Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ozmo wrote: »
    Yup - but will the added NvME run at the same fast speed as internal drive? Certainly not the standard consumer ones you can currently buy - they are going to have to be special super high speed 'pro' ones...

Its going to be much quicker than an external usb hard drive anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just after replacing my 8 year old tv with a Sony XH90 55 inch tv in time for my PS5. Connected my base PS4 to it and the picture quality and HDR is amazing. I've never seen HDR before and to see the beauty of the lighting, weather affects and bloom in Far Cry 5 is a sight to behold. Watched a few movies in 4k on Disney+ and the quality is immense, I've never seen anything higher than 1080p up to now. I definitely recommend anyone buying a new tv for their PS5 to get a tv from Sony's XH90 range as it will support hdmi 2.1, 120hz and variable refresh rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

.G. wrote: »
    Personally I'd keep the pre order. Arrange with some good desperate soul here to meet by Smyths on release day. Pick up the PS5, hand it to the good soul and get the 499 cash from them in return. Email on the receipt when Smyths charge my card.

Offer you 300 as nobody wonts a ps5 and will be next to impossible to sell

Classic adverts/Facebook tire kicker ;)

You will have no issues selling the ps5 to be fair, I had a extra PS4 when they came out and I could have sold 10 of them in the hour I had the PS4 in my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Offer you 300 as nobody wonts a ps5 and will be next to impossible to sell

Classic adverts/Facebook tire kicker ;)

You will have no issues selling the ps5 to be fair, I had a extra PS4 when they came out and I could have sold 10 of them in the hour I had the PS4 in my hands.

Its not me with the keep/sell dilemma, Loughrey has that problem! I merely muse as to how I'd approach it if I decided I didn't want the pre order but couldn't transfer it:)

I had a spare copy of GTA V on release back in the day and could have got rid 100 times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Gonzo wrote: »
    just after replacing my 8 year old tv with a Sony XH90 55 inch tv in time for my PS5. Connected my base PS4 to it and the picture quality and HDR is amazing. I've never seen HDR before and to see the beauty of the lighting, weather affects and bloom in Far Cry 5 is a sight to behold. Watched a few movies in 4k on Disney+ and the quality is immense, I've never seen anything higher than 1080p up to now. I definitely recommend anyone buying a new tv for their PS5 to get a tv from Sony's XH90 range as it will support hdmi 2.1, 120hz and variable refresh rates.

I got the 65 inch XH90 and it's amazing.
    Really want to try something with 120fps now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I got the 65 inch XH90 and it's amazing.
    Really want to try something with 120fps now.

I almost went with the LG Nanoseries but glad I didn't, there were so many reports/comments of poor contrast, very greyed out blacks and average hdr, paid an extra 200 euros for the XH90 and that tv really delivers. Colours are so good and those blacks are rich and inky and the HDR is seriously impressive.

As for the hdmi 2.1, 120fps and VRR we have to wait for the firmware update which will hopefully kick in on the launch day of the PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think people should leave Loughrey do what he wants to do and not put him under any pressure to offload his preorder to someone else. If he wants to cancel it, work away, don't be swayed by people on here looking for your preorder. Too much hassle imo. But that's just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

I think people should leave Loughrey do what he wants to do and not put him under any pressure to offload his preorder to someone else. If he wants to cancel it, work away, don't be swayed by people on here looking for your preorder. Too much hassle imo. But that's just me!

Prob has a few private messages already lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Exactly!

Around now is when you see the prices of stuff (especially TVs) go up in price for about a month before Black Friday etc. Then they drop back down for the sales and try to pretend like they’re heavily discounted. Case in point Curry’s website where you can actually see what sale items were originally priced at for just a few weeks/month before.

Best time to get a new TV, IMO is during a World Cup or European championship.... euro 2020 and the olympics will probably go ahead fine way or another next year so around then there’s usually good sales on

I almost went with the LG Nanoseries but glad I didn't, there were so many reports/comments of poor contrast, very greyed out blacks and average hdr, paid an extra 200 euros for the XH90 and that tv really delivers. Colours are so good and those blacks are rich and inky and the HDR is seriously impressive.

As for the hdmi 2.1, 120fps and VRR we have to wait for the firmware update which will hopefully kick in on the launch day of the PS5.

I read that it's the Android update we need for the hdmi 2.1 support. Android 11 has support for it apparently. Hopefully it comes in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

RGARDINR wrote: »
    That's if deliveries make it now to stores or warehouses for launch day. It's cutting it fine if 4 wks lockdown as they do love to ad on an extra wk or 2 over here. Might mean xbox launch is messed up even more over here

Why would the lockdown have anything to do with warehouse deliveries to stores? Even Level 5 lockdown imposes zero restructions on warehouses stocking stores or courier deliveries to homes as they never did for past restrictsions. The lockdown will have absolutely no impact on stores stocking products. Lockdowns are to do with the public's movement, not businesses stocking their products. Things were a little slow, such as Amazon deliveries, not because of the locdowns, but because staff were falling ill so there was staff shortages for delivery companies. The only issue is for people who are doing store collections, if there is a level 5 but I'm sure Smyths have contingencies, such as switching all orders to home delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

I have the highest end Nanocell and that's actually the reason why I'm getting an OLED TV. I didn't notice the limitations of LCD with my old Philips as that didn't have HDR support, but with HDR being the new standard LCD TVS like the Nanocell and cheaper TVs really show their issues, especially with the crazy backlight bleed that occcurs with HDR content, even in bright scenes, but it's unwatchable in dark scenes, which you notice a lot with Star Wars movies where it's mostly dark scenes. LG Nanocells are probably the worst high priced tvs on the market for HDR content, this IPS panels are absolutely terrible. I'll be relegating my Nanocell to a game TV where I don't have to worry about HUD burn-in from long game sessions. I'd never buy an LCD panel again and that's why the Samsung QLED is not even an option for me as I want to move away from that technology completely for the best contrast and black levels. the one thing I did take away from the Nanocell I have is that LG have the best remote and interface, that alone makes it hard to choose a Sony or Panasonic OLED as I that great interface and magic remote is a major selling point for me, couldn't go back to a regular remote without a pointer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

loughrey wrote: »
    Why would the lockdown have anything to do with warehouse deliveries to stores? Even Level 5 lockdown imposes zero restructions on warehouses stocking stores or courier deliveries to homes as they never did for past restrictsions. The lockdown will have absolutely no impact on stores stocking products. Lockdowns are to do with the public's movement, not businesses stocking their products. Things were a little slow, such as Amazon deliveries, not because of the locdowns, but because staff were falling ill so there was staff shortages for delivery companies. The only issue is for people who are doing store collections, if there is a level 5 but I'm sure Smyths have contingencies, such as switching all orders to home delivery

People panic, have and will panic about Christmas. It happened in the UK Northern areas over the weekend, they panic bought Christmas presents and queued for ages in the shopping centres to get into places.

Happened here with Smyths the day the increased restrictions were discussed. You could argue same thing happens with herd mentality "I mean if everybody is buying toilet roll then I'd better buy some" and a domino effect.

People saw queues in Smyths and joined themselves. I'll leave my click n collectc PS5 as it is until told otherwise. I'll shop online like I do every year for nearly all other stuff.

loughrey wrote: »
    .. the one thing I did take away from the Nanocell I have is that LG have the best remote and interface, that alone makes it hard to choose a Sony or Panasonic OLED as I that great interface and magic remote is a major selling point for me, couldn't go back to a regular remote without a pointer again.

I'm not a fan of the LG interface. One of the main selling points for me on this year's Sony TV's is the native Android OS. It's crazy fast and I was able to retire my Nvidia Shield and tidy up the mess of wires behind my TV cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I ended up getting a Samsung 65" QE65Q80T through a friend for a good deal but I am very impressed with it over my old LG, it does 120 FPS out of the box and image lag is as low as 8.7ms so I am looking forward to seeing how the PS5 will look on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Next TV I get will have to be OLED. Just have not been impressed with LCD since we moved from CRT to LCD, it was a like a step backwards in quality. The manufacturers can shout all they want about made up contrast values and such, it doesn't matter. I've not used a LCD tv where the black levels weren't awful and made dark scenes unwatchable and the colours weren't washed out. It's a pity plasma was so expensive and had so many issues with the size of panels and burn in as it's a much better better tech. OLED is the first time I've seen a flat panel trump CRT in visuals.

I must look into QLED to see if it's any better or a rival to OLED. I remember them being a big deal during my time in research and they were quite promising. I do remember the quantum dots being insanely toxic and bad for the environment! But hey, better viuals!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I must look into QLED to see if it's any better or a rival to OLED. I remember them being a big deal during my time in research and they were quite promising. I do remember the quantum dots being insanely toxic and bad for the environment! But hey, better viuals!

They are releasing QD-OLED TVs next year. A combo of OLED and quantum dot technology.

Also, I have heard good things about mini-led, that has a lot of dimming zones that give good contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Will be in gamestop later today where I reserved my ps5 back in December. Going to ask if I am 100% sure to get one on launch day. The not knowing is v annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Since we're on the topic of TV's. Anybody have any recommendations in the €700/800 range?

I was looking at the LG Nanocell, this one to be exact - https://www.did.ie/lg-49-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-nanocell-smart-tv-black-49nano866na-49nano866na-prd - But y'all don't seem too happy with the LG tv's in this thread.

Can't afford to wait till next year as I have no TV anymore :(

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Next TV I get will have to be OLED. Just have not been impressed with LCD since we moved from CRT to LCD, it was a like a step backwards in quality. The manufacturers can shout all they want about made up contrast values and such, it doesn't matter. I've not used a LCD tv where the black levels weren't awful and made dark scenes unwatchable and the colours weren't washed out. It's a pity plasma was so expensive and had so many issues with the size of panels and burn in as it's a much better better tech. OLED is the first time I've seen a flat panel trump CRT in visuals.

Alot of LCD tv's are poor in terms of black levels, contrast and colour depth but the Sony XH90 series is excellent, I only have the tv about 3 days and the black levels are very good indeed and the colours fantastic. I'm sure OLED/QLED tv's are better again but the price of those tv's are too high for many people's budgets with prices north of 1500 euros.

I spent quite a bit of time researching before I bought the Sony XH90, I almost bought the LG Nanoseries and glad I didn't as the more I looked into peoples comments the more I realized it was a poor choice as there are many reports of poor contrast, poor black levels and washed out colours as well as poor dimming.

The Sony XH90 series and the newer LG Nanocell tv's do support hdmi 2.1, VRR and 120hz on a manageable budget, however there is a big difference in quality between the two seperated by only 200 euros or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

Wing126 wrote: »
    Since we're on the topic of TV's. Anybody have any recommendations in the €700/800 range?

I was looking at the LG Nanocell, this one to be exact - https://www.did.ie/lg-49-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-nanocell-smart-tv-black-49nano866na-49nano866na-prd - But y'all don't seem too happy with the LG tv's in this thread.

Can't afford to wait till next year as I have no TV anymore :(

Cant speak on the nanocell stuff from LG but i've the C9 Oled (CX is this years model) and its outstanding. Best tv i've ever owned and i've owned A LOT through the years ha.

Would you not go for the bigger size

https://www.did.ie/lg-55-4k-ultra-hd-led-nanocell-smart-tv-black-55nano816na-55nano816na-prd

The smart side of LG are always top notch i assumed these had dolby vision support but on the DID site it seems its HDR 10 Pro & HLG Pro. PS5 will most likely not support Dolby Vision unfortunately (although who knows for sure there are so many unknowns still) as for me its the best HDR version by far

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Alot of LCD tv's are poor in terms of black levels, contrast and colour depth but the Sony XH90 series is excellent, I only have the tv about 3 days and the black levels are very good indeed and the colours fantastic. I'm sure OLED/QLED tv's are better again but the price of those tv's are too high for many people's budgets with prices north of 1500 euros.

I spent quite a bit of time researching before I bought the Sony XH90, I almost bought the LG Nanoseries and glad I didn't as the more I looked into peoples comments the more I realized it was a poor choice as there are many reports of poor contrast, poor black levels and washed out colours as well as poor dimming.

The Sony XH90 series and the newer LG Nanocell tv's do support hdmi 2.1, VRR and 120hz, however there is a big difference in quality between the two seperated by only 200 euros or so.

yep just bought the 65" version of the xh90 literally my only issue is that the feet are about 1.5cm too deep for me so had get a centre stand from amazon, great tv though.

does it need a firmware update for 2.1? or is that sorted now?

Cyrus wrote: »
    yep just bought the 65" version of the xh90 literally my only issue is that the feet are about 1.5cm too deep for me so had get a centre stand from amazon, great tv though.

does it need a firmware update for 2.1? or is that sorted now?

I've been hearing the Sony XH90 series needs the Android 11 update in order to get the hdmi 2.1/VRR/120hz, hopefully that will be sorted in November. This is the tv that Sony is recommending people buy for the best PS5 experience so they will be making sure the features will be supported by the time the PS5 launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

jones wrote: »
    Cant speak on the nanocell stuff from LG but i've the C9 Oled (CX is this years model) and its outstanding. Best tv i've ever owned and i've owned A LOT through the years ha.

Would you not go for the bigger size

https://www.did.ie/lg-55-4k-ultra-hd-led-nanocell-smart-tv-black-55nano816na-55nano816na-prd

The smart side of LG are always top notch i assumed these had dolby vision support but on the DID site it seems its HDR 10 Pro & HLG Pro. PS5 will most likely not support Dolby Vision unfortunately (although who knows for sure there are so many unknowns still) as for me its the best HDR version by far

The one you've linked is actually a different series that doesn't have VRR or HDMI 2.1 support, which is why I was looking at the 49" model.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Sony XH90 series and the newer LG Nanocell tv's do support hdmi 2.1, VRR and 120hz on a manageable budget, however there is a big difference in quality between the two seperated by only 200 euros or so.

I don't know. Doesn't matter how high end a LCD screen is I still find them terrible in comparison with a OLED. They can quote contrast values but everyone LCD and LED tv has a backlight by design and there's no getting around it. It's always noticeable to me and ruins dark scenes. I won't be wasting my money on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I've been hearing the Sony XH90 series needs the Android 11 update in order to get the hdmi 2.1/VRR/120hz, hopefully that will be sorted in November. This is the tv that Sony is recommending people buy for the best PS5 experience so they will be making sure the features will be supported by the time the PS5 launches.

great, and ill buy a ps5 and never use it just like i did with the ps4 :rolleyes::P

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I bought the 2019 LG B9 OLED this summer for €1100, and even for the entry model it’s fantastic.

They’re tracked to be even cheaper next year as the 2021 models come in, so if you can get the CX for around €1200 that would be another step up and a great bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

For those who've got a bit more money but not OLED money don't buy the XH95, while the TV is better in a lot of ways it's missing HDMI 2.1 and a few other features for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

Has there been any clarification of the sharing feature that is currently present for the PS4 (set a friends PS4 as your primary and vice versa) being the same for the PS5.

This is one of the best features for the PS4 as it enabled me and a friend to buy games for effectively half price. I really want there to be no change for the PS5.

Also in regard to the TV talk, I bought a LG OLED65B9PLA recently - fab TV, cost me around €1,800. Refresh rate of 120hz with low latency. 2019 model so it is still out there but getting low in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

irishash wrote: »
    Has there been any clarification of the sharing feature that is currently present for the PS4 (set a friends PS4 as your primary and vice versa) being the same for the PS5.

This is one of the best features for the PS4 as it enabled me and a friend to buy games for effectively half price. I really want there to be no change for the PS5.

if sony gets rid of this I wont be picking up my ps5, its a no brainer for a digital only console with your mate and has worked wonders on the xbox one/ ps4 and will hopefully do the same on series X

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement