Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭jj880

Think its 2.1 going by the IGN unboxing

Dang - just checked my pana 49 inch tv manual - only supports hdmi 2.0. Just reading up that 2.0 has only a third of the bandwidth of 2.1. Im guessing that means a massive difference in frame rate. I think thats me out for this year. I probably should have known this already.

Will wait until I can at least test my tv with a friends ps5 to see if i need a new tv. Sounds like I will need new tv for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

jj880 wrote: »
    Dang - just checked my pana 49 inch tv manual - only supports hdmi 2.0. Just reading up that 2.0 has only a third of the bandwidth of 2.1. Im guessing that means a massive difference in frame rate. I think thats me out for this year. I probably should have known this already.

Will wait until I can at least test my tv with a friends ps5 to see if i need a new tv. Sounds like I will need new tv for sure.

Id say most but the high end TV's will only be 2.0, I know mine is and Im hopeful it will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Yeah, if your tv wasn't released this year, it's unlikely it will have HDMI 2.1.

HDMI 2.1 isn't going to be absolutely necessary unless you really want those 120FPS. Even then, your TV will need to be 120HZ/VRR to make good use of it.

So if you're not in a rush to have 120FPS games, don't worry about not having HDMI 2.1.

Dang - just checked my pana 49 inch tv manual - only supports hdmi 2.0. Just reading up that 2.0 has only a third of the bandwidth of 2.1. Im guessing that means a massive difference in frame rate.
    The extra bandwidth of 2.1 is only needed for extreme cases like 4K120

Although 120Hz will be a feature offered by these consoles, they don't really have the oopmh to do 4K120. They will lower the res in order to hit 120fps - for example they might go to 1080p120 - and in this case HDMI 2.0 will have the bandwidth to support it.

In reality you need to check your TV and see what it supports specifically. The HDMI version does not tell you everything about your TV.

In any case 120Hz (at any resolution) is kind of pointless with your typical TV LCD panel. You need a very fast LCD panel to do justice to 120Hz and these panels are rarely used in TVs because they suck in other ways like viewing angle. They are more often used in gaming monitors.

There are no shortage of LCD TVs which accept and display a 120Hz signal but when you see them in person ... they're rubbish, trailing and ghosting all over the place. It's a case where the reality doesn't live up to the specs.

120Hz looks great on OLED sets though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

HDMI 2.1 will only be needed for crazy high framerates that practically no games will support. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've said it before but I see 120fps going the same way as stereoscopic 3D, it's just not worth the hassle and developers will soon realise (in fact already have realised, because the only 120fps games coming out are the ones that are basically just ports with last gen assets) that a higher fidelity game running at 30 or 60 fps will sell far better, especially when the vast majority of the audience won't have TVs capable of more.

It's just a higher number TV manufacturers get to put on the box to sell more units, but outside of gaming there will be essentially no support, and within gaming there are just too many barriers to it taking off, so I expect they'll have moved on to the next fad in a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Niska

Gamespot video showing size comparisons of PS5 vs pervious Playstations:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Any game that does support 120fps will not be 4k, any performance modes for competative games will likley be at either 1080 or 1440p and HDMI 2.0 can do 1080/1440 @ 120.

Only Greg Miller could turn a PS5 unboxing video into 17 minutes :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-27O_Oo11aY&list=PLy3mMHt2i7RLePhOecc4CZSVQCLQUCY2y&index=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Does anyone know when Smyths take payment for the pre-orders?
    I did try ring them but no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well, i guess cyberpunk won't be the first game i play on ps5 after all :(

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1321128432370176002?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

I’ve preordered a PS5 with Smyth’s but cannot access my account. I have my preorder email confirmation but every time I reset my password I don’t get an email to change it, hence why I can’t log in. This won’t be an issue will it? I have one ordered for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Man, that's a shocker. Makes planning what games to get/play first a lot easier though.

Lol, I don't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

For **** sake! Ha.

So delayed to get the day 1 patch ready, which means that whatever on the disc is probably a lot less than ideal for those with slow internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Least I can give Miles Morales proper attention maybe have a look at one or two others games for ps4 I didn't fully finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Duffers1983

Anyone know the box dimensions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Anyone know the box dimensions

BIG

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Duffers1983

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    BIG

Have to get it couriered from the south upto Dublin so need the dimensions to figure out the price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Have to get it couriered from the south upto Dublin so need the dimensions to figure out the price

Says on amazon

47 x 17.7 x 42.8 cm

If retailer has more outer packing you'll be adding on a few cm's all round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Wow a delay after going gold, that is a new one, but again they should take all the time they need. I feel sorry for the devs who have crunch for longer now.

Anyway, the game is now releasing, when I am off work. Assuming they get it out, I will have a lot of time to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Wow, as people are saying, AFTER the game is being put to disc?

Must be some major bug-squashing.

Imagine a Bethesda game being done like this.... well we’d be long dead by launch day.

Distribution could be an issue too, getting what will be a huge seller made to the number required. Last of Us was delay after going gold too due to lockdowns, can't remember if Tsushima was too or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Varik wrote: »
    Distribution could be an issue too, getting what will be a huge seller made to the number required. Last of Us was delay after going gold too due to lockdowns, can't remember if Tsushima was too or not.

It was pushed out because TLOU was pushed too close to its original release AFAIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TealPanda

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    I’ve preordered a PS5 with Smyth’s but cannot access my account. I have my preorder email confirmation but every time I reset my password I don’t get an email to change it, hence why I can’t log in. This won’t be an issue will it? I have one ordered for delivery

I've found a bunch of Smyths emails have gone into spam/junk folder so worth checking there.

Varik wrote: »

Both were delayed before going gold actually. GoT was pushed so it didn't come out the same month as TLOU Part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Hi, just checked my Smyths account. I ordered the PS5 and an additional dual controller on the release night and got emails confirming both. The following day I ordered the media remote and again got a confirmation email. On checking my account this evening I only see the media remote as being on preorder, no sign of the playstation or controller. Anyone else have this issue? I've emailed their help desk but am freaking out here as it's for my son. Can anyone confirm that the preorders for PS5 are showing on their accounts?

Thx

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TealPanda wrote: »
    I've found a bunch of Smyths emails have gone into spam/junk folder so worth checking there.

Thanks for the heads up! Nothing from smyths but just found out i could be having sex with milfs in my area tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Decoda wrote: »
    Hi, just checked my Smyths account. I ordered the PS5 and an additional dual controller on the release night and got emails confirming both. The following day I ordered the media remote and again got a confirmation email. On checking my account this evening I only see the media remote as being on preorder, no sign of the playstation or controller. Anyone else have this issue? I've emailed their help desk but am freaking out here as it's for my son. Can anyone confirm that the preorders for PS5 are showing on their accounts?

Thx

D.

Mine never showed in my account. But if I the link in the email, and enter my email it sends me a link to ‘edit the preorder”, then shows as ‘in progress’

Don’t think I was logged into my account when I ordered it at the ungodly hour

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/manage-preorder

Might need to do it through incognito or log out of your account before clicking it!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement