Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

irishash wrote: »
    Has there been any clarification of the sharing feature that is currently present for the PS4 (set a friends PS4 as your primary and vice versa) being the same for the PS5.

This is one of the best features for the PS4 as it enabled me and a friend to buy games for effectively half price. I really want there to be no change for the PS5.

A leak recently suggested it would be back, I really can't see them getting rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

So went into Stephens green gamestop as where I have ps5 reserved since December. Asked chap there when would I hear about if I have same. Said store still hasn't been given their allocation yet so can't say 100% but that I reserved in December he's more or less sure I will have one. Said they didn't have too many reserved up before lockdown so impression I got was there all OK to get one. Only started to get lots or reservations after lockdown but mostly when Sony announced pre order for launch day. They will ring people about 2 wks before launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Gonzo wrote: »
    just after replacing my 8 year old tv with a Sony XH90 55 inch tv in time for my PS5. Connected my base PS4 to it and the picture quality and HDR is amazing. I've never seen HDR before and to see the beauty of the lighting, weather affects and bloom in Far Cry 5 is a sight to behold. Watched a few movies in 4k on Disney+ and the quality is immense, I've never seen anything higher than 1080p up to now. I definitely recommend anyone buying a new tv for their PS5 to get a tv from Sony's XH90 range as it will support hdmi 2.1, 120hz and variable refresh rates.

Yeah, Dolby Vision HDR is amazing. You can't really see it with Netflix as it's so compressed that it's not real 4K but with Disney Plus and Apple TV you can really see how amazing true HDR 4K is. I was using Dolby Vision with Netflix for months and I found it just okay, but when Apple gave me Apple Plus free with the music subscription I really got to see how Amazing HDR is, now with Disney Plus you're really getting a great experience. I'm keeping up most of the best HDR content for my LG BX OLED so I can really see it pop. Currently using a Nanocell TV. I'll be using the Nanocell for the PS5 when I eventually get it so I don't hang to worry about any burn in issues from the HUDs. Will use it when I really need to play the odd campaign where HDR is big. But I'm mostly a multiplayer gamer.

loughrey wrote: »
    Yeah, Dolby Vision HDR is amazing. You can't really see it with Netflix as it's so compressed that it's not real 4K but with Disney Plus and Apple TV you can really see how amazing true HDR 4K is. I was using Dolby Vision with Netflix for months and I found it just okay, but when Apple gave me Apple Plus free with the music subscription I really got to see how Amazing HDR is.

You should see what it looks like on a 4K Blu-ray, even D+ is compressed compared to a disc.

Markitron wrote: »
    You should see what it looks like on a 4K Blu-ray, even D+ is compressed compared to a disc.

Yeah, I really need to see that. Wet couldn't experience 4K blu-ray with the PS4 but now that the PS5 supports it I can't wait to try some 4K blu-ray. One of the reasons I'll definitely be going with a disk drive PS5 for those Blu-rays. I have seen a 4K blu-ray rental machine inside Supervalu for decent prices so I might start renting from that service so I don't have to spend big money on them.

• Advertisement

recyclops wrote: »
    if sony gets rid of this I wont be picking up my ps5, its a no brainer for a digital only console with your mate and has worked wonders on the xbox one/ ps4 and will hopefully do the same on series X

The sharing feature is literally the only benefit of going digital and dealing with the compromise of not being able to sell on games to stores like Cex. If they didn't have that feature buying digital would be completely pointless and more costly in the long run. I sold my PS4 a year ago as I wanted to experience the Xbox but I bought all my games digitally so I basically can no games to sell with the console which I could have made more money on if I had physical copies of the game.

I bought the 2019 LG B9 OLED this summer for €1100, and even for the entry model it’s fantastic.

They’re tracked to be even cheaper next year as the 2021 models come in, so if you can get the CX for around €1200 that would be another step up and a great bargain.

Yeah, the B9 is a great buy, especially now with the recent introduction of G-Sync support. Back when they were still available at discounted prices back in August we didn't have confirmation on G-Sync but now that it's there it's an even better buy than it was when you got it. I would definitely get the B9 or C9 if the stores still sold them. They even have a few benefits over the new 2020 models such as the full 48gbs 2.1 12 bit support over the 40gbs 10 but support in the 2020 models. The B9 also gets brighter than the BX. But now that they're sold out the X series is the only options.

I'm still debating whether to get the BX or CX and where the extra 200 euros is worth it as some reviewers are saying that there's very little real world difference. There's not many BX and CX video comparisons out there to see those differences. I do really like the premium stand of the CX though. Would love to hear the sound differences of the BX and CX but none of the stores near me have the BX. So will likely go with the BX as I'm not convinced enough to put an extra 200€ down.

I expect to get the BX for 999 pounds as that's what the dropped to last year but I'm hoping they'll drop more this year as the X series were realised for 300 pounds less than the 9 series were in 2019 so that should make them more affordable than last year's black friday but stores likely price gauge to keep them at the 2019 black friday prices. If I can get the CX for 1200 I'll get it, but I'll stick to the BX if it just drops to 1300

I'm not a fan of the LG interface. One of the main selling points for me on this year's Sony TV's is the native Android OS. It's crazy fast and I was able to retire my Nvidia Shield and tidy up the mess of wires behind my TV cabinet.

I do live the Android TV interface as I use the Nvidia shield myself. Can you install Kodi onto that with full addon support?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Might be all TVs as manufacturers do their own thing, but Android TV devices will slowly be upgraded to the new “Google TV” over the next while.

New Chromecast that actually runs media rather than just stream from phone or the few apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Yeah, the B9 is a great buy, especially now with the recent introduction of G-Sync support. Back when they were still available at discounted prices back in August we didn't have confirmation on G-Sync but now that it's there it's an even better buy than it was when you got it. I would definitely get the B9 or C9 if the stores still sold them. They even have a few benefits over the new 2020 models such as the full 48gbs 2.1 12 bit support over the 40gbs 10 but support in the 2020 models. The B9 also gets brighter than the BX. But now that they're sold out the X series is the only options.

I'm still debating whether to get the BX or CX and where the extra 200 euros is worth it as some reviewers are saying that there's very little real world difference. There's not many BX and CX video comparisons out there to see those differences. I do really like the premium stand of the CX though. Would love to hear the sound differences of the BX and CX but none of the stores near me have the BX. So will likely go with the BX as I'm not convinced enough to put an extra 200€ down.

I expect to get the BX for 999 pounds as that's what the dropped to last year but I'm hoping they'll drop more this year as the X series were realised for 300 pounds less than the 9 series were in 2019 so that should make them more affordable than last year's black friday but stores likely price gauge to keep them at the 2019 black friday prices. If I can get the CX for 1200 I'll get it, but I'll stick to the BX if it just drops to 1300

I think the difference was €300 to step up to the CX back in May when I bought mine, and looking back I wish I just bit the bullet for the faster chips and better brightness.

I’m very happy with what I have, but for the sake for a bit more for a TV you’ll have for ages that will have a better UX for longer, be brighter and have some more features, I’d totally make the jump for €200 more if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I see someone has gotten their hands on an Xbox Series X to do an unboxing video. Wonder how long it'll be before we see a PS5 out in the wild?

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/an-xbox-series-x-unboxing-video-surfaces-a-month-out-from-launch/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I see someone has gotten their hands on an Xbox Series X to do an unboxing video. Wonder how long it'll be before we see a PS5 out in the wild?

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/an-xbox-series-x-unboxing-video-surfaces-a-month-out-from-launch/

I'll be getting my hands on the Series X soon so I'll be avoiding unboxing videos. I prefer it to be a mystery. Same when I get a PS5 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Nice packaging but doesn't seem like there's a lot of protection to the console from the top side of the box. Looks like there's a little foam strip at the back of the lid and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Wing126 wrote: »
    Since we're on the topic of TV's. Anybody have any recommendations in the €700/800 range?

I was looking at the LG Nanocell, this one to be exact - https://www.did.ie/lg-49-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-nanocell-smart-tv-black-49nano866na-49nano866na-prd - But y'all don't seem too happy with the LG tv's in this thread.

Can't afford to wait till next year as I have no TV anymore :(

I bought the 55" in littlewoods for €740 plus €25 Delivery
    https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/lg-55nano866-55-inch-ultra-hd-4k-nano-cell-hdr-smart-tv/1600470691.prd?_requestid=448948&Ntt=55nano866

(Havent unboxed yet)

There are also free LG earbuds details on the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Probably a long shot but has anyone ever had success changing a delivery address with Smyths? I got in contact with them about it and they're claiming it's not possible. They very helpfully mentioned I can change by payment details or cancel and order it again though.

Surely there's some way they can change the address?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I do live the Android TV interface as I use the Nvidia shield myself. Can you install Kodi onto that with full addon support?

I've not tried Kodi but there are no restrictions on what you can install. Even sideload apps if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

Probably a long shot but has anyone ever had success changing a delivery address with Smyths? I got in contact with them about it and they're claiming it's not possible. They very helpfully mentioned I can change by payment details or cancel and order it again though.

Surely there's some way they can change the address?
    I think you can with the payment options

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭breeno

Is there any hope for a late arrival to the party to grab a ps5 in time for Christmas or has that ship sailed? Don't have it preordered anywhere.

Also are digital only versions a good option these days? On xbox I've managed to get games a bit cheaper over the years via key websites. Is that as prevalent on PlayStation? Not too worried about lack of trade in value.

Appreciate any input.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Alot of LCD tv's are poor in terms of black levels, contrast and colour depth but the Sony XH90 series is excellent, I only have the tv about 3 days and the black levels are very good indeed and the colours fantastic. I'm sure OLED/QLED tv's are better again but the price of those tv's are too high for many people's budgets with prices north of 1500 euros.

I spent quite a bit of time researching before I bought the Sony XH90, I almost bought the LG Nanoseries and glad I didn't as the more I looked into peoples comments the more I realized it was a poor choice as there are many reports of poor contrast, poor black levels and washed out colours as well as poor dimming.

The Sony XH90 series and the newer LG Nanocell tv's do support hdmi 2.1, VRR and 120hz on a manageable budget, however there is a big difference in quality between the two seperated by only 200 euros or so.

Any info I can see for this TV says the panel is 100hz and the HDMI is 2.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

rob808 wrote: »
    I think you can with the payment options

Gave it a go but it's only letting me change the billing address - shipping address is staying the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

Gave it a go but it's only letting me change the billing address - shipping address is staying the same!
    I have my address abit mess up but the Eir code right which I prsume they use to deliver to since im in the country side.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Out of all the PS5 titles available on launch day, which of them would you say is a "legit next gen" PS5 title, and not just a port over from PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Out of all the PS5 titles available on launch day, which of them would you say is a "legit next gen" PS5 title, and not just a port over from PS4?

Demon’s Souls, which ironically is a remastering of a game from an even older console. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

What is up with the Grand Turismo release date? Being teased for this year but very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

There is none. Next year will be proper next gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Bit off topic but maybe someone can help. With AC Valhalla out soon I'm in the mood to play the Odyssey dlc which I never did before. Have the base game on disc currently. The Season Pass is €40 but the gold edition of the game (which includes game+season pass) is on sale for €30. Could I download just the dlc from that and play using the disc or would it need the full digital download of the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Bit off topic but maybe someone can help. With AC Valhalla out soon I'm in the mood to play the Odyssey dlc which I never did before. Have the base game on disc currently. The Season Pass is €40 but the gold edition of the game (which includes game+season pass) is on sale for €30. Could I download just the dlc from that and play using the disc or would it need the full digital download of the game?

I *think* you should just be able to pick which parts of the DLC you want to download via the store.
    You shouldn’t need to download the base game.

Good luck, it’ll keep you going until launch day anyway, the first and third parts are amazing, probably the best DLC for the series imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

RGARDINR wrote:
    So went into Stephens green gamestop as where I have ps5 reserved since December. Asked chap there when would I hear about if I have same. Said store still hasn't been given their allocation yet so can't say 100% but that I reserved in December he's more or less sure I will have one. Said they didn't have too many reserved up before lockdown so impression I got was there all OK to get one. Only started to get lots or reservations after lockdown but mostly when Sony announced pre order for launch day. They will ring people about 2 wks before launch day.

Mental they still can't give you a concrete answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

breeno wrote: »
    Is there any hope for a late arrival to the party to grab a ps5 in time for Christmas or has that ship sailed? Don't have it preordered anywhere.

Also are digital only versions a good option these days? On xbox I've managed to get games a bit cheaper over the years via key websites. Is that as prevalent on PlayStation? Not too worried about lack of trade in value.

Appreciate any input.

Hey breno, you are out of luck, keep am eye on Tesco's as they might be getting some and maybe check argos on the night before release.

• Advertisement

Definitely Demons Souls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement