Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I think I read on here that places like CEX were allowed to stay open during the first lockdown as they sell office equipment. Not sure if that’s true though...

Smyths Delivery and Click & Collect was unavailable for a few days earlier this week when there was a panic about it being closed.

So I’m not expecting my PS5 to arrive day one, that way I can only be pleasantly surprised

CEX were definitely closed during the first lockdown anyway.

Worst case scenario Smyths will deliver them on the 19th, I am not worried either way. Would just rather not be sat around waiting for it to arrive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Yes and no.
    You can trade in from the list against buying a ps5 game. But the credit you receive is 35euro, so it doesn't quite equate to being half price if your pre ordering one of the ps5 games at 80 euro, eg Demon Souls will cost you 45euro with one game traded in from the list, but Miles Morales will only cost 25euro

Interesting. So for each game on that list, we can get 35 euro credit. So if we trade in 2 games we can get 70 euro credit to use against any game?

Or they limit it to one trade-in against one purchase?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As far as I can see the government needs to have the country in a state to open for the 6 weeks leading up to xmas. If the numbers dropping is too low they will go to level 5. They need retail to be open otherwise there's massive amount of jobs and revenue lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I'm hearing rumblings of a lockdown coming at the end of October for a number of weeks which would tie in with the rumours of an extended midterm break. Hopefully, it's only for two weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Duffers1983

My pre order will be arriving in to Cork from smyths. Ordered for me by my brother but smyths won't allow address changes. I'm in Dublin anyone know any reliable courier services from Cork to dub. If I can't get down there due to restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I never thought about fitting it horizontally in the shelf of my tv unit. I wonder with the new coolant tech would that be a possibility or should it still be out in the open?

I was thinking the same, I'm on the lookout for a new TV Stand (For my new TV ready for PS5 :) ) and thought it had to be vertical only. But I think ill try it horizontally for a while and see how the fans hold up.

I never thought about fitting it horizontally in the shelf of my tv unit. I wonder with the new coolant tech would that be a possibility or should it still be out in the open?
    Once your TV unit is open at the front and back it will be fine. The airflow is front to back.

I'd be more cautious about putting a Series X into my TV unit than a PS5, because if you lay the Series X on it's side the airflow is going left to right.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Once your TV unit is open at the front and back it will be fine. The airflow is front to back.

I'd be more cautious about putting a Series X into my TV unit than a PS5, because if you lay the Series X on it's side the airflow is going left to right.

The shelf has a circular opening for cables and is then like 6 inches from the wall. Dunno if that will suffice.

Yea I was thinking about this, I will get one eventually but I think I might put it in my unit with the top grill facing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Interesting. So for each game on that list, we can get 35 euro credit. So if we trade in 2 games we can get 70 euro credit to use against any game?

Or they limit it to one trade-in against one purchase?

I'm pretty sure you'd be ok with that, haven't tried myself tho tbh

• Advertisement

The shelf has a circular opening for cables and is then like 6 inches from the wall. Dunno if that will suffice.
    I wouldn't put any console in a TV unit with closed back.

I wouldn't put any console in a TV unit with closed back.

Will second this, open back is the only way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Anyone know where I could preorder one or if there will be a second round of pre orders - completely took my eye off the ball and assumed I’d walk into Smyths on launch day and get one - I guess the good value for what u get price is driving sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Support article on backwards compatibility
    https://support.playstation.com/s/article/backward-compatibility?language=en_US&lan=

PS4 only games
    While the majority of PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles, below is a list of PS4 games that are playable on PS4 only. On PlayStation™Store, PS4 games that are not playable on the PS5 console will be marked with ‘Playable on: PS4 only’.

PS4 only games:
    DWVR
    Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
    TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
    Just Deal With It!
    Shadow Complex Remastered
    Robinson: The Journey
    We Sing
    Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
    Shadwen
    Joe's Diner

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That's settled then, ps5 preorder cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

That's settled then, ps5 preorder cancelled.

Yeah not being able to play Joe's Diner is a deal breaker

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just Deal With It!

We regret to inform you that you will no longer be able to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Good to get more clarity on the backwards compatibility issue. I'd say a UI reveal won't be far away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

We regret to inform you that you will no longer be able to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Evilbart wrote: »
    Genuinely curious to know what do you mean by the ps5 is gimped already?

It amazes me what people expect from a €399 plug and play console vs the latest high end PC.

Sorry should have clarified,I meant to say that the memory was gimped,there was a leak that showed the console and ui before the official teardown and it
    showed 664gb of usable memory(for reference https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/j6pvpn/ps5_teardown_may_have_confirmed_russian_leak/)

I just think with how more expensive games are along with how big games are getting this is just abit much to charge for extra storage.
    I guess it wouldn't bother people who don't have multiple games on the go at
    any one time but for someone like myself its abit grating tbh

(https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/10/western_digital_reveals_first_ps5_compatible_ssd the articale with prices for ps5 compatible ssd prices i refered to in my previous answer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Danick wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could preorder one or if there will be a second round of pre orders - completely took my eye off the ball and assumed I’d walk into Smyths on launch day and get one - I guess the good value for what u get price is driving sales.

I'm in the same boat brother :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Me too. Missed the initial round and not a sniff in the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

daheadonu wrote: »
    Sorry should have clarified,I meant to say that the memory was gimped,there was a leak that showed the console and ui before the official teardown and it
    showed 664gb of usable memory(for reference https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/j6pvpn/ps5_teardown_may_have_confirmed_russian_leak/)

I just think with how more expensive games are along with how big games are getting this is just abit much to charge for extra storage.

(https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/10/western_digital_reveals_first_ps5_compatible_ssd the articale with prices for ps5 compatible ssd prices i refered to in my previous answer)

Yeah I get what your sayingðŸ‘. Hopefully by the time we need extra space the storage will have dropped in price. I have 2TB in my PS4 and still find myself deciding which games to delete to make space for new ones almost every week.

daheadonu wrote: »

It's using extremely fast SSD storage, which is expensive. It will benefit games and the system overall. I fully agree that it's not ideal to have under 700GB usable. But that's the trade-off. Eventually prices will come down.

Most people will probably get a cheap USB HDD and use it to store games; move them off the SSD to make room, and then back on if you want to replay. Many already have these with their current consoles.

Synode wrote: »
    Me too. Missed the initial round and not a sniff in the 2nd.

Same here! Hoping for another round of preorders online

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

I fully agree that it's not ideal to have under 700GB usable. But that's the trade-off. Eventually prices will come down.

Game buyers will be looking more at how much a game weighs in at - and hopefully this will put pressure on developers to use the next gen features available - like allowing uninstalling unused portions of the games (eg. multiplayer or champagne mode) and not storing many duplicate copies of assets.

on the pc - I used to always manually delete the video files from my pc games, and the multilanguage audio tracks if I could find them - the games usually don't complain and you get to start the game quicker without the non-skippable intro movies present (developer logos etc)....

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Regarding the free upgrades; will the PS4 disc be required every time to play the PS5 digital version, or is it an one-time deal?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Brian017 wrote: »
    Regarding the free upgrades; will the PS4 disc be required every time to play the PS5 digital version, or is it an one-time deal?

If you upgrade with a disc, it has to be in the PS5 to play the upgraded version.

Otherwise what would be the point, you could then give the disc to a friend to get a free upgrade, who would then give the disc to a friend......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Woohoo.
    I wonder how much a PS5 with PT on it is worth?
    I backed up my game to external drive ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/09/ps4-games-on-ps5-your-top-questions-answered/

When the PlayStation 5 launches this November, more than 99 percent of the 4000+ games available on PS4 will be playable on PS5. We know you have questions about how PS4 games will work on PS5, so here is a quick overview on some common questions we’ve seen from the PlayStation community.

What console generation games are supported with PS5’s backward compatibility feature?

We are focused on the huge catalog of games on PlayStation 4, and we’re pleased that more than 99% of PS4 games will be playable on PS5 on day one. This includes games that have defined the PS4 generation – from critically acclaimed PlayStation exclusives like The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima, to blockbuster hits from our third-party partners.

What is the difference between playing PS4 games on the PS5 Digital Edition console, versus the PS5 console with the Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive?

The gaming experience on both models will be the same. However, how you access the content to play will differ:

PS5 Digital Edition

You will be able to play digital versions of your compatible PS4 games on the PS5 Digital Edition console. These will be compatible PS4 digital games you have already purchased, or plan to purchase, via PlayStation Store on PS4, PS5, web or PlayStation mobile app.
    Since there is no disc drive, you won’t be able to play your PS4 disc-based games on the PS5 Digital Edition.

PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive

You can play digital versions of your compatible PS4 games you downloaded from PlayStation Store on PS4, PS5, web or PlayStation mobile app.
    You can also use physical PS4 game discs.
    When you sign in to PS5 with your account for PlayStation Network, you will automatically see your library of played PS4 content through the menu.

Be sure to keep the PS5 console updated to the latest system software update available, and apply all available game patches to the game.

What is the PS4 game experience like on PS5?

PS4 titles get even better on PS5. Select PS4 titles will see increased loading speeds on the PS5 console, and will also leverage Game Boost, offering improved or more stable frame rates. Some titles with unlocked frame rates or dynamic resolution up to 4K may see higher fidelity. Additionally, PS4 games will also take advantage of some of PS5’s new UX features, but more to come on that later.

Are games from PlayStation VR backward compatible?

Yes, PlayStation VR games are included among the thousands of PS4 games that are playable on PS5. Please note that playing PS VR games on a PS5 console requires a PS VR headset, DualShock 4 wireless controller or PlayStation Move controller(s), and PS Camera (for PS4), which are sold separately from the PS5 console. Also, the PS5 HD Camera is not compatible with PS VR on PS5. You’ll need to use the PS Camera (for PS4), and the PS Camera adaptor (no purchase required), to use PS VR on PS5.

What about PS4 games on PS Now and PS Plus?

Backward compatible PS4 games included in PS Plus or PS Now will run on PS5.

Can I stream PS4 games on PS5?

Yes, Remote Play from PS4 to PS5 and PS Now streaming are supported. The benefit of streaming is that you can save your storage space on PS5. Please note that PS4 games will not leverage PS5’s Game Boost through streaming.

How do PS4 game transfers and game saves work between the two consoles?

You can transfer digital games, game data, and game saves from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using LAN cables, or by connecting wirelessly (WiFi). If you’ve already stored PS4 games and game data in the external USB storage device connected to your PS4, you can bring them over to PS5 with that external USB storage device. And if you are a PS Plus member, you can also sync PS4 game saves on PS5 through cloud storage.

Please note that the ability to transfer game saves between a PS4 version and a PS5 version of the same game is a developer decision, and will vary title by title for cross-generational games.

For Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, when players decide to upgrade from PS4 to PS5 their game saves will transfer.* Sackboy: A Big Adventure also will support game save transfers from PS4 to PS5 in an update that will be delivered shortly after the release of the game.* We’ll share additional details on both games closer to launch.

How will I know which PS4 games aren’t playable?

Games that are only playable on PS4 will be noted on PlayStation Store as playable on “PS4 only.” We have a list of games that are only playable on PS4, along with additional information on backward compatibility here: playstation.com/ps5-backwards-compatibility

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement