Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Okay so they aren't 100hz panels that have been software updated to appear to flicker higher, they were always 120hz panels!
    That makes sense then :)

I wonder will there be some level of support for my panel, that will max out at 100 native?

Your TV needs to have HDMI 2.1 ports to support 4k at 120hz. Very few TVs have Hdmi 2.1, only a few very high end TVs from 2019 and 2020. The average 4K 120hz TV on the market only supports native 4K 120hz (i.e. from the TV's YouTube app for example) but only 4K at 60hz for external devices connected to the Hdmi as most TVs only have 2.0 ports. Your TV will just be like any bog standard 4K TV out there with 4K at 60hz for the PS5. It's not a big deal anyway, it will be a long time before 120hz 4K becomes standard in games and even at that it's not going to be that noticeable to the casual gamer. It definitely wouldn't be something I'd be rushing out to buy a new TV for. I happen to be getting an OLED tv this year with Hdmi 2.1 support for the PS5 but I won't be using it for the PS5 when I get it, it'll be for my movie from, the PS5 will be connected to my Hdmi 2.0 TV, that's how negligible it will be for most people. So don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Having just watched the DF video on the new Dirt rally game, it seems that games are going to seriously have to down-res to reach 120 fps , anything above 1080p will have to downsample anyway.

My TV can manage 1440p at 120 Hz, and that will do me absolutely fine, tbh I am only expecting arcadey games like Stardust and Resogun at that refresh rate. If 60 FPS and a dynamic res that approaches 4K is the standard this gen, I would consider that a huge upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I honestly can't tell if I am playing a game at 30fps or 60fps

:pac: .... it’s definitely one of the most noticeable changes in a game

old-grandma-needs-to-go-to-specsavers_o_2802921.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭quokula

That's actually a good point: This is one of the core differences between PC gamers and Console gamers (Let's not get into which is best, folks. This thread has been refreshingly devoid of fanboyism :) )

PC gamers are constantly searching for higher and higher FPS. I mean this makes sense at pro/hardcore level where 2 or 3 frames can make all the difference on a twitch-reaction shooter like COD or whatever. Especially as all PCs are not equal (Outside of pro-gaming of course).

But for your console gamer (Like me), with everyone playing on the same hardware, this FPS edge is not really a factor in PvP games. There is a compromise here: As mentioned above, do you want last-gen graphics (Maybe not even fully maxed out) running at 120 FPS or do you want next gen running at max 60FPS.

Speaking for me personally, I am not overly gone on extreme framerate. I find it similar to the over-processing that I always turn off on a new TV. But then, I am old and do not have the reaction time for PvP gaming so don't do it.

So I have a year-old 50inch Samsung 4K (I actually had a 55 in previously but thought the 50 want neater) that I am very happy with and will stick with that.

I certainly don't need/want to spend money on a 120FPS TV for Spiderman: Miles Morales

Edit: Regarding 30-60? Yeah, I do notice that but yeah, I'd rather have a 50 inch 4K TV running @ 60FPS that I can also use for everything else than a 32 inch 144FPS monitor. I'm just not that hardcore :D

Agree on this. The FPS arms race on PC is also a result of the fact that most devs, certainly AAA devs, will be making games that work on XBone and PS4 as a base because that's where the money is. Even PC-only devs will be using engines, tools and industry standards that have evolved around those consoles.

There are various level of detail and graphical settings of course, but there gets to a point where the games just aren't throwing around enough polygons to challenge top spec GPUs and the only benefit of going ever higher spec is ever higher framerate or resolution.

When the new consoles become the base I expect a step change so that those GPUs start getting challenged more. Of course there will be new GPUs by then that will continue to push framerates up for those that want them.

I still expect 60fps to be the maximum for people playing on consoles on large TVs on their sofa. And 30fps will still be around for a long time to come. the PS4 could have rendered PS3 level graphics at 120fps, the PS3 could have rendered PS2 level graphics at 120fps, but that's just not how the industry works. People will be wowed by games running at 30fps with exceptional image quality and lots of action on screen, and that means better screenshots and marketing material and more sales than targeting 120fps, which many people can barely even perceive, even if they have the TV hardware for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I bought this TV yesterday for €610 on Prime. Usually €699. It seems to be a great TV with lots of high specs features for decent enough money.

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/hisense-u7-4k-lcd-led-tv-review.17094?cmpredirect=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Well, now is the test folks

Donegal moved to Level 4.... let’s see if smyths in letterkenny remains opened or not

Here's hoping, I have mine booked for pickup

• Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Likewise. See ye there, looking in the window. :)
    Last time they were closed they still allowed click and collect so hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Markitron wrote: »
    Having just watched the DF video on the new Dirt rally game, it seems that games are going to seriously have to down-res to reach 120 fps , anything above 1080p will have to downsample anyway.

My TV can manage 1440p at 120 Hz, and that will do me absolutely fine, tbh I am only expecting arcadey games like Stardust and Resogun at that refresh rate. If 60 FPS and a dynamic res that approaches 4K is the standard this gen, I would consider that a huge upgrade.

My TV is the same 1440p 120 Hz, I think running at 1440p with super sampling for the games that can actually do 4K 120 will be good. I do reckon that as the generation goes on we will see less 120 Hz games. Do we know if Sony supports 1440p? I know Series X should do, as they support that on the One X, but PS4 Pro doesn't support 1440p from what I remember (maybe I am wrong on that).

I do hope at minimum we see developers aim for 60 fps in games for this gen, even if we have to drop resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mmerton365

Front page of Smiths website confirms that Letterkenny remains open for C&C!

wes wrote: »
    My TV is the same 1440p 120 Hz, I think running at 1440p with super sampling for the games that can actually do 4K 120 will be good. I do reckon that as the generation goes on we will see less 120 Hz games. Do we know if Sony supports 1440p? I know Series X should do, as they support that on the One X, but PS4 Pro doesn't support 1440p from what I remember (maybe I am wrong on that).

I do hope at minimum we see developers aim for 60 fps in games for this gen, even if we have to drop resolution.

Yea 1440p isn't a problem, that's actually the res that many games run at even on the Pro, most notably The Last of Us 2. Even if 1440p isn't selectable, the system will technically be outputting full 4K to the TV with a native 1440p image.

And yea, 120 fps and 1440p res with super-sampling will be very nice.
    mmerton365 wrote: »

Nice, we can end the speculation so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

loughrey wrote: »
    Your TV needs to have HDMI 2.1 ports to support 4k at 120hz. Very few TVs have Hdmi 2.1, only a few very high end TVs from 2019 and 2020. The average 4K 120hz TV on the market only supports native 4K 120hz (i.e. from the TV's YouTube app for example) but only 4K at 60hz for external devices connected to the Hdmi as most TVs only have 2.0 ports. Your TV will just be like any bog standard 4K TV out there with 4K at 60hz for the PS5. It's not a big deal anyway, it will be a long time before 120hz 4K becomes standard in games and even at that it's not going to be that noticeable to the casual gamer. It definitely wouldn't be something I'd be rushing out to buy a new TV for. I happen to be getting an OLED tv this year with Hdmi 2.1 support for the PS5 but I won't be using it for the PS5 when I get it, it'll be for my movie from, the PS5 will be connected to my Hdmi 2.0 TV, that's how negligible it will be for most people. So don't worry about it.

I guess my question was, for HDMI 2.0 compliant TVs, that have a transfer rate of 18Gbps or 4K 60hz maximum, will the console itself take advantage of CPU smoothing in the TV's to take content that's 30/60 hertz and double or quadruple the interloped frames to appear to be 120 hertz? :)

I.e. can the consoles make the TV's do some of the heavy lifting?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

:pac: .... it’s definitely one of the most noticeable changes in a game

I've literally just looked at a youtube vid with a side-by-side comparison of 30fps vs 60fps and I can barely notice the difference. I must be old so! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I've literally just looked at a youtube vid with a side-by-side comparison of 30fps vs 60fps and I can barely notice the difference. I must be old so! :eek:

and what fps was the YouTube video at? if it was 60fps you won't notice the 30fps being shoddy, if it was 30fps the 60fps will be lost and if they were crazy film people and produced the video at 24fps then all bets are off.

this is the sort of stuff you can really only notice from direct sources, a video of it won't do. 30fps is easy enough to spot if you look closely but 30fps on a 60hz screen each frame just stays for an extra refresh cycle so can be hard to see.

the best way to see this change is go into a store that has an iPad Pro (120hz) and a regular iPad (60hz)*, get them to the home screen and swipe really quickly between the two. you'll notice the refresh of the Pro is miles better.

* Used iPad's here as it's an easy setup to see in store as they usually have them side by side, Android tablets are rarely set up as well in stores i.e. a 60hz right beside a high refresh rate one).

The video might have been playing at 30fps on your device.

30fps vs 60fps is extremely noticeable when playing, both the look of the game and more importantly the feel.

Are you 100% sure 60 fps was enabled in the video quality? I am not one of those framerate nazis that think 30 fps is an abomination to be killed with fire, but the difference between 30 and 60 fps should be noticeable to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Markitron wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure 60 fps was enabled in the video quality? I am not one of those framerate nazis that think 30 fps is an abomination to be killed with fire, but the difference between 30 and 60 fps should be noticeable to anyone.

Yeah, was looking at this at 1080p60 on a 24" monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zquClG3j9so

I can sort of see a difference, I think...

Yeah, was looking at this at 1080p60 on a 24" monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zquClG3j9so

I can sort of see a difference, I think...

I honestly can't fathom how you couldn't see the clear difference there, actually playing it would be night and day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Digital foundry write-up on the UI:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-a-first-look-at-the-ps5-user-interface

As teasing as it is, I think this slow-drip feed of info actually makes the launch lead-up more interesting. Whether that was Sony’s strategy all-along or a panicked one, I couldn’t say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Digital foundry write-up on the UI:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-a-first-look-at-the-ps5-user-interface

As teasing as it is, I think this slow-drip feed of info actually makes the launch lead-up more interesting. Whether that was Sony’s strategy all-along or a panicked one, I couldn’t say :pac:

Take XMB

Nuke it from orbit

Already your UI is 200% better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

In the first paragraph:
    Sony may well have pulled this out of the bag with today's new State of Play, concentrating on the much-anticipated PlayStation 5 user interface

All I'm thinking is, how the hell did I miss a new state of play?!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

[YOUUBE]7TBPrYJDoDE[/YOUTUBE]

Some nice features in there, but that main home screen looks awful I think. Looks pretty quick though, which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

mmerton365 wrote:

Woohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So it gives an estimate of how long to complete something? I'm guessing a lot will depend on devs again.
    I wonder if they include actual playtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭quokula

Nice to finally see some actual proper forward looking innovations, rather than all the boring videos of old games running at a higher framerate that had been the focus up to now in a lot of next gen coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Looks way too busy. Hoping that’s just how I first felt about the PS4 UI and I’ve just forgotten...

The speed alone will be welcome though. No more waiting around for a button press you inputted 10 seconds ago to show on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So it gives an estimate of how long to complete something? I'm guessing a lot will depend on devs again.
    I wonder if they include actual playtime?

Like will Demon's Souls Completion ETA just say "Git Good"? Some really nice little functions like the insta game tips on the quest but looks like devs will have extra work to fill these things out.

The built in mic on controller along with voice dictation to send a message is so usefull, hate writing messages on PS4.

The cards thing looks like it will get messy, will really need to see an actual user with multiple games/apps to see that functioning properly.

The PSN store built into the homepage is very clever.

Overall looks good but there was a lot of fluff he had to scroll through. Hope you can customize to get rid of half that ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If they retained the same UI as the PS4 and completely eradicated the menu lag, that would've done for me tbh.

An awful lot going on in those menus, would need to get hands on with it to make a proper judgment but it looks like a pain to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

only watched a few minutes of it, I'd like to play around with it myself before casting judgement. there's an awful lot of cruft that I ignore on the ps4 ui that would be a selling point to Sony and what they want people to use. this ps5 ui looks like it has a similar amount of cruft but hopefully it'll be as easy to ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Not too sure what to make of it yet other than the fact it seems really fast, which is great of course. I'll wait to see what it's like myself when I get the console. It's a user interface so it'll obviously look different for everyone. The amount of cards etc. does look very busy, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't some sort of customisation possible there.

There was alot of Sackboy activities on show here, I wonder if you could just have 3/4 for 3/4 different games and be able to switch in and out of them with speed, similar to the Xbox quick resume. We seen a switch between a couple of games here but I wonder what the limit is with that.

The level of interaction with friends online seems pretty cool also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement