Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good way to make yourself sleep continuously for around 9 and a half days?

My statistics lecture in College will do it for you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Anyone recommend a good external hard drive for the PS5 for storing and playing PS4 games?

Something fast enough that's not crazy money i guess!
    https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/best-hard-drive-for-ps4/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good way to make yourself sleep continuously for around 9 and a half days?

Watch the extended versions of The Hobbit trilogy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Cheers! i take it whatever works really well on the PS4 will be perfectly fine being used on the PS5 right? Speeds load times etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yogicolly

Getting PS5 delivered to Parcel Motel, going for Home Delivery as default as its too big to fit into collection points and can't drive to HQ.

Does anyone know how much I need to top up Parcel Motel account for Home Delivery of PS5? I have a credit card associated, would it not just take the cost off card instead of having me top up? Any advice here would be appreciated.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Cheers! i take it whatever works really well on the PS4 will be perfectly fine being used on the PS5 right? Speeds load times etc etc.

PS5 games can't be played or stored on external hard drives at the moment.

"No, players cannot transfer PS5 games to a USB drive," reads the answer to a question titled 'Can I store or play PS5 games from a USB drive?'. "PS5 games must be stored on the console’s internal ultra-high speed SSD for gameplay. Explorations for allowing players to store (but not play) PS5 games on a USB drive in a future update are underway."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

yogicolly wrote: »
    Getting PS5 delivered to Parcel Motel, going for Home Delivery as default as its too big to fit into collection points and can't drive to HQ.

Does anyone know how much I need to top up Parcel Motel account for Home Delivery of PS5? I have a credit card associated, would it not just take the cost off card instead of having me top up? Any advice here would be appreciated.

Cheers

If you already have a credit card linked to your account, they just charge it to your card (not sure if they do it when they scan the item into their system or when they deliver it).

PS5 games can't be played or stored on external hard drives at the moment.

"No, players cannot transfer PS5 games to a USB drive," reads the answer to a question titled 'Can I store or play PS5 games from a USB drive?'. "PS5 games must be stored on the console’s internal ultra-high speed SSD for gameplay. Explorations for allowing players to store (but not play) PS5 games on a USB drive in a future update are underway."

I know what im saying is does a drive that performs well for PS4 games on the PS4 still perform when plugged into the PS5 when playing and loading PS4 games on there? Is it a straight swap?

I know what im saying is does a drive that performs well for PS4 games on the PS4 still perform when plugged into the PS5 when playing and loading PS4 games on there? Is it a straight swap?

Apologies. Misinterpreted the question. I believe it should, and should provide a modest upgrade to loading speeds. I think Polygon had an article referencing it and they used a 2TB Seagate (it's one I have, hence remembering the specifics! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

There should be no dip in performance. In fact it should perform slightly better as PS5 has USB 3.1 ports.

• Advertisement

Apologies. Misinterpreted the question. I believe it should, and should provide a modest upgrade to loading speeds. I think Polygon had an article referencing it and they used a 2TB Seagate (it's one I have, hence remembering the specifics! :))

No worries! Ive never actually needed an external for the Playstation but might be a good option now going forward seeing as PS5 games cant be moved around just yet.

WD Black P10 drives seem to get a lot of mention from my short reading into it so far.

No worries! Ive never actually needed an external for the Playstation but might be a good option now going forward seeing as PS5 games cant be moved around just yet.

WD Black P10 drives seem to get a lot of mention from my short reading into it so far.

I dug out the relevant part of the paragraph I was referring to if its any help.
    CAN YOU PLUG IN A PS4 EXTERNAL USB DRIVE AND HAVE IT WORK IMMEDIATELY ON PS5 WITH NO HASSLE?

You sure can! Sony said this in October when it detailed PS4 backward compatibility, and we’ve confirmed as much ourselves. I moved The Last of Us Part 2 and MLB The Show 20 from my PS4 to a 2 TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim USB 3.0 external hard drive, and I was able to play both games on PS5 immediately upon plugging it into the console. That’s a traditional hard drive, mind you, and it still provided some modest improvements in load times, so you definitely don’t need to invest in an external SSD just to run PS4 games well.

While we didn’t have any USB-C storage on hand to test with the PS5, the console requires you to connect external drives that use a USB-A cable to one of the two USB 3.0 ports on the back of the PS5. That’s because the USB-A port on the front of the console only supports USB 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Taking everything into consideration, if I was buying now I'd be spending €500 on a digital PS5 and a €100 hard-drive for PS4 rather than buying the standard console.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I can't imagine space being an issue for at least a few months, at which point the landscape for SSD upgrades should be a lot clearer. I'd wait until then rather than bothering with an external drive right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Email received this afternoon....a very happy camper here

Dear Customer,

With release day right around the corner, here's a quick update on your PlayStation 5 Pre-Order!

In the run-up to release day on Thursday 19th November, you can expect the following:

1. The payment will be pre-authorised 2 - 7 days in advance - so double check those funds are available! If for any reason we are unable to pre-authorise your card, you will receive a separate email from us requesting you to re-enter card details. This must be completed within 24 hours of the email being sent to guarantee your order.

2. You will receive an email confirming your order is ready for dispatch 2 - 5 days in advance and with this you now have a tracking link! We are just getting everything ready - your tracking link will NOT BE LIVE UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE release day.

3. In order for us to ensure delivery on release day, your order will be passed over to our carrier partner, one day in advance on Wednesday 18th November.

4. You will receive delivery updates from the carrier directly on Thursday morning 19th November, please watch out for them and let them know if you are not going to be home to take delivery.

Now it's time to get excited for your shiny new PlayStation 5 - I know we are!

Best wishes,

Smyths Toys Superstores

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Smyths update

*EDIT* beaten to the punch.
    Dear Customer,

With release day right around the corner, here's a quick update on your PlayStation 5 Pre-Order!

In the run-up to release day on Thursday 19th November, you can expect the following:

1. The payment will be pre-authorised 2 - 7 days in advance - so double check those funds are available! If for any reason we are unable to pre-authorise your card, you will receive a separate email from us requesting you to re-enter card details. This must be completed within 24 hours of the email being sent to guarantee your order.

2. You will receive an email confirming your order is ready for dispatch 2 - 5 days in advance and with this you now have a tracking link! We are just getting everything ready - your tracking link will NOT BE LIVE UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE release day.

3. In order for us to ensure delivery on release day, your order will be passed over to our carrier partner, one day in advance on Wednesday 18th November.

4. You will receive delivery updates from the carrier directly on Thursday morning 19th November, please watch out for them and let them know if you are not going to be home to take delivery.

Now it's time to get excited for your shiny new PlayStation 5 - I know we are!

Best wishes,

Smyths Toys Superstores

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Decoda wrote: »
    Email received this afternoon....a very happy camper here

Dear Customer,

In the run-up to release day on Thursday 19th November, you can expect the following:

1. The payment will be pre-authorised 2 - 7 days in advance - so double check those funds are available! If for any reason we are unable to pre-authorise your card, you will receive a separate email from us requesting you to re-enter card details. This must be completed within 24 hours of the email being sent to guarantee your order.

2. You will receive an email confirming your order is ready for dispatch 2 - 5 days in advance and with this you now have a tracking link! We are just getting everything ready - your tracking link will NOT BE LIVE UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE release day.

Now it's time to get excited for your shiny new PlayStation 5 - I know we are!

Best wishes,

Smyths Toys Superstores

Just got the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Got similar, slightly shorter email but I'm for collection in store, nothing about payment like above

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

It's happening!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I got the same email. Smyths currently looking very professional and organised compared to the horror stories I keep hearing about Gamestop.

• Advertisement

Yeah, my email came through too. We're almost there guys, I'm starting to get properly excited for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Got the same for collection in Smyths....YES!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm down for C&C from Smyths as well. Did they mention anything about a specific collection time, or is it any time on the day itself (still awaiting my email)?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wing126 wrote: »
    Yeah, my email came through too. We're almost there guys, I'm starting to get properly excited for it!

Lot of people telling me there's no way i get it release day from smyths. This email has made me feel better.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I'm down for C&C from Smyths as well. Did they mention anything about a specific collection time, or is it any time on the day itself (still awaiting my email)?

Just from 8am.

Mr Crispy wrote: »

No specific time mentioned no.
    Dear Customer,

With release day right around the corner, here's a quick update on your PlayStation 5 Pre-Order.

You will receive a ready for collection email and SMS when your order is ready for collection. Our stores will be open for collection from 8am on launch day - Thursday 19th November.

Please ensure you bring your ready for collection email and photo identification. If you are unable to collect your Pre-Order, you can have someone else collect on your behalf once they have your permission. In these cases, photo identification of the person who placed the order and the ready for collection email are required.

Please note our stores are not open for browsing so if you wish to purchase any additional PlayStation 5 items, please order online in advance via Click & Collect and you can collect them on launch day.

Now it is time to get excited for your shiny new PlayStation 5 - I know we are!

Best wishes,

Smyths Toys Superstores
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Lot of people telling me there's no way i get it release day from smyths. This email has made me feel better.

Same haha. Well pleased with Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭DeadWeight

Got worried when I saw the update thought it was gonna be cancelled next gen is just around the corner lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Wing126 wrote: »

I have mine with Amazon but really excited here - first time ever. Hopefully wont disappoint!

Not sure if this was posted earlier but seems sharing will work the same way

https://gamerant.com/ps5-game-sharing-service-details/

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

just got my smyths e-mail also. very very very giddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement