Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I do still think Miles Morales is too expensive. It's not glorified DLC but I believe it's the equivalent of Lost Legacy, which released for about €20+ cheaper than a full game if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I do still think Miles Morales is too expensive. It's not glorified DLC but I believe it's the equivalent of Lost Legacy, which released for about €20+ cheaper than a full game if I remember correctly.

It was between Miles Morales and Assassins Creed as a launch game for me along with FIFA. Really enjoyed Spider-Man on PS4 but will go with Assassins Creed and maybe pick up MM next year

It's a weak launch line-up on both systems, worse on the Series X but not much better on PS5. This is as expected. Modern games just take so long to make.

Getting a next-gen exclusive ready for launch is both logistically difficult (in terms of how early you have to start, not having a dev kit etc) but also financially risky because there's such a small install base at launch. The first few months are critical for most games.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The PS5 launch line-up isn’t great, and I don’t think any of the first-party games will be big massive blockbusters ala Breath of the Wild. But they’ve got dedicated first-party games built for next-gen, and some fancy cross-gen titles which will be fun to compare and contrast. We - and by that I mean us nerds reading this thread ;) - will get some hint of how the console operates. No-one remembers Killzone Whatever or Ryze, but they were good tech demos. We seem likely to get at least a few similarly lavish games that (at least in the case of Astrobot, Demon’s Souls and possibly the dark horse of Sackboy) will give everyone something to play and analyse. Miles Morales will look great too, I’m sure, albeit hobbled at least somewhat by being cross-gen - ditto every third-party title, I reckon.

When it comes to Series X it’ll just be the same cross-platform games as PS5 and some very fancy backwards compatibility (which we’ve already had a good look at - and it looks great!). This is not criticising Microsoft, as I admire their strategy and think they’re playing a different game than Sony at this stage. Very good chance the Series X will have a slight edge on some of the cross platform titles. But it’s fair to say the closest thing to a true next-gen showcase across either console will probably be Demon’s Souls, even if it is a niche remake.

Although, as I’ve said before, modest expectations are the order of the day when it comes to what to expect graphically. This is an incremental graphical leap of a generation, like most generations now. It’ll hopefully finally be a gen focused on really good performance, or at least offer the option to do so.

Medium is the game that's caught my the eye as the most interesting looking game launching this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Paul MCM wrote: »
    It was between Miles Morales and Assassins Creed as a launch game for me along with FIFA. Really enjoyed Spider-Man on PS4 but will go with Assassins Creed and maybe pick up MM next year

It was announced today that the first part of the expansion pass to AC will be set in Ireland and it looks stunning.

Looking forward to remembering the lollipop-stick crannóg I wasted the summer of 3rd class on when raiding the proverbial out of them in-game :)

• Advertisement

1 feature from the PS3 I would like them to bring back is playing music/trailer when selecting a game. I remember having Ico installed on the PS3 for a while before playing it. While waiting for something to download or messing around on my phone, I would highlight Ico and just let the music play. Or Burnout Paradise.

This song

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

1 feature from the PS3 I would like them to bring back is playing music/trailer when selecting a game. I remember having Ico installed on the PS3 for a while before playing it. While waiting for something to download or messing around on my phone, I would highlight Ico and just let the music play. Or Burnout Paradise.

This song

That's actually in the PS4 as well, you just have to press down on the game's icon and it will bring you to the game's hub area where the music plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

if your a netural who is buying one console then series X is the best choice really, i suppose most here are either 1) not neutral or 2) going to buy both.

its the downside of a digital library/ acheivements etc people get really stuck to them ( myself included)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

This song

Ha, you just made me rewatch the ending of Ico, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

recyclops wrote: »
    if your a netural who is buying one console then series X is the best choice really, i suppose most here are either 1) not neutral or 2) going to buy both.

its the downside of a digital library/ acheivements etc people get really stuck to them ( myself included)

I'd disagree. I'm definitely not neutral, but Series X wins hands down when it comes to value because of Gamepass. No question.

But even with Gamepass, even with buying Bethesda... Playstation still has more of the games I actually want to play. I want Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon, whatever Naughty Dog do next. I haven't even played Ghost of Tsushima and only played a little of Days Gone, but they still appeal to me far more than any of the Microsoft exclusives, and I'm happy to pay for those games outside of a subscription model.

I think as always, it comes down to which console has the games you want to play, which consoles do your friends have, and which is the better value for money. Even looking at it as neutrally as possible, Playstation wins 2/3 of those for me.

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    That's actually in the PS4 as well, you just have to press down on the game's icon and it will bring you to the game's hub area where the music plays.

Yeah, and I prefer that too, as when you're just scrolling through your library on PS3 and getting hit with one-second bursts of the theme each time you linger on a selection a little too long it can be jarring. At least by pressing down on PS4 you can choose to listen to the music when you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Gamepass depends on how much time you have to play I guess. Anything thats passed my by at this stage is gone. There may be 100's of older games to play but I don't have the time any more for that.

Penn wrote: »
    I'd disagree. I'm definitely not neutral, but Series X wins hands down when it comes to value because of Gamepass. No question.

But even with Gamepass, even with buying Bethesda... Playstation still has more of the games I actually want to play. I want Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon, whatever Naughty Dog do next. I haven't even played Ghost of Tsushima and only played a little of Days Gone, but they still appeal to me far more than any of the Microsoft exclusives, and I'm happy to pay for those games outside of a subscription model.

I think as always, it comes down to which console has the games you want to play, which consoles do your friends have, and which is the better value for money. Even looking at it as neutrally as possible, Playstation wins 2/3 of those for me.

Pretty much where I am at, I will buy the Series X at some point next year for game pass but I am getting the PS5 first cos of the games, both at launch and in future. Gamepass is great but it isn't gonna have God of War Ragnarok or Horizon 2. Honestly the only Xbox game I am interested in that will actually be out within 2 years is Hellblade.
    Penn wrote: »
    Yeah, and I prefer that too, as when you're just scrolling through your library on PS3 and getting hit with one-second bursts of the theme each time you linger on a selection a little too long it can be jarring. At least by pressing down on PS4 you can choose to listen to the music when you want.

Yea same, the only issue with the PS4 implementation is the slight delay you sometimes get.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

This song

That’s actually back. I think I saw it on Reddit that the menu theme leaked for Miles Morales and Demon’s Souls.

Hoping it works like the PS3 and not the PS4 where you have to navigate down into the game’s menu hub thing

Never knew it was on the PS4. I guess all I saw below the icon was all the community stuff so no need to go down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I'd rather scroll in peace and quiet without music or video coming in. The way Netflix is set up now where it starts playing a trailer in the background if you stay on a title for more than a second melts my head.

I'd rather scroll in peace and quiet without music or video coming in. The way Netflix is set up now where it starts playing a trailer in the background if you stay on a title for more than a second melts my head.

I am fairly certain you can turn that off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

recyclops wrote: »

Disagree, the X has no games that you can't get on the PS5 worth having imo. Spider-Man is the decider for me.

Never knew it was on the PS4. I guess all I saw below the icon was all the community stuff so no need to go down

Yea it also gives you a nice splash screen. Its not available in the odd game here and there though.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Disagree, the X has no games that you can't get on the PS5 worth having imo. Spider-Man is the decider for me.

I do love the Gears of War series, and it's the only franchise/series I'd love to have on PS. I'd also be excited to see what some of the studios MS have bought might come out with in the coming years as I think there is potential there for them to start coming out with some great exclusives that would push me to buy a Series X/S.

But yeah as it stands, there's just not enough there. The value of Gamepass is great, but when offset against the price of console/peripherals on top of that too, there's not enough in Gamepass that would make me want to switch or buy it as a second console at this stage. Not when I haven't even tapped into PS Now which, while not as good, still has a fairly decent library of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

You know you can turn that off....

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/2102

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

How long do console trade in deals usually last for a new console release? I assume the value of the trade in gets worse as the months go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

SMC92Ian wrote: »

its the beauty of choice imo the xbox ( talking about platform not consoles as people get finnicky about it) has a wealth of originals that I myself loved.

I will get my ps5 and play the sony originals and enjoy them but the majority of my gaming will be on the xbox as between the 2 originals Sony pump out a year I will get most of my value out of gamepass.

which goes back to the original statement that if your neutral and not connected to either device the Series X is better for all round general gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Ah, brilliant. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Did not know that, most useful thing I've read on the internet in years! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Markitron wrote: »
    I am fairly certain you can turn that off

Amazing, did not know this!

HOW???

See above
    RonaVirus wrote: »
    How long do console trade in deals usually last for a new console release? I assume the value of the trade in gets worse as the months go by.

IIRC its not long, I doubt they will still be offering it by the time the PS5 is regularly in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Has anyone heard anything further from Smyth's?

I have a pre order email from them Thu, 17 Sep, 00:02

Pre-order date: 17/09/2020
    Estimated availability date: 19 November 2020

But nothing else so far.

Everyone else in the same boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

But nothing else so far.

Theve sent an email out about it, was posted in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Farrelk

But nothing else so far.

I got an email this morning. I'm down for click and collect, they just said they will be open for c&c, and if you can't go you can nominate someone to collect it for you provided they have valid ID and proof of your pre order. No mention of swapping to home delivery

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement