Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Wing126 wrote: »
    Same dude also showed a video of them in a warehouse... Has he just admitted that his store broke release date?

I don't think either were their own videos. Seems to be a few out in the wild anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Sony finally sending consoles out to tech reviewers this side of the pond :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Sony finally sending consoles out to tech reviewers this side of the pond :)

Digital Foundry have had one for nearly a week I think. Hopefully we get some proper reviews soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I know these NDAs are par for the course but why the secrecy at thist stage? These things will sell like hot cakes

jones wrote: »
    I know these NDAs are par for the course but why the secrecy at thist stage? These things will sell like hot cakes

It just marketing, building hype now will help them sell it well into next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Berty wrote: »
    Be glad you're not in the UK. They're making pre order people go to the stores before the lock down they're about to begin and making them pay upfront for it. If you don't or can't go then I guess you lose your pre order. Their twitter is going crazy for 2 days because of it.

Ireland is being a bit lax with our own rules, you'd the government telling essential shops to put away or rope off non essentials like toys but I've seen no such thing happen so far.

GameStop can only do click and collect, they'd not be allowed to take money on the day as the UK are a bit more strict they're actually following that, and I wouldn't think you'd lose you're preorder it'd probably be the same for shops that aren't opening at all and you've to wait until lockdown ends.

I wouldn't be felling safe if I was in the same position, government here could make a sink and they'd be more likely to take action against a larger company than a bunch of small supermarkets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some information forthcoming about the gameplay help feature the OS has and highlighting Demon's souls help videos.

Really liking the feature as it looks like it's been ripped off from the Miiverse on the WiiU and was one of the systems best features and really helped build community on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Some information forthcoming about the gameplay help feature the OS has and highlighting Demon's souls help videos.

Really liking the feature as it looks like it's been ripped off from the Miiverse on the WiiU and was one of the systems best features and really helped build community on it.

https://www.ign.com/articles/demons-souls-ps5-remake-ui-guide-help-videos

Demon's Souls PS5 Has Over 180 Guide Videos in the UI

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Y can't Demon's Souls crawl?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Varik wrote: »
    Ireland is being a bit lax with our own rules, you'd the government telling essential shops to put away or rope off non essentials like toys but I've seen no such thing happen so far.

You mustn't be shopping in any of the major retailers then. Any Tesco or Dunnes I've been in has all clothing, toys and games covered over or gone from the shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

I really like the sound of being able to launch into solos/duos/squads in Fortnite from the PS5 menu in the next gen version of the game.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/day-1-ready-fortnite-arrives-next-week-on-xbox-series-x-s-and-ps5

For anyone reading or watching teardowns of the controller, ignore those that are jumping to conclusions about the rumble/vibration being power hungry "cuz it's got de HD rumble". The less than ideal sized battery and the touchpad were the main culprits for the DS4 battery life, and the dualsense still has the touchpad and the triggers will add somewhat to that but it should still laster longer than the DS4 as it's battery is 50% bigger.

The linear resonant actuator (LRA) for the rumble use way less power than a comparatively sized old unbalance/eccentric rotating mass vibration motor even with all their smarts.

The very good news is the LRA for the dualsense is ****ing huge, it's physically comparable to the full assembly for the old vibration which makes it substantially bigger than those used in phones, Nintendo switch, or any of the oculus/rift controllers.

Based on comments/quotes from Sony I don't expect battery life to be significantly improved. It's unlikely to be worse because they are aware of the criticisms (of DS4 battery life).

If the Dualsense is in the ballpark of the V2 Dualshock or a little better, i'd be reasonably happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Based on comments/quotes from Sony I don't expect battery life to be significantly improved. It's unlikely to be worse because they are aware of the criticisms (of DS4 battery life).

If the Dualsense is in the ballpark of the V2 Dualshock or a little better, i'd be reasonably happy.

For what they’re achieving this time with all the haptics, etc., I’m happy with a small improvement as well.

Once they started talking about all the mad stuff they wanted to do I knew not to expect Xbox-level battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As posted in the Days Gone thread, this ps plus game will be getting a nice boost on PS5, can't wait to playthrough it again.

https://twitter.com/BendStudio/status/1323686438127325187?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Does anybody know if the PS5 will support bluetooth headphones? I know the PS4 doesn't and I don't care about headset capabilities, simply for use as another audio option. Thinking about purchasing some Sony WH-1000XM4's and use on a PS5 as an audio output would be a major plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the PS5 will support bluetooth headphones? I know the PS4 doesn't and I don't care about headset capabilities, simply for use as another audio option. Thinking about purchasing some Sony WH-1000XM4's and use on a PS5 as an audio output would be a major plus.

Could you not get a little bluetooth dongle to plug into the controller of they don't work natively?

There's no aptX LL or any other low latency option on those headphones, definitely wouldn't be something to either game or watch movies with.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

AFAIK no it won’t support Bluetooth. You won’t regret the XM4 purchase though, can’t leave the house without my XM3. Amazing quality. You can attach the headphones to the controller with the aux cable that comes with the cans, if it’s the same as the PS4 controller which I imagine it is

So not to scale, but you all know how big the controllers are mostly.

Top left is the new black LRA and the old ERM from a dualshock 4, there's 2 in each controller the ERMs will have a different weight on the end for each side same for xbox.

Top right is the LRA from a Joycon, 1 in each. same size as those in all the modern VR controllers (not the move).

M82KiRx.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't played Days Gone yet so good to see it gets a boost.

So Friday sees the embargo up and the floodgates open with PS5 and game reviews coming.
    What are you most looking forward to finding out and is there any bad news you're expecting?
    I expect we'll have the usable storage confirmed.
    Download speeds, since I'm assuming the servers are available to those with a PS5. (Though servers and download speeds are going to take a massive hit the first few days.)
    Backward Compatibility - I do expect some reports of games having issues.
    External hard drives. Like can we just copy from PS4 to a drive and plug in to PS5 and start right away or is there some awkward way of doing it.
    Wonder if they were sent camera adaptors as well to try PSVR. Never saw it mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

DS 5 battery life. It became normal for me to insta turn off vibration in games unless it was needed and become angry at games that wouldn't let me. The new DS sounds class but when someone mentions "it feels like you're walking on glass!!", I just think of the battery draining.

Noise test. I want to see someone play God of War and open the map screen.

UI customisation. Can we get rid of a lot of the crap? Can we apply music now to custom theme backgrounds? (Wishful thinking).

UI customisation is a good one. If they must have everything there all the time, at least let us move the stuff we rarely use to the far end.

As for battery life, vibration may use battery but I assume the adaptive triggers also use battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Surely you can just use Blue toooth headset on your TV and not worry about the controller.
    Maybe that would be an issue with the new controller speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Parsnips wrote: »
    Surely you can just use Blue toooth headset on your TV and not worry about the controller.
    Maybe that would be an issue with the new controller speaker.

The advantage would be the PS Parties, or in-game chat etc.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    UI customisation is a good one. If they must have everything there all the time, at least let us move the stuff we rarely use to the far end.

As for battery life, vibration may use battery but I assume the adaptive triggers also use battery.

531667.jpg

Long story short the adaptive trigger only uses power when it changes the resistance, it moves the one side of the spring and it's the mirrored spring on each trigger that's doing the work.

So R2 to knife someone, or L2 to swing a longsword will use the same power, as the motor just sets the tension.

Think of it like a e reader, it only uses power when it changes the page.

So the trigger changing as you pull it in like for a clutch finding the biting point or a bow string as you draw it will use power as you pull in.

Figured it would always be in low power/standby mode awaiting instructions on what kind of resistance it needs. So while not using a lot of power, still using power.
    Even going by what you said, I'd say any game that uses them would use them a lot.

With them turned off are they analog or digital triggers?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Figured it would always be in low power/standby mode awaiting instructions on what kind of resistance it needs. So while not using a lot of power, still using power.
    Even going by what you said, I'd say any game that uses them would use them a lot.

With them turned off are they analog or digital triggers?

Even in multiplat where they may not use it fully I'd say the static tension option will get used a lot but that'll only change power when gameplay changes, L2 is aim down sight with tension set to X while on foot and set to y when L2 is brake.

Analogue or digital won't be effected by the new setup, and it would be a mistake if they made it digital. It's be a big step back.

Would 100% bet it's still analogue there's no way they'd change that and we'd have heard as even barley competent reviewer would have noticed that.

Also it'd want to be analogue do any of the fully dynamic tension stuff as it'd need a analogue input to set it against.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

No further news on what SSD will be compatible with the PS5. Is an announcement on this expected prior to launch?

• Advertisement

The new Samsung 980 Pro could be compatible, it's not great for durability but speed wise the max rating is High.

Pretty much nothing elses even matches the 5500mbps of the PS5.

We probably won't know until people start putting them in consoles and whatever internal benchmark gives the go or no go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement