Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Wonder what the quality will be like compared to the ones pre installed!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

For 40 quid it better be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Took a chance on the Matte Black 👌🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They've surely no way of measuring and knowing will they fit or not without a unit already. I'm going to wait, will probably go for a black cover in the future, but will prefer to pay Aliexpress prices(and quality). After all it's just plastic.

But the website is so fancy!?!
    Berty wrote: »
    They've surely no way of measuring and knowing will they fit or not without a unit already. I'm going to wait, will probably go for a black cover in the future, but will prefer to pay Aliexpress prices(and quality). After all it's just plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gotta say I vastly prefer the actual design to anything being sold on that website. If anything it just shows why Sony went with the white and black design that they did - just fits better with the unusual form factor of the console, and there’s a nice contrast between the inner and outer layers of the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Now frosted plexiglass might be cool as it might possibly catch the lights from the consoles longer LED and cast a colour across the plexiglass.

Or somebody will make a case with LED strips on it which connects then into the USB port.

Sony have really opened up a large 3rd party market here for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Anyone going to add an expansion SSD to their shiny new PS5? I see Sony have not confirmed which ones will be supported yet and they are going to be dear but i think i'll definitely need one at some point soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

They'll definitely be needed or, at the very least, desired, but it would be advisable to wait until official word, even though the new Samsung and WD (they even claim PS5 compatibility) are out and about. Can OEM work, does it need the heatsink etc ? Still a couple of questions to answer.
    Roughly going to cost the same as the Seagate solution for the Series X/S, at least until competition heats up.

I believe the vast majority of PS4 backward compatibile games won’t take advantage of the internal speed of the onboard SSD and that a regular external sata 2.5 inch SSD to store your back catalogue is the way to go. You could pick up a decent 1TB and bridge cable for under €100 or even a 500GB for around €60.

I reckon only the more recent titles that will receive a PS5 boost patch would benefit by being stored on the internal SSD.

Digital Foundry did a decent comparison albeit with Xbox Series X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

McDermotX wrote: »
    They'll definitely be needed or, at the very least, desired, but it would be advisable to wait until official word, even though the new Samsung and WD (they even claim PS5 compatibility) are out and about. Can OEM work, does it need the heatsink etc ? Still a couple of questions to answer.
    Roughly going to cost the same as the Seagate solution for the Series X/S, at least until competition heats up.

Yeah the heatsink is a big one. I'll definitely be trying to get at least 1tb given the inevitable increase of size of games the stands space won't suffice for long unless you're deleting games constantly off your system

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye.....TBH....I spent a few hours recently copying stuff to the external drives from the One X and PS4 Pro from their internals.
    Just plan to run the legacy stuff from the externals and keep the internal free for next gen stuff.
    Some leeway for the Series X as I have the expansion to come with the console, but those internals are going to fill up sooner than a lot of people think and I hate playing musical installs. So an expansion will be down the line for the PS5.

My plan is external SSD for the 1st couple of years when I’ll still be playing PS4 titles and eventually an internal nvme SSD when prices come down or a Pro edition comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If network connection is fast enough, might be okay downloading and installing as needed to free up space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I will be using my old external HDs as pack mules for the time being. If I see good SSD deal, I will upgrade my external to an SSD. I am going to wait for super fast ssd drive prices to drop, as they are too expensive to justify right now. I hope with both Microsoft and Sony going the SSD route, we will see SSD prices come down much faster as right now even the older SSDs are kind of pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Would you not just spray the panel black?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Would you not just spray the panel black?

You'd be destroying trade-in value when you want to get your PS5 Pro down the line.

The first on the market will surely be ****e. Rushed out, probably awful quality plastic. It's not easy getting that shape correct so they'll build it from soft bendy ****e to make up for manufacturing errors. And that means those little friction-fit nubs that hold it in place will break off in the socket if you ever try and remove it.

I wouldn't buy one of these at all because it's more pieces of pointless plastic that will end up in a landfill. But if you must buy one, wait a few months so they have time to refine them and you can compare different brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

You'd be destroying trade-in value when you want to get your PS5 Pro down the line.

This. I am going to get some black panels for it in the new year, gonna give it a little while for the dust to settle and have definitive impressions on which are the best. Keeping the original panels in storage.
    The first on the market will surely be ****e. Rushed out, probably awful quality plastic. It's not easy getting that shape correct so they'll build it from soft bendy ****e to make up for manufacturing errors. And that means those little friction-fit nubs that hold it in place will break off in the socket if you ever try and remove it.

I wouldn't buy one of these at all because it's more pieces of pointless plastic that will end up in a landfill. But if you must buy one, wait a few months so they have time to refine them and you can compare different brands.

Agree 100%, no one should be buying any of these on day 1 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Some colours with the side panels will just look awful with the blue light. Hopefully this can be turned off.

I wonder if they could have cheaply installed changeable coloured lights on it. I mean, the PS4 has an orange, white and red bulb....

Also, hope we get decals or something for the controllers, I’d go for some matte black panels but the blue light on the console and white controller would ruin the aesthetic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Those 3rd party panels are also not going to have the textured surface.

I'm fully fine with the white, and only reason I'd bother is if someone made something better like if they sealed off the edges and made the sides perforated with a dust filter or just having any kind of setup for a dust filter.

They've got the dust collector points but a removable dust filter over each fan side would have been stupidly easy to do too, prevent dust getting into the system in the first place.

Looking at that Platestation, I see the Digital and disc versions the same price. And it keeps popping up with people buying them.
    But they're unofficial so how do they have the measurements for them?

I think would be of more use for those who plan on having the it stand up. Be better if you could pick and choose in case you want 2 different colours. Or maybe that's just the Switch owner in me speaking. :) Or just like I said if it's lying down you might just want the 1 plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Looking at that Platestation, I see the Digital and disc versions the same price. And it keeps popping up with people buying them.
    But they're unofficial so how do they have the measurements for them?

I think would be of more use for those who plan on having the it stand up. Be better if you could pick and choose in case you want 2 different colours. Or maybe that's just the Switch owner in me speaking. :) Or just like I said if it's lying down you might just want the 1 plate.

I've seen plenty of these sites for other item types. They get overwhelmed, don't ship most orders, become unresponsive etc.

They don't even have a listed address on their site. You would have to be utterly brainless to order off this shower.

https://twitter.com/jeffbakalar/status/1319608389887008768

Maybe we will start to see previews soon? He works for cnet/giantbomb.

I can't find the tweet now, but digital foundry teased something as well

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I ****ing hope so with less than a month away.

3 weeks from yesterday for the US so would want to start talking about things next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

New 4K arrives next week, I can bask in that warm 4K glow until my PS5 arrives.

Went for a mid range 50 inch Samsung that's well reviewed, no fancy 120hz or HDMI 2.1 but it will surely still be an upgrade on my ~6 year old 42 inch Bush 1080p TV, which I must say has served me incredibly well for approx £200 when I bought it. Will do nicely in my room for lounging in bed watching Prime and casting etc.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Game Sharing, no faffing about with disks, no clutter. And now you have quick resume.

If me and a friend get Miles Morales at launch it'll be €35 each. We can both play it and own it. It'll be a long time before you can buy a physical copy for that price and even if you trade it in and get €40/50 for it against a new game you've only saved €15 compared to me and I still own the game.

Each pays €35 and each has a digital copy on your PS5? Or is one digital copy shared somehow between you both? All new to PS5 so trying to get my head around this.

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Seeing a number of outlets now posting that they have a PS5. Hopefully a bit of hands on info will start to come through next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

madmoe wrote: »
    Each pays €35 and each has a digital copy on your PS5? Or is one digital copy shared somehow between you both? All new to PS5 so trying to get my head around this.

Thanks,
    M

I share with my brother from separate households so we pay €40 each for a digital copy worth €80.We both get a digital copy of the game and can play at the same time. Also we can split PS plus so only need one active subscription.

The way it works is I set his console as my primary and he sets my console as his primary and then we just log in on our own accounts.Sounds a little complicated but is easy to set up and works flawlessly.I have not bought a disc in years and personally find digital far more convenient for switching between games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement