Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Saw (doubtful) speculation and rumour on Reddit that German retailers may release the console a week early due to Europe going into lockdown.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/jmpkny/media_markt_germany_sending_out_mails_claiming/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

We’ve been in lockdown for 2 weeks and not a word was said to us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

Question:

Seeing as we can transfer our data from the ps4 to ps5 via wifi...

Does the speed of my internet contribute to this transfer speed?

Would I be just as well to redownload game installs from PSN or would console to console be quicker?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Saw (doubtful) speculation and rumour on Reddit that German retailers may release the console a week early due to Europe going into lockdown.

We’ve been in lockdown for 2 weeks and not a word was said to us :pac:

I wish they'd do that here. Or just in general, the 19th is arbitrary if they have stock well in advance of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If they did they would be in breach of some sort of contract with Sony and wouldn't bode well for future dealings with them.

Berty wrote: »
    If they did they would be in breach of some sort of contract with Sony and wouldn't bode well for future dealings with them.

They’re apparently working together and it’s Sony’s initiative.

Read that Sony also aren’t allowing store pickup in either Sweden or Norway, they all must be delivered

• Advertisement

Wing126 wrote: »
    I wish they'd do that here. Or just in general, the 19th is arbitrary if they have stock well in advance of it.

I think in a pre-COVID world it would’ve been a global release. I hope it does get pushed forward considering the games and accessories are releasing here the 12th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

AdamD wrote: »
    Bit confused by this. The combat is brilliant but surely the complete lack of any story leaves it short of being a masterpiece?

If videogames relied on story to be good the industry would be in a very bad place.

Videogames are far more than a storytelling medium and you don't need a story for them to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If videogames relied on story to be good the industry would be in a very bad place.

Videogames are far more than a storytelling medium and you don't need a story for them to be good.

Agreed but I think stories can add a lot to the game. I've loved bad games because the stories have kept me interested and have disliked games I know are good because story elements annoyed me.

I think when it comes to Bloodborne, there's a great story underneath with an incredibly deep lore, but you have to really focus on trying to drag the story out of it. If even just some of the bigger plot points were put into just a few extra cutscenes it would have added a lot to it imo, and given more of a reason to try delve deeper into the lore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm merely saying it may be enough to drop it below 'masterpiece'. Obviously up for debate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I think in a pre-COVID world it would’ve been a global release. I hope it does get pushed forward considering the games and accessories are releasing here the 12th.

They have never had a global release before, people forget sometimes that the PS3 was released four months later in Europe than North America, well delayed anyway due to those pesky blue laser diodes.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    They have never had a global release before, people forget sometimes that the PS3 was released four months later in Europe than North America, well delayed anyway due to those pesky blue laser diodes.

I think it was before the release of the Pro that they said they wanted to follow Apple’s reveal and release schedule. Obviously a revel two weeks before launch for a console wouldn’t work, but I took that to mean they would aim for a global launch.

MS have done it twice now and it’s a much cleaner way of doing things for the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

They’re apparently working together and it’s Sony’s initiative.

Read that Sony also aren’t allowing store pickup in either Sweden or Norway, they all must be delivered

Link please? I can't be moving my days off at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

fixXxer wrote: »
    Link please? I can't be moving my days off at this stage :(

https://playfront.de/ps5-haendler-vermelden-frueheren-start-fuer-vorbesteller/?amp&__twitter_impression=true

It looks like an error in an internal system to be honest. Automated email with incorrect date entered. Easy to do with the accessories out on the 12th

Also, people in the Reddit thread saying their delivery from the same retailer is the 19th

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Penn wrote: »
    Agreed but I think stories can add a lot to the game. I've loved bad games because the stories have kept me interested and have disliked games I know are good because story elements annoyed me.

I think when it comes to Bloodborne, there's a great story underneath with an incredibly deep lore, but you have to really focus on trying to drag the story out of it. If even just some of the bigger plot points were put into just a few extra cutscenes it would have added a lot to it imo, and given more of a reason to try delve deeper into the lore.

I think in the From games there's plenty of story there if you want to go looking for it but you aren't missing anything if you don't. I find the best developers would have a story bible while developing a game that informs the games direction and atmosphere and leave that out. On the other end you have endless codex and lore dumps which are just tedious.

Anyway I think the from games present enough story to the average user to set the atmosphere and tone and really that's enough. The very first dark souls takes it a step further and I think it's a master work in exploring different ways to tell a story where the ambiguity of what is happening is actually part of it as forces are trying to manipulate the player. But for the games are dark souls you can thoroughly enjoy just by soaking in the atmosphere and environment and letting your mind come up with ideas about what might have happened.

It's a very different way to spelling it out in a more traditional sense and it's a form of storytelling that's kind of unique to videogames which is why I love it.

Oh back to the ps5.... 7 second load times?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

It's a very different way to spelling it out in a more traditional sense and it's a form of storytelling that's kind of unique to videogames which is why I love it.
    This 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/video-games/ps-5-release-games-features/?itid=sf_video-games

Good interview with Mark Cerny. A lot of the info we know already but still a good read.

Nice wee quote explaining why game sizes should go down with the SSD:

"If you break up “Spider-Man’s” virtual New York City into city blocks and store all the data of each block together, as a chunk on the hard disk, you will have copied the same trash can (and mailbox, streetlamp, halal food cart and so on) hundreds of times across the disk. Cerny and his team did this on the PS4 to speed up load times, but the result was a lot of wasted space. One trash can might be a negligible file size, but 400 will add up."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Wing126 wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/video-games/ps-5-release-games-features/?itid=sf_video-games

Good interview with Mark Cerny. A lot of the info we know already but still a good read.

Nice wee quote explaining why game sizes should go down with the SSD:

"If you break up “Spider-Man’s” virtual New York City into city blocks and store all the data of each block together, as a chunk on the hard disk, you will have copied the same trash can (and mailbox, streetlamp, halal food cart and so on) hundreds of times across the disk. Cerny and his team did this on the PS4 to speed up load times, but the result was a lot of wasted space. One trash can might be a negligible file size, but 400 will add up."

Hopefully they all start doing this. If file sizes don't come down the Series S in particular is ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

AdamD wrote: »
    Bit confused by this. The combat is brilliant but surely the complete lack of any story leaves it short of being a masterpiece?

Monster Lore and Backstory here - A beautiful world of history and charachter if the player chooses to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭BrentMused

What other accessories have you ordered with your console guys?

I'm having a look at the headset and debating whether to go for it or not. Same with the charging station.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

BrentMused wrote: »

I'm having a look at the headset and debating whether to go for it or not. Same with the charging station.

Am considering the headset but am waiting for reviews before I jump on it. Media remote will probably be the other item as I'll use Apple TV and Sky Go on it also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Will order a second controller but waiting on any company to actually get the Charging dock in stock first. Order them together. Easy to get a controller, very hard for charging dock.

Seems that techinn claim to have them but if you look at their reviews nobody trusts them globally and also they list delivery as February 2021. :eek:

In no rush so I'll wait for Amazon to restock as Smyths haven't gotten further stock yet. I can always check the likes of Argos and other non pre order places on or after the 12th/19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Didnt bother with the charging dock as I have loads of mobile phone cables around the place. Definitely want to get the headset but that might be after Christmas as I'll be spending enough money on the console and games as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

More embargo's up today?

I'm gonna wait for some alternate colours before getting a new controller, a black and red one would be very nice.

Confirmed order for unit itself with drive bay, extra controller and official charging station. Demon Souls and Spiderman preordered...

Will wait for PS5 headset reviews but looks promising. No guarantee of availablity though!

Media remote looks interesting too...

Assuming this runs at 60 fps like the last 3 RE games, a nice precedent is being set for next gen

Markitron wrote: »
    Assuming this runs at 60 fps like the last 3 RE games, a nice precedent is being set for next gen

*Dynamic 4K and HDR require a compatible 4K & HDR compatible TV or display

Listed at the bottom on the PS Store page. Hopefully 4K60

• Advertisement

*Dynamic 4K and HDR require a compatible 4K & HDR compatible TV or display

Listed at the bottom on the PS Store page. Hopefully 4K60

Tbh I just assume every game is dynamic 4K, native 4K will become less and less important as the gen goes on anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement