Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Like the main thing putting some people off digital is that once you buy a game, if you don't like it you can't just trade it back in. Also having digital games the same price as physical even when there is no packaging is another thing. In an ideal world digital games would be cheaper than physical at launch but that will never happen as retailers have too much pull

You don't have to buy games direct from the store, there are plenty of site that sell codes for cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Like the main thing putting some people off digital is that once you buy a game, if you don't like it you can't just trade it back in. Also having digital games the same price as physical even when there is no packaging is another thing. In an ideal world digital games would be cheaper than physical at launch but that will never happen as retailers have too much pull

Absolutely, that's why I'll always get the disc version solely for resale value but there are better options being 1) swapping or selling on FB market/adverts etc 2) CeXs prices are usually higher (basing this completely off anecdotal evidence from working in CeX could be completely wrong just what people would say to me)

The reason I bring up digital consoles anyway is because they will definitely have an effect on supply for second hand retailers. Say 1m games sell per year in Ireland and GameStop owns half the market, that's 500k potential games they can buy and sell. I think digital consoles have been confirmed to be 20% of the supply so that means GameStop will only have 400k games potentially to buy and sell, assuming all other factors stay the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

FixitFelix wrote: »
    You don't have to buy games direct from the store, there are plenty of site that sell codes for cheaper

Oh I know that, I usually buy from the US, Turkey or Indonesia psn stores anyway so never paying full price for games at release anyway. I'd only use the Irish store for multiplayer games or if game sharing with my brother and even then I would buy credit from Eneba

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Oh I know that, I usually buy from the US, Turkey or Indonesia psn stores anyway so never paying full price for games at release anyway. I'd only use the Irish store for multiplayer games or if game sharing with my brother and even then I would buy credit from Eneba

Not everyone's as savvy as you and I though!
    I remember turning 2 friends onto a PS+ deal a couple of years back and they wouldn't even entertain it. Called it "too dodgy", despite me having used the site for years and showing them email receipts :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Not everyone's as savvy as you and I though!
    I remember turning 2 friends onto a PS+ deal a couple of years back and they wouldn't even entertain it. Called it "too dodgy", despite me having used the site for years and showing them email receipts :)

Yeah it was hotukdeals that got me onto the Turkey and Indonesia stores mainly a user named JoeyDeacon who usually posts deals for these regions.. I also find PSN4.com a good site for comparing game prices among US, Turkey and Indonesia. One thing to note when buying from other regions is that multiplayer Games are messy when it comes to dlc as usually tied to the purchasing account. Found this out the hard way buying the gold edition for The Crew 2 off the Canada store and not getting any of the season pass benefits as tied to Canada account. Single player games are grand though. Hopefully they don't get rid of this with PS5 or at least make it like Xbox where an account can use any region

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

jones wrote: »
    I agree it's very odd we have not seen the UI internals etc but surely all the work has been done at this point with only 6 weeks to go? I know software would be last but they must have millions of units already made. Sony are being very quiet this gen and Microsoft are releasing everything...interesting tactic lets see how it plays out :-)

e05b4cb8-3825-4533-88e0-610bfad1d636_text.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Yeah it was hotukdeals that got me onto the Turkey and Indonesia stores mainly a user named JoeyDeacon who usually posts deals for these regions.. I also find PSN4.com a good site for comparing game prices among US, Turkey and Indonesia. One thing to note when buying from other regions is that multiplayer Games are messy when it comes to dlc as usually tied to the purchasing account. Found this out the hard way buying the gold edition for The Crew 2 off the Canada store and not getting any of the season pass benefits as tied to Canada account. Single player games are grand though. Hopefully they don't get rid of this with PS5 or at least make it like Xbox where an account can use any region

This will be me this year unfortunately! I've got a cousin in dubai picking me up one at launch! I presume there's ways of working around the dlc region issue?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Mate of mine got told to call into the GameStop he ordered his PS5 from as they're no longer communicating over text.

He tried ringing and they were vague about it and continued to say come in and talk to the staff about it.

Hes going in today to find out the story with it, he pre-ordered a few months ago when they were taking interest.

Any more on this?

Cotts72 wrote: »
    This will be me this year unfortunately! I've got a cousin in dubai picking me up one at launch! I presume there's ways of working around the dlc region issue?

Can't you just use your Irish account? Even though console is from Dubai there is no reason you can't use your Irish account on it. In relation to regions, dlc has to be bought from the same region as the game, single player games are usually OK as the DLC is downloadable. For multiplayer games dlc is tied to the purchasing account. Good examples would be the ps plus Addons for Fortnite or Modern Warfare where you don't actually download the content, it becomes tied to the account that has ps plus and purchased it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Mate of mine got told to call into the GameStop he ordered his PS5 from as they're no longer communicating over text.

He tried ringing and they were vague about it and continued to say come in and talk to the staff about it.

Hes going in today to find out the story with it, he pre-ordered a few months ago when they were taking interest.
    Any more on this?

I was in GS on Wednesday doing a XBX One X trade-in for the Series X. I had
    registered in-store back at the start of January, for both the Series X and PS5.
    Paid the €50 deposit for both.
    The guy said the PS5 pre-order is still unknown, whist I'm guaranteed the
    Series X for launch.

• Advertisement

Can't you just use your Irish account? Even though console is from Dubai there is no reason you can't use your Irish account on it. In relation to regions, dlc has to be bought from the same region as the game, single player games are usually OK as the DLC is downloadable. For multiplayer games dlc is tied to the purchasing account. Good examples would be the ps plus Addons for Fortnite or Modern Warfare where you don't actually download the content, it becomes tied to the account that has ps plus and purchased it.

That's what Im hoping to do alright (don't actually have a account yet as I'm moving from xbox)

I'm just wondering for dlc purposes do I need to create an account with dubai location in order to avail of dlc or digital games?

Presume once I download from that Acc to the console then I can access it on the Irish acc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Why are you setting up a Dubai account?

Are the prices that much cheaper?

If you do set up a Dubai account, then yes, the games can be accessed by your Irish account.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BlueEars

Any more on this?

I called into GameStop yesterday to see if they could tell me my chances of getting a PS5 on launch day, I pre ordered in August so before I discovered this thread! The guy told me that head office are trying to work out how best to communicate with customers who have pre ordered to let them know where they stand. He reckons that everyone should get a call from the store where they pre ordered next week to let them know, sounded very unsure and vague. He did say that those who ordered in store would take precedence over online orders. What the hell would they have taken online orders at all in that case as they are already way over sold?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Breaking News

Video game seller GameStop are no longer in debt and close to going into administration. Thanks to thousands of €50 donations they are now in fact taking orders for the PS6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

BlueEars wrote: »
    The guy told me that head office are trying to work out how best to communicate with customers who have pre ordered to let them know where they stand.

That's easy "I’m not much on speeches, but it's so gratifying to leave you wallowing in the mess you've made. You're screwed, thank you, bye."

Still amazed so many kept giving them 50 euro tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Any more on this?

Pretty much exactly same as below.

Buddy knows one of the lads int he local GS and although he couldn't confirm he'd get one, he was confident that he'd get one.

GS were still unsure about numbers going by their exchange.

I'm not saying I'd be worried if I ordered with GS but its come across pretty s**ty that they've waited this long to potentially reach out to people who might miss out on launch day because of their greed and taking so much "interest" in the console, since God knows when.
    BlueEars wrote: »
    I called into GameStop yesterday to see if they could tell me my chances of getting a PS5 on launch day, I pre ordered in August so before I discovered this thread! The guy told me that head office are trying to work out how best to communicate with customers who have pre ordered to let them know where they stand. He reckons that everyone should get a call from the store where they pre ordered next week to let them know, sounded very unsure and vague. He did say that those who ordered in store would take precedence over online orders. What the hell would they have taken online orders at all in that case as they are already way over sold?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

As long as there are still physical games to trade in, I can't see Gamestop disappearing. Especially with the increase in game prices people will probably be trading in more. Saying that, I've gone digital so I wouldn't be going near them anyway

Why do people go to GameStop with their unwanted games anyway?

I'd rather sell mine on adverts for €40 and wait a few days than to GameStop for €5 or €5.50 in store credit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

Don't hold out crash 4 is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Why do people go to GameStop with their unwanted games anyway?

I'd rather sell mine on adverts for €40 and wait a few days than to GameStop for €5 or €5.50 in store credit

I would rather peel my skin off and roll around in salt than set foot in a GS ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Don't hold out crash 4 is awesome

Yeah getting good reviews all over the shop. Looking forward to cracking into it later

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    Why are you setting up a Dubai account?

Are the prices that much cheaper?

If you do set up a Dubai account, then yes, the games can be accessed by your Irish account.

As the ps5 is being bought in dubai and sent over to me.. I'm setting up an Irish account but as I've been told I'll encounter difficulty with dlc or digital downloads so that's why I was enquiring do I need to set up another account (dubai) to access dlc or digital downloads

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Markitron wrote: »
    I would rather peel my skin off and roll around in salt than set foot in a GS ever again

Last time I was in Game Stop one of the staff members came over to me and asked me to leave because I was looking through the prices of the games and giving out about them to my wife. I'd rather not get a Playstation 5 at launch than get it off Gamestop.

Last time I was in Game Stop one of the staff members came over to me and asked me to leave because I was looking through the prices of the games and giving out about them to my wife. I'd rather not get a Playstation 5 at launch than get it off Gamestop.

Last time I was in a GameStop the guy behind the counter just wouldn't stop trying to upsell me on their various ****e, I had to tell him at least 3 or 4 times that I only wanted the game but he wouldn't stop. I know they are told they have to do this but it makes it no less irritating, its easier to buy Neurofen Plus from the chemist than it is to buy a game from them.

This was in 2015 I think, from the outside looking in they all look like toy shops now for some reason.

As the ps5 is being bought in dubai and sent over to me.. I'm setting up an Irish account but as I've been told I'll encounter difficulty with dlc or digital downloads so that's why I was enquiring do I need to set up another account (dubai) to access dlc or digital downloads
    If you buy games with your Irish account along with the dlc on the same account there will be no reason to create a dubai account.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Just set up an Irish account and maybe a US one.
    You don't need a Dubai account just because it's being bought there.

I have a US account I occasionally use for cheap games and an Indonesian account I used once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Not entirely PS5 relevant at the moment, but worth a note as a pattern is emerging

GameStop failing to have games for Launch, happened with Mario 3d all-stars last week, and Crash this morning, blaming it on "distributors not sending any stock to Ireland on time"

Despite Smyths having games on shelves and ready to go

Isn't exactly a good sign for launch of anything

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Not entirely PS5 relevant at the moment, but worth a note as a pattern is emerging

GameStop failing to have games for Launch, happened with Mario 3d all-stars last week, and Crash this morning, blaming it on "distributors not sending any stock to Ireland on time"

Despite Smyths having games on shelves and ready to go

Isn't exactly a good sign for launch of anything

To me its a sign that they are completely incompetent, one of many many signs.

Markitron wrote: »
    To me its a sign that they are completely incompetent, one of many many signs.

I think they make next to nothing on new games so they probably think it's not worth their time to get stock in

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Kremin wrote: »
    I think they make next to nothing on new games so they probably think it's not worth their time to get stock in

True but the challenge for their business is getting footfall for the trade in stuff and the higher margined stuff they sell. If somebody cannot get a new game they won't trade something(if trading at all) and won't see the other stuff they could pick up, can't get the staff hounding them about add ons either.

Get the customer in the door first and they need launch consoles, launch games for that.

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    True but the challenge for their business is getting footfall for the trade in stuff and the higher margined stuff they sell. If somebody cannot get a new game they won't trade something(if trading at all) and won't see the other stuff they could pick up, can't get the staff hounding them about add ons either.

Get the customer in the door first and they need launch consoles, launch games for that.

Listen what you're saying makes sense... Or they could fill that space with some more overpriced merchandise from whatever franchise was popular last year and I think we all know which option they'll choose 99/100 times

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement