Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

fixXxer wrote: »

What are they talking about here?

It's also been revealed that Sony is moving into using 'X' as the confirmation button rather than 'O' with the PS5 - something which will no doubt take some getting used to.

It's always been x as the confirmation button?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Sony don't control the retailers pre order systems...

What would you have them do?

jones wrote: »

It's also been revealed that Sony is moving into using 'X' as the confirmation button rather than 'O' with the PS5 - something which will no doubt take some getting used to.

That is in Japan only I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

They're Japanese previews. In Japan it's been O to confirm since PS1. O is synonymous with a tick mark in Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Not in Japan Jonesy! Since the beginning, it's been O for enter, X for back over there.

Anyone remember when we used to use Triangle to go back instead of O?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That is in Japan only I thought

Yeah Japan are the ones switching to the way we do it, where X is confirm and O is back. Always confused me especially in Metal Gear Solid games, or the early ones at least, where O was confirm and X was back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Going back with an X is always a bad idea. Good move on Sony's part to stop us from making a big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

my first experience of this was the annoying menu in MGS always kicking me backwards for hitting X

Thinking about it, it would be easy enough for Sony to allow us to map the buttons to whatever we wanted, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Thinking about it, it would be easy enough for Sony to allow us to map the buttons to whatever we wanted, wouldn't it?

You can map buttons but its all or nothing swaps, not per game or feature.

would love more games to allow full button mapping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Wing126 wrote: »
    Actually, they said COVID hadn't disrupted their plans much.

Regardless, whether or not COVID did affect their plans, they can only produce so many at a time and to have them arrive for launch, they have to be shipped at a certain time etc. Demand will always exceed supply at launch for popular products. It's not as easy as "just make more".

If you have an anticipated launch window years ahead, it comes down to good project management, and planning.

Anticipate demand, and yes, 'make more'.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    If you have an anticipated launch window years ahead, it comes down to good project management, and planning.

I'm sure you know much more about it all than both Sony and Microsoft's (who are also completely sold out on Pre-orders) planning teams. Why don't you go work for them and fix it all up?

IAnticipate demand, and yes, 'make more'.

Wow, that's so ingenious... why didn't Sony do that!?!?! Gah!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Speaking of X and O on the remote, how would you pronounce it?

I’d have always called the buttons down the years - square, circle, triangle, x

Turns out x is supposed to be called cross, cant remember where i saw that a couple years ago but i was horrified

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Wing126 wrote: »
    I'm sure you know much more about it all than both Sony and Microsoft's (who are also completely sold out on Pre-orders) planning teams. Why don't you go work for them and fix it all up?

I'm simply commenting on what seems a clear and obvious failure. I'm sorry it upsets you so.
    Wow, that's so ingenious... why didn't Sony do that!?!?! Gah!!!

Indeed, why not?

Speaking of X and O on the remote, how would you pronounce it?

I’d have always called the buttons down the years - square, circle, triangle, x

Turns out x is supposed to be called cross, cant remember where i saw that a couple years ago but i was horrified

Ex, Oh, Squood and Chinge. That's how I pronounce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Indeed, why not?

Probably cause China have reached their limit on the muslims they can force into making consoles for them.

Indeed, why not?

Development on the console has likely been going on until early this year, including the design of the console itself and how it all shapes together. Then you have so many components which have to come from other sources.

They can't have been making the consoles in the background for the last few years, because then you're tied into whatever specs you come up with at the time, which means by the time the console comes out it's outdated. They would have come up with a base spec a few years ago for developers, then constantly be testing and updating it where possible until the point where they finalise the design/specs and move into production. Then Covid hit and obviously had an affect too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Penn wrote: »
    Development on the console has likely been going on until early this year, including the design of the console itself and how it all shapes together. Then you have so many components which have to come from other sources.

They can't have been making the consoles in the background for the last few years, because then you're tied into whatever specs you come up with at the time, which means by the time the console comes out it's outdated. They would have come up with a base spec a few years ago for developers, then constantly be testing and updating it where possible until the point where they finalise the design/specs and move into production. Then Covid hit and obviously had an affect too.

They're already outdated compared to PC :pac:

Said as a pleb still rocking a gtx 1070 for the forseeable future

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Depends on the PC

My graphics card only has three digits...

• Advertisement

I'm simply commenting on what seems a clear and obvious failure. I'm sorry it upsets you so.

It doesn't upset me at all, I'm just not trying to playact like I know more than the professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Console hardware is famously only finalised at the last possible minute. Incorporating the latest tech into a console has massive variabilities in long-term and short-term cost as well as availability. They also have to lock in a manufacturing company to actually make the consoles. So much of the process is completely out of their hands, smart planning can minimise risk but no amount of project management can mitigate these factors completely.

TLDR: You are talking out of your arse.

Yea but the PC doesn't have Demon's Souls.

Or does it? I haven't a clue where they landed on that one actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Preview of Astro's Playroom has me very excited.

Special power-ups in each world
    4 to 5 hours long
    Many hidden homages to the 25-year history of the PlayStation
    Time attack
    Online ranking
    4 themed worlds (GPU, SSD, CPU, RAM)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

The LG oled’s are on sale at the moment at Curry’s/Richer Sounds, not sure how much they’d drop lower than those prices in the sales. Looking at last years sales, the tv’s of then were around the same prices

That's true but I'm hoping to see the prices drop more this year as LG released the BX this year at 300 euros lower than the B9 last year. The price currently was about what the price was at this time last year but the release retail price is lower this year so that can allow retailers to drop the price more this year as they got those panels cheaper this year from LG at launch, so LG oled prices have come down this year, likely because they're hasn't been a big spec bump with the BX this year over the B9. Last year the B9 saw a big leap over the B8 with the added 4K at 120hz and the HDMI 2.1 upgrade over the 2.0 of the previous year, plus thy variable refresh standards. This year there's only been a slight processor bump so likely LG can produce them for less this year compared to least year with the higher cost of these newer hardware components for the 2019 release, which have probably come down in price for them this year. Richersounds only has 150 off now which they've had pretty much since the BX was released, this time last year that had 300 knocked off the launch price. So I'm hoping to see at least some UK retailers dropping that by another 100 that Richersounds will price match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

wow your pc seriously outdated get a rtx 3070 so you can get ray tracing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Preview of Astro's Playroom has me very excited.

Special power-ups in each world
    4 to 5 hours long
    Many hidden homages to the 25-year history of the PlayStation
    Time attack
    Online ranking
    4 themed worlds (GPU, SSD, CPU, RAM)

It certainly sounds decent for a pack-in game

rob808 wrote: »

RX570 4GB here, still fine for Game Pass ;)

Speaking of TV's. Anybody have any recommendations for 4K HDR in and around €600?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Experience PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech with compatible headsets at launch, TV Virtual Surround Sound coming after launch

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/06/experience-ps5s-tempest-3d-audiotech-with-compatible-headsets-at-launch-tv-virtual-surround-sound-coming-after-launch/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

rob808 wrote: »

That's my point PS5 outdated compared to PC already but I won't have the big bucks needed to afford that PC for a long time :D And it's going to be big bucks as it looks like this gen of PC is going to require a completely rebuild rather than just replacing the GPU. So I won't be beating a PS5 in performance anytime soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement