too.
    "

It says "Don't worry if you have placed a pre-order with us. A store manager will be in contact with you after June 8th"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Cheers fellas, appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

No more dates or rumours for first day games?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We should know more on the 3rd or 4th of June going by what has been mentioned recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Xenji wrote: »
    We should know more on the 3rd or 4th of June going by what has been mentioned recently.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1265655716389564416

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Current games announced for PS5
    3gaf7s53y8151.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Saw that image earlier. Should be noted though they're not launch games, most are just games already announced for PS5 at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TrivialArguer

Current games announced for PS5
    https://i.redd.it/3gaf7s53y8151.jpg

R6S
    "we expect it to make the most of the 60fps the PS5 has to offer"
    :rolleyes::mad::(:eek:confused::pac:
    A roller coaster of emotions reading that....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

R6S
    "we expect it to make the most of the 60fps the PS5 has to offer"
    :rolleyes::mad::(:eek:confused::pac:
    A roller coaster of emotions reading that....

Surely it runs at 60fps already on current gen? :confused:

Not exactly the most demanding game. Weird statement.

Little bit of info on back-compat from Eurogamer, Sony are requiring that all PS4 games submitted for certification from July onward to be compatible with PS5. It puts the onus on the developer to test the game (on the PS5 devkit presumably).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-05-29-new-ps4-games-must-be-playstation-5-compatible-from-july-sony-tells-devs

Naturally this means the system does not have perfect 1:1 back compatibility, otherwise these kind of stipulations would be unnecessary. It is probably quite close (to perfect) but each title needs to be tested on an individual basis to ensure no bugs arise. So i'm expecting a whitelist system where PS4 games don't run unless they're on the list, and the list is expanded over time via system updates.

This comes back to Cerny's comment about most of the top 100 titles being compatible at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

Good job they didn't stick with their usual E3 time. Means I might have more chance of watching this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement