Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Either way. I'm not worried at all about my click and collect order.

It'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Absolutely essential!

Level 5 will see only essential retail open so smyths would have to close so I'd hope collection would auto change to delivery but if we go into full lockdown again, surely deliveries would take a hit again.

So if the country could cop on for the next 4 weeks, no parties, wear your mask, wash your hands etc, we might be alright for PS5 launch.
    I have full confidence smyths can swing that they're essential coming up to Christmas! The government can't forget anti-lockdown protests etc if they close Smyth's they'll have parents marching for their heads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Kremin wrote: »
    I have full confidence smyths can swing that they're essential coming up to Christmas! The government can't forget anti-lockdown protests etc if they close Smyth's they'll have parents marching for their heads

No way they will be opening as "essential" if we are in L4/5. They have online capability and govt won't allow it.

Gamestop will mess this up no doubt

Smyths will get the console to you if they cannot open the shops

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

No way they will be opening as "essential" if we are in L4/5. They have online capability and govt won't allow it.

Gamestop will mess this up no doubt

Smyths will get the console to you if they cannot open the shops

I really don't want to be sitting around waiting for it to arrive on release day, but I am confident in Smyths to get it sorted.

Gamestop will be a cluster****

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I honestly can't seem them closing down retail currently, closing down the most important part of the year (Christmas Shopping) and forcing people on to Amazon for it would kill Irish retailers and the economy, I just can't see the government want to deal with the economic fallout of that. That being said, if things continue to get worse they probably will close it down but not as things are currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, I mean Smyths have their numbers, their orders and details. Worst case scenario (I'd say) is that a week beforehand or so they'll say "We have to deliver. It'll be an extra XXXX quid. If you wish to cancel your order please let us know ASAP" type thing.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    I honestly can't seem them closing down retail currently, closing down the most important part of the year (Christmas Shopping) and forcing people on to Amazon for it would kill Irish retailers and the economy, I just can't see the government want to deal with the economic fallout of that. That being said, if things continue to get worse they probably will close it down but not as things are currently.

I agree with you, but they'll make a mockery of themselves if they don't. L4 and 5 both state non essential retail to close.

I say getting my Playstation is an essential service. (I joke but Gamestop did demand this in the US. :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I agree with you, but they'll make a mockery of themselves if they don't. L4 and 5 both state non essential retail to close.

not to get all politics here....but....

NPHET are making decisions based purely on public health trends, and they are worrying. Last thing they want to do is make it a ****e Christmas for everyone. but if we do this now we may have a chance to see our families over that point.

NPHET are only advising and it'll be ultimately the govt. making the final call.

What's actually making a mockery is our government's wishy washy approach to the situation, piss poor communication (you'd get more clarity from Paddy Pintman), not knowing about and building resources for this enviable second wave is the mockery.

politics over

What will probably happen is,

a) Smyth's will push everyone to delivery only or may be contactless collection (think of popping the boot type collections, and figure a way to take/print receipts).

b) if we go to L4/L5 now this week, we will hopefully be back out again by the time it's released so that collections can happen.

c) GameStop will royally f*ck this up, and this post will be yet another reminder not to support them but guarantee there will be angry posts here come launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

LeeroyJ. wrote: »

If they close down hard now, they may be able to have us back in good shape 1st or 2nd week of November, so we can drop back to maybe level 3, so that shops can open back up.

If we do things right, we can maybe save Christmas.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    If they close down hard now, they may be able to have us back in good shape 1st or 2nd week of November, so we can drop back to maybe level 3, so that shops can open back up.

If we do things right, we can maybe save Christmas.

I'd love to see the figures how many people have actually caught the virus from retail shops with all the restrictions and systems they have in place, surely they aren't driving this surge in cases ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd love to see the figures how many people have actually caught the virus from retail shops with all the restrictions and systems they have in place, surely they aren't driving this surge in cases ?

Shops being open means people gather. A quick gander at Henry or Grafton Street any recent weekend shows this. The shops themselves may not be driving virus transmission within their own walls, but the surrounding social interactions - where people meet, shop, pop on public transport, maybe eat and drink - would not be ideal in a situation where we simply don’t want people to meet at all for a few weeks.

Well, without dragging the new C-word into the conversation, I suppose it's all the stuff that goes with the retailers being open: Not so much "Did I catch it in the shop" but more like: In order for the places to be open staff have to commute, stock has to de delivered from one location to another and shelved, people will have to work closely together, shoppers using public transport etc. It's kind of like the people going on about the whole "Oh, the pubs have to close by 10 'cos that's when the virus comes out" glib responses. No, after 10 is when people get stupid with a few pints in 'em (Well, I sure do :) ).

But yeah, to bring it back.... I can see them being closed at launch date but probably opening up for last week in November until Christmas. As many have said in this and many other threads, it's a balancing act between public safety and the economy.

It is unfortunate because it was my intention to spend as much as possible in bricks-and-morter shops this year for Christmas to help businesses. Hopefully we have enough time/space betwen now and Christmas to do this.

Shops being open means people gather. A quick gander at Henry or Grafton Street any recent weekend shows this. The shops themselves may not be driving virus transmission within their own walls, but the surrounding social interactions - where people meet, shop, maybe eat and drink - would not be ideal in a situation where we simply don’t want people to meet at all for a few weeks.

Easy solution is have guards dispersing people and fining loiterers, no need to punish all brick and mortar retail shops for things out of their control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Easy solution is have guards dispersing people and fining loiterers, no need to punish all brick and mortar retail shops for things out of their control.

We wouldn't have a tenth of the Gardai required to do this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

An ‘easy solution’ that would mean a radical change in direction for policing in this country (heavy enforcement is not a characteristic of our police force), huge amounts of extra resources that’d be better spent elsewhere, and risk damaging social solidarity (not that we’re particularly cohesive at the moment). I do think there needs to be *more* enforcement that we’ve seen, but equally see the major benefits of an approach that doesn’t come with the threat of immediate fines and punishments.

Frankly, there are more important things right now than ensuring toy retailers stay open. And there are *far* more important things to consider than whether getting a preordered PS5 will be a little more awkward to collect than expected.

An ‘easy solution’ that would mean a radical change in direction for policing in this country (heavy enforcement is not a characteristic of our police force), huge amounts of extra resources that’d be better spent elsewhere, and risk damaging social solidarity (not that we’re particularly cohesive at the moment). I do think there needs to be *more* enforcement that we’ve seen, but equally see the major benefits of an approach that doesn’t come with the threat of immediate fines and punishments.

Frankly, there are more important things right now than ensuring toy retailers stay open. And there are *far* more important things to consider than whether getting a preordered PS5 will be a little more awkward to collect than expected.

Apologies if my post seemed like I only care if toy retailers are opened, I meant retail in general. So many people rely on retail and the Christmas period especially it'd be pretty disastrous if businesses are forced to close which followed all recommendations and guidelines to the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Apologies if my post seemed like I only care if toy retailers are opened, I meant retail in general. So many people rely on retail and the Christmas period especially it'd be pretty disastrous if businesses are forced to close which followed all recommendations and guidelines to the letter.

I'd agree, and it's a fair point too. If anything, we might be better going into lockdown now for a month so as to start reopening for businesses to get something of their usual Xmas rush, rather than kicking the can further down the road and ending up in lockdown for a few weeks in November, which could absolutely cripple so many more businesses, and cause even more of a retail rush when things are back open which could negate the gains made by the lockdown.

Lives come first, but coming up to Xmas there does need to be strong consideration given to the economic harm a lockdown in November/December would cause. Maybe a 3-4 weeks lockdown ending in early November would be the best balance of all.

Penn wrote: »
    I'd agree, and it's a fair point too. If anything, we might be better going into lockdown now for a month so as to start reopening for businesses to get something of their usual Xmas rush, rather than kicking the can further down the orad and ending up in lockdown for a few weeks in November, which could absolutely cripple so many more businesses, and cause even more of a retail rush when things are back open which could negate the gains made by the lockdown.

Lives come first, but coming up to Xmas there does need to be strong consideration given to the economic harm a lockdown in November/December would cause. Maybe a 3-4 weeks lockdown ending in early November would be the best balance of all.

Absolutely agree lives and people's health comes first. I just hope whatever they choose to do, they are decisive and communicate clearly the plans, if a strong level 5 lockdown is needed now to clear the hospitals and get our numbers down by Christmas then I'll obviously follow them. Just really really hope they don't open back up early November and then lockdown a few days before Christmas as my.mental won't be able to take that haha.

To slightly get back to the topic of ps5, has anyone had any luck with the Doritos promotion? On my third bag now and nothing so far but seeing people winning controllers and even consoles on Reddit is killing me

And it’s absolutely something that needs to be considered! But I think in the general scheme of things, when we’re weighing ‘protecting Christmas shopping season’ and ‘ensuring our hospitals aren’t overrun’, the scales in any reasonable, empathetic society should be tipping substantially in the latter’s favour. For me it’s not even a question which should come first - and that’s accepting how the country’s economic health impacts our health system.

And as Penn mentions above, it’s still only early October. Four weeks would bring us to early November - that’s still a long run until Christmas, or at least it would be in an alternative, non hyper-consumerist society :pac:. Maybe we’d have to extend the restrictions, but we’ve seen before and we’re potentially seeing in Dublin at the moment that short, sharp restrictions do work. If anything, acting now would potentially be the best way to rescue the Christmas season for retailers rather than allow things get gradually worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

My local GS reckons I will get my PS5 on launch. I pre ordered on 04/07/20.
    Their shenanigans is nearly sorted now.

How did you hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

I preordered last October so should be safe enough then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To slightly get back to the topic of ps5, has anyone had any luck with the Doritos promotion? On my third bag now and nothing so far but seeing people winning controllers and even consoles on Reddit is killing me

If it means having to eat that MSG coated cardboard ****e that's posing as tortilla chips then I'm out.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If it means having to eat that MSG coated cardboard ****e that's posing as tortilla chips then I'm out.

I mean eating them is optional as all you need is the code inside the bag but yeah they definitely aren't great :) maybe I just have a gambling problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I mean eating them is optional as all you need is the code inside the bag but yeah they definitely aren't great :) maybe I just have a gambling problem

Surprise mechanics

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As bad as they are, don't think I could open a bag without eating them. Even despite the fact that whoever tested the flame-grilled steak flavour has never had a flame-grilled steak in their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Retr0gamer wrote: »

New Metal Gear game confirmed!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I goddamn love Doritos!, well, the cool, heat, and cheese ones. The extra hot ones are mank. I like spice but I don't like my mouth being on fire while getting zero taste. Never knew there was PS stuff being gambled with them, must stock up. MMMMMM MSG goodness....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

A dorito lootbox!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement