Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Smyths will be the safest place to preorder. There's no fear of them going under before launch like Gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I'll pre-order on Amazon and Smyths, If I get the two, I will flog the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    With gamestop gone from Dun Laoghaire where would be a place that I could pre order the ps5 and pay off weekly?

ive set up a vault on revolut for this exact reason ( well xbox series x) just a different way of saving yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder how many gameplay videos we will actually see, compared to cinematic trailers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wonder how many gameplay videos we will actually see, compared to cinematic trailers

They must have seen the response to Xbox.

Even if they added gameplay that was kinda redundant they try to add some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Youtube link to livestream

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Amazon put up a dummy listing for 599 sterling. We'll see if it's the RRP. If it is I'll wait until GameStop trade in value is announced to see if it's worth the while getting day one. I'll probably just hold out til next year or until games stop being cross generation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/ps5-price-games-amazon-listing-error%3famp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

There's a rake of Crash Bandicoot merchandise that's been leaked today which could suggest a new Crash game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

ronano wrote: »
    Amazon put up a dummy listing for 599 sterling. We'll see if it's the RRP. If it is I'll wait until GameStop trade in value is announced to see if it's worth the while getting day one. I'll probably just hold out til next year or until games stop being cross generation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/ps5-price-games-amazon-listing-error%3famp=1

I think €499 is a safe bet

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Cyclonius

I'd imagine €449 or €499. The $/€599 price for the PS3 lead to it being the worst selling home console for Sony, something that Sony would be wary of even today. It would be better to take a hit on the initial sale price, as they would earn multiples of it back over the life spn of the PS5, through their cut on game sales, as well as Playstation Plus and Now. If they come in with too high a price point, Microsoft will try to undercut them. They may reveal the games and console today, and hold off on the price for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Cyclonius wrote: »
    I'd imagine €449 or €499. The $/€599 price for the PS3 lead to it being the worst selling home console for Sony, something that Sony would be wary of even today. It would be better to take a hit on the initial sale price, as they would earn multiples of it back over the life spn of the PS5, through their cut on game sales, as well as Playstation Plus and Now. If they come in with too high a price point, Microsoft will try to undercut them. They may reveal the games and console today, and hold off on the price for the moment.

The PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 in the end though. Sony just had to figure out the price point the hard way :p

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

We are in different times now, people pay up to 1500 euros each year for a new phone from Samsung or apple, hell even a one plus is nearly 1k now

Price wise I am going 499 however it could be 599,

Microsoft will undercut Sony that’s the thing I can see happening, as the new Xbox is going to be pushed hard

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm hoping it's not over 500 but I'd pay that. 400 - 450 would be a sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Really don’t think we’ll see a price announced today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

We are in different times now, people pay up to 1500 euros each year for a new phone from Samsung or apple, hell even a one plus is nearly 1k now

This is very true, but it was only 2018 when the Sony Worldwide Studios President admitted they got the pricing of the PS3 wrong. Mind you, that guy has since left the role.

I think they targeted the same $399 as PS4. It's a proven price. But probably missed their target by $50 or more. That SSD will be pricey.

They might still sell at $399 but i'm leaning towards $449-499 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    This is very true, but it was only 2018 when the Sony Worldwide Studios President admitted they got the pricing of the PS3 wrong. Mind you, that guy has since left the role.

Like a good gaming pc is over a grand anyway, you can upgrade it but a 2070 or 2080 gpu can set up back over 350 euros plus you get maybe 4 years out of one but a console costs nearly the same !!! And has the same life span !!!’

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd be surprised if it's over 500. Seems a bit of a deathknell for a console over that, especially with the economic prospects atm

Really don’t think we’ll see a price announced today.

Agreed.

For tonight, I just want to see the physical console, learn some of the launch titles, see some actual gameplay, and hear the sound demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Agreed.

For tonight, I just want to see the physical console, learn some of the launch titles, see some actual gameplay, and hear the sound demo.
    I'd argue they just have to show actual gameplay. the rest isn't as important but toys will be thrown on socials no matter what happens so :pac:

• Advertisement

I'd argue they just have to show actual gameplay. the rest isn't as important but toys will be thrown on socials no matter what happens so :pac:

Well they've already promised the sound demo. If I get my good headphones out for nothing, there'll be hell to pay! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Yes but adjusted for inflation, the PS3 launch price would be close to 800 today.

Computer games have been remarkably inflation resistant compared to most other products over the years. But if you look at other electronics like phones and tablets, a €500 high performance console that lasts for years is ridiculously good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Mate that Console was €629 here at release. I am still moderately shocked at myself for paying it. IIRC I got it in GAME for €699 w/ Resistance and Motorstorm.
    Well they've already promised the sound demo. If I get my good headphones out for nothing, there'll be hell to pay! :pac:
    The stream is targeting 1080p/30 FPS, it won't even be able to display the visuals correctly and its gonna be throttled with traffic. I would lower your expectations for sound quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s a really tricky Catch-22 regarding console pricing. Having to keep to €400-500 generation after generation (the huge inflation jumps offset a bit by reducing cost of technology, but not that much) potentially limits what you can actually put into the machine. Of course, go any higher and you’ll completely turn lots of people away - particularly a concern now when many do face particularly tough times economically, and an extra hundred quid is a big jump in that context.

So yeah, I’d say somewhere in the €400-500 range is the safe bet - certainly MS I think you’ll see aggressively trying to get as low as possible after fumbling by bundling in the Kinect last time. But yeah the tech sounds quite a bit more advanced than even the Pro / X so it’ll be a tricky balancing act, and wouldn’t at all be surprised if there’s a push towards €500.

They will more than likely increase the sub for Playstation Plus and claw the money back that way.

Looking forward to seeing the true design of the thing. I really like the Series X design so it's gonna have to do a good job to impress me.

A €600 price point wouldn't put me off. Of course it would be great if it was cheaper but people spend more money on phones and probably change them more often than games consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

With the wording of the event, it sounds like it will be just games but hope that's a herring. Surely we need to see what the console actually looks like by now though.

https://twitter.com/summergamefest/status/1271083879768526849?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder what Game is like for trade ins. Now that I'm closer to a Game than a gamestop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Like a good gaming pc is over a grand anyway, you can upgrade it but a 2070 or 2080 gpu can set up back over 350 euros plus you get maybe 4 years out of one but a console costs nearly the same !!! And has the same life span !!!’

A good gpu like a 2070 is more like €500 and even that is slower than the new ps5 gpu

I believe the ps5 £599 rumours, lot of expensive tech in it, going to be class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Starfield please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement