Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Xenji wrote: »
    Looks like Smyths will be using a variety of couriers, Demon Souls is coming with Fastway, Godfall with DPD and the Pulse Headset with UPS.

The fact that you can only pre-order one item at a time with Smyths is probably the worst thing about ordering from them.

Three couriers for what could easily be one is unnecessary and wasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

On my C9 when the screen has been paused on anything for over 3 minutes it automatically goes to screen saver mode. Handy

Only if its an internal TV app such as netflix/disney etc if its one of the HDMI inputs it doesn't do the screensaver. Cracking tvs though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Been watching Demon Souls preview stuff. Very interested in how the reviews go.

Markitron wrote: »
    The C9 has pixel-shifting as well, you really won't get burn-in unless you really try to do it on purpose.

It does have pixel shift but don't know if i'd go as far as to say you won't get it unless you do it purpose. I dont think its something people should be that worried about. I did a lot of research before buying the C9 last year and there is a lot of misinformation online how how bad burn in actually is. Its not bad but something to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

C denotes the model doesn’t change. Next year’s line up will be B11, C11, G11, W11 most likely.

Sorry yeah that’s what I meant thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I'd like to see someone do an actual analysis of the flickering, so we can see for ourselves how bad it is (it'll look worse in some games than it does in others obviously).

Also, as far as I know the issue is worse the further you go from 120Hz. So games outputting 60 FPS with VRR on will look worse than those hitting 120FPS.

That’s what I got from it too, so the problem gets worse the lower the frame refresh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

jones wrote: »
    It does have pixel shift but don't know if i'd go as far as to say you won't get it unless you do it purpose. I dont think its something people should be that worried about. I did a lot of research before buying the C9 last year and there is a lot of misinformation online how how bad burn in actually is. Its not bad but something to be aware of.

I think we are essentially saying the same thing from a different angle, it is possible but practically highly unlikely to happen in any kind of normal circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Quiksilver wrote: »
    Quick question all, who has gotten an LG CX for their PS5? I’m strongly considering getting one, just worried about the potential for burn in during long gaming sessions. Was going to go with Samsung Q90T but it has only one hdmi 2.1 port and I worry the hdr might not be as good.
    Anyone any experience with the LG CX sets?

I just bought the CX too, Im also slightly worried as I play a lot of RPGs like Genshin and Persona with static HUDs, Ill hope for the best.
    The Samsung Q9 gets ultra bright so the HDR is probably even better than on the CX though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Just read an article there, and seemingly the PS5 won't support Dolby Atmos nor Dolby Vision. Bit of a blow in terms of the UHD Blu Ray player. I believe the Xbox supports these formats.

I've found Dolby Vision to be superior to HDR 10, but its hard to gauge using a streaming service vs Physical Media.

Article:
    https://www.whathifi.com/news/it-seems-the-ps5-is-lacking-both-dolby-vision-and-dolby-atmos

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Just read an article there, and seemingly the PS5 won't support Dolby Atmos nor Dolby Vision. Bit of a blow in terms of the UHD Blu Ray player. I believe the Xbox supports these formats.

I've found Dolby Vision to be superior to HDR 10, but its hard to gauge using a streaming service vs Physical Media.

Article:
    https://www.whathifi.com/news/it-seems-the-ps5-is-lacking-both-dolby-vision-and-dolby-atmos

Atmos and Vision were the only things I’d have interest in having the drive for. Glad I went with the DE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Article:

Yes it is a shame. Maybe they can down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭micks_address

Atmos and Vision were the only things I’d have interest in having the drive for. Glad I went with the DE

Something they could add easily in firmware updates. Atmos i'm not to bothered about. Good 5.1 is still pretty awesome

Article:

If it can bitstream the audio, it supports Atmos. Even the PS3 could do this. There is no excuse, they may have just not gone into that detail or something.

And yea DV in general is better than HDR10.

I dont think its that the PS5 physically cant do it it's down to licencing and paying dolby. Bit annoying as DV is by far the most impressive version of HDR that i've seen in action. Doubt it'll ever be on PS5 unfortunately.

jones wrote: »
    I dont think its that the PS5 physically cant do it it's down to licencing and paying dolby. Bit annoying as DV is by far the most impressive version of HDR that i've seen in action. Doubt it'll ever be on PS5 unfortunately.

Without doubt, Atmos should still be fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Disappointing to see that PS5 is not supporting as many format as the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

wes wrote: »
    Disappointing to see that PS5 is not supporting as many format as the Xbox.

As long as it supports Demons Souls, I'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

SMYTHS
    anyone know when we will start getting communication RE: PS5 deliveries etc.
    Surely it will before launch day for payment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Parsnips wrote: »
    SMYTHS

Its automated, the money will be deducted a few days before, youll receive a text and an email, you go collect

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Its automated, the money will be deducted a few days before, youll receive a text and an email, you go collect

Jobs Oxo.
    I have for delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Parsnips wrote: »
    SMYTHS

I have the PS5 for delivery from Smyths, and also the media remote which is being delivered this week.

Payment for the remote was taken overnight, and I got emails from UPS and then Smyths this morning to track the delivery. Should hopefully follow the same process next week for the console so it arrives on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭cannco253

Atmos doesn't make a difference to most people, unless you've got the full Atmos speaker setup. For headphones Sony are pushing their proprietary 3D audio technology. I haven't seen any TVs/Soundbars yet certified for Tempest Engine, but surely will come in the future.

https://www.tomsguide.com/features/ps5-and-3d-audio-everything-you-need-to-know

"Given that 3D audio on the PS5 will use the Tempest Engine, it’s likely that dedicated hardware will be needed to tap into it, much like Dolby Atmos certified hardware is needed to get the most out of its audio capabilities.

Cerny has said the PS5 will be able to deliver 3D sound through your TV’s audio setup. But to get the best out of it it looks like you’ll need a Pulse 3D wireless headset. That’s Sony's official PS5 gaming headphones that are “fine-tuned” for 3D audio.

We just got some good news, though: PlayStation's Isabelle Tomatis posted a blog stating that "On the PS5, you’ll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own."

We can expect other Sony devices, such as its Bravia TV range and home cinema systems to come with Tempest Engine compatibility. But when the PS5 launches, predicted to be November time, the only likely way to get access to 3D audio in all its glory is through the Pulse 3D wireless headset."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

sticker wrote: »
    I have a confirmed preorder of PS5 with Gamestop.

I preordered with my PayPal account which is tied to my credit card – which has a sizeable limit and no fees outstanding. I assume if my PayPal balance is low, the preorder will just come from my Credit Card and not effect the order?

Anyone know about this - PayPal Preorders? Thanks!

cannco253 wrote: »
    Atmos doesn't make a difference to most people, unless you've got the full Atmos speaker setup. For headphones Sony are pushing their proprietary 3D audio technology. I haven't seen any TVs/Soundbars yet certified for Tempest Engine, but surely will come in the future.

I'm not so sure about that, but at least surround sound is being paid some attention again. Surround fields this gen were noticeably flat aside from a few exceptions, playing Gears in Atmos was ****ing amazing.

My paypal balance is always zero, whenever I buy something with it it just deducts the funds from my card so you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

cannco253 wrote: »

https://www.tomsguide.com/features/ps5-and-3d-audio-everything-you-need-to-know

"Given that 3D audio on the PS5 will use the Tempest Engine, it’s likely that dedicated hardware will be needed to tap into it, much like Dolby Atmos certified hardware is needed to get the most out of its audio capabilities.

Cerny has said the PS5 will be able to deliver 3D sound through your TV’s audio setup. But to get the best out of it it looks like you’ll need a Pulse 3D wireless headset. That’s Sony's official PS5 gaming headphones that are “fine-tuned” for 3D audio.

We just got some good news, though: PlayStation's Isabelle Tomatis posted a blog stating that "On the PS5, you’ll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own."

We can expect other Sony devices, such as its Bravia TV range and home cinema systems to come with Tempest Engine compatibility. But when the PS5 launches, predicted to be November time, the only likely way to get access to 3D audio in all its glory is through the Pulse 3D wireless headset."

Wow that's disgraceful misinformation by Tom's Guide, absolutely disgraceful. They are completely and utterly wrong. The whole point of the Tempest 3D Audio Engine is that it works with any headset (at least, anything which can be plugged into PS5, so USB wired, USB wireless dongle or 3.5mm jack). Even your iPhone Earbuds can get 3D Audio with it.

TVs, soundbars and surround sound setups will not be able to use Tempest at launch, however, they have promised support will arrive after launch and again, it will be able to work with ANY speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

When checkout with Paypal it asks you to select a card. It will show a pending transaction on the Paypal account. The money will be taken from that card on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Thanks guys for PayPal feedback! But I think I might have said PayPal Balance on the transaction... I wonder will the tied Credit Card be used if there are no funds there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    As long as it supports Demons Souls, I'm happy :)

Its not that big deal. I have a Series X for Atmos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement