Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Markitron wrote: »
    Its on the Journal now as well, I'm a bit surprised tbh.

I'm not. Another full lockdown would have a pretty devastating impact on the economy and they're not going to have the same financial resources to be able to mitigate its effects like they would have been able to first time round. Can see the likes of Dublin being pushed up to level 4 though, which they couldn't do while everywhere else was at level 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Lads any info on more pre orders? Greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lads any info on more pre orders? Greatly appreciated

Nothing announced yet. Possible Smyths might be getting more in and having a second round of pre-orders, but just speculation. Currys, Argos, Harvey Norman & Tesco will probably all have some stock, but no details yet on when or how they'll do pre-orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Argos will be a fun one to watch. Their systems update any time between midnight and 6am as I found when ordering Mario Allstars 3D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Penn wrote: »
    Nothing announced yet. Possible Smyths might be getting more in and having a second round of pre-orders, but just speculation. Currys, Argos, Harvey Norman & Tesco will probably all have some stock, but no details yet on when or how they'll do pre-orders.

Currys took in store preorders already and reached their allocation on the first day.

Most Tesco stores wont get them - if some do they will all go to staff.

So just Harvey Norman and Argos but again staff have first choice for family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

fixXxer wrote: »
    Argos will be a fun one to watch. Their systems update any time between midnight and 6am as I found when ordering Mario Allstars 3D

I dont think they will allow reservation on these for first day. It will be first come first served so staff will get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Smyths did say the keep checking when i mailed them.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Just watching the news and the queues forming outside Smyths with people thinking level 5 was about to be put in place.
    Really hoping they allow people to change to delivery, imagine the queues November 19th if not :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Just watching the news and the queues forming outside Smyths with people thinking level 5 was about to be put in place.
    Really hoping they allow people to change to delivery, imagine the queues November 19th if not :/

The irony of delaying Level 5 is that it happening during the console releases imo, becomes much more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,772 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They'll have to stagger collection times surely. All depends on how the Xbox release goes I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Smyths will plan it out

Tbf Gamestop said they were going to allocate collection times too on launch day

• Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if cancelled preorders in Smyths are relisted right away or if they wait and do them in bulk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wonder if cancelled preorders in Smyths are relisted right away or if they wait and do them in bulk
    if someone cancel there ps5 it appear online to perorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

Im hoping Smyths do have a plan for ps5 launch looking at there site today saying no home delivery or pick up.They might lockdown home delivery for just the ps5 launch given how expensive the ps5 consoles are or use different couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can't see why these places can't tell everyone that collection is a thing, but the shop will be closed and you've to wait in a car (not standing or at the very least standing very far away) and wait for a phonecall to come to the door and collect. Make it mandatory to have it paid off beforehand (all retailers, not just GameStop but I'm using them as an example). Then it's simply produce your loyalty card/receipt and you get stuff handed over. No sales on the day. It's not that hard to do in fairness, and if it's only pre-orders and the shop itself is closed to walk-ins, they have all day to arrange it.

Edit: I've created a thread specifically for pre-order talk, I think it would be easier for people still trying to pre-order to use a specific thread than trying to find the info on this one, and we can keep this one specific to any new information on the consoles/games/accessories and not get lost inbetween all the preorder chat:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058119473

I have my PS5 as home delivery (couldn't choose the other option during the preorder panic), I'm sure it will be an option at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

rob808 wrote: »
    Im hoping Smyths do have a plan for ps5 launch looking at there site today saying no home delivery or pick up.They might lockdown home delivery for just the ps5 launch given how expensive the ps5 consoles are or use different couriers.

They use UPS which is what apple use to send millions of devices costing multiple of €1000s around the globe. Getting from their warehouse to my front door won’t be an issue for a €499 console.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Have preorders for this gone through the roof? I honestly haven't been keeping up with it at all. I've still plenty of use left in my ps4 yet so I'm not in any mad rush, nor do I have a 4k tv yet! Might pick up a tv in the jan sales and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Messi19 wrote: »
    Have preorders for this gone through the roof? I honestly haven't been keeping up with it at all. I've still plenty of use left in my ps4 yet so I'm not in any mad rush, nor do I have a 4k tv yet! Might pick up a tv in the jan sales and go from there

Well every place doing pre-orders pretty much sold out in minutes. We don't know the actual number of consoles pre-ordered yet but it is likely to be sold out into the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I can't see why these places can't tell everyone that collection is a thing, but the shop will be closed and you've to wait in a car (not standing or at the very least standing very far away) and wait for a phonecall to come to the door and collect. Make it mandatory to have it paid off beforehand (all retailers, not just GameStop but I'm using them as an example). Then it's simply produce your loyalty card/receipt and you get stuff handed over. No sales on the day. It's not that hard to do in fairness, and if it's only pre-orders and the shop itself is closed to walk-ins, they have all day to arrange it.

Edit: I've created a thread specifically for pre-order talk, I think it would be easier for people still trying to pre-order to use a specific thread than trying to find the info on this one, and we can keep this one specific to any new information on the consoles/games/accessories and not get lost inbetween all the preorder chat:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058119473

Because it means that staff will have to go to work to serve you.

I understand the frustration, but c'est la vie.

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    Well every place doing pre-orders pretty much sold out in minutes. We don't know the actual number of consoles pre-ordered yet but it is likely to be sold out into the new year.

This release was a complete farce, particularly as regards pre-orders and national/ shop unit allocation process. Did they have a plan at all? The uptake was surely of a scale that must have been anticipated? There is always big interest in a new Sony console. It's just so odd as the mechanics of a release is quite predictable. Do they learn nothing from previous launches?

I know that companies often like to have just a few units less than the public want, to create a buzz and demand, but don't know whether there was a Covid related supply problem in this instance or if they just badly misjudged the demand. Either way, completely botched release.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

J Mysterio wrote: »
    This release was a complete farce, particularly as regards pre-orders and national/ shop unit allocation process. Did they have a plan at all? The uptake was surely of a scale that must have been anticipated? There is always big interest in a new Sony console. It's just so odd as the mechanics of a release is quite predictable. Do they learn nothing from previous launches?

I know that companies often like to have just a few units less than the public want, to create a buzz and demand, but don't know whether there was a Covid related supply problem in this instance or if they just badly misjudged the demand. Either way, completely botched release.

They're damned if they did damned if they didn't.

They released preorders stealthily on the night of the reveal last month. they sold out in minutes as was said (was more like an hour).

The next week they said they had more stock and set a date of Tuesday lunchtime (don't remember the exact day or time), pre-announcing it gave bots/scalpers a target to slam the website ensuring that they sold out in minutes again.

I'm not sure what else they could have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

J Mysterio wrote: »

I don't really see the point in them creating buzz by limiting pre-orders, the buzz had been building for months and the PS5 was selling out regardless.

As Creamy says, they certainly ****ed up, but any scheduled opening of pre-orders would have been just as big a cluster****.

If they can sell many more at launch, they should.

If they had better judged demand, the bots/ scalpers are left holding their nuts and everyone is happy.

The point is that there is a consistent misjudgement on big product launches like this. Ok, if you're a new company, maybe you can't afford to release a gazillion units at launch, but a company like Sony should have sufficient capital to offer enough units to satiate demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Anyone think there will be any good OLED TV deals this black Friday? I'm looking at the LG BX 55 inch from Richer Sounds that's currently 1250, hoping to see a hundred or two taken off it around Black Friday. Has 4K 120hz and HDMI 2.1 support so very much PS5 ready

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

loughrey wrote: »
    Anyone think there will be any good OLED TV deals this black Friday? I'm looking at the LG BX 55 inch from Richer Sounds that's currently 1250, hoping to see a hundred or two taken off it around Black Friday. Has 4K 120hz and HDMI 2.1 support so very much PS5 ready

The LG oled’s are on sale at the moment at Curry’s/Richer Sounds, not sure how much they’d drop lower than those prices in the sales. Looking at last years sales, the tv’s of then were around the same prices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

loughrey wrote: »

I have the LG C9 which is almost identical to the CX absolute cracking tv. Dying to see it show off the PS5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Covid has most likely decreased the effectiveness of supply chains and production lines along with along increasing demand for home entertainment and consoles. There was probably never a chance of them having enough ready for launch to satisfy demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Actually, they said COVID hadn't disrupted their plans much.

Regardless, whether or not COVID did affect their plans, they can only produce so many at a time and to have them arrive for launch, they have to be shipped at a certain time etc. Demand will always exceed supply at launch for popular products. It's not as easy as "just make more".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement