Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

The possibility of a click-and-collect service for some non-essential stores is being examined though as the Government aims to maintain as much economic activity as possible.

From RTÉ News

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Paul MCM wrote: »
    The possibility of a click-and-collect service for some non-essential stores is being examined though as the Government aims to maintain as much economic activity as possible.

From RTÉ News

For the amount of places that still have 0 online presence, hopefully this is a kick to modernize.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Panic starts - all those scalpers must be thanking the gods now with demand increasing further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

From RTÉ News

My store is more than 5km from me....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

My store is more than 5km from me....

Snap. Mine is in another county.

• Advertisement

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Snap. Mine is in another county.

The closest Smyths to me is just over 5km away but is located right beside a large chemist which is a essential service. If Smyths is open for click and collect I can pop into the chemist for something and pick up my PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Folks, I'd imagine if Smyths are forced to close (I doubt they will as Santy still has to come) that at the very worst they will just send everything out for delivery via DPD etc.

I think they will be considered essential this close to xmas though.

My only question will be if I pre ordered in store, and only paid a €25 deposit, how will they deliver to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

The closest Smyths to me is just over 5km away but is located right beside a large chemist which is a essential service. If Smyths is open for click and collect I can pop into the chemist for something and pick up my PS5.

"Is that Demon Soul's I see sticking out from under your box of strepsils there?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Hope that's not us that pre ordered to collect fecked over. My ore order store is about 28km from me and in a different county.

I expect they'll have to post it out to me for release day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Smyths are fine to C&C anyway

any other retail outlet that operates an online or other remote system of ordering goods for purposes of collection at the retail outlet

https://www.gov.ie/en/....ie/essentialretail/

• Advertisement

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Hope that's not us that pre ordered to collect fecked over. My ore order store is about 28km from me and in a different county.

Smyths have everyone’s contact details so I am sure they will contact people who are unable to collect and just change the order to home delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Just join a GAA team, sure you can travel the country then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

The government is allowing click and collect stores to operate so long as it doesn't involve people being able to enter the stores to browse. No different from restaurants doing takeaways. The idea is stopping people being indoors in public businesses. With click and collect you don't even have to enter the store, they can take it to your car as you'll be automatically charged to your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

loughrey wrote: »
    The government is allowing click and collect stores to operate so long as it doesn't involve people being able to enter the stores to browse.

How is that any use to people who live more than 5km from the store they’ve ordered from though? That’s the point being made here, and one I’d like clarification on myself from Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

martyos121 wrote: »
    How is that any use to people who live more than 5km from the store they’ve ordered from though? That’s the point being made here, and one I’d like clarification on myself from Smyths.

They allow you to travel to your nearest supermarket regardless of the distance. What I did was just tell the guards I was travelling to work, they just let you go ahead without much issue. Never had an issue travelling all over the country in the last lockdown. Easy just to make up something, then take another road home going back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

martyos121 wrote: »

Government have confirmed you’re allowed travel outside the 5k for purposes of retail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

loughrey wrote: »
    They allow you to travel to your nearest supermarket regardless of the distance. What I did was just tell the guards I was travelling to work, they just let you go ahead without much issue. Never had an issue travelling all over the country in the last lockdown. Easy just to make up something, then take another road home going back

They may be more strict this time around with the fines being brought in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

I know I'll be probably shot for this.... But is there any chance we could just keep this thread for PS5 related news.
    I know all this lockdown news is indirectly related.
    But couldn't we just keep all the lockdown, pre order talk in the PS5 Pre-Order thread.

It's more or less the same discussion in both threads. It's just a suggestion;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Government have confirmed you’re allowed travel outside the 5k for purposes of retail

Not that I don't believe you but where did you see this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Wing126 wrote: »
    They may be more strict this time around with the fines being brought in...

They can't and won't be.

We picked up our shopping 13km away during the first lockdown as it was the better stocked Tesco than the one near us. Never a complaint from the Gardai.

Further, many people have specific chemists they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭jj880

Penalties for non-essential travel comin in by the sound of this:

https://www.thejournal.ie/new-covid-19-restrictions-in-ireland-5237758-Oct2020/
    >>People can travel within 5km of their home for exercise
    >>There will be a penalty for movement outside 5km, with exemptions to this for essential work and purposes
    >>The Taoiseach said tonight that legislation giving effect to such penalties would come before cabinet tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

New digital foundry episode on thermals and acoustics of the XSX. I know they are MS bias a bit but it looks like it's pretty quiet and I think the design is great.

https://youtu.be/aQ22I9WGIvw

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

New digital foundry episode on thermals and acoustics of the XSX. I know they are MS bias a bit but it looks like it's pretty quiet and I think the design is great.

https://youtu.be/aQ22I9WGIvw

How do you reckon DF are Microsoft biased? I've never heard that leveled at them and have always found them fair in thier assessment of consoles, PC tech, games etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

TitianGerm wrote: »
    How do you reckon DF are Microsoft biased? I've never heard that leveled at them and have always found them fair in thier assessment of consoles, PC tech, games etc.

Yea they have always been pretty even handed, they are excited by the tech not any console war nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

TitianGerm wrote: »

I could be wrong and apologies if so. I think they have cosied up to MS a bit since they go to reveal to One X specs. Maybe its my own bias at the fact they have had so much access to MS recently and Sony have not given them any hardware to test yet

They can't and won't be.

We picked up our shopping 13km away during the first lockdown as it was the better stocked Tesco than the one near us. Never a complaint from the Gardai.

Further, many people have specific chemists they use.
    Agree with this. People have specific shops they use and not necessarily the ones beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I could be wrong and apologies if so. I think they have cosied up to MS a bit since they go to reveal to One X specs. Maybe its my own bias at the fact they have had so much access to MS recently and Sony have not given them any hardware to test yet

I think you are wrong in this one.

They had the same access to the last gen consoles as far as I'm aware. The difference this time seems to be that Sony haven't given units to the normal tech guys anywhere and are holding information back. Digital Foundry even mentioned they were due to go to Sony and be shown the PS5 but Covid shut that down.

Digital Foundry have been more than complementary of nearly all Sony stuff last gen (I didn't watch them during the 360/PS3 days so can't comment on then).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah i think its more MS are happy/ confident with the machine they built and are letting them into the wild to get as much exposure from people who know the ins and outs.

Where as sony want a controlled environment with "influencers" who im fairly sure would get behind anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Microsoft have been very liberal with access to the hardware from an early stage, Sony have been the exact opposite. It is just two different approaches, DF are just pouring over whatever they have been allowed to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement