Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Does anyone know when the next tranche of informations is going to be released? It's gotten very quiet and the news front recently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

padair wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the next tranche of informations is going to be released? It's gotten very quiet and the news front recently

Rumour is the 6th. With it a week away in the US, obviously next week its all out there if there's nothing on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah. Apparently the Series X/S reviews are due tomorrow afternoon and PS5 console and game reviews due Friday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

padair wrote: »

Election is taking up all the media attention at the moment. Friday apparently there is an embargo lift.

Some leaks about for Spiderman trophies and game length. Won't say for fear of upsetting people but be aware they are about

• Reading online that the PS5 doesn't support 1440p

Terribly disappointing and such a strange omission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Reading online that the PS5 doesn't support 1440p

Terribly disappointing and such a strange omission

BenQ who a monitor manufacturers have said they did.

• Varik wrote: »
    BenQ who a monitor manufacturers have said they did.

Well BenQ are wrong

IGN Italy confirmed it

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-no-native-1440p-support/

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

So does that mean the ps5 will output 4k and downscale to 1440 or output 1080 and upscale to 1440? Regardless guess I need to bite and upgrade my monitor after all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Kremin wrote: »
    So does that mean the ps5 will output 4k and downscale to 1440 or output 1080 and upscale to 1440? Regardless guess I need to bite and upgrade my monitor after all

If you have a 1440p monitor, the PS5 will output at 1080p with supersampling from whatever res the current game is outputting. It is obviously only an issue for a small group of people but they should have fixed this since it was the same on the Pro.

• Markitron wrote: »
    If you have a 1440p monitor, the PS5 will output at 1080p with supersampling from whatever res the current game is outputting. It is obviously only an issue for a small group of people but they should have fixed this since it was the same on the Pro.

Not necessarily

1440p with high refresh rates and HDR is an easier entry into the high FPS market without spending thousands on a brand new 4K HDR 120hz TV

Lots of people own PC's too and if also looking to invest in the Series X they could have a great display for all platforms.

It's lazy from Sony

• Advertisement

Not necessarily

1440p with high refresh rates and HDR is an easier entry into the high FPS market without spending thousands on a brand new 4K HDR 120hz TV

Lots of people own PC's too and if also looking to invest in the Series X they could have a great display for all platforms.

It's lazy from Sony

The vast majority of console gamers are playing on a TV, not a monitor. Most TVs are 1080p or 4K. The number of PS5 players that this will actually affect is miniscule in the grand scheme.

• Markitron wrote: »
    The vast majority of console gamers are playing on a TV, not a monitor. Most TVs are 1080p or 4K. The number of PS5 players that this will actually affect is miniscule in the grand scheme.

I'm not seeing anything that would back up such a claim.

Xbox Games Pass proves that people play across platforms.

I think you underestimate the high cost of entry here for next gen.

Personally find it impossible to play on TVs as on PC was big into LoL & CS:GO and Apex on consoles so I was practically glued to the monitor .

Guess thisll just be what convinces me to upgrade

Itd be cool if Sony did a hardware survey similar to steam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

There’s zero cost of entry. For the vast, vast majority of people, the PS5 will go under there existing TV. 1440p TVs don’t exist. 120fps is a gimmick that won’t have mass uptake either among consumers or game developers.

• quokula wrote: »
    There’s zero cost of entry. For the vast, vast majority of people, the PS5 will go under there existing TV. 1440p TVs don’t exist. 120fps is a gimmick that won’t have mass uptake either among consumers or game developers.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

It's literally built into the primary marketing

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sony-has-started-branding-tvs-that-support-8k-and-120fps-as-ps5-ready/

https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/ps5/

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I think people are underestimating the amount of multiplayer games and F2P battle royale type games that will target 120fps as the generation goes on. Lots of multiplayer games managed to hit 60fps on the PS4 as they don't go super flashy in terms of graphics... those games will easily manage to hit 120fps on PS5. You won't be seeing single player narrative games hitting 120, but I think we'll see quite a few multiplayer games as well as indie games hit 120.

I see 120 fps similarly to 1080p in the 360/PS3 gen. Made out to be a big selling point but only a handful of games (mostly smaller ones) will support it early on, and few people will have the screens to take advantage of it, before becoming a little more commonplace in the back half of the generation.
    rm212 wrote: »
    I think people are underestimating the amount of multiplayer games and F2P battle royale type games that will target 120fps as the generation goes on. Lots of multiplayer games managed to hit 60fps on the PS4 as they don't go super flashy in terms of graphics... those games will easily manage to hit 120fps on PS5. You won't be seeing single player narrative games hitting 120, but I think we'll see quite a few multiplayer games as well as indie games hit 120.

The difference is that 60 fps was a standard feature on TVs when the PS4 came out, while 120 fps certainly is not standard right now. This will change but it will take a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Markitron wrote: »
    The difference is that 60 fps was a standard feature on TVs when the PS4 came out, while 120 fps certainly is not standard right now. This will change but it will take a few years.

You realise that in simple multiplayer games where there's enough power to deliver 120fps, changing the in-game framerate cap from 60 to 120 would take a developer around 2 minutes, especially considering the game is likely already on PC where that is an option. It's not like they have to do a load of work to support 120fps for the people who do have a TV capable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Markitron wrote: »

Sony are pushing 120fps on their packaging. Most people's tvs can't output that level of FPS. Why are they offering this if it's a miniscule amount can actually use it?

I would guarantee there's more people who'll play PS5 on a 1440P monitor than people who'll play it on a 120hz capable tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Sony are pushing 120fps on their packaging. Most people's tvs can't output that level of FPS. Why are they offering this if it's a miniscule amount can actually use it?

I would guarantee there's more people who'll play PS5 on a 1440P monitor than people who'll play it on a 120hz capable tv.

For now. But the tv situation will evolve and grow over the course of the consoles life, the number of 1440 monitor users... not so much much.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

Only two weeks to go lads

For now. But the tv situation will evolve and grow over the course of the consoles life, the number of 1440 monitor users... not so much much.

A €400 1440P 120hz monitor is a hell of a lot more affordable than a €1000 4K 1200hz monitor so I wouldn't be so sure on that.

A €400 1440P 120hz monitor is a hell of a lot more affordable than a €1000 4K 1200hz monitor so I wouldn't be so sure on that.

For now, which is my point. TVs with that spec will get more common as they inevitably get cheaper and cheaper, while those on 1440p monitors are going to remain a niche group. People don’t generally buy consoles for monitors. What’s going to drive their numbers? In three years times which do you think will be the bigger use base?

For now, which is my point. TVs with that spec will get more common as they inevitably get cheaper and cheaper, while those on 1440p monitors are going to remain a niche group. People don’t generally buy consoles for monitors. What’s going to drive their numbers? In three years times which do you think will be the bigger use base?

Plethora of GPUs that offer excellent value for 1440P gaming at high refresh rates.

I would be imagine in three years the amount of people who own 1440P monitors will be higher than people who own 4K 120hz tvs.

• For now, which is my point. TVs with that spec will get more common as they inevitably get cheaper and cheaper, while those on 1440p monitors are going to remain a niche group. People don’t generally buy consoles for monitors. What’s going to drive their numbers? In three years times which do you think will be the bigger use base?
    Another assumption as consoles now look more and more like PCs everyday with both software and hardware.

There are plenty of people who still don't have a standard 4k TV even now never mind 4K HDR 120hz.

You underestimate the cost of entry. And they are selling next gen to these specifications to consumers as primary reasons to get them.

Finding a middle ground is something consumers will always do.
    And 1440P resolution is a perfect middle ground.

Plethora of GPUs that offer excellent value for 1440P gaming at high refresh rates.

I would be imagine in three years the amount of people who own 1440P monitors will be higher than people who own 120hz tvs.

And? You’re being deliberately obtuse. We’re taking about PlayStations here. Also, forgot to add that new console generations are one of biggest drivers of new television adoptions. That’s excluding the how the pandemic has set record tv sales.

Another assumption as consoles now look more and more like PCs everyday with both software and hardware.

There are plenty of people who still don't have a standard 4k TV even now never mind 4K HDR 120hz.

You underestimate the cost of entry. And they are selling next gen to these specifications to consumers as primary reasons to get them.

Finding a middle ground is something consumers will always do.
    And 1440P resolution is a perfect middle ground.

Again. This isn’t a market that’s not going to grow on any meaningful way(if at all) for PlayStation. It’s not that hard to figure out why they didn’t support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Tsdckcaj

It's for marketing. Same reason they have 8K advertised on the box.

• Advertisement

• Again. This isn’t a market that’s not going to grow on any meaningful way(if at all) for PlayStation. It’s not that hard to figure out why they didn’t support it.

I don't agree at all.
    All major gaming websites give it huge coverage and vast amount of streamers and influencers use them

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-best-gaming-monitor-7003

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement