Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Markitron wrote: »
    Yea they have always been pretty even handed, they are excited by the tech not any console war nonsense.

I remember Richard Leadbetter done a video on the potential cost of the upcoming consoles a few months ago. I can't remember the exact one. It was a hypothetical opinion piece of his. He was talking through his ass.
    The video was shot after he had been wined and dined courtesy of to XSX reveal. He posited his opinion that because the XSX was a more traditional concept (SSD) the costs were likely to be in the $5-600 range, but because Sony went with a custom SSD solution, it should be expected to cost in the region of $6-700 range.
    It was pure fantasy speculation that he had no right to speculate on. It was scare mongering. I lost a lot of respect for him in particular after that video. A lot of consumers seem to trust them, I don't. I just treat most of their stuff as opinion pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

I remember Richard Leadbetter done a video on the potential cost of the upcoming consoles a few months ago. I can't remember the exact one. It was a hypothetical opinion piece of his. He was talking through his ass.
    The video was shot after he had been wined and dined courtesy of to XSX reveal. He posited his opinion that because the XSX was a more traditional concept (SSD) the costs were likely to be in the $5-600 range, but because Sony went with a custom SSD solution, it should be expected to cost in the region of $6-700 range.
    It was pure fantasy speculation that he had no right to speculate on. It was scare mongering. I lost a lot of respect for him in particular after that video. A lot of consumers seem to trust them, I don't. I just treat most of their stuff as opinion pieces.

An off-the-shelf part is going to cost less than a bespoke one, and it's a fair guess that the additional cost will factor into the retail price. We'll never know if the PS5 would have launched at the same or more or less than the XSX if Sony hadn't already known the price of Microsoft's console first.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What on earth are you talking about?
    Why are they not allowed to speculate? Plenty of people, everywhere, speculated on cost of the consoles. Just have a look on here. In fact, at any point in the last year did you post a speculative price for any of the console variants?

What it sounds like is that you are, yourself, biased and don't like hearing things that don't conform to your view of the world. as evidenced as simply as the way you have worded this post - wined and dined indeed.

Turns out the guy was wrong, but of course he is allowed to use his knowledge of the sector to speculate on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I said last week in this thread that the consoles will be €400 and €500. I also said that there would be a lot of potential price leaks coming out in the next few weeks. This is starting to transpire for the PS and XbX/S.

With the rumors of a huge event by MS in July with a potential price announcement, I am now thinking that the consoles are actually gonna be cheaper. I think Sony want MS to go with the €500 on the XbX and they will drop to €450 for the F and €350 for the D.
    Remember the article on Bloomberg reporting the manufacturing cost of $450 per unit. Sony are in the ballpark with that. I think MS have spent quite a lot more on speccing out the XbX with the more raw power components.

Sony are storming way ahead of MS in the interest from consumers for the next gen. Viewer indicators of PS vs XB on Youtube are a clear indicator of this. Sony are jebating MS. Lets see who commits first. I think it will be MS as they are under pressure to make this a success. Sony can afford to wait in the tall grass.

How dare you speculate on the price of a console? You have no right to be saying things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

He speculated on the cost when no one knew what the cost of the consoles was going to be. He was wrong. Life went on. I don't know what the problem is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

He speculated on the cost when no one knew what the cost of the consoles was going to be. He was wrong. Life went on. I don't know what the problem is.

You have clearly been wined and dined by Microsoft, you shameless shill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 was originally planed to be in the region of $6-700, its something we'll probably never know

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

xtal191 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 was originally planed to be in the region of $6-700, its something we'll probably never know

I remember a lot of articles coming out after XBS prices were announced that Sony were reducing their prices as they were originally ‘considerably’ higher.

And it’s not like Sony never released a console for $600 before...

I don't think they were ever gonna go higher than 500

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

xtal191 wrote: »

Honestly had they released it for €600 I still think the PS5 would have still been hard to get on release, in 2020 people ain't afraid about spending money to stave off boredom.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Honestly had they released it for €600 I still think the PS5 would have still been hard to get on release, in 2020 people ain't afraid about spending money to stave off boredom.

It probably would have sold out day one alright, but I reckon it would be widely available within a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Not that I don't believe you but where did you see this?

It's not on gov.ie, I don't see how someone can collect a PS5 as an essential service.

Edit: I see it here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/60ecc-essential-retail-outlets-for-level-4/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/essentialretail/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Think we're good. Sorry I don't know how to imbed tweets but they tweeted 30 mins ago on the AskSmythsToys account that they plan on staying open for click and collect orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    It's not on gov.ie, I don't see how someone can collect a PS5 as an essential service.

Edit: I see it here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/60ecc-essential-retail-outlets-for-level-4/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/essentialretail/

The government aren't daft enough to put Santy in lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The government aren't daft enough to put Santy in lockdown.

They are putting the measures in place now so that they can open up the shops for the whole of December. There's talk of fines being brought in as well so I don't think you can scoot out to get your PS5 and use 'won't someone think of the childers' as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Smyths gets to stay open as a click & collect business it seems but with the domestic travel restrictions it seems to only benefit anyone that has a Smyths inside their 5km from what I gather? If so I'm screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Smyths gets to stay open as a click & collect business it seems but with the domestic travel restrictions it seems to only benefit anyone that has a Smyths inside their 5km from what I gather? If so I'm screwed

less than 1km to my local one

if anyone wants to mind thiers for safe keeping let me know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Farrelk

You're allowed travel further than 5km for care of animals. The dog will be 'going to the vets' on launch day so

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Farrelk wrote: »
    You're allowed travel further than 5km for care of animals. The dog will be 'going to the vets' on launch day so

I have this black and white cat who likes to wander through my property so any advice on how to catch the cat on launch day so he can travel with me. Need to ensure the cat looks poorly as well in order to argue he needs a Vet. Advice needed on this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Small tool box in the boot for the job your doing on launch day

• Advertisement

Banner on their website now confirming click and collect will be open throughout the lockdown period.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Banner on their website now confirming click and collect will be open throughout the lockdown period.

All I needed, thanks man!!

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    All I needed, thanks man!!

All I needed too, hopefully all will go ok, im 8.5 k from my local store but will take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Are they doing delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

All I needed too, hopefully all will go ok, im 8.5 k from my local store but will take the chance.

Same, I'm 7.5 but I'm sure there won't be an issue.

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Are they doing delivery?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I wouldn’t worry about the 5KM restriction. If you get stopped just say you are going to a shop or chemist nearby. If you feel bad about lying then just go to a shop or chemist near by on the way or way back.

Markitron wrote: »
    I don't think they were ever gonna go higher than 500
    Correct. Jim Ryan said they always intended to offer a system at $399. Having something at that price was fixed on day 1 and all other decisions were made around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Might be time to cash in some of the essential worker goodwill I've supposedly built up :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Same, I'm 7.5 but I'm sure there won't be an issue.

I'm 25km from mine, about 4 towns over. However, my place of work is in the same town, and I have a letter from work deeming me to be essential staff, so should be good!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement