Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not the best comparison, the players look like PS2 in the PS4 game compared to something like the Last of Us so not impressed by the PS5 comparison.

The lighting model is a drastic improvement. It feels very flat in the PS4 game. But it's kind of one of those things you won't notice unless they are side by side. Still not convinced this gen is a massive leap in graphical fidelity.

The depth of field effect in the PS5 version is a very noticeable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not the best comparison, the players look like PS2 in the PS4 game compared to something like the Last of Us so not impressed by the PS5 comparison.

The lighting model is a drastic improvement. It feels very flat in the PS4 game. But it's kind of one of those things you won't notice unless they are side by side. Still not convinced this gen is a massive leap in graphical fidelity.

Ah cmon, I have a love/hate relationship with the NBA 2K series but their graphics have always been unreal. NBA 2K21 on PS4 looks absolutely class and it's only when it sits beside the PS5 version, it looks ****. We were never gonna get the graphical jump we saw from PS3 to PS4 but the extra lighting and detail they can pack in makes a big difference.

Also, here's NBA 2K on PS2 to compare :)

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Evilbart wrote: »
    There will be no problems with software stock due to the console shortages. Just pick it up when you collect the ps5.The game shelves will be stacked.

I just didn't want to have to cancel my pre-order, especially if there is shenanigans with level 5 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

Markitron wrote: »
    I just didn't want to have to cancel my pre-order, especially if there is shenanigans with level 5 etc.

I'm sure Smyths will hold preorders until the actual console is out.

I'm sure Smyths will hold preorders until the actual console is out.

Like I said, it is usually only 48 hours with a click and collect order, after which they refund you and cancel the order. They will have to amend this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ah cmon, I have a love/hate relationship with the NBA 2K series but their graphics have always been unreal. NBA 2K21 on PS4 looks absolutely class and it's only when it sits beside the PS5 version, it looks ****. We were never gonna get the graphical jump we saw from PS3 to PS4 but the extra lighting and detail they can pack in makes a big difference.

Also, here's NBA 2K on PS2 to compare :)

hqdefault.jpg

Maybe the models look good for a sports game but they look awful to me compared to the games I play.

Sports games have never impressed me visually so still hoping to see some actual next gen games that impress me.

Maybe the models look good for a sports game but they look awful to me compared to the games I play.

Sports games have never impressed me visually so still hoping to see some actual next gen games that impress me.

Fair enough if you're not into sports games but this looks like real Stephen Curry.

EjsFdh_XkAIVzUr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

To be fair - expectations would want to be pretty high for a basketball game, hardly a vast array of settings to be made :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jays, they love barrels of sweat in sports games to demonstrate next gen graphics.

To me, it always seems, when there's a new generation of consoles, and there are comparisons between the 2, as if the older generation's game is always "turned down" graphically speaking, to make it look lesser than the new gen. Ray tracing aside, the PS4 graphics there in those comparison pics could easily have come from a late era PS3 game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Jays, they love barrels of sweat in sports games to demonstrate next gen graphics.

To me, it always seems, when there's a new generation of consoles, and there are comparisons between the 2, as if the older generation's game is always "turned down" graphically speaking, to make it look lesser than the new gen. Ray tracing aside, the PS4 graphics there in those comparison pics could easily have come from a late era PS3 game

Tbf, the PS4 graphics shown there looks the same as the 2K20 version of the game from what I've seen on Youtube. Doesn't look like they've been turned down to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Berty wrote: »

How easily those panels remove! Can definitely see them selling different colours/designs to allow customisation (along with a controller obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Nice to finally see a teardown, I keep being surprised with how big the console actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

heat sink is huge, probably had overheating issues which lead to the console being so big

How easily those panels remove! Can definitely see them selling different colours/designs to allow customisation (along with a controller obviously)

**** it, I might just take mine off and spray paint them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

ShaneU wrote: »
    heat sink is huge, probably had overheating issues which lead to the console being so big

That or the constant complaining from gamers about the fans got their attention. A lot consideration for airflow/heat dissapation in that design

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

So the PS5 is 390mm high, just measured my PS4(non pro) on an official stand and it's 295mm high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

No VR port on the back... So it'll be USB

I can see some slick replacement panels being made by "modders" with how simply there are removed

Have to say I am impressed with the engineering behind it. Looks like they have made some improvements regarding noise, vibrations, fans, cooling.

No VR port on the back... So it'll be USB

Or wireless. Realistically, I am hoping for a dongle or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Berty wrote: »
    So the PS5 is 390mm high, just measured my PS4(non pro) on an official stand and it's 295mm high.

Crazy big :o

With the panels taken off it looks much much smaller. Can see them reigning them in when they redesign it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

I read somewhere yesterday, not sure where, that the PS5 has replaceable SSD for easy upgrade of storage. Same as PS4 with the HDD.
    That video shows integrated SSD.

Edit. My bad. It says upgradable storage, not replaceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone who ever plans on opening it better make sure they open it the right way up, the gallium in liquid metal eats aluminium.
    nedd wrote: »
    I read somewhere yesterday, not sure where, that the PS5 has replaceable SSD for easy upgrade of storage. Same as PS4 with the HDD.

Shows it before that, m2 rather than the old 2.5" SSD/HDD.

528542.JPG

It has an expansion port for extra SSDs but the original SSD is not replaceable (at least not easily). The expansion port is one of the first things you see after he pops off the side panels.

I think they said ssd slot for additional drive, not replacement. Saying that, i might have missed it in that vid where the extra ssd goes.

Looks excellent anyway, the noise and heat reduction looks to be great, to on the 19th November!!

Varik wrote: »
    Anyone who ever plans on opening it better make sure they open it the right way up, the gallium in liquid metal eats aluminium.

Shows it before that, m2 rather than the old 2.5" SSD/HDD.

528542.JPG

I missed that. Thanks

Bit off topic here, but reading the twitter comments, the most frequent word I am seeing to describe this is 'thiccc'.

Is this a thing now? If being in mid-30s means I find this kind of thing stupid then I wish I had been this age my entire life.

Bit off topic here, but reading the twitter comments, the most frequent word I am seeing to describe this is 'thiccc'.

Is this a thing now? If being in mid-30s means I find this kind of thing stupid then I wish I had been this age my entire life.

Realising you are old and out of touch with current culture is difficult. I hope you get through this period safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,772 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Is this a thing now?

What does that mean in English?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement