Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I'm glad I traded in my stuff before the pre-order shít show went live.

About 2 weeks before I sold my ps4 and got what I wanted for it no hassle.

Also traded in an xbox one s 1tb in cex and got 185 cash for it, looking now they are only giving 115

Only downside is I have nothing to play now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Added the screenshot from the email that I got today from GameStop

200 cash for a PS4 pro 1TB

This is general offer by the looks of things and I can use my membership to get more as well I think I get 10% so about 220 in total to be fair not the worst price to get

Also, let us know how you get on, I’m hoping to bring mine in Tuesday/Wednesday.
    I think I read here their trade-in offers change on Thursdays

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bill36

Any idea PS5 support Dolby vision/Atmos on Streaming apps like Netflix, Disney + and plex. Thinking of selling my nvidia shield pro which I use for streaming if ps5 support Dolby vision/atmos

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Also, let us know how you get on, I’m hoping to bring mine in Tuesday/Wednesday.
    I think I read here their trade-in offers change on Thursdays

Ended up getting a offer on Facebook of 270 !!! Just as I was heading in to trade the PS4 in

Now it’s sold and 270 cash in my pocket for my ps5 ha

Ended up getting a offer on Facebook of 270 !!! Just as I was heading in to trade the PS4 in

Now it’s sold and 270 cash in my pocket for my ps5 ha

Congrats! Will do nicely over the next few months (the amount of good games coming out is unreal)

• Advertisement

Added the screenshot from the email that I got today from GameStop

200 cash for a PS4 pro 1TB

This is general offer by the looks of things and I can use my membership to get more as well I think I get 10% so about 220 in total to be fair not the worst price to get

Raging, I just called my local GS because I was going to go with this. They said it’s only trade-credit of €200 for the PS4 Pro and €200 cash for the switch. Such bad marketing :( congrats again though!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

Raging, I just called my local GS because I was going to go with this. They said it’s only trade-credit of €200 for the PS4 Pro and €200 cash for the switch. Such bad marketing :( congrats again though!

I might end up doing this and just spending the trade-credit on €200 PSN vouchers. Should be good for 3 digital games on release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Shocking wording, to be fair my local store told me never to go by the trade in list on the site just ask in store for a paint out as the in store list is the up to date one.

People moan about GameStop however give GameStop over Cex any day of the week !!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Just seeing talk of compatible nvme drives for the ps5. I assume this is to add to storage, in that it has a free nvme slot, rather than swapping out the existing 825gb (or whatever it is) drive?
    Yes, the existing storage cannot be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

byte wrote: »
    Yes, the existing storage cannot be removed.

Yup - but will the added NvME run at the same fast speed as internal drive? Certainly not the standard consumer ones you can currently buy - they are going to have to be special super high speed 'pro' ones...

see for example: https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-has-a-regular-nvme-ssd-slot-for-expansion-but-it-will-require-sonys-validation/

In that article Sony are saying that the built in storage chips are closer connected to the cpu, with more parallel action going on than a normal pc or whatever -
    And In order to get a bought drive to work at the NvME interface it will have to run at around 7Gigs/s to make up for the losses going the longer slower path through the NvME dock and standards - a drive which just doesn't exist right now.

Basically - to me it looks like its going be an expensive upgrade when available and might not match the performance of the built in hard wired drive chips.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

This is great

ozmo wrote: »
    Yup - but will the added NvME run at the same fast speed as internal drive? Certainly not the standard consumer ones you can currently buy - they are going to have to be special super high speed 'pro' ones...

see for example: https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-has-a-regular-nvme-ssd-slot-for-expansion-but-it-will-require-sonys-validation/

In that article Sony are saying that the built in storage chips are closer connected to the cpu, with more parallel action going on than a normal pc or whatever -
    And In order to get a bought drive to work at the NvME interface it will have to run at around 7Gigs/s to make up for the losses going the longer slower path through the NvME dock and standards - a drive which just doesn't exist right now.

Basically - to me it looks like its going be an expensive upgrade when available and might not match the performance of the built in hard wired drive chips.
    This is correct, you need a very fast NVMe SSD. It needs to exceed the speed of the internal SSD.

Sony will publish an approved list. There might be a whitelist on the console to stop you putting in a slow one. Or perhaps it'll run a speedtest when you first install the SSD.

SSDs of the required performance are just starting to be announced. WD have a likely candidate. They will be very expensive initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

SSDs of the required performance are just starting to be announced. WD have a likely candidate. They will be very expensive initially.

The HDD that came from my PS3 is Seagate so you can imagine they will be a candidate also.

I don't expect Sony to give us just a concise list either, they will release specs that the minimum required by the M.2 connected SSD. Should you meet the minimum specs then it will no doubt work.

Exampe when it comes to Servers, you might get Supermicro website showing you a list of DIMMs that work with their Servers/MBs but its normally a short list an in reality any DIMMs meeting the board spec will work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Need to add 7 days for us

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Need to add 7 days for us

Ta-dah.

https://yourcountdown.to/sony-ps5-world-release-date

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

I'm thinking of cancelling my Smyths preorder as I really want to get an OLED TV this Black Friday (not for the PS5 ironically) and can't afford both at the same time. But I've decided I'll get more happiness out of the OLED tv than the PS5 so that made my mind up. But it's hard to part with my preorder so I'm still deciding what I can do. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

loughrey wrote: »
    I'm thinking of cancelling my Smyths preorder as I really want to get an OLED TV this Black Friday (not for the PS5 ironically) and can't afford both at the same time. But I've decided I'll get more happiness out of the OLED tv than the PS5 so that made my mind up. But it's hard to part with my preorder so I'm still deciding what I can do. :D

Oled on finance from harvey norman

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Oled on finance from harvey norman

That is a bonkers idea. Using finance for a depreciating asset is almost always a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

I would wait till January the newer models will be out and they'll discount the older 2020 models to make room for the 2021 model OLED tv's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

If you do cancel can I take the order by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,772 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Can you transfer a Smyths preorder?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

lertsnim wrote: »
    Can you transfer a Smyths preorder?

Not that I'm aware of but could he wrong. Only way would be to change address and payment method to the other person's unless you're comfortable giving them the account outright. Both have their obvious risks

rob808 wrote: »
    I would wait till January the newer models will be out and they'll discount the older 2020 models to make room for the 2021 model OLED tv's.

Exactly!

Around now is when you see the prices of stuff (especially TVs) go up in price for about a month before Black Friday etc. Then they drop back down for the sales and try to pretend like they’re heavily discounted. Case in point Curry’s website where you can actually see what sale items were originally priced at for just a few weeks/month before.

rob808 wrote: »

There won't be any new models released until the end of next year. LG only released their BX model last month and the CX usually releases in May or June as far as I'm aware. They'll only announce the 2021 models at CES in the new year but they won't be available to buy until mid-2021 for tut higher end models and late 2021 for the BX so for all intents and purposes the X series is basically the only ones we'll see for almost another year, especially for the BX which is what I'm going for as that is released in Europe in September every year as their last OLED release of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

You could prob sell an unopened PS5 at a profit.

Exactly!

Around now is when you see the prices of stuff (especially TVs) go up in price for about a month before Black Friday etc. Then they drop back down for the sales and try to pretend like they’re heavily discounted. Case in point Curry’s website where you can actually see what sale items were originally priced at for just a few weeks/month before.

The 55 inch BX released last month for 1299 pounds last month but will drop to at least 999 pounds for Black Friday. Based on last year, that does be the lowest price the B series will until the end of the following year, with maybe a 50 pound drop below that here or there so Black Friday is really the bottom price for OLEDs as they usually go back up in price before dropping to Black Friday prices on and off before the new models drop. So it's the best time to plunge for one.

My logic is the PS5 won't get any more expensive and asher Christmas games like Cold War should see a drop. I know I got Modern Warfare in January in Smyths for 30 euros, half the price it was in November, so I'd benefit from these price drops in physical games by waiting too.

I'd love to be able, I'm not sure if that's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You could prob sell an unopened PS5 at a profit.

Or they could be awesome and sell it someone here for cost price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Personally I'd keep the pre order. Arrange with some good desperate soul here to meet by Smyths on release day. Pick up the PS5, hand it to the good soul and get the 499 cash from them in return. Email on the receipt when Smyths charge my card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement