Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

The difficulty of the souls games has been blown way out of proportion IMO. They're challenging games for sure but there's so much more to them than that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    The difficulty of the souls games has been blown way out of proportion IMO. They're challenging games for sure but there's so much more to them than that

Maybe a bit yea, but that was one of their major selling points early on. Sure Namco are probably most at fault with their whole 'Prepare to Die' marketing and what not. Also mainstream games had gotten particularly easy around the time they released, the difficulty made them stand out, especially with all the other dark fantasy games coming out back then.
    Taltos wrote: »
    Looking forwards to seeing Demon Souls on the PS5, trying to avoid the videos as I want to experience it first hand. Also keen to seeing what’s different in there. Only replayed it recently on the PS3 before I knew it was a 5 release and still really loved it - aged really well.

You don't have much to fear about Demon's Souls, the videos only show the flamelurker and tutorial boss with a small snippet of the level leading up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Totally agree with the difficulty of some of these games. What might burn some people out is if they go the route of farming souls to raise experience to get past a certain boss. Personally I enjoy this aspect where needed but totally get some don’t.
    Back on Dark Souls against Ornstein and Smaug - kicking my proverbial so much I’ve taken a break - annoying as I’ve beaten them twice in the past but this play through not a chance in hell.

Looking forwards to seeing Demon Souls on the PS5, trying to avoid the videos as I want to experience it first hand. Also keen to seeing what’s different in there. Only replayed it recently on the PS3 before I knew it was a 5 release and still really loved it - aged really well.

Penn wrote: »
    People say "You will die a lot" about these types of games (and I imagine it'll be the same with Demon's Souls). But I think there's a bit missing off the end of that sentence. It should be "You will die a lot.... at the beginning". It's the game training you about the mechanics, getting you used to the gameplay loop, training you how to approach enemies (separate them, lure them etc).

I'd second this, the starting section leading to the 1st boss is by far the hardest part of the game. Overall the game isn't actually that difficult, it can just be really unforgiving if you don't take the time to learn the mechanics of it. The only real sticking points are the bosses and they are very manageable when you learn their attacks. Even if you can't manage this, you can always just summon help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

No official word on expandable storage yet I take it?

Kinda hoping there be few options to compete with price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

sticker wrote: »
    From a 25 year long gamer Bloodbourne is hands down the best game ever made IMO. Its a tough learning curve but an absolute masterpiece.

Bit confused by this. The combat is brilliant but surely the complete lack of any story leaves it short of being a masterpiece?

AdamD wrote: »
    Bit confused by this. The combat is brilliant but surely the complete lack of any story leaves it short of being a masterpiece?
    Lack of any story?!?!?!

Whilst I am not personally a fan of From's methods of conveying story, it does have one, and it is quite intricate. Even if it didn't, that doesn't hold it back from masterpiece status. The environmental storytelling in the game is top shelf.

Seeing all the werewolves burning at the stake when you enter Old Yharnam was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Lack of any story?!?!?!

Should I change that to comprehensible story?

Should I change that to comprehensible story?

Maybe you could change it to 'overt'. It has a detailed but subtle backstory, too subtle in my opinion but **** it, game is still amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Putting aside that Bloodborne does have a story... it’s hardly like story is some mandatory thing for a great game. Tetris Effect is a bunch of pretty imagery and music over Tetris puzzles and is one of the most amazing experiences in the history of video games.

I really like the way the souls games deliver their stories. Rather than having explicit cut scenes to tell the story they leave it vague, relying on the environments and item descriptions for the player to piece the story together.
    It's the main reason I love these games to be honest.
    I love how the community pieces it together also, another big part of the fun for me.

I really like the way the souls games deliver their stories. Rather than having explicit cut scenes to tell the story they leave it vague, relying on the environments and item descriptions for the player to piece the story together.
    It's the main reason I love these games to be honest.
    I love how the community pieces it together also, another big part of the fun for me.

I appreciate all this, I really do, but half of the time I had absolutely no idea wtf was going on in BB until I watched a Vaati video that explained it to me.

A game's story is always going to be more effective if it is delivered whilst I am actually playing it, not on a forum or YT weeks afterwards. As I said earlier it didn't bother me too much because the environment does a fantastic job of conveying roughly what is going on, and my imagination filled in the blanks.

If they just emphasised a few things a bit more (such as the blood moon and healing church etc) then it would have been perfect IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

No official word on expandable storage yet I take it?

Kinda hoping there be few options to compete with price.

As in the NVME drive? They said PCIE 4.0 is supported yeah. That was in the teardown video.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Internal-Maximum-Performance-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB/dp/B07TLYWMYW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sabrent&qid=1604324663&sr=8-2

This could be a good option, but I'm waiting until some tests are run after launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wing126 wrote: »
    As in the NVME drive? They said PCIE 4.0 is supported yeah. That was in the teardown video.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Internal-Maximum-Performance-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB/dp/B07TLYWMYW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sabrent&qid=1604324663&sr=8-2

This could be a good option, but I'm waiting until some tests are run after launch.

For non game normal or PS4 game storage only, that drive only has a 3400 MB/s read speed. So definitely won't meet the minimum required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I just started playing Bloodborne in the last month or so. I'd never played any Souls game before but had Bloodborne from PS Plus a while back, though I didn't really give it a proper go at the time. So I decided to start it up again ahead of Demons Souls, to get an idea if I'd like that kind of game - as all I've heard is how brutal they are.

After a shaky start(to put it mildly), I'm really enjoying Bloodborne now. It was very satisfying to get the hang of the combat after initially struggling. As I'm still playing through it and discovering new aspects, I'm just learning bit by bit as I go about the story and trying to figure out whats going on exactly!

Varik wrote: »
    For non game normal or PS4 game storage only, that drive only has a 3400 MB/s read speed. So definitely won't meet the minimum required.

The one I linked has 5000MB/s transfer speed though?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's not fast enough.l, it's only 4400 write speed and says up to 5000 read so don't think it maintains that speed consistently.

I must be misreading it somewhere, but I'm seeing 5000 MB/s.

It says if your motherboard doesn't support PCIE 4.0, then you'll get the slower speeds, but PS5 does support PCIE 4.0, so it should be getting the faster speeds?

"Based on TLC NAND Flash memory, its performance speeds can reach up to 5000 MB/s (read) and 4400 MB/s (write) when using a PCIe Gen4 motherboard."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Markitron wrote: »
    I appreciate all this, I really do, but half of the time I had absolutely no idea wtf was going on in BB until I watched a Vaati video that explained it to me.

A game's story is always going to be more effective if it is delivered whilst I am actually playing it, not on a forum or YT weeks afterwards. As I said earlier it didn't bother me too much because the environment does a fantastic job of conveying roughly what is going on, and my imagination filled in the blanks.

If they just emphasised a few things a bit more (such as the blood moon and healing church etc) then it would have been perfect IMO.

Yeah I have to agree. Even Sekiro which actually does have more of a story, it takes a Vaati video to really put a hell of a lot of things into greater context as there's so much which unless you're reading the descriptions of every item, trying to talk to NPCs multiple times or do things in a particular order, you don't get the full picture.

I watched the Bloodborne Vaati video and enjoyed it and got a lot of explanation on things, but those were things I had little to no clue about through playing the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I must be misreading it somewhere, but I'm seeing 5000 MB/s.

It says if your motherboard doesn't support PCIE 4.0, then you'll get the slower speeds, but PS5 does support PCIE 4.0, so it should be getting the faster speeds?

"Based on TLC NAND Flash memory, its performance speeds can reach up to 5000 MB/s (read) and 4400 MB/s (write) when using a PCIe Gen4 motherboard."

It’s still too slow. The PS5 SSD is 5500 MB/s and for a non-proprietary drive you’d need to be close to the saturation point of PCIe 4.0 which is 7000 MB/s to have some overhead to allow the console to use it effectively with its complex I/O.

That’s why Cerny said that compatible SSDs might not be out this year. Samsung have announced this that may work, but Sony must first whitelist it

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/9/22/21444428/samsung-pc-980-pro-ssd-solid-state-drive-storage-price

The one I linked has 5000MB/s transfer speed though?

Never mind it's got it's listing both pcie 4.0 and the limited pcie 3.0 speed if used with a pcie 3.0 motherboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Would it be possible to get a slower but much larger drive to store games and then transfer to main drive as you want to play them ?

Kremin wrote: »
    Would it be possible to get a slower but much larger drive to store games and then transfer to main drive as you want to play them ?

You can do it on PS4 now with an external drives, I've got a 8TB drive that I just plan on moving over to the PS5.

Only thing I'd want changed is you can't copy just move, so you can't have a copy of the game on the external drive and the internal one at the same time.

Kremin wrote: »

You can use an external drive to store games on but they must be copied over to the SSD if they’re PS5 games, or else you can play them as is if they’re PS4 games but you won’t get any speed benefits as the speed is capped at 100MB/s

Penn wrote: »
    I watched the Bloodborne Vaati video and enjoyed it and got a lot of explanation on things, but those were things I had little to no clue about through playing the game.

When I watched that video it was actually really annoying me that they had this really cool backstory for the world and characters and it went completely over my head. I think the worst part was that I had absolutely no clue what was going on when the blood moon happened and when I fought the final boss.

You can use an external drive to store games on but they must be copied over to the SSD if they’re PS5 games, or else you can play them as is if they’re PS4 games but you won’t get any speed benefits as the speed is capped at 100MB/s

Actually a few PS4 games got patched recently for PS4, that's showing improvements on faster drives even on PS4.

Varik wrote: »
    Actually a few PS4 games got patched recently for PS4, that's showing improvements on faster drives even on PS4.

Would those benefits be seen on an external drive too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

From GameStop - good to see they're going to address the issue...

THANKS FOR YOUR PRE-ORDER

Dear Customer

We see you have placed an in-store order for Assassin's Creed Valhalla and/or Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War.

We wanted to let you know that we are working hard on a solution to fulfil your order due to store closures caused by COVID-19 restrictions.

Please keep an eye on your emails and we will be in touch this week.

Thank you

Your GameStop Team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Would those benefits be seen on an external drive too?

Days Gone received a patch that (among other things) reduced it's size by 20gb so it would benefit it that way at least haha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement