Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Actually, the cartoon series Close Enough on Netflix, from the creators of the Regular Show, does a great job of expressing that feeling of ageing out of coolness that you experience when reading slang like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

shrewdness wrote: »
    Haven't been able to watch yet, but I seen this comment on reddit noting a few things. The first point seems to answer your question.

"Some cool takeaways I found:

• Design was achieved to maintain quietness

• Side Panels are removable without the need of unscrewing

• The same stand is reversable for both horizontal and vertical positions

• There is a dust catcher that can be easily vacuumed

• Uses liquid metal to better dissapate CPU/GPU heat

• WiFi 6 Confirmed!

• One giant double intake fan (air flows from both side vents and is blown out the back)

• UHD drive is incased in metal to reduce disc spin noise

• NVMe SSD bay slot for expandable storage is behind the right Faceplate (covered by a single screw cover)"

Gamers Nexus has done testing on CPU cooling materials in the past and there was very little difference in temperatures when using thermal paste or liquid metal.

I wonder would the liquid metal have a longer life though?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bruh, idek why you throwing shade at your fam when he be thristy for thot. That's not gucci. You should sip tea and be tope.

Can we just ban this guy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Actually, the cartoon series Close Enough on Netflix, from the creators of the Regular Show, does a great job of expressing that feeling of ageing out of coolness that you experience when reading slang like that.

Tbh I was never cool, though I did mostly speak the same language as those around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

PS4 version doesn't look near as bad in this trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Varik wrote: »
    Anyone who ever plans on opening it better make sure they open it the right way up, the gallium in liquid metal eats aluminium.

That's why you can't take mercury thermometers on aluminium planes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Markitron wrote: »
    Bit off topic here, but reading the twitter comments, the most frequent word I am seeing to describe this is 'thiccc'.

Is this a thing now? If being in mid-30s means I find this kind of thing stupid then I wish I had been this age my entire life.

d094c06eb47a4545501089b52c8291ae.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Gamers Nexus has done testing on CPU cooling materials in the past and there was very little difference in temperatures when using thermal paste or liquid metal.

I wonder would the liquid metal have a longer life though?

I think you're confusing using liquid metal between the integrated heat spreader and the die vs using it between the IHS and the heatsink for PC CPUs.

Even using it on the die helps a lot with per core heat, and I'm pretty sure they did a few videos about what they screwed up on their test for that and it was using custom water cooling so that's a serious amount of heat removal capacity. Benchmarks for more modest AIO and air coolers show a larger difference.

Varik wrote: »
    I think you're confusing using liquid metal between the integrated heat spreader and the die vs using it between the IHS and the heatsink for PC CPUs.

Even using it on the die helps a lot with per core heat.

When people talk like that, I feel like this...

ralph.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

xtal191 wrote: »
    PS4 version doesn't look near as bad in this trailer

Yeah its common enough when companies are trying to sell the visual quality between standards but its pretty dishonest.

I remember even when Sky launched Sky HD they very obviously nerfed their related SD versions of those channels to accentuate the difference between both.

It sucks though, and is misleading. As someone else said, the PS4 quality in the comparison video is probably more towards PS3 quality.

• Advertisement

From the teardown it seems like an expensive and convoluted design. So many weird little shapes and bits of plastic. Those non-planar side panels ... expensive. Stand with moving parts, clips and nooks for stowing screws ... expensive. That's an enormous heatsink. Liquid-metal TIM. The fan looks like something off a steam-boat.

The PS4 was an extremely elegant and cost-efficient design, this thing is absolute madness in comparison. The PS4 Pro was noisy because they used multiple fan vendors and some of them were crap (crap bearings etc) ... that's all they needed to fix (!).

I would love to know how much they are losing on the $399 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So when will the new iteration of Home be announced?

Yeah its common enough when companies are trying to sell the visual quality between standards but its pretty dishonest.

I remember even when Sky launched Sky HD they very obviously nerfed their related SD versions of those channels to accentuate the difference between both.

It sucks though, and is misleading. As someone else said, the PS4 quality in the comparison video is probably more towards PS3 quality.

Does it specify that it's PS4 footage in that trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

From the teardown it seems like an expensive and convoluted design. So many weird little shapes and bits of plastic. Those non-planar side panels ... expensive. Stand with moving parts, clips and nooks for stowing screws ... expensive. That's an enormous heatsink. Liquid-metal TIM. The fan looks like something off a steam-boat.

The PS4 was an extremely elegant and cost-efficient design, this thing is absolute madness in comparison. The PS4 Pro was noisy because they used multiple fan vendors and some of them were crap (crap bearings etc) ... that's all they needed to fix (!).

I would love to know how much they are losing on the $399 model.

That’s part of the reason why I like being an early adopter of consoles. I know what I’m buying should actually be much more expensive than what I’m paying for, so seems like better value for money.

I had the same thoughts with the stand as well, a complex design like that would add up to a lot when you’re selling tens of millions of consoles!

The PS4 was an extremely elegant and cost-efficient design, this thing is absolute madness in comparison. The PS4 Pro was noisy because they used multiple fan vendors and some of them were crap (crap bearings etc) ... that's all they needed to fix (!)..

The original PS4 was as loud as the PS4 pro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When people talk like that, I feel like this...

image.gif

FYP

Be nice if it syncs automatically as well

Markitron wrote: »
    The original PS4 was as loud as the PS4 pro
    The thing about PS4 (incl Pro) noise levels is that they vary. Some people have quiet systems, some have noisy systems. I have an extremely quiet pre-slim system. A lot of people have quiet Pro systems.

The thing about PS4 (incl Pro) noise levels is that they vary. Some people have quiet systems, some have noisy systems. I have an extremely quiet pre-slim system. A lot of people have quiet Pro systems.

My OG PS4 was loud AF. I had kinda forgotten how loud they could get then I was in my friends house recently while he played MGSV on one, was just as bad as my Pro during GoW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Everyone has a quiet PS4 until CoD Warzone kicks off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve said it before, but I’m increasingly of the view that people need to be realistic and modest in their expectations for next-gen graphics - and that goes all the way up to an RTX 3080 or whatever. We have gone past the point of genuine massive generational leaps - we’re at the point of incremental upgrades, simply making already impressive games more impressive. Last of Us 2 looks incredible - PS5 games will look better, but we’re far past the point where we’re making visibly exponential leaps. I mean, early last gen games like Gears of War still look pretty good: games have routinely looked great for ages now. The only true revolutionary leap has been VR, which is sorta a platform agnostic development and not a focus of any new hardware.

There are next-gen leaps which are exciting - in particular the SSD, which could be a bit of a game-changer and just prove a big leap in terms of overall performance and usability. Ray-tracing is really cool, but let’s be honest - fancy reflections and light rays are a modest step forward at best.

With that in mind, I hope both Xbox and PlayStation developers really push for performance modes where possible. I think the visual trade-offs for a higher frame rate are well worth it in most cases, and it’s encouraging to see early games offering options in that regard. Prior gen consoles in their initial form just didn’t have the brute force necessary, so happy the new ones do. If we’re looking at better performance on top of a modest visual upgrade (or a more substantial visual boost at the expense of frames per second), that’s honestly precisely what I’d expect from new hardware in an era where many games already look ludicrously good.

All this goes doubly for cross-gen titles. NBA or Assassin’s Creed are unlikely to be next-gen powerhouses this year... next year the game may be stepped up as the current gen slowly gets left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/07/upcoming-trophy-levelling-changes-detailed/

Trophy progress tracking for PS5 was also confirmed on the French PS Blog.

Edit:

Actually, looks like the reference to tracking was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

I can’t believe there’s still no concrete word that PS4 saves will transfer to PS5’s. I know that certain cross-gen saves won’t like Yakuza.

I’m putting off trading-in my Pro because I don’t want to lose 1000’s of hours of saves. Why would they hold out on giving out that info?!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Does it specify that it's PS4 footage in that trailer?

It looks as though a user decided to recreate the ps5 trailer in ps4 2k21. Im sure they don't have any stake to make it look worse in order to make 5 look better. I might stick on nba 2k20 later to compare myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

That teardown video, the thing is half the size of the dude in it! It's bloody huge! Or he's really small :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

.G. wrote: »
    That teardown video, the thing is half the size of the dude in it! It's bloody huge! Or he's really small :D

I instantly had the same thought. I'm no hardware engineer, but I am impressed with the tear-down. Sony are gearing up and showing the stuff we long to see.
    At long last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

Wing126 wrote: »
    https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/07/upcoming-trophy-levelling-changes-detailed/

Trophy progress tracking for PS5 was also confirmed on the French PS Blog.

Edit:

Actually, looks like the reference to tracking was removed.

I really hope the include tracking on the ps5 seems ridiculous that its taken this long for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

My Pro is extremely quiet no matter what I'm playing on it.

Had to turn the tv up sometimes with the slim!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I can’t believe there’s still no concrete word that PS4 saves will transfer to PS5’s. I know that certain cross-gen saves won’t like Yakuza.

I’m putting off trading-in my Pro because I don’t want to lose 1000’s of hours of saves. Why would they hold out on giving out that info?!

I saw a post on reddit that you can transfer saves across. Via the cloud if you've a plus account or with a USB if you don't

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement