Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

The removal of wishlisting is odd tbh. It's a genuinely useful feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The PSP store is closed on device level though, that would render them all useless?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I assume this is aimed at me as I posted the original tweet. As I said, I took it from a thread on reddit where the discussion centred on the revealing of the UI which was rumoured for Thursday even before the BK Tweet was posted. The latter seemed to confirm the earlier rumour for some, and I posted it without reading the whole conversation.

No I was mostly aiming my post at era and the crazies on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Duffers1983

Forbes: PS5 And Xbox Series X/S Pre-Orders: New Stock Coming October 13, When And Where.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2020/10/12/ps5-and-xbox-series-xs-pre-orders-new-stock-coming-october-13-when-and-where/

More coming online in America so hopefully more here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Asked Smyths what will happpen if we are in level 4 or 5 on release. They said should such a situation occur they will thhey will assess and provide updated guidelines for their customers regarding their pre orders.. Seems at least they have some backup plan in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Forbes: PS5 And Xbox Series X/S Pre-Orders: New Stock Coming October 13, When And Where.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2020/10/12/ps5-and-xbox-series-xs-pre-orders-new-stock-coming-october-13-when-and-where/

Antonline is the shop that reported more consoles but only in bundle form. Never heard of them but sounds dodgy. Hopefully there is another round though.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

October 13th was yesterday though, fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Varik wrote: »

Was waiting for this, cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If you have bought a shiny new Sony XH90 tv for your Playstation 5 the firmware update just popped up and it includes the full hdmi 2.1 120hz/120fps compatibility and eARC support along with some other improvements!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I bought a 4k tv about 8weeks ago in prep for PS5 HTF am I suppos to know if it supports HDMI 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Gonzo wrote: »
    If you have bought a shiny new Sony XH90 tv for your Playstation 5 the firmware update just popped up and it includes the full hdmi 2.1 120hz/120fps compatibility and eARC support along with some other improvements!

Slight tangent, but can someone explain to me how a 50/100hz native panel can be firmware updated to 120hz?
    Is it the chip upscaling images, like my Sony TV that's 100hz, but the blurb tells me it's motionflow 1000hz?
    Or is it the panel was always 120hz, limited to 100/50hz? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Parsnips wrote: »
    I bought a 4k tv about 8weeks ago in prep for PS5 HTF am I suppos to know if it supports HDMI 2.1

Google th model number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Slight tangent, but can someone explain to me how a 50/100hz native panel can be firmware updated to 120hz?
    Is it the chip upscaling images, like my Sony TV that's 100hz, but the blurb tells me it's motionflow 1000hz?
    Or is it the panel was always 120hz, limited to 100/50hz? :)

What's the model number?
    It's not about upscaling the image, the TV has to be able to accept 120 frames from the console every second. If the hdmi connector cannot handle the bandwidth (from 40GB per second at 4k) then it can't do 4k 120fps.
    1080p at 120fps might still be possible but you'd need to check your TV model specifications.

I'm on about these XH90's, specifically.
    If they can flicker at 120fps, why'd it have to be enabled with an after production patch?

My own TV's a bit old now, X8509C so I don't think there's any hope.
    Haven't got an update in nearly 2 years :(

The 100/120hz is just pal/ntsc holdover to ensure less distortion with older content and live TV.

The panels support 120hz.

Okay so they aren't 100hz panels that have been software updated to appear to flicker higher, they were always 120hz panels!
    That makes sense then :)

I wonder will there be some level of support for my panel, that will max out at 100 native?

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Okay so they aren't 100hz panels that have been software updated to appear to flicker higher, they were always 120hz panels!
    That makes sense then :)

I wonder will there be some level of support for my panel, that will max out at 100 native?

Your TV seems to do 120hz but only upto 1080p, and 4k @ 60Hz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Well, now is the test folks

Donegal moved to Level 4.... let’s see if smyths in letterkenny remains opened or not

Well, now is the test folks

Donegal moved to Level 4.... let’s see if smyths in letterkenny remains opened or not

If Smyths were to be given special status (which I believe they will) I don't think it would happen in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Markitron wrote: »
    If Smyths were to be given special status (which I believe they will) I don't think it would happen in October.

It’s in place until November 10th so that’s cutting it fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

What's the model number?
    It's not about upscaling the image, the TV has to be able to accept 120 frames from the console every second. If the hdmi connector cannot handle the bandwidth (from 40GB per second at 4k) then it can't do 4k 120fps.
    1080p at 120fps might still be possible but you'd need to check your TV model specifications.

Sorry to interupt, but whats this about? I have a 2/3 year old Sony android 55"4K TV. Will I be able to change it settings for better PS5 output?

sticker wrote: »
    Sorry to interupt, but whats this about? I have a 2/3 year old Sony android 55"4K TV. Will I be able to change it settings for better PS5 output?

You probably won't be able to get 4k/120 fps, but so few games will actually be doing this that I doubt it will matter.

Unfortunately you are gonna have to slum it with 4K/60 fps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭quokula

I expect 120fps is the new stereoscopic 3D. Some enthusiasts will get into it but so few sources will support it that it will get gradually phased out and forgotten about.

Once we get past the cross-gen phase over the next 6 months, developers will start actually using the power of the new hardware for more detailed meshes and textures, more complex lighting models, and more characters on screen etc, making for better looking games, rather than just rendering last-gen graphics twice as fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I honestly can't tell if I am playing a game at 30fps or 60fps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS is incredible and IMO unmistakable. I’ve been playing some of the Mario collection on Switch and jumping between 60FPS smoothness in Odyssey and 30FPS in Sunshine is night and day. The difference in playability and responsiveness is huge. (I should note I think 30fps can be fine and acceptable for some games as long as the performance and frame pacing and timing are rock solid - e.g TLOU2 - but 60fps is always preferred).

I have a 144hz monitor for my pc and it’s smooth as anything. But there are definitely diminishing returns as you move up the frame rates, unless you’re super twitchy and obsessed with perfect performance for competitive games. There’s a general sense of extra smoothness at higher frame rates, just nowhere near as pronounced as the 30 to 60 jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

quokula wrote: »
    ...... Once we get past the cross-gen phase over the next 6 months, developers will start actually using the power of the new hardware for more detailed meshes and textures, more complex lighting models, and more characters on screen etc, making for better looking games, rather than just rendering last-gen graphics twice as fast.

That's actually a good point: This is one of the core differences between PC gamers and Console gamers (Let's not get into which is best, folks. This thread has been refreshingly devoid of fanboyism :) )

PC gamers are constantly searching for higher and higher FPS. I mean this makes sense at pro/hardcore level where 2 or 3 frames can make all the difference on a twitch-reaction shooter like COD or whatever. Especially as all PCs are not equal (Outside of pro-gaming of course).

But for your console gamer (Like me), with everyone playing on the same hardware, this FPS edge is not really a factor in PvP games. There is a compromise here: As mentioned above, do you want last-gen graphics (Maybe not even fully maxed out) running at 120 FPS or do you want next gen running at max 60FPS.

Speaking for me personally, I am not overly gone on extreme framerate. I find it similar to the over-processing that I always turn off on a new TV. But then, I am old and do not have the reaction time for PvP gaming so don't do it.

So I have a year-old 50inch Samsung 4K (I actually had a 55 in previously but thought the 50 want neater) that I am very happy with and will stick with that.

I certainly don't need/want to spend money on a 120FPS TV for Spiderman: Miles Morales

Edit: Regarding 30-60? Yeah, I do notice that but yeah, I'd rather have a 50 inch 4K TV running @ 60FPS that I can also use for everything else than a 32 inch 144FPS monitor. I'm just not that hardcore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Try moving between playing Overwatch on the Switch and on a PS4 Pro, then you'll notice it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Markitron wrote: »
    You probably won't be able to get 4k/120 fps, but so few games will actually be doing this that I doubt it will matter.

Unfortunately you are gonna have to slum it with 4K/60 fps

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

fixXxer wrote: »
    Try moving between playing Overwatch on the Switch and on a PS4 Pro, then you'll notice it :D

I play mainly Apex Legends on One X and not even sure what fps it is. Looks like I wont have to worry about it soon enough as mostly everything should be 60fps on PS5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement