Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

Varik wrote: »
    Long story short the adaptive trigger only uses power when it changes the resistance, it moves the one side of the spring and it's the mirrored spring on each trigger that's doing the work.

So R2 to knife someone, or L2 to swing a longsword will use the same power, as the motor just sets the tension.

Think of it like a e reader, it only uses power when it changes the page.

So the trigger changing as you pull it in like for a clutch finding the biting point or a bow string as you draw it will use power as you pull in.
    It's not accurate to say it is using power to "set a tension" and then it does not use power again. It uses power with every button press that incorporates the feature.

The 'extra' resistance comes from a stopper which can be placed at any point in the button travel. When the button encounters the stopper, there is extra resistance because to push the stopper down you have to back-drive the motor. There is some passive friction in the gearing and motor spindle.

It can also 'fight back' against your trigger squeeze to some (weak) extent.

After one trigger squeeze the stopper is now fully retracted. To have the effect again the motor must turn and move the stopper out again to a new position. The motor will also be reversed sometimes to quickly retract the stopper.

https://youtu.be/4rNITneXnCo?t=571

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

had a dream last night Smyth's took payment and delivered the consoles early, woke up very sad.

someone please send help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The plastic worm gear in the triggers gives me the fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Series S and X arriving already in Canada (thesource.ca) and Portugal (Direct from MS)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Series S and X arriving already in Canada (thesource.ca) and Portugal (Direct from MS)

Keep forgetting its out in less than a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Good, I hope they start to release them early here, too.

I can imagine warehousing is a nightmare with lockdown and any chance to free up space is welcomed for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Good, I hope they start to release them early here, too.

I can imagine warehousing is a nightmare with lockdown and any chance to free up space is welcomed for them.

Interesting the MS themselves in Portugal started shipping them. Could hardly have been a mistake in MS, unless they use a 3rd party who messed up

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Interesting the MS themselves in Portugal started shipping them. Could hardly have been a mistake in MS, unless they use a 3rd party who messed up

If games and accessories are coming out the 12th, why not just ship out the first waves of consoles as they come in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Interesting article and associated video on how the adaptive triggers work. I can see these getting worn out pretty easily (if the Dualshock 4 is anything to go by, the left stick has borked on me in 2 separate controllers, and i'd be a fairly light gamer).

However, the video highlights that the parts are modular and should be easily replaceable.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/11/2/21546518/playstation-5-dualsense-adaptive-triggers-haptic-feedback-ps5

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Interesting article and associated video on how the adaptive triggers work. I can see these getting worn out pretty easily (if the Dualshock 4 is anything to go by, the left stick has borked on me in 2 separate controllers, and i'd be a fairly light gamer).

However, the video highlights that the parts are modular and should be easily replaceable.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/11/2/21546518/playstation-5-dualsense-adaptive-triggers-haptic-feedback-ps5

This go around the controller seems to be a major part of Sony's push, I would be surprised if the build quality is as relatively poor as the DS4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

gerrybbadd wrote: »

I picked up a DS4 V2 for my pro last year to replace faulty one. They are definitely a lot sturdier (particularly compared to launch DS4) and with better battery life. The original DS4 had terrible battery life only lasted a few hours at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

jones wrote: »
    I picked up a DS4 V2 for my pro last year to replace faulty one. They are definitely a lot sturdier (particularly compared to launch DS4) and with better battery life. The original DS4 had terrible battery life only lasted a few hours at a time

I've had both. A launch day PS4 one, and a PS4 Pro new model one. The DS4 V2 one didn't last me nearly as long - the left stick is "stuck" in up, making menu navigation etc impossible. I tried doing a bit of a clean out with a straw (blowing in to clear any debris that may have accumulated) but no joy.

Really hoping the build quality is improved, but in fairness, all impressions appear to be leaning towards it

jones wrote: »

I had 3 DS4s in total, 1 each that came with the OG and Pro models, and a spare I bought in 2015. The thumbstick was a bit worn on the 2013 original, but aside from that I never had a problem with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One of the triggers on the original DS4 with launch PS4 gave up the ghost on me a month or two before the PS4 Pro came out. It felt loose and you really had to squeeze it to get it to register. L3 often got stuck down and I'd have to pull it up. But since then I've been using two DS4 V2s I bought with the Pro and have never had any issue in 4 years with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I think its well known the V2 fixes a lot of the issues with the DS4 so i'd be hopeful the new one will be awesome :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1324044205266771968

Woahh.... Apparently we should be able to choose between packs, what we want to install etc. Heres hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Tweet deleted? What was it?

Ah I see it's a CoD account. That about the space required of something stupid like 225GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Tweet deleted? What was it?

Ah I see it's a CoD account. That about the space required of something stupid like 225GB?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1324044205266771968

Woahh.... Apparently we should be able to choose between packs, what we want to install etc. Heres hoping.

https://twitter.com/CallofDuty/status/1324049638354153472?s=19

how do they justify the massive file size? I'm not a CoD player but my understanding is the campaign's short and linear compared to loads of other games and then has multiplayer maps.
    Yet then we have games with massive open worlds that are barely 50GB. Like a quick google tells me Watch Dogs legion is about 33GB.
    I suppose that's more a discussion for a CoD thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

COD devs tapping their head "players can't play any other game if ours takes up their whole drive".

how do they justify the massive file size? I'm not a CoD player but my understanding is the campaign's short and linear compared to loads of other games and then has multiplayer maps.
    Yet then we have games with massive open worlds that are barely 50GB. Like a quick google tells me Watch Dogs legion is about 33GB.
    Every year when they copy paste the game they just update the previous files to say _old and rename the new ones to whatever title theyre working with... Or so I'm told

In that case the FIFA games must be massive by now. Or do they remember to delete the old files?

In that case the FIFA games must be massive by now. Or do they remember to delete the old files?

My source told me FIFA devs don't even have to copy any files, just do a quick select all > replace all FIFA X -> FIFA X+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

Is it possible to trade in a PS4 for a PS5 with the current level of operation in GameStop?

Kremin wrote: »
    My source told me FIFA devs don't even have to copy any files, just do a quick select all > replace all FIFA X -> FIFA X+1

That's the Switch version. My understanding is for the other consoles they make the grass greener and the ball rounder

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

RonaVirus wrote: »
    Is it possible to trade in a PS4 for a PS5 with the current level of operation in GameStop?

No, only CEX postal option I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

They use uncompressed audio and some uncompressed textures for better loading afaik.

COD make a big deal of their audio too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The size of CoD games is obviously preposterous, but don’t get too worried until it happens with a game actually worth playing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

No, only CEX postal option I'd say

Some of the CEX stores are still accepting sales by drop in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement