Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And? You’re being deliberately obtuse. We’re taking about PlayStations here. Also, forgot to add that new console generations are one of biggest drivers of new television adoptions. That’s excluding the how the pandemic has set record tv sales.

I'm not being obtuse. You asked what will drive 1440P monitor sales. I explained that the availability of reasonably priced GPUs that can hit those resolutions at a high frame rate will. Steam survey shows the increase in people moving to 1440P.

Someone else said that the amount of people using 1440P monitors will be miniscule so there was little point in catering for that group.

However Sony are pushing 4K 120hz. The people who have that or will have that in the next three years will be lower than those who have 1440P monitors for two reasons, one is the cost of entry and two is the availability of content to use that 4K 120hz.

It's just silly that Sony didn't provide a toggle to give native 1440P output option. A game can look excellent at native 1440P and maximum quality settings. I'd much prefer run a game at that than at 4K lower quality settings. Another benefit of 1440P is it's much easier to run than native 4K so can allow for higher frame rates.

JackCDSt wrote: »
    It's for marketing. Same reason they have 8K advertised on the box.

Exactly. It's just silly to cater for people who have 8K available and not for people who have 1440P available. The amount of people who have 8K TVs would probably fit in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I don't agree at all.
    All major gaming websites give it huge coverage and vast amount of streamers and influencers use them

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-best-gaming-monitor-7003

Again, for very obvious reasons for their use cases (even excluding the fact those influencers are more likely to be sponsored by monitors over tv). I genuinely don’t understand how this isn’t the most obvious thing in the world to you. 1440p console gaming, is and will remain a niche area. Otherwise Sony would support it. 4K 120hz TVs install base may be tiny now, but it’s sure as **** going to grow (and fairly rapidly when you consider there’s not too many areas where TV
    Manufacturers can upgrade their product)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Not a game I'm interested in personally, but how they utilised the DualSense sounds cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

It should not be difficult for Sony to support 1440p, as the AMD GPU probably already has support for it. They should surely be able to enable the option with minimal engineering work via an update.

I see no good reason not to have the option.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    It should not be difficult for Sony to support 1440p, as the AMD GPU probably already has support for it. They should surely be able to enable the option with minimal engineering work via an update.

Microsoft are giving the option to play at 1440P.

I can honestly see no reason why it shouldn't be available.

wes wrote: »

I’m certain that it can support it, but this is down to costs. It’s incredibly simple guys. Features cost
    Money, and these expenses need to be justified. These aren’t PCs and people to break with that mentality (same with the HD camera inability to work with PSVR) Sony would have another resolution for their catalog that they’d have to ensure works and certify. The numbers obviously aren’t worth it.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Microsoft are giving the option to play at 1440P.

I can honestly see no reason why it shouldn't be available.

It’s almost as if Microsoft have a stake in another platform, isn’t it. Seriously.

It’s almost as if Microsoft have a stake in another platform, isn’t it. Seriously.

No, Microsoft are trying to provide a consumer friendly product that allows gamers to play how they want when they want. They're correcting the mistakes from One launch.

If you want to play at 1080, 1440, 4k then go for it. If you want to play on console, pc or mobile then work away.

There's literally no negative to offering 1440P output on the PS5 and allowing the end user have an option on the resolution they play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

A €400 1440P 120hz monitor is a hell of a lot more affordable than a €1000 4K 1200hz monitor so I wouldn't be so sure on that.

And a €500 4k 65" 60hz TV is a far more appealing and far more common choice for the 99% of people who aren't hardcore PC gamers and aren't going to arrange their living room and couch around a little monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

quokula wrote: »
    And a €500 4k 65" 60hz TV is a far more appealing and far more common choice for the 99% of people who aren't hardcore PC gamers and aren't going to arrange their living room and couch around a little monitor.

Where can you get a tv with that spec at that price?

No, Microsoft are trying to provide a consumer friendly product that allows gamers to play how they want when they want. They're correcting the mistakes from One launch.

If you want to play at 1080, 1440, 4k then go for it. If you want to play on console, pc or mobile then work away.

There's literally no negative to offering 1440P output on the PS5 and allowing the end user have an option on the resolution they play.

Then go with MS then. They HAVE to have that support and I’m sure azure helps pay a few of the bills. Otherwise, The negative is Cost, cost, cost for Sony. I’m perplexed. I don’t how it I can make this any simpler.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Two things can be true simultaneously:

It would be a very nice feature for Sony to natively support 1440p, and it’s a shame they aren’t (if the reports are accurate).

The absence of the feature will impact a small minority of people, as the vast majority of PS5 owners will have it hooked up to a 1080p or 4K tv.

(I say this as the owner of a 1440p / 144hz monitor and a 1080p tv - I’ll be hooking the PS5 up to the latter simply for comfort and space reasons.)

I don't know anyone who has a their living room arranged around their PC monitor.

But you've made my point exactly. The majority of PS5 owners will have 1080P TVs or monitors, the next biggest group will be 4K 60Hz owners (this will grow hugely in the next few years), then it'd be people with 1440P monitors, then 4K 120hz TV owners and lastly 8K TV owners.

So someone else said earlier Sony didn't cater for 1440P users as it was miniscule. 4K 120Hz and 8K are an even smaller demographic so why cater for them? It can't be a cost saving measure or they wouldn't cater for 8K users.

They do because they want to give the user the option. To ignore 1440P is wrong I feel.

Then go with MS then. They HAVE to have that support and I’m sure azure helps pay a few of the bills. Otherwise, The negative is Cost, cost, cost for Sony. I’m perplexed. I don’t how it I can make this any simpler.

I'm buying both.

If cost is such an issue they should have dropped 8K until the mid gen refresh and supported 1440P now.

Where can you get a tv with that spec at that price?

It took me 30 seconds to type "65 inch 4k tv" it into google and found one for €540 here on one of the first links. If you shop around, wait for black Friday etc, you'll easily find cheaper.

And you're being deliberately pedantic to distract from the point at hand that the vast majority of people have TVs in their living rooms, not monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if all games have graphics options or will they auto detect? Like I have 1080p/60hz for now so don't need the higher options.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wonder if all games have graphics options or will they auto detect? Like I have 1080p/60hz for now so don't need the higher options.

Aside from setting your monitor output in the menu, on a lot of games the past while, you can choose between resolution and performance too. I'd expect that to continue.

Two things can be true simultaneously:

It would be a very nice feature for Sony to natively support 1440p, and it’s a shame they aren’t (if the reports are accurate).

The absence of the feature will impact a small minority of people, as the vast majority of PS5 owners will have it hooked up to a 1080p or 4K tv.

(I say this as the owner of a 1440p / 144hz monitor and a 1080p tv - I’ll be hooking the PS5 up to the latter simply for comfort and space reasons.)

Exactly. I also own both a 1440p 144hz monitor on the desk in my office and a proper tv in the living room in front of my couch and I know which one I'll be using. Very few people have a 1440p monitor. Absolutely nobody who's in the market for a games console doesn't own a tv. So of course they're catering for the more important group. Another storm in a teacup from toxic elements of the gaming community who like to whinge at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

It took me 30 seconds to type "65 inch 4k tv" it into google and found one for €540 here on one of the first links. If you shop around, wait for black Friday etc, you'll easily find cheaper.

And you're being deliberately pedantic to distract from the point at hand that the vast majority of people have TVs in their living rooms, not monitors.

Think you've taken me up the wrong way. I hadn't really read what you were discussing. I just seen the spec and my ears pricked cause I'm in the market for a 4k tv with 60hz at around that budget.

But just on that tv you linked, from what I was reading that tv isn't the very best. Concept of those tvs is good but firmware updates ruin it and the wifi adapter is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Penn wrote: »
    Aside from setting your monitor output in the menu, on a lot of games the past while, you can choose between resolution and performance too. I'd expect that to continue.

Yea pretty much, PS5 will really just be a continuation of the Pro in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

Exactly. I also own both a 1440p 144hz monitor on the desk in my office and a proper tv in the living room in front of my couch and I know which one I'll be using. Very few people have a 1440p monitor. Absolutely nobody who's in the market for a games console doesn't own a tv. So of course they're catering for the more important group. Another storm in a teacup from toxic elements of the gaming community who like to whinge at every opportunity.

Ah here! Toxic elements! :pac:

People are saying 1440p would have been a nice feature to include, and it would be! I have both 1440p monitor and OLED (my pride and joy). I'll be playing on my TV, but when 'I'm a Celebrity' starts, I'll be kicked out of my living room everynight for a few weeks, would be nice to have the option of being properly compatible!

PS4 pro looks dirt on the monitor whatever way it upscales / downscales. It savage looking on PC, has G-Sync and all that.

I honestly have no clue what you guys are talking about...

I feel like the guy in the ad:
    I don't even know what a tracker mortgage it

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

I spent about that on a 4k 43" about a year and a half ago l, would've loved a bigger tv at the time but that was the biggest one in my price range I could find :( and to kick me while I'm down the thing is plagued with dead pixels in one corner now :(

Anyway personally I will be using my 1440p 144hz monitor for my ps5 until I find a 4k monitor I like, can't play games on TV

Kremin wrote: »
    I spent about that on a 4k 43" about a year and a half ago l, would've loved a bigger tv at the time but that was the biggest one in my price range I could find :( and to kick me while I'm down the thing is plagued with dead pixels in one corner now :(

Anyway personally I will be using my 1440p 144hz monitor for my ps5 until I find a 4k monitor I like, can't play games on TV

If it has dead pixels I'd get onto the shop you bought it from and see can they replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭matt360

Anyone know what the latest update from GameStop is? How will they be fulfilling their orders on launch day?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

They are talking about something that really doesn't matter but is very important to some people, if you can't follow it then good news, you are not affected!
    matt360 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the latest update from GameStop is? How will they be fulfilling their orders on launch day?
    Cheers

There's a few posts about this if you go back a couple of days but IIRC if you ordered for delivery your fine, if you ordered for collection from one of the (very few) stores offering click and collect your fine, if you ordered for collection from a store that is closed you will have to wait till after the lockdown lifts to get your console.

All of this is of course assuming you have been guaranteed a console in the first place which very few have been.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nothing as complicated as tracker mortgages ;) Most TVs are 1080p or 4K, but for monitors there’s an in-between 1440p. It tends to be a good middle-ground since few people own PC hardware to push actual 4K graphics consistently. So 1440p is typically a nice boost over 1080p without melting a graphics card in the process.

It’s also a sweet spot for higher refresh rates - meaning you can play at a superior resolution while also enjoying better frame rates.

Microsoft is giving 1440p a bit of a boost, since that’s the target for the Xbox Series S. In short: 1440p is a good compromise for gaming monitors, but remains uncommon for TVs.

• 60hz is not the selling point of the PS5
    120hz is
    60hz is last gen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

In short, it would be nice to have the option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement