Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Any word on when we might get Series X style previews? I know no sites have got one, that we're aware of.
    I don't expect reviews until the week of the 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Any word on when we might get Series X style previews? I know no sites have got one, that we're aware of.
    I don't expect reviews until the week of the 12th.

Much like everything else, I expect them to just appear out of nowhere in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

" PT won’t be backwards compatible with the PS5 "
    https://www.gamesradar.com/pt-wont-be-backwards-compatible-with-the-ps5/

But it only states that it can't be downloaded to the PS5... I have my copy backed up. I'll let ye all know on launch lads ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

" PT won’t be backwards compatible with the PS5 "
    https://www.gamesradar.com/pt-wont-be-backwards-compatible-with-the-ps5/

But it only states that it can't be downloaded to the PS5... I have my copy backed up. I'll let ye all know on launch lads ;)

Some are saying the bc titles all need to download a patch, which PT won't be able to.

Some are saying the bc titles all need to download a patch, which PT won't be able to.

I highly doubt this is the case, sure there are plenty of games by developers that don't even exist anymore etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

Markitron wrote: »
    I highly doubt this is the case, sure there are plenty of games by developers that don't even exist anymore etc.

They'd still be up on the store though, so I guess if there's a patch you access it that way?

They'd still be up on the store though, so I guess if there's a patch you access it that way?

If PT was to work then I imagine it would involve a data transfer from PS4 to PS5 via external storage. Its not available on the store anymore. After its on the PS5 it would either work or not work on a system level. This is just speculation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ps4 for xmas

Just off the phone to gamestop. They said they will be posting ps5. Any chance of them closing up shop for good and pocketing pre-order money???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just off the phone to gamestop. They said they will be posting ps5. Any chance of them closing up shop for good and pocketing pre-order money???

Possible sure, but very unlikely. By going into lockdown, a number of expenses drop and this is hardly a time for them to quiet, Xmas shopping combined with new consoles means they are probably getting more profitable now than they have been in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

The question then would be who makes the patch?

I don't think games will need a patch to work via BC. I think they'll just work and if the dev wants to make better use of the PS5 hardware, THEN they'd need a patch.

RedXIV wrote: »
    Possible sure, but very unlikely. By going into lockdown, a number of expenses drop and this is hardly a time for them to quiet, Xmas shopping combined with new consoles means they are probably getting more profitable now than they have been in years.

Don't they make a lot of money out of people impulse buying the increasing amount of tat in their stores?
    Wing126 wrote: »
    The question then would be who makes the patch?

I don't think games will need a patch to work via BC. I think they'll just work and if the dev wants to make better use of the PS5 hardware, THEN they'd need a patch.

Exactly, they either work natively or they don't for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well, at least GameStop now have an extra two weeks or so to train staff* for the inevitably colourful customer interactions when it transpires a deposit doesn’t guarantee a console on launch day :pac:

*(spare a thought for the social media managers, however)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also, to suggest Digital Foundry are in any way biased is ludicrous - they’re neutral and even-handed and fair to the point of being inadvertently public service broadcasting compliant!

I can only speculate about why Sony are more reluctant to get their machine into journalists’ hands - we are talking about a Japanese company which may have a different corporate culture on these matters compared to an American one like Microsoft. Sony’s marketing plans may have been scuppered by the pandemic, and Microsoft may simply have been way ahead in finalising their build.

But one thing I would suggest is that Microsoft are very much going hell for leather on their excellent backwards compatibility - that means journalists already have a vast supply of (improved) games available to test. They actually don’t have any new first party games to show off ahead of launch. Whereas Sony is more traditional and likely wants their expensive (€10 more expensive, to be precise :pac:) first-party games front and centres. Hence you’re likely bashing up against development deadlines. No question backwards compatibility is an afterthought for the PS5 compared to utterly central to the Xbox Series.

Just speculation, of course, but it’s clear at this stage that Microsoft are being admirably open about their machine from an early stage, whereas Sony are playing things close to their chest (probably a mixture of hype-building and pandemic-related improvisation).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Not sure if I believe that Covid is affecting Sony. Reading a lot of reports that the SDK tools for the Series X/S are not even finished whereas the PS5 is done and easy to use (comparable to the PS4).
    Also Sony are launching with an admirable selection of launch games whereas MS have nothing to show for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Xbox has Game Pass, which means for just €10 you can play a pile of great games for the first month. It's great value, and just a very different pitch to what PS is doing.

I'm not hugely pushed about either console to be honest but I would lean towards the Xbox for Game Pass. I think it's a good strategy and I hope it works out for MS, they really dropped the ball badly with the Xbox One in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Homelander wrote: »
    Xbox has Game Pass, which means for just €10 you can play a pile of great games for the first month. It's great value, and just a very different pitch to what PS is doing.

I'm not hugely pushed about either console to be honest but I would lean towards the Xbox for Game Pass. I think it's a good strategy and I hope it works out for MS, they really dropped the ball badly with the Xbox One in general.

Do what I do - Game Pass on PC and buy Sony consoles. That why I can play everything. (except switch but I got one of them too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Also, to suggest Digital Foundry are in any way biased is ludicrous - they’re neutral and even-handed and fair to the point of being inadvertently public service broadcasting compliant!

I can only speculate about why Sony are more reluctant to get their machine into journalists’ hands - we are talking about a Japanese company which may have a different corporate culture on these matters compared to an American one like Microsoft. Sony’s marketing plans may have been scuppered by the pandemic, and Microsoft may simply have been way ahead in finalising their build.

But one thing I would suggest is that Microsoft are very much going hell for leather on their excellent backwards compatibility - that means journalists already have a vast supply of (improved) games available to test. They actually don’t have any new first party games to show off ahead of launch. Whereas Sony is more traditional and likely wants their expensive (€10 more expensive, to be precise :pac:) first-party games front and centres. Hence you’re likely bashing up against development deadlines. No question backwards compatibility is an afterthought for the PS5 compared to utterly central to the Xbox Series.

Just speculation, of course, but it’s clear at this stage that Microsoft are being admirably open about their machine from an early stage, whereas Sony are playing things close to their chest (probably a mixture of hype-building and pandemic-related improvisation).

A lot of this is true, but it's worth pointing out that Microsoft have actually embargoed journalists from talking about a lot of things (Digital Foundry said as much in their latest article) so all you get right now is backwards compatibility, suspend and resume, and talk about thermals and the like, which is obviously their strong suit.

There's been nothing at all on actual real new features or new games, which is what most end users will actually want from their console going forward. Sony on the other hand have actually been releasing lots of gameplay footage of brand new games running on the console, in addition to putting them in the hands of youtubers (albeit in a controlled environment), and have showcased a bunch of new functionality in their front end too. All of this has kind of gone past the games press as they've released it directly on their blog and youtube channel, and the likes of Eurogamer have covered it less as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Still looks better for MS, in my opinion, that they're confident in their system to allow journalists to use it at home. A system,that they've said isn't the final product.
    Because of that we've seen how BC works on current gen games, which is something a lot of people are interested in.
    Embargoes are common in gaming. Means everyone is on equal footing. If they told everyone to say what everything they want now, there could be less focus on some areas, such as BC.

Sony are releasing what they want in a very controlled way. Do you think they'll be critical of themselves? Even if they showed how current gen games look and play on it, that could just be them picking what looks good.

And this is part of why sites aren't covering it as much. Do you want to report what everyone else is reporting or would you prefer to have something on your hands that you could experience differently than another site?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Not sure if I believe that Covid is affecting Sony. Reading a lot of reports that the SDK tools for the Series X/S are not even finished whereas the PS5 is done and easy to use (comparable to the PS4).
    Also Sony are launching with an admirable selection of launch games whereas MS have nothing to show for themselves.

What new games are actually going to be available day one though?

Demon Souls - remake of an older niche game. Won't appeal to most.
    Miles Morales - Basically an extended DLC.
    Sack Boy - looks great fun.
    Bugsnax - can play on PC.
    Godfall - haven't looked into this one.

Am I missing any?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

>Pre-Orders scheduled to release during the lockdown period will be released and available for collection on their due date. If you can't collect, you can have someone else collect on your behalf once they have your permission.

>We will hold your pre-order for two days after the lockdown period ends, if you are unable to travel to our stores due to the 5km rule. Customers do not need to notify us if they are unable to collect their pre-order, we will automatically hold it for two days after the lockdown period ends.

Smyths has this on their website now. They suggest they will but it seems unlikely that a shop would hold a console for you until December 2nd though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

TitianGerm wrote: »

Am I missing any?

A lot better than the PS4 and PS3 launch lineup in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Plus the PS+ Games Collection, some crazy good games there, even though it's mainly people who are changing from MS to Sony this gen will get the best benefit, but by Jesus I'm looking forward to playing God of War again on the PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

TitianGerm wrote: »

Am I missing any?

Astro's Playroom.

Whilst Miles Morales isn't a "full game", to say its basically extended DLC is underselling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Sony are doing the exact same thing as the PS4. Just because they’re not handing consoles out to journalists as early as possible doesn’t mean they’re trying to hide something or they don’t want anyone to be critical of their console. They simply don’t have to, because it won’t make any difference to short term sales.

MS have been very open with their consoles, good for them, but it automatically doesn’t make it a better console. Also they have really nothing else to show right now.

The PS5 launch line-up isn’t great, and I don’t think any of the first-party games will be big massive blockbusters ala Breath of the Wild. But they’ve got dedicated first-party games built for next-gen, and some fancy cross-gen titles which will be fun to compare and contrast. We - and by that I mean us nerds reading this thread ;) - will get some hint of how the console operates. No-one remembers Killzone Whatever or Ryze, but they were good tech demos. We seem likely to get at least a few similarly lavish games that (at least in the case of Astrobot, Demon’s Souls and possibly the dark horse of Sackboy) will give everyone something to play and analyse. Miles Morales will look great too, I’m sure, albeit hobbled at least somewhat by being cross-gen - ditto every third-party title, I reckon.

When it comes to Series X it’ll just be the same cross-platform games as PS5 and some very fancy backwards compatibility (which we’ve already had a good look at - and it looks great!). This is not criticising Microsoft, as I admire their strategy and think they’re playing a different game than Sony at this stage. Very good chance the Series X will have a slight edge on some of the cross platform titles. But it’s fair to say the closest thing to a true next-gen showcase across either console will probably be Demon’s Souls, even if it is a niche remake.

Although, as I’ve said before, modest expectations are the order of the day when it comes to what to expect graphically. This is an incremental graphical leap of a generation, like most generations now. It’ll hopefully finally be a gen focused on really good performance, or at least offer the option to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Astroboy is the only game I am excited to play and while its a mere tech demo , after playing the PSVR game Astroboy became one of my fav 3d platformers of all time , rivalling Nintendo platform Mascots Mario, Kirby and Donkeykong.

for the rest I love Demon Souls but I cant justify paying 80 euros for a remake of a game I already own and played multiple times .

Spiderman Miles Morales probably would be the only Launch game I would pay for but I am not excited about .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ultimately it’s a very strange console launch. Both consoles out within a week with very little new games and thousands of old games available. The very first game I’ll be playing on it will be a current gen game.

It’s going to take a year to 18 months to really get into this generation. By which time we’ll probably be getting the first rumours of the mid-gen hardware updates!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement