Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

60hz is not the selling point of the PS5
    120hz is
    60hz is last gen

The selling point of the PS5 is that it is the next iteration of the current most popular console.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    In short, it would be nice to have the option.

This. They have no excuse not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Tempted to get Dirt 5 now after watching the video about the 120fps mode and the features with the Dualsense.
    I still have so much to do in Gran Turismo Sport though. I hope that gets a patch to fully use the the dualsense.

• Markitron wrote: »
    The selling point of the PS5 is that it is the next iteration of the current most popular console.

This. They have no excuse not to.

mUJazhg.jpg

Point 3 of 4

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

matt360 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the latest update from GameStop is? How will they be fulfilling their orders on launch day?
    Cheers

Looking at the Xbox thread people with in store orders seemed to get emails last night with coupon codes. You basically logged into the website entered your code and that deducted your deposit/however much you had paid towards the console and then you paid the rest and checked out.

You had to pay €3.50/3.95 then for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

mUJazhg.jpg

Point 3 of 4

PS4 Pro didn't hit 4k at 60 for most games, it was usually an option to pick between performance or resolution. I'd be happy out if games just hit 4k at 60. I don't fancy shelling out for hdmi 2.1 when it looks like it has minimum support from games at this time. Maybe when the Ps5 pro hits.

• Advertisement

mUJazhg.jpg

Point 3 of 4

At what point did I say it wasn't a feature? You said it was the selling point of the PS5 which it quite obviously isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

blaa85 wrote: »
    PS4 Pro didn't hit 4k at 60 for most games, it was usually an option to pick between performance or resolution. I'd be happy out if games just hit 4k at 60. I don't fancy shelling out for hdmi 2.1 when it looks like it has minimum support from games at this time. Maybe when the Ps5 pro hits.

PS5 will hopefully do 60fps at native 4k.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    PS5 will hopefully do 60fps at native 4k.

It will sometimes but I wouldn't expect it often, neither Demon's Souls nor Spiderman MM can manage this and they are basically the major showcases for the hardware.

Tbh I am more than happy with dynamic 4k/60 FPS and Ultra settings/ 30FPS going forward. Getting 60 fps even close to a standard feature would be a massive achievement by itself. As the gen goes on, actual native 4k will pretty much be a waste of resources anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

GameStop haven't updated on the PS5 orders in stores that are closed yet as they are dealing with the Xbox launch first.

If you ordered in store in a store that is closed you will be given a unique voucher code tied to your order to order it online and get it arranged for delivery the same way Xbox is being done.

If you are worried check the Xbox pre order thread

GameStop haven't updated on the PS5 orders in stores that are closed yet as they are dealing with the Xbox launch first.

If you ordered in store in a store that is closed you will be given a unique voucher code tied to your order to order it online and get it arranged for delivery the same way Xbox is being done.

If you are worried check the Xbox pre order thread

Glad people will be getting their consoles but that sounds like an absolute ****show

• Advertisement

Nothing as complicated as tracker mortgages ;) Most TVs are 1080p or 4K, but for monitors there’s an in-between 1440p. It tends to be a good middle-ground since few people own PC hardware to push actual 4K graphics consistently. So 1440p is typically a nice boost over 1080p without melting a graphics card in the process.

It’s also a sweet spot for higher refresh rates - meaning you can play at a superior resolution while also enjoying better frame rates.

Microsoft is giving 1440p a bit of a boost, since that’s the target for the Xbox Series S. In short: 1440p is a good compromise for gaming monitors, but remains uncommon for TVs.

Yup.... you lost me!

Thank you though for trying.

I'm not very tech literate. I have a telly that does that HDR and 4k malarkey so i reckon im good. not even sure i have all that stuff turned on in my settings.

Again though, thanks for trying to teach this old dog new tricks.

Yup.... you lost me!

Thank you though for trying.

I'm not very tech literate. I have a telly that does that HDR and 4k malarkey so i reckon im good. not even sure i have all that stuff turned on in my settings.

Again though, thanks for trying to teach this old dog new tricks.

When you get your PS5, it will auto detect your TV and do all the work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If it has dead pixels I'd get onto the shop you bought it from and see can they replace it.

Harvey Norman deemed the issue too small to replace or repair and told me if it gets worse they'll look again.. to be fair it's one of those things that most won't notice but once you see it you can't unsee it. Just going to steer clear of the brand of tv from now on because it's honestly been nothing but trouble

Kremin wrote: »
    Harvey Norman deemed the issue too small to replace or repair and told me if it gets worse they'll look again.. to be fair it's one of those things that most won't notice but once you see it you can't unsee it. Just going to steer clear of the brand of tv from now on because it's honestly been nothing but trouble

A dead pixel is a huge deal, don't let them brush you off like that. You are entitled to a repair or a replacement

• Markitron wrote: »
    At what point did I say it wasn't a feature? You said it was the selling point of the PS5 which it quite obviously isn't.

It clearly is!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kremin wrote: »

I remember working for Sony Laptops before and the policy was something like 4-6 dead pixels in a new laptop were 'acceptable'. Had people calling saying they have a dead pixel on their £2000+ new laptop and we're like "nothing we can do". If i bought a new laptop/telly and it had even 1 dead pixel, I'd be going ballistic until they gave me a new one as i also learned from that job, shout loud enough and you'll get what you want if any bit deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I remember working for Sony Laptops before and the policy was something like 4-6 dead pixels in a new laptop were 'acceptable'. Had people calling saying they have a dead pixel on their £2000+ new laptop and we're like "nothing we can do". If i bought a new laptop/telly and it had even 1 dead pixel, I'd be going ballistic until they gave me a new one as i also learned from that job, shout loud enough and you'll get what you want if any bit deserved.

The depressing thing I’ve heard and seen from lots of people I know who have to deal with customers is that if you’re a big enough c*nt you’ll get your way, and if you’re nice you generally won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Koolhanger

I received an email from Gamestop last week confirming I was part of the "launch allocation" for the PS5. I then received a text on Monday to say my local store would be in contact with me about the arrangements. They called me yesterday and I'm booked in to collect mine from the store at 9:30am on Thursday, 19th November. Not sure about other stores around the country, but thankfully my experience has been nothing but positive with Gamestop on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Just on the the discussion regarding 60FPS and 120FPS. If for example you have a 4k tv that has a 50hz panel. Does that mean that the PS5 will actually run games at 50FPS or will it drop down to 30FPS?

Put simply, does the software only run at 30fps, 60fps or 120fps and nothing in between?

Apologies if this is a silly question but I just don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The depressing thing I’ve heard and seen from lots of people I know who have to deal with customers is that if you’re a big enough c*nt you’ll get your way, and if you’re nice you generally won’t.

Yupp but i also took from it if you don't ask, you don't get. I get yearly discounts on my utility bills, insurances, etc because i ring them and straight out ask in a nice manner. I know to escalate things when I'm being ****ed over as well. Job was a nightmare but made me a ton of savings over the years :)

As for PlayStation 5, even though we are 2 weeks out, I'm excited for xbox release next week to see how how
    New games play.

Mostly though, looking forward to a possible Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster announcement on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

DIRT 5 | PlayStation 5 Special Look | Gameplay and Next-Gen Details

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Just on the the discussion regarding 60FPS and 120FPS. If for example you have a 4k tv that has a 50hz panel. Does that mean that the PS5 will actually run games at 50FPS or will it drop down to 30FPS?

Put simply, does the software only run at 30fps, 60fps or 120fps and nothing in between?

Every 50Hz panel also supports 60Hz, it's just an outdated way of listing the refresh rate due to TV's broadcast frame rate in Europe.

A 50 Hz panel is actually 60 Hz in this part of the world, its just confusing jargon and it varies massively depending on region and manufacturer.

If a game runs with a framerate that sits inbetween these (most commonly 30 and 60 fps) it will manifest as a juddering effect as the game isn't drawing enough frames to keep up with the refresh of the display. A good example of this is Tomb Raider definitive edition on PS4, which ran at a near constant 40-45 fps.
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Mostly though, looking forward to a possible Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster announcement on Saturday.

Have I missed something? Is this actually gonna be announced this time? Christ EA need to **** or get off the pot on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was looking up what games ubisoft said wouldn't work on PS5 and seems they deleted the post, citing inaccuracies

https://www.engadget.com/ps5-backward-compatibility-ubisoft-assassins-creed-syndicate-184754883.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Safe to say that is somewhat of an improvement on the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Koolhanger wrote: »
    I received an email from Gamestop last week confirming I was part of the "launch allocation" for the PS5. I then received a text on Monday to say my local store would be in contact with me about the arrangements. They called me yesterday and I'm booked in to collect mine from the store at 9:30am on Thursday, 19th November. Not sure about other stores around the country, but thankfully my experience has been nothing but positive with Gamestop on this occasion.

My local store is shut, and the silence is a bit worrying in that regard. I got the email too, but being left in the dark with regards to how console pre orders will be fulfilled for those with shut stores is a bit crappy.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was looking up what games ubisoft said wouldn't work on PS5 and seems they deleted the post, citing inaccuracies

https://www.engadget.com/ps5-backward-compatibility-ubisoft-assassins-creed-syndicate-184754883.html
    The back story is that Sony recently put up an API that developers can use to check the compatibility status of their games.

It reports games as COMPATIBLE, BOOTABLE, NOT_COMPATIBLE (and N/A). BOOTABLE means it plays but with errors or unexpected behaviour.

The Ubisoft titles (Syndicate, Star Trek Bridge Crew etc) are showing as BOOTABLE

Someone scraped the API and presented it here:
    https://andshrew.github.io/supreme-enigma/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    My local store is shut, and the silence is a bit worrying in that regard. I got the email too, but being left in the dark with regards to how console pre orders will be fulfilled for those with shut stores is a bit crappy.

Read the xbox thread.

I'd say they'll update the PS5 pre-orders next Wednesday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement