Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just watching IGN's Beyond podcast and they said it took about 15 minutes to download Miles Morales.
    I know it depends on internet speeds but even though I have Siro, my PS4 speeds are nowhere near using full bandwidth.

Also have SIRO and I didn't see any download speed increase switching from Virgin 240MB to SIRO gigabit on PS4.

Hopefully they've made downloads faster, but we can't ignore that IGN would have been downloading from servers under zero load 2-3 weeks before the console is released. It could be as bad as PS4 when you have thousands all over the world downloading games, videos and updates, and I don't just mean at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oat23 wrote: »
    Also have SIRO and I didn't see any download speed increase switching from Virgin 240MB to SIRO gigabit on PS4.

Hopefully they've made downloads faster, but we can't ignore that IGN would have been downloading from servers under zero load 2-3 weeks before the console is released. It could be as bad as PS4 when you have thousands all over the world downloading games, videos and updates, and I don't just mean at launch.

At the very least I'd say downloading might be the same speed, but the Copying (which as I understand it is basically unzipping the files) and Installing should be much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

So the ultimate edition of Spiderman had the original game included?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

So the ultimate edition of Spiderman had the original game included?

Yep the "remastered" version of the original

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I see ones posting on ResetEra that they received Camera adapter dispatch mails

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Dave Lee isn't one to shy away from painting his console.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've had a 69gb PS3 and have a 500gb PS4 , both HDDs. If I get useable over 600gb SSD I'll be happy.

Also my most recent COD is over 220gb when everything in installed. Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Niska

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Dave Lee isn't one to shy away from painting his console.

<snip>

Video shoiwung how easy it is to remove the sideplates:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Niska wrote: »

The first video there said they are embargoed from showing the disassembly process (for some reason even though the teardown exists), and I've heard that in another video too.

Wonder if this dude knows he broke embargo.

Niska wrote: »

That looks incredibly easy alright, although I didn't think anyone could show that yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

rm212 wrote: »
    Anyone with the money looking for a TV, just go with the LG CX or even BX if you need to shave off some cost. It is absolutely stunning. If you enjoy watching movies and TV shows on the likes of Netflix, Prime Video and Apple TV, you are in for a treat because 4K HDR/Dolby Vision content is mind-blowing on this. I got mine (65 inch) a few weeks ago and I've never been so stunned by a TV before. It's also 120Hz and HDMI 2.1, perfect for next gen.

LG's webos is genuinely one of the best smart TV systems I've used too. Very clean, minimal, super fast and snappy and does everything you need it to do.

Have a C9 so not happy

https://www.notebookcheck.net/VRR-Gamma-problems-with-LG-CX-and-C9-OLED-TVs-may-leave-PlayStation-5-and-Xbox-Series-X-gamers-with-a-headache.502464.0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I've read a lot about it, it's basically slightly elevated blacks when you're using VRR (which will probably have limited support anyway). Most people don't even notice it, it's such a minor thing. Also there is no TV with perfect VRR at the moment - https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-cx-c9-vrr-issues.2312060/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

PS5 doesn't have VRR support:
    https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1324730306520383489?s=20

Bad form from Sony, no VRR, no 1440p, can't use an external drive as a "pack mule" for PS5 games.

Vincent speculates that it might be that the console is still waiting on certification from the HDMI standards board.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

All products must comply with Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification and the HDMI 2.1 Compliance Test Specification (CTS); and until the CTS is available and a product has passed compliance testing a product cannot claim to be 2.1 compliant or market that it supports 2.1 features.

Anyone know of any time Sony have claimed it's HDMI 2.1, any mention I can think of is from third parties. The teardown mentions the USB versions for each port but not the HDMI.

The certification thing might be true, if they've never marketed it as such. Looking at box pictures it's not mentioned anywhere.

Varik wrote: »
    Anyone know of any time Sony have claimed it's HDMI 2.1, any mention I can think of is from third parties. The teardown mentions the USB versions for each port but not the HDMI.

The certification thing might be true, if they've never marketed it as such. Looking at box pictures it's not mentioned anywhere.

I seem to remember some of the people doing unboxing videos acted like they were under embargo regarding the bundled cable, i.e. unable to specify if it was HDMI 2.0 or 2.1. But I think someone (maybe one of the DF guys) later unofficially confirmed it was 2.1. May have been for the same reason (certification).

The official PS blog did include this in the specs post back in March;

Video Out Support of 4K 120Hz TVs, 8K TVs, VRR (specified by HDMI ver.2.1)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I’d imagine it’s just a case of the pre-release system software not having it implemented yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

rm212 wrote: »
    I’d imagine it’s just a case of the pre-release system software not having it implemented yet

You would think that Sony would tell DF that. If it will be available at launch they should communicate that.

Its one thing to not have 1440p, but VRR is a feature TVs have had since 2018, and most TVs will have going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Reading Pushsquare’s review and they seem to confirm the battery life:

‘DualSense’s battery life is longer than the DualShock 4, owing to the inclusion of a larger internal battery. While the PS4 pad had a 1,000 mAh capacity, the DualSense packs 1,560 mAh battery pack. That results in the battery life averaging around six to seven hours on a full charge, which is a couple of hours longer than the DualShock 4’s average of around four to five hours.’

They go on to say playing games like Astro cut the battery life a bit, does that mean hours?!

I don’t think my DS4 has ever only lasted 4/5 hours, even after 4 years.

Doesn’t bode well as the battery starts to degrade :/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Reading Pushsquare’s review and they seem to confirm the battery life:

‘DualSense’s battery life is longer than the DualShock 4, owing to the inclusion of a larger internal battery. While the PS4 pad had a 1,000 mAh capacity, the DualSense packs 1,560 mAh battery pack. That results in the battery life averaging around [bold]six to seven hours on a full charge[/bold], which is a couple of hours longer than the DualShock 4’s average of around four to five hours.’

They go on to say playing games like Astro cut the battery life a bit, does that mean hours?!

I don’t think my DS4 has ever only lasted 4/5 hours, even after 4 years.

Doesn’t bode well as the battery starts to degrade :/

My DS4 battery was better than 4/5 hours when I got it. Was around 10 if I remember correctly. Saying that it was awful by the time I sold the console and was lucky to get 3 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Just seen it mentioned online there but i knew they where gonna stick a Black lives matter thing into Miles Morales.

Least the game seems to be getting decent reviews on most places online. Seems like a lot of it is similar to Spider Man but i enjoyed that game so no issues there!

Obviously Spider man 2 will be the one im more excited for whenever we actually get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

TitianGerm wrote: »
    My DS4 battery was better than 4/5 hours when I got it. Was around 10 if I remember correctly. Saying that it was awful by the time I sold the console and was lucky to get 3 hours.

I've never had a battery issue, still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I've never had a battery issue, still going strong.

Same! I see a lot of people on here mention the controllers but honestly from the PS1 all the way to the PS4 pro i never had any issues with any of my controllers other then the sticks getting worn a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Same! I see a lot of people on here mention the controllers but honestly from the PS1 all the way to the PS4 pro i never had any issues with any of my controllers other then the sticks getting worn a bit.

Only controller problem I've ever had was the rubber on the right stick of my DS4 cracking, but that was a common issue back in 2013. I remember Amazon refunding me for the controller and I bought replacements sticks from China for a euro :pac:

I've also never ran into issues with low storage space. Between those two things and the 1440p controversy, I think a lot of it is people moaning for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I've looked over some reviews since yesterday and I've seen a few that say the Dual Sense battery life is around 10-13 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

My main issue with the controller is usually just the charging cable. Do they think people play games right in front of their tv while charging the controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I just want that new electronics smell when you open the box at this stage :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

CastorTroy wrote: »
    My main issue with the controller is usually just the charging cable. Do they think people play games right in front of their tv while charging the controller?

I play on the sofa plugged into a phone charger mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I play about two foot away from the tv!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

fixXxer wrote: »
    I play on the sofa plugged into a phone charger mostly.

Is it a smart sofa?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement