Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

I want to like this game was hoping for a bit more throwback to twisted metal, but just looks like fortnite on wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah I don't know what to make of Destruction Allstars. The dev team has great pedigree and the gameplay concept has a lot of potential. But the fortnite rip off characters and style are such a massive turn off. I feel like they'd have shown a bit more proper gameplay footage by now if they had more faith in it too, given that it's one of the few completely exclusive launch titles on either console.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Just doesn't look like a game worth paying full whack for

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It has "dance emotes".

527813.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mando212

Apologies in advance if this was answered earlier on in the thread. Are the units Smyths put up for pre-order last Friday guaranteed for release day or a later date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

mando212 wrote: »
    Apologies in advance if this was answered earlier on in the thread. Are the units Smyths put up for pre-order last Friday guaranteed for release day or a later date?

Release date per the emails sent out, no contradictions so far.

They only sold what they knew they would receive unlike Gamestop who sold the world's entire supply and some!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

mando212 wrote: »

You're good for launch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Just hoping Smyths send them out so they arrive by Post/Courier on launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

fixXxer wrote: »
    Just hoping Smyths send them out so they arrive by Post/Courier on launch day.

If not you'll have it the Friday. Usually out by courier though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

If anyone has a pre order with GameStop it's worth checking if they actually took the €50, in my case it appeared as pending in my bank account but never went out. I only noticed when I cancelled my preorder after getting one from Smyth's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

A bit more information on Sackboy: A Big Adventure.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/sackboy_a_big_adventure_looks_adorable_in_new_ps5_gameplay_trailer_special_editions_detailed

I'm delighted that it's ditched the create element. Giving it the platform (no pun intended) to just be a great game to play through could turn it into an excellent little game.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Are many people upgrading their TV for the PS5? Would you say that a TV with HDMI 2.1 and 120hz is essential?

I've got a budget Hisense 4K TV atm, but I might consider an upgrade if it doesn't break the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Are many people upgrading their TV for the PS5? Would you say that a TV with HDMI 2.1 and 120hz is essential?

I've got a budget Hisense 4K TV atm, but I might consider an upgrade if it doesn't break the bank

I was going to use an older 4K60 TV I've had for a few years, but it was a cheap-assed model when I bought it, and has gotten far worse with age.

So, if I can scrape the money together, I think I'll invest in something good. I'd love an LG CX, but realistically I'll be shopping at a tier or two beneath that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I doubt too many games will be running at >60fps so I wouldn't be too worried.

Their priority will be delivering true 4K at high visual fidelity, the >60fps is likely to be in much less demanding or non AAA games.

The vast majority of games right now run at 30fps on the current consoles, so even the jump to 60 being more standard is a big step forward.

Running at 120fps would mean heavily compromising on visual quality, which they probably won't do in most cases from a dev POV, when a) 60fps as standard is a new standard for consoles and b) vast majority of playerbase won't have 120hz screens anyway.

As long as you have a decent 4K HDR screen already, I really don't think you will be missing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Nice to have but nowhere near essential, much like 1080p support on PS3, I really don't see 120 hz being in any more than a handful of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Also not all ports are created equally. I have 4 HDMIs in my 4K Samsung RU7100(fairly entry level) and only one is ARC which is the only one that receives a true 4K image so that when my PS5 does arrive I will be having to make a choice between the PS5 and the Firestick for maximum resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Just to be future proof for many years is there any feature I should be looking for in a 4k tv? The last TV I bought is not 4K and I am tempted to upgrade it to 4K but want to make sure it will run console games well for years without having to upgrade again.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

From Reddit:

NO you do NOT need HDMI 2.1 for eARC, ALLM, or VRR. All of those can be baked into HDMI 2.0b IF your TV AND your SOURCE supports those features!

No Current AVR supports HDMI 2.1 at this time.

No current SOURCE supports HDMI 2.1.

When the PS5 of XBSX comes out do you really think every single game will support full 4k@120? HELL NO! Most AAA titles will not.

Next if you are about HDMI 2.1 then my advice is DON'T BUY A TV RIGHT NOW! Wait for 2021 (or for Vizio & TCL to at least announce their 2020 Lineups supposedly both will support HDMI 2.1) and the 3rd year (2nd year of actual adoption besides mostly flagships)

TLDR: **** or get off the toilet and back in line with HDMI 2.1.

Just bare in mind that not all TV's that claim HDMI 2.1 will fully support HDMI 2.1. For them to slap a HDMI 2.1 logo or advertisement on their box or specifications they only have to support some features of HDMI 2.1.

Also please make sure your cable is CERTIFIED - HDMI Forum debuts mandatory certification of cables for HDMI 2.1 Spoiler - none have been certified yet!

Current List of TV's that Support HDMI 2.1 and are not Garbage (I'm looking at you nAnOcElL & edge lit QLED's)

LG B9 (Discontinued)

LG C9 (Discontinued)

LG E9 (Discontinued)

LG BX

LG CX

LG GX

LG RX

Samsung Q90T

Samsung Q80T

Sony X900H

Further Reading/Information:

HDMI.org - HDMI 2.1 Spec

HDTVTEST - LG Cuts HDMI 2.1 Bandwidth on 2020 4K TVs Below 48Gbps. Does It Matter?

Audioholics - HDMI 2.1 - The Definitive Guide to the Next Generation

DigitalTrends - HDMI 2.1 is going to be big in 2020. Here’s everything you need to know

Rtings - What is HDMI 2.1? An overview

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I’m most interested in VRR. I’d imagine it’ll make frame drops feel less noticeable and jarring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Berty wrote:
    Also not all ports are created equally. I have 4 HDMIs in my 4K Samsung RU7100(fairly entry level) and only one is ARC which is the only one that receives a true 4K image so that when my PS5 does arrive I will be having to make a choice between the PS5 and the Firestick for maximum resolution.

Do you mind me asking if that's the same with most tvs. I only seem to have one hdmi arc port also so I guess I should be using this port for the ps5 to get a better picture? Thanks for help im clueless with tvs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Do you mind me asking if that's the same with most tvs. I only seem to have one hdmi arc port also so I guess I should be using this port for the ps5 to get a better picture? Thanks for help im clueless with tvs

I do not know the answer to that. It took me a while of fiddling around with the TV and googling issues because I wasn't getting above 1080p before I found that one port was different. As soon as I plugged the Firestick into it I could see it turn to UHD.

All I know that is my 4K TV does not like my Sky Box(Sky Q 2TB UHD) and Samsung and Sky blame each other so I removed it from the room and now the 4K TV I bought my missus is now in another room connected to my PS4. Win win for me really for my future PS5 :D

Berty wrote: »

You should be able to get a full 4K image from every HDMI port, the arc channel is just for sound. Make sure 'input signal plus' or 'UHD full colour' is switched on.

The Arc channel is just for outputting sound, it doesn't offer visual enhancements, even highest end tvs only have one arc port.

Berty wrote:
    I do not know the answer to that. It took me a while of fiddling around with the TV and googling issues because I wasn't getting above 1080p before I found that one port was different. As soon as I plugged the Firestick into it I could see it turn to UHD.

Berty wrote:
    All I know that is my 4K TV does not like my Sky Box(Sky Q 2TB UHD) and Samsung and Sky blame each other so I removed it from the room and now the 4K TV I bought my missus is now in another room connected to my PS4. Win win for me really for my future PS5

Thanks for the reply man. I have a 4k tv but its a cheap model I got for my office just for gaming. Lots of messing around with it when I get the ps5 so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

I have just been able to order the PS5 Digital bundle with the extra controller on Game.co.uk and still seems to be in stock, hope it helps someone

https://www.game.co.uk/en/m/playstation-5-digital-edition-additional-dualsense-wireless-controller-2836751

Markitron wrote:
    You should be able to get a full 4K image from every HDMI port, the arc channel is just for sound. Make sure 'input signal plus' or 'UHD full colour' is switched on.

My setting seems to be called HDMI 2.0 Format, I have that set to enhanced rather than standard. Reckon thats the same setting yoy mention above? My TV supposedly is hdr10 but don't seem to have a setting specifically for hdr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

mcgrailg wrote: »
    I have just been able to order the PS5 Digital bundle with the extra controller on Game.co.uk and still seems to be in stock, hope it helps someone

https://www.game.co.uk/en/m/playstation-5-digital-edition-additional-dualsense-wireless-controller-2836751

Thanks for this mcgrailg - Assume you need to use Address Pal or similar?

What would people recommend as the best alternative to Parcel Motel - Nothing but problems with them in the last while from inexplicable delays to a package being ripped open.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Thanks for this mcgrailg - Assume you need to use Address Pal or similar?

What would people recommend as the best alternative to Parcel Motel - Nothing but problems with them in the last while from inexplicable delays to a package being ripped open.

Luckily i have a family member who lives up the North so i got it shipped there but others on here mentioned using parcel motel or similar with their orders

My setting seems to be called HDMI 2.0 Format, I have that set to enhanced rather than standard. Reckon thats the same setting yoy mention above? My TV supposedly is hdr10 but don't seem to have a setting specifically for hdr.

It depends on the make of your TV but setting the HDMI to 'enhanced' usually just unlocks full bandwith signals, like 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 chroma. In your case it may also activate the arc feature.You have no reason not to turn this on. Either way, every port should give you a 4K HDR signal.

Again it depends on the manufacturer, but HDR is usually just done automatically. The only setting should be whether or not it is on/off/auto. You usually just adjust HDR picture settings while it is active.

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote:
    Again it depends on the manufacturer, but HDR is usually just done automatically. The only setting should be whether or not it is on/off/auto. You usually just adjust HDR picture settings while it is active.

Thanks so much. Got it sorted. This setting seemed to do it. Loaded up Red Dead there and got the option to adjust HDR which I never had before.

Have more confidence in the TV now. Should have HDR at 4k and 50-60 FPS which should do me for the PS5 for a while. Was beginning to panic about it.

Thanks for the support guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement