Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,055 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've the headset and camera preordered. With the push on the audio, I think the headset is a must, unless you have a proper surround sound setup. I'd also imagine that most top end headsets should work, but with the proprietary 'Tempest' audio engine, I don't know if other headsets would be the same (as I imagine the PS5 headset is designed to show off Tempest). The camera I'm getting in the hope that it'll improve the VR tracking some bit. Don't use the current one for anything but VR.

I think those with headsets they can program or download profiles for might soon get an update or profile designed for Tempest. Or maybe I'm overthinking things.

A quote from this article:

"In short, the PS5 should transform your gaming experience though 3D audio. Indeed, Sony says the effect is so powerful that you'll be able to hear where individual rain drops are landing in a game's environment. "

It's 3D audio, not surround, so if your current headset supports 3D audio, I think it should work.

Edit: Further quote:

"But while the Pulse 3D headset could be the only wireless headset to fully support PS5 3D audio in the early days, it's our understanding that you'll also be able to get the effect by plugging standard, wired headphones into the PS5 DualSense controller.

But the fact remains, to get the best out of 3D audio you'll need specially-tuned hardware that has been configured to work hand-in-hand with Tempest 3D AudioTech."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I've the headset and camera preordered. With the push on the audio, I think the headset is a must, unless you have a proper surround sound setup. I'd also imagine that most top end headsets should work, but with the proprietary 'Tempest' audio engine, I don't know if other headsets would be the same (as I imagine the PS5 headset is designed to show off Tempest). The camera I'm getting in the hope that it'll improve the VR tracking some bit. Don't use the current one for anything but VR.

I think those with headsets they can program or download profiles for might soon get an update or profile designed for Tempest. Or maybe I'm overthinking things.

A quote from this article:

"In short, the PS5 should transform your gaming experience though 3D audio. Indeed, Sony says the effect is so powerful that you'll be able to hear where individual rain drops are landing in a game's environment. "

It's 3D audio, not surround, so if your current headset supports 3D audio, I think it should work.

Edit: Further quote:

"But while the Pulse 3D headset could be the only wireless headset to fully support PS5 3D audio in the early days, it's our understanding that you'll also be able to get the effect by plugging standard, wired headphones into the PS5 DualSense controller.

But the fact remains, to get the best out of 3D audio you'll need specially-tuned hardware that has been configured to work hand-in-hand with Tempest 3D AudioTech."

I'm with you on the headphones, seems like sound is going to be one of the biggest leaps forward so can't resist trying out fir myself.

Re the camera, info is vague but I understood the ps5 camera available for order now is NOT compatible with psvr. They'll be a different adapter free for psvr users to use with existing camera and ps5

• Registered Users Posts: 14,055 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can't see anything saying that, but I also kind find anything confirming or otherwise. All I can find is the PS4 camera will require an adapter to work with the PS5, which Sony are apparantly giving PSVR users for free at "some" stage. So to me that reads that you can't use PSVR Day 1 with the PS5 unless the PS5 camera can be used, which I imagine it should. Link

Would be a huge oversight if the PS5 camera doesn't work with PSVR. And they haven't announced anything about the adapter yet so don't think it'll be available on launch. Also, Boost Mode should improve framerates and load times on PSVR. Should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

I want to get the 3D audio headset but there all sold out guess I have to wait till launch see if they have any spares to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I can't see anything saying that, but I also kind find anything confirming or otherwise. All I can find is the PS4 camera will require an adapter to work with the PS5, which Sony are apparantly giving PSVR users for free at "some" stage. So to me that reads that you can't use PSVR Day 1 with the PS5 unless the PS5 camera can be used, which I imagine it should. Link

Would be a huge oversight if the PS5 camera doesn't work with PSVR. And they haven't announced anything about the adapter yet so don't think it'll be available on launch. Also, Boost Mode should improve framerates and load times on PSVR. Should.

Agree would certainly be an oversight if it doesn't work. But since psvr came before the ps5 camera, maybe it's a comparability issue. Anyhow, still not confirmed either way (just had a quick google myself too) more just a note of caution before we know either way.

Looking forward to the loading screens improving, iron man was worst example on ps4, immersion was completely destroyed by the loading screens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

I also have Astro A50s for my PS4 but preordered the Pulse 3d headset for PS5...
    Found the A50s a bit bulky anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just reading the rumour that the PS5 will have 664GB of useable space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was just reading the rumour that the PS5 will have 664GB of useable space

Xbox only has 800 so not outside realm of possibility

Here it is booting up, could be fake

https://v.redd.it/bi0x7bqezrq51

• Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The 664 would be full after a few CoD updates

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well I hope those super fast SSDs prices drop quickly. We will be needing replacements soon enough.

• Advertisement

200 for the Xbox is kinda crazy too

What's an OS on Pc. Think Win 10 is about 20gb for 64 bit version

200 for the Xbox is kinda crazy too

What's an OS on Pc. Think Win 10 is about 20gb for 64 bit version

But these ssd will use a lot of that space for textures etc I presume to make it super fast

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

EjZekZ5U0AAVOge?format=jpg&name=large

Remember when the series X was first revealed and we thought it looked like a huge chunky speaker?

Holy sheeet PS5 looking like the biggest router in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm not saying the ps5 isn't that big but that pic is definitely photoshopped. Looking forward to the actual reveal videos today for a proper look. I do remember thinking how huge the xbox was when first revealed, never thought the PS5 would actually make it look small.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

That image is fake unfortunately. This is the real size comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Astro's Playroom Demo | 24:14

Astro's Playroom Demo, Godfall | 11:19

Astro's Playroom Demo | 11:53

Astro's Playroom Demo, Devil May Cry, Bulan WonderWorld | 35:15

Astro's Playroom Demo, Devil May Cry 5 | 13:58

Astro's Playroom Demo | 24:19

Astro's Playroom Demo | 11:51

Astro's Playroom Demo, Godfall, Balun Wonderworld | 19:11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Lots of info leaking now. Black controller exists,
    https://imgur.com/a/A9ubD14#mrhijha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Agree would certainly be an oversight if it doesn't work. But since psvr came before the ps5 camera, maybe it's a comparability issue. Anyhow, still not confirmed either way (just had a quick google myself too) more just a note of caution before we know either way.

Looking forward to the loading screens improving, iron man was worst example on ps4, immersion was completely destroyed by the loading screens

Can’t see the new camera supporting the current psvr. Sony would have to force all developers to enable it or risk making a mess of the whole ecosystem. Imagine having to swap cameras depending on the game.

On the super expensive storage: The XSX allows you to use a standard external HD to “park” your games. Does the PS5 have a similar option?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

On the super expensive storage: The XSX allows you to use a standard external HD to “park” your games. Does the PS5 have a similar option?

Sony have yet to clarify what kind of external SSDs will meet the size and speed requirements of the PS5.

And just to clarify in case some might not know, an external HD on an Xbox Series X can still be used for every currently playable game. It's the next-gen games that need to be on the SSD.

We should be getting a ton of PS5 info this week from the western world, most importantly, Digital Foundry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Lots of info leaking now. Black controller exists,
    https://imgur.com/a/A9ubD14#mrhijha

That controller ‘leaked’ a few months ago. It’s either a dev kit controller or a fake, Sony wouldn’t release a controller that looks that awful (I hope)

pcadhain wrote: »
    Sony have yet to clarify what kind of external SSDs will meet the size and speed requirements of the PS5.

And just to clarify in case some might not know, an external HD on an Xbox Series X can still be used for every currently playable game. It's the next-gen games that need to be on the SSD.

We should be getting a ton of PS5 info this week from the western world, most importantly, Digital Foundry.

Yip. But you can store next gen games on the external HD. You have to move them back to the SSd to use them, but it’s a great feature if you’ve appalling internet like me. Sony has really been poor at communicating their features this gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Well, according to this, it's relatively quiet at least - 4gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Well, according to this, it's relatively quiet at least - 4gamer.

Relatively quiet so far. My PS4 started off fine and after a few months it was stupidly loud.

I'd like to see a tear down of the PS5 like Digital Foundry did for the Series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Relatively quiet so far. My PS4 started off fine and after a few months it was stupidly loud.

I'd like to see a tear down of the PS5 like Digital Foundry did for the Series X.

Sony have a timer set for the fan to break after a few months to drive you had so you go and buy the newer model with improved fan, shnakes.

I worked for sony laptop support before and i had to tell a guy it was 500 pounds to replace his motherboard after liquid spillage was found and not covered by the warranty (yes, the price for repairs was outrageous).

He then claimed, and was deadly serious, that Sony fitted their laptops with vials of water and a timer where the vial would break and ruin the laptop and he'd have to pay more to get it fixed. He even went the legal route. Never heard from him again but i hope he won :)

No noticable fan noise and console still cool after 80 minutes

https://dengekionline.com/articles/52523/

Double post as boards acting up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Must've been fairly loud and obnoxious :rolleyes:

Yes, the staff member was indeed, how'd you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Hoping someone can clear this up for me.

If I buy a PS5 and want to play Bloodborne including DLC, am I better off:

- just buying disc or digital GOTY edition

- using the version on the PS+ collection and separately buying the DLC. I believe PS+ doesn’t include DLC but I’m open to correction. I’d also note that I would be getting ps+ anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

Hoping someone can clear this up for me.

If I buy a PS5 and want to play Bloodborne including DLC, am I better off:

- just buying disc or digital GOTY edition

- using the version on the PS+ collection and separately buying the DLC. I believe PS+ doesn’t include DLC but I’m open to correction. I’d also note that I would be getting ps+ anyway
    well the base game come free with ps5 with plus collection you just have to buy DLC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement