Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

shrewdness wrote: »
    Not too sure what to make of it yet other than the fact it seems really fast, which is great of course. I'll wait to see what it's like myself when I get the console. It's a user interface so it'll obviously look different for everyone. The amount of cards etc. does look very busy, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't some sort of customisation possible there.

There was alot of Sackboy activities on show here, I wonder if you could just have 3/4 for 3/4 different games and be able to switch in and out of them with speed, similar to the Xbox quick resume. We seen a switch between a couple of games here but I wonder what the limit is with that.

The level of interaction with friends online seems pretty cool also.

Someone else mentioned on the Xbox thread that quick resume won't be something you can avail of if you're using disks. That's not something I even considered before reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Someone else mentioned on the Xbox thread that quick resume won't be something you can avail of if you're using disks. That's not something I even considered before reading it.

Jesus yeah didn't even think of that to be honest. I pre-ordered a disk version but the majority of the games I got in the last few years would be digital, I just like to have the option of trading in games or getting them 2nd hand on the cheap.

If there's a quick resume type feature I'd probably only use it between 2/3 games, like if I was playing a single player game but having the option to jump into a multiplayer game like COD/FIFA if friends were online.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Not totally enamoured by the UI, Echo the other sentiments here just seems very busy. The responsiveness seems pretty good though, not a fan of the card things.

Seems geared towards twitch et al, which I have no interest in really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

martyos121 wrote: »
    If they retained the same UI as the PS4 and completely eradicated the menu lag, that would've done for me tbh.

An awful lot going on in those menus, would need to get hands on with it to make a proper judgment but it looks like a pain to navigate.

less is more... as they say

could be worse, didn't see just dance :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

shrewdness wrote: »
    Jesus yeah didn't even think of that to be honest. I pre-ordered a disk version but the majority of the games I got in the last few years would be digital, I just like to have the option of trading in games or getting them 2nd hand on the cheap.

If there's a quick resume type feature I'd probably only use it between 2/3 games, like if I was playing a single player game but having the option to jump into a multiplayer game like COD/FIFA if friends were online.

I thought the games are installed from disk onto the machine and then it is played from ssd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I have both PS5 and Xbox pre ordered and I am mainly an xbox player but I must admit i'm loving what sony showed today, the tips and quests to complete is a brilliant feature especially for the younger ones and the people who don't have as much time for gaming. The built in Mic is a great feature too. Loving any new innovation something which MS has disappointed me with. The series x feels like when I went from a Xbox One to Xbox One X, nothing new but everything will look a bit nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The UI just isn't the same without the Singstar icon. I think all PS UIs need it. :)

padair wrote: »
    I thought the games are installed from disk onto the machine and then it is played from ssd

You need the disk in the console to activate the license.

You need the disk in the console to activate the license.

Yes but the game is played from the ssd, so the quick resume feature works for disk games

padair wrote: »
    Yes but the game is played from the ssd, so the quick resume feature works for disk games

Not if you have your games on disk because you'll have to switch disks to verify each license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There was a "Customise" button in the bottom right, so it should be possible to make it all look less busy.

Not if you have your games on disk because you'll have to switch disks to verify each license.
    True

All I want is to turn it on and see my games in a grid or list. I don't really care about the rest of it, i'm not interested in notifications or sharing or trophies or "what's new" or any of that.

What they're showing there looks awful (to me) however I will reserve judgement because it's possible that I can just disable or ignore a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Not sure how I feel about it, excited to get my hands on it either way. I'll learn to put up with it one way or the other haha.

A lot of features I'll never use, like the party stuff, the news features and the media section. The game guides sounds like a great idea though, I could definitely make use of that.

I hope they have trophy tracking as rumoured/leaked a couple weeks ago, but I feel like they would have shown that off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Wing126 wrote: »
    I hope they have trophy tracking as rumoured/leaked a couple weeks ago, but I feel like they would have shown that off.

On the part with the cards where they were showing activities etc, there were a couple of trophy cards which showed a % progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I actually enjoyed that, loves a good UI me... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Only had a quick look but I'll echo others, looks very busy. As long as I can put all that stuff into a folder to be completely ignored, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

200.gif

Huh. Yeah, never thought of that. But these days, with such large day-one downloads, disks are practically just license keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I don’t agree that it looks busy, the main screen which is what we are mostly going to be looking at, looks very clean. That whole cards stuff seems to be an in game menu, I hardly ever do anything other than a standard pause.

Nothing will ever touch the XMB though. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

I wanted one thing and one thing only- a fast UI- and it looks like I got my wish so I'm happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Quick resume will work with disks on XBSX, according to Jeff Grubbs on his latest video previewing the console he was given, as games are loaded onto your drive. So I take it you just swap discs and the game will jump straight back in....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Quick resume will work with disks on XBSX, according to Jeff Grubbs on his latest video previewing the console he was given, as games are loaded onto your drive. So I take it you just swap discs and the game will jump straight back in....?

It depends on what you mean by quick resume really. You can’t play a disc-based game without the disc. The game will load just as fast as it is installed on the SSD but it will load quickly into a screen telling you to insert the disc

Not very quick getting your disk out of the box, ejecting the current disk, popping in the new disk and jumping back in.

Sounds like a pain in the arse to me but I'm a lazy f**ker :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder how fast Lego City Undercover will load on PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭BenK

Since when did UI matter so much with consoles!? It's about how the games perform and look at the end of the day. Personally couldn't really care less about the UI!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Yeah, it's basically a save state. Quick resume even works from a complete power cycle. Even if you're not switching games though and you turn your console off after a session, boot it back up the next day to play the same game and you will be straight in, where you left off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Markitron wrote: »
    Nothing will ever touch the XMB though. Nothing.

I must say, I do like the XMB (stupid name aside), especially the folders. I have friends who don't use folders, and just have a long ass XMB to scroll through...psychos.
    BenK wrote: »
    Since when did UI matter so much with consoles!? It's about how the games perform and look at the end of the day. Personally couldn't really care less about the UI!

Since it appears that it's no longer just something to show your games on, it's now socially enabled. So the UI is very important. Aside from having to be fast, it also has to have the options to hide all that shyte that I have zero interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Will themes carry over from PS4?

BenK wrote: »

Tbh, even uninstalling games is painful on the ps4. You need an intuitive interface that's snappy and easy to navigate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tbh, even uninstalling games is painful on the ps4. You need an intuitive interface that's snappy and easy to navigate.

You press the options button on a game and select delete.

Okay maybe if you're talking about deleting older games by having to go into the library, find the game and stuff, fair enough, but I still wouldn't say it's in any way painful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement